Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,324 ✭✭✭naughto

BPKS wrote: »
    Horan says he got rid of some of the bullsh1t which surrounded Mayo, that perception of them as a bunch of fancy Dans who died their hair and wore white boots.

Is that the jist of it?
    Mort thought he was the mayo team and that they could not manage with out him,when horan dropped him his ego took over and the rest is history.i think the worst bit was when the famaily released a statement after he left/got kicked out of the team

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭boosabum

The family response was indeed very cringeworthy to say the least.
    An alledged incident has prompted the idea there was an anti-shrule bias and unfortuately this was trotted out in the heat of the moment.
    In fairness to mort, he had been doing fairly well up to that point and was unlucky not go have got game time in the lead upto the connacht final
    I think he said something along the lines of "they won't win one without me either"
    Looks like he moght have been right

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

I said on a thread here before the replay that the best way to deal with Donaghey was to stave him of ball and make him come out the field, thus negating his infulence inside.
    You starve him of ball by winning midfield.
    But as it turned out Mayo were well beaten in the middle, thus the ball going into Donaghey was the problem.
    Of course Horan should have done something during the game to resolve the problem.
    Winning midfield would not reduce the problem as much as you think it would. Look at the stats of the Second game on Don't foul blog.
    http://dontfoul.wordpress.com/2014/09/01/kerry-v-mayo-replay-2014-championship/
    It is hard to get the column headings to lineup in those stats
    Team Possessions Shots Shot Rate Scores Success Rate
    Kerry 50 40 80% 19 48%
    Mayo 42 32 76% 16 50%

Now with Mayo winning midfield (Cutting out supply):
    Kerry 42 33 80% 16 48%
    Mayo 50 38 76% 19 50%

With Kieran Donaghy already having shown his form in setting up a goal for James ODonoghue in the first game how can you place confidence in a tactic likely only to give us 3 more shots than Kerry? How is it even a tactic? Not having a go at you but at the labelling of this as an actual tactic by Horan. Trying to win midfield and closing down space/players is simply a standard way to play the game. (Exception being teams that leave opposition uncontested on opposition kickout)

Now look at the stats that were available to Mayo Mgmt from the Drawn game. It clearly shows that "Cutting out the supply" is not a tactic at all for dealing with Kieran Donaghy.
    http://dontfoul.wordpress.com/2014/08/26/kerry-v-mayo-2014-championship/
    Kerry 40 28 70% 17 61%
    Mayo 37 29 78% 17 59%

Now with Mayo winning midfield (Cutting out supply)
    Kerry 37 26 70% 16 61%
    Mayo 40 31 78% 18 59%

Small rounding errors in all of above. You can disregard rounding errors seeing as you want to have a robust tactic that will ensure victory. Predicted volume of scores is only 18 for Mayo versus 16 for Kerry.
    With Kieran Donaghy already have dominated the final 8 minutes of the drawn game?? With Kerry having a full 5 days to study Mayo and run through reps in training of passing the ball into Donaghy?? Passing a ball to a full forwards zone, especially one who is six foot five is much easier than scoring, with his extra height/strength and good hands you don't have to be that accurate with your pass. Donaghy can outfield crowding tactics to claim the ball.

Mayo of course should have been trying two tactics in parallel:
    1. Directly tackle the problem by putting Seamus OShea back on Donaghy
    2. Create an extra sweeper directly in front of Donaghy for on the ground extra tackling

As usual attempt to win midfield and close down space to the opposition half forwards/midfielders (I still think this is standard play and not a tactic)

With tactic (1) and (2) I'v utter confidence Mayo had a much better chance of victory. It is totally dispiriting to a defence to know that the opposition have a totally open target man that they can pick out. That wouldn't be the case with an extra defender covering Donaghy from in front (Maybe even Cafferkey) and 6'3" Seamus OShea covering behind.

Mayo management watched the entire replayed game and to my view didn't even implement tactic (2) which is to create double coverage on Kieran Donaghy. I never noticed any extra player standing directly in front of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭realweirdo

Agreed that Mort is too small and is not suited to the modern game of forwards tackling and winning their own ball through turnovers. Mort is a great asset when a Mayo team are dominant and winning plenty of possession and giving him opportunities to score. But up against really good opponents, when possession is scare or hard won, Mort is not much good. Bringing him back would be a backwards step, back to an era when we had players turn up in some games and not in others. Thanks but no thanks. Let's bring through some young lads instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,037 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Winning midfield would not reduce the problem as much as you think it would. Look at the stats of the Second game on Don't foul blog.
    http://dontfoul.wordpress.com/2014/09/01/kerry-v-mayo-replay-2014-championship/
    It is hard to get the column headings to lineup in those stats
    Kerry 50 40 80% 19 48%
    Mayo 42 32 76% 16 50%

Now with Mayo winning midfield (Cutting out supply):
    Kerry 42 33 80% 16 48%
    Mayo 50 38 76% 19 50%

With Kieran Donaghy already having shown his form in setting up a goal for James ODonoghue in the first game how can you place confidence in a tactic likely only to give us 3 more shots than Kerry? How is it even a tactic? Not having a go at you but at the labelling of this as an actual tactic by Horan. Trying to win midfield and closing down space/players is simply a standard way to play the game. (Exception being teams that leave opposition uncontested on opposition kickout)

Now look at the stats that were available to Mayo Mgmt from the Drawn game. It clearly shows that "Cutting out the supply" is not a tactic at all for dealing with Kieran Donaghy.
    http://dontfoul.wordpress.com/2014/08/26/kerry-v-mayo-2014-championship/
    Kerry 40 28 70% 17 61%
    Mayo 37 29 78% 17 59%

Now with Mayo winning midfield (Cutting out supply)
    Kerry 37 26 70% 16 61%
    Mayo 40 31 78% 18 59%

Small rounding errors in all of above. You can disregard rounding errors seeing as you want to have a robust tactic that will ensure victory. Predicted volume of scores is only 18 for Mayo versus 16 for Kerry.
    With Kieran Donaghy already have dominated the final 8 minutes of the drawn game?? With Kerry having a full 5 days to study Mayo and run through reps in training of passing the ball into Donaghy?? Passing a ball to a full forwards zone, especially one who is six foot five is much easier than scoring, with his extra height/strength and good hands you don't have to be that accurate with your pass. Donaghy can outfield crowding tactics to claim the ball.

Mayo of course should have been trying two tactics in parallel:
    1. Directly tackle the problem by putting Seamus OShea back on Donaghy
    2. Create an extra sweeper directly in front of Donaghy for on the ground extra tackling

As usual attempt to win midfield and close down space to the opposition half forwards/midfielders (I still think this is standard play and not a tactic)

With tactic (1) and (2) I'v utter confidence Mayo had a much better chance of victory. It is totally dispiriting to a defence to know that the opposition have a totally open target man that they can pick out. That wouldn't be the case with an extra defender covering Donaghy from in front (Maybe even Cafferkey) and 6'3" Seamus OShea covering behind.

Mayo management watched the entire replayed game and to my view didn't even implement tactic (2) which is to create double coverage on Kieran Donaghy. I never noticed any extra player standing directly in front of him.

I don't want to get into a whole reanalysis of the Kerry game and yes stats are very interesting and I'm sure they show valuable data about the game.

But I was talking in a more general sense i.e. the problem with Donaghey was as much Mayo's inability to stop the ball getting to him as it was Cafferkey's inability to deal with that ball when it arrived.
    And that's Horan's point, that Caffertkey is not the only one to blame.

I just highlighted two things in you post.

Were we not all in agreement in the week leading up to the replay that Mayo should just play their natural game and dispense with sweepers etc after what we saw in the first half of the drawn game ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭KMFCross

Noel Connelly is supposedly the frontrunner to land the Mayo job according to Midwest. He would bring Pat Holmes in with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭irishgeo

KMFCross wrote: »
    Noel Connelly is supposedly the frontrunner to land the Mayo job according to Midwest. He would bring Pat Holmes in with him.

Holmes was quoted in the mayo news he didnt have time to do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭GBXI

Horan says he got rid of some of the bullsh1t which surrounded Mayo, that perception of them as a bunch of fancy Dans who died their hair and wore white boots.

Is that the jist of it?

That's the jist of it - he got rid of the perception that Mayo were a soft touch. What that has got to do with Keith Higgins and the colour of his boots is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭KMFCross

irishgeo wrote: »
    Holmes was quoted in the mayo news he didnt have time to do the job.

Seems to have done a U-Turn to work with Connelly is what was stated

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

GBXI wrote: »
    That's the jist of it - he got rid of the perception that Mayo were a soft touch. What that has got to do with Keith Higgins and the colour of his boots is beyond me.

Not a bit. It was a response to Brolly who was on about Mortimer.
    Horan was only venting, he should have let it lie, but I think he wanted to have a go at the County Board more than moan about the Limerick venue.
    He also had a dig at them on the interview he did before the Dublin Donegal game.
    Doesn't surprise me really, the county board have always had issues with players and managers. But they have to keep a rein on funds so its not going to be a happy clappy camp either.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

KMFCross wrote: »
    Seems to have done a U-Turn to work with Connelly is what was stated

Well both are competetent guys so i can't say I wouldn't be happy with them.
    Either way I think that both McStay/McHale or Connelly/Holmes can do a job for Mayo, can they do "the" job of bringing an AI title, well why not.
    Managers of Dublin/Kerry/Donegal all started off without intercounty experience and from similar positions, so we have to have faith in them lads they appoint.
    There are very fine lines these days, all we need is the bounce of a ball or a tight tactical move to go right and then who knows.

yop wrote: »
    Not a bit. It was a response to Brolly who was on about Mortimer.
    Horan was only venting, he should have let it lie, but I think he wanted to have a go at the County Board more than moan about the Limerick venue.
    He also had a dig at them on the interview he did before the Dublin Donegal game.
    Doesn't surprise me really, the county board have always had issues with players and managers. But they have to keep a rein on funds so its not going to be a happy clappy camp either.

I think you miss-read my point. Someone saw that Horan commented on Mayo being seen as a team of players with white boots and bleached hair and thus being a soft touch and that that image is now gone. They then (laughably) said that 'sure wasn't Keith Higgins wearing white boots the last day'. Maybe it was a really clever attempt at humour but I highly doubt it!

I think you miss-read my point. Someone saw that Horan commented on Mayo being seen as a team of players with white boots and bleached hair and thus being a soft touch and that that image is now gone. They then (laughably) said that 'sure wasn't Keith Higgins wearing white boots the last day'. Maybe it was a really clever attempt at humour but I highly doubt it!

If they think that Higgins is a pretty boy and soft touch because he wears white boots then they need to get out from under the hair dryer :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

I don't want to get into a whole reanalysis of the Kerry game and yes stats are very interesting and I'm sure they show valuable data about the game.

But I was talking in a more general sense i.e. the problem with Donaghey was as much Mayo's inability to stop the ball getting to him as it was Cafferkey's inability to deal with that ball when it arrived.
    And that's Horan's point, that Caffertkey is not the only one to blame.

I just highlighted two things in you post.

Were we not all in agreement in the week leading up to the replay that Mayo should just play their natural game and dispense with sweepers etc after what we saw in the first half of the drawn game ?
    Mayo got an awful roasting in midfield against Kerry.

Nobody saw such an overwhelming beating at midfield and we were not able to do much about it during the game either. Anyway its gone so lets get ready for next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

My point was that it was Horan who patted himself on the back for getting rid of the perception of Mayo as fancy Dans (trust me in Kerry we realised that after the 2011 semi final, when some of the late "tackles" bordered on assault).

He aligned this with the white boots and dyed hair analogy in a snipe at Mortimor - I was merely pointing out that a number of Mayo players continue to wear white boots. Personally I would still see that as a sign of fancy dan-ness but obviously Horan doesn't is he has no issue with his players wearing white boots.

At least he got rid of the lads with Hawaiian shirts doing the warm up I suppose.

My point was that it was Horan who patted himself on the back for getting rid of the perception of Mayo as fancy Dans (trust me in Kerry we realised that after the 2011 semi final, when some of the late "tackles" bordered on assault).

He aligned this with the white boots and dyed hair analogy in a snipe at Mortimor - I was merely pointing out that a number of Mayo players continue to wear white boots. Personally I would still see that as a sign of fancy dan-ness but obviously Horan doesn't is he has no issue with his players wearing white boots.

At least he got rid of the lads with Hawaiian shirts doing the warm up I suppose.

So the Kerry players dont wear white boots then?

As for fancy dans..... sweet God your lad invented it in the GAA!!!

paul

20130714-124032.jpg

And the clincher...
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQQI5PC8mkinuvmmSCijO8U_UAGpTrqFoTMKQQbNfF-g6_-0CBx

Never saw him wear white boots on the field yop!

Or a Hawaiian shirt during the warm up!

Never saw him wear white boots on the field yop!

Or a Hawaiian shirt during the warm up!

Have a look at the Kerry team, see plenty of white boots.

Hawaiian shirt in the warm up.. what Mayo player wore that?

I think even an Hawaiian shirt is a million miles behind a man bad and a mac!

So plenty of "dans" then in the Kerry team. ;)

You're talking some sh1te kiddo!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,324 ✭✭✭naughto

the bit in bold when did a gaa match become non contact
    will ya just go and get beat on sunday like a good lad

• Advertisement

I hate fancy dans who wear white boots me, but Kerry lads dont... oh wait ;)

anthony-maher-with-seamus-oshea-390x285.jpg

Horan_At_Parade_Two_Teams2014.jpg

Even fancy blue boots!!! Whats the world coming to. All they need now is a man bag ;)

james-oodonoghue-and-michael-shields-6-600x500.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Galvin is a show in fairness, but Gerry McInerney, the Galway hurler is definitely the man who started the white boots craze back in 1987 or even before!

gerry-mcinerney-1989-3-630x454.jpg

Galvin is a show in fairness, but Gerry McInerney, the Galway hurler is definitely the man who started the white boots craze back in 1987 or even before!

gerry-mcinerney-1989-3-630x454.jpg

Ah ya he was full on that lad, he was a fine hurler. Has his own sports shop now selling shoes! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Who gives a **** what colour boots someone wants to wear? Christ on a bike.

keane2097 wrote: »
    Who gives a **** what colour boots someone wants to wear? Christ on a bike.

And do you know what Christ wore on the bike... :D;)

wirecarb-wht_2.png

You're talking some sh1te kiddo!

Thanks and enjoy the winter.

Cos next year is ye're year;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭realweirdo

yop wrote: »
    Well both are competetent guys so i can't say I wouldn't be happy with them.
    Either way I think that both McStay/McHale or Connelly/Holmes can do a job for Mayo, can they do "the" job of bringing an AI title, well why not.
    Managers of Dublin/Kerry/Donegal all started off without intercounty experience and from similar positions, so we have to have faith in them lads they appoint.
    There are very fine lines these days, all we need is the bounce of a ball or a tight tactical move to go right and then who knows.

We had Holmes as Mayo manager and he didn't exactly pull up any trees. In fairness he faced a great Galway team at the time. I give him credit for winning the League but its just the league.

Anyone for a dream team of McStay managing and Connelly as assistant? Surely this is the answer to everything given the uncertainty around McHale and Holmes.

realweirdo wrote: »
    We had Holmes as Mayo manager and he didn't exactly pull up any trees. In fairness he faced a great Galway team at the time. I give him credit for winning the League but its just the league.

Anyone for a dream team of McStay managing and Connelly as assistant? Surely this is the answer to everything given the uncertainