Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Actifry & AirFryer Thread - Merged

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭holdmybeer

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    The best chips I have made have been those as described in the booklet that comes with the airfryer - chop up your spuds (I actually have gone as a far as cubes on occasion, to me, this is the best), soak them in water for 30-40mins beforehand, dry and lather with oil.

The 1-2 teaspoon of oil is a waste of time. If you want flavour, add oil, a good dollop of it. I think it is still better than deep-frying.

Just the usual sunflower oil or something else?
    So you lather the spuds with oil and then add more oil into the Actifry, is that right?
    I got some left over spuds so I might try this later.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,881 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

He's talking about the Airfryer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

Got this in Argos over the weekend and kids love the curly fries it makes ,about 15-20 minutes in the air fryer, it also makes some yummy veg noodles or spaghetti for those of us watching what we eat in the new year. It also makes short work of onions which again are fab when done in the air fryer .
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/4454580/Trail/searchtext%3ESLATER.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 15,181 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Not sure who mentioned the champion chips first, but you're a hero. They're amazing :pac:.
    I've had my airfryer for about 5 weeks now after moving on from my battered old actifry and I couldn't be happier with it. The convenience of being able to cook everything in one machine together is the biggest thing.
    CCOGBEH.jpg
    harr wrote: »
    Got this in Argos over the weekend and kids love the curly fries it makes ,about 15-20 minutes in the air fryer, it also makes some yummy veg noodles or spaghetti for those of us watching what we eat in the new year. It also makes short work of onions which again are fab when done in the air fryer .
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/4454580/Trail/searchtext%3ESLATER.htm

I used to love the fried tornado potato thing street vendors make with that machine..none in stock near me though :(
    Probably for the best I don't get one!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,957 ✭✭✭Doge

Funny you mentioned chips today, i had my 2nd try and they came out poor again. I used Green Isle's Steak cut chips "for frying" this time and added a tablsepoon and a half of Vegetable Oil and stirred them in a bowl. Was only doing one portion for myself so didnt want to add lots more oil.

Came out fairly dry and crispy, i even tried them before they were done and didnt like them.

How exactly did you cook the champion fries?

I almost threw in the towel before reading your post and was going to buy hash browns from then on instead.

The chicken kiev i had with them was lovely though.

• Advertisement

BTW do people still want a scan of the divider?

Doge wrote: »
    Funny you mentioned chips today, i had my 2nd try and they came out poor again. I used Green Isle's Steak cut chips "for frying" this time and added a tablsepoon and a half of Vegetable Oil and stirred them in a bowl. Was only doing one portion for myself so didnt want to add lots more oil.

Came out fairly dry and crispy, i even tried them before they were done and didnt like them.

How exactly did you cook the champion fries?

I almost threw in the towel before reading your post and was going to buy hash browns from then on instead.

The chicken kiev i had with them was lovely though.
    For the green bag from Aldi I don't preheat. I cook them at 180 for 14 minutes and then 200 for 3.

The reason I cook at 180 is because I am usually cooking something else that needs to be done at that temperature, but the chips cook fine for me at 180. I tried 200c for 15 minutes my first try and they burned.

FYI the chips in my pic have seasoning on them, they are not really, really well done as the pic might suggest.

Oat23 wrote: »
    For the green bag from Aldi I don't preheat. I cook them at 180 for 14 minutes and then 200 for 3.

The reason I cook at 180 is because I am usually cooking something else that needs to be done at that temperature, but the chips cook fine for me at 180. I tried 200c for 15 minutes my first try and they burned.

FYI the chips in my pic have seasoning on them, they are not really, really well done as the pic might suggest.

Thanks for the info!

I presume you cooked them from frozen?

Trying to examine all the variables as to why mine come out so ****ty.

I think I might just be a compete homer when it comes to airfrying chips! :D

the-simpsons-homer-simpson-cooking.gif

I'm going to try this southern airfried Chicken recipe tomorrow, and if it's nice I'll throw up a pdf I'm making as the author's writing style is all over the place and spanned across 2 separate pages to make things worse!

Just tried my new fav chip, they are the tesco salt&pepper crinkle chips...crisp on the outside and fluffy on inside a great chip for the air fryer ....😄

Thanks for the info!

I presume you cooked them from frozen?

I'm going to try this southern airfried Chicken recipe tomorrow, and if it's nice I'll throw up a pdf I'm making as the author's writing style is all over the place and spanned across 2 separate pages to make things worse!

Correct!

I also plan to attempt fried chicken in my air fryer at some point. I have tub of the 'Chicken Seasoning Plus' product sold by Marion Kay, which is the original KFC recipe from the 70s that Sanders sold to them. It's fantastic, but I absolutely hate buying oil and frying in a pot because of the smell. If fried chicken in the air fryer is half decent I'll be delighted.
    harr wrote: »
    Just tried my new fav chip, they are the tesco salt&pepper crinkle chips...crisp on the outside and fluffy on inside a great chip for the air fryer ....😄

They're new from tesco, aren't they? I've seen them on their site just recently. I'll have to pick up a bag and try them.

• Advertisement

Correct!

I also plan to attempt fried chicken in my air fryer at some point. I have tub of the 'Chicken Seasoning Plus' product sold by Marion Kay, which is the original KFC recipe from the 70s that Sanders sold to them. It's fantastic, but I absolutely hate buying oil and frying in a pot because of the smell. If fried chicken in the air fryer is half decent I'll be delighted.

They're new from tesco, aren't they? I've seen them on their site just recently. I'll have to pick up a bag and try them.
    Only new I think, first time I seen them was yesterday ,I also picked up a bag of frozen sweet potato chips which are fab as well...

Here's how the chicken turned out today:

gppVrJM.jpg

Sorry, resizing ain't working on my phone atm! :p

It was nice enough but it makes me wonder if there are nicer recipies out there! ;)

The coating lifted off quite easily when eating so maybe I should have added the egg as suggested in the update.

I only used normal breadcrumbs as I'm not sure who sell panko breadcrumbs locally, I also used what I "think" is cumin powder, its some Spice that has been in the kitchen a long time! :p

The chips however came out much better, much softer and not dry and crispy, a lot more like chipper chips! :)

This was due to using the same cooking instructions as the chicken, preheat to 200 degrrees, cook for 10 minutes at 200 and then for another 10 minutes at 150 degrees.

Some people might prefer to leave them on slightly longer.

Anyway here's the pdf as promised:

Correct!

How did you manage to get your hands on Chicken Seasoning Plus? :)

I wonder if there's anything like it we can buy over in the UK and Ireland.

Don't forget to brush some oil on to prevent the seasoning from sticking.

How did you manage to get your hands on Chicken Seasoning Plus? :)

I wonder if there's anything like it we can buy over in the UK and Ireland.

Don't forget to brush some oil on to prevent the seasoning from sticking.

When I was in the US I placed an order on their site and had it delivered to the place I was staying. They offer shipping to here if you email them, but it costs more than the product! You do get about 270g for the $7 though, which is enough for about 15 full chickens when you add the flour to it. It lasts ages.

Have you ever marinated chicken in buttermilk for a few hours before cooking? It will tenderize the meat and add flavour. It would also help the breadcrumbs/flour stick to the chicken.

Have you ever marinated chicken in buttermilk for a few hours before cooking? It will tenderize the meat and add flavour. It would also help the breadcrumbs/flour stick to the chicken.

Nope, in fairly new to all this. :)
    The recipie I used did mention buttermilk as an option alright. Must give it a go sometime.

Be sure to let us all know how you get on with your Southern Air Fryed Chicken when you try it out!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

There's an amazing recipe for fried chicken in the Cooking Club, I've made it myself but not in the Airfryer yet.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056852574

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Mine just shut off and won't turn back on, anyone else have this?

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Mine just shut off and won't turn back on, anyone else have this?

Sometimes when mine finishes and i put it back on for an extra 2 or 3 minutes it cuts out. It only happens if i put it on for a short amount of time after large amount of time.

Do you check the fuse?

I think the timer isnt the best on these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,260 ✭✭✭greasepalm

yes the 2 minute thing could cook for 10 sec then switch off,same on mine,set for longer cooking time and i power off at switch on wall plate if done.philips hot air frier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭mel123

There is some quite old threads so I thought I would start a new one here for any chat relating to the airfryer, there is a bit of chat on bargain alerts.

If anyone has any recipes, tips, see's any accessories etc.

Some people seem to think this is the best thing since sliced bread. Im not convinced yet but i think i just haven't mastered it yet.

I've tried chips three times already and all three times they are inedible. I cant figure out what i'm doing wrong. Anyone any tips?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭amber2

Would it be the type of potatoe you are using, perhaps it might make a difference, I use roosters peel and slice leave them soak for as long as possible in water to remove as much starch as you can, then pat them dry with kitchen paper, place them in a bowel with a tablespoon of oil give them a quick mix to coat in oil, have the airfryer hot and throw your chips in the basket for 20/25 minutes, that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭mel123

Do you just leave the chips and go off away and do your business? what temperature?
    i got the marie pipers (spelling) last week. I am raging i didnt take a picture. It like they come out hard on the inside, and brown on the outside after about 18 minutes. Ive pre heated the fryer and then put them in i think it was on about 180. I soaked them for about half an hour before hand. I didnt coat in oil.
    My mother has a tefal one, and her chips are amazeballs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

mel123 wrote: »
    Do you just leave the chips and go off away and do your business? what temperature?
    i got the marie pipers (spelling) last week. I am raging i didnt take a picture. It like they come out hard on the inside, and brown on the outside after about 18 minutes. Ive pre heated the fryer and then put them in i think it was on about 180. I soaked them for about half an hour before hand. I didnt coat in oil.
    My mother has a tefal one, and her chips are amazeballs.

chips are done at 180 in the preheated airfryer and should be tossed every 4 5 minutes and take about 20 minutes total.

You need to dry them first then place them in a bowl and mix in a tablespoon or 2 of oil. mix them with your hands to ensure they are evenly coated.

They'll be just like the tefal ones when done correctly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I use Roosters, soak them for a while and then dry them completely before tossing them in sunflower oil. I do them at 180 for about the first 10 minutes, and then put the heat up to 200 for the rest of the time. I don't shake them until after the first 10 minutes in case they break up. They turn out amazing.

I think the biggest mistake you can make is to try and skimp on the oil, you need a good tablespoon of it and make sure every chip is coated.

Here's a photo of mine from the Here's What I Had For Dinner thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=98752924&postcount=8488

• Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭dodzy

mel123 wrote: »
    There is some quite old threads so I thought I would start a new one here for any chat relating to the airfryer, there is a bit of chat on bargain alerts.

If anyone has any recipes, tips, see's any accessories etc.

Some people seem to think this is the best thing since sliced bread. Im not convinced yet but i think i just haven't mastered it yet.

I've tried chips three times already and all three times they are inedible. I cant figure out what i'm doing wrong. Anyone any tips?

Get a bag of frozen oven chips from aldi. (Black and orange bag)
    Load up the basket with the frozen chips.
    9 mins on the timer - no preheat. 200'C.
    Shake 2 or 3 times during this cycle.
    Open after 10mins and add ground salt & pepper.
    Back on for a further 9 mins at 200'C.
    Shake 2 or 3 times during the cycle.
    After this cycle, you're done.

You will not regret it.

dodzy wrote: »
    Get a bag of frozen oven chips from aldi. (Black and orange bag)
    Load up the basket with the frozen chips.
    9 mins on the timer - no preheat. 200'C.
    Shake 2 or 3 times during this cycle.
    Open after 10mins and add ground salt & pepper.
    Back on for a further 9 mins at 200'C.
    Shake 2 or 3 times during the cycle.
    After this cycle, you're done.

You will not regret it.

Nothing wrong with frozen when time is an issue, but freshly made really are so much better though.

Sausages. Not frozen. Any type; cocktail, jumbo, regular.

Load up the basket.
    200'C.
    No preheat.
    18mins (10 regular sausages), shaking occasionally.
    Increase cooking time if you're going to a large batch.
    You'll know when they're done.

Nothing wrong with frozen when time is an issue, but freshly made really are so much better though.
    Try the Aldi one's I referred to. And post back :cool:

dodzy wrote: »
    Try the Aldi one's I referred to. And post back :cool:

no aldi near me unfortunately. I've tried loads of brands and some tasted really good, but still nowhere near fresh ones, and nowhere near as healthy (might as well throw that one in also :D)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Mod Note: Merged with thread in main Food & Drink forum. This thread is still active, and has some great advice and tips in it :)

Advertisement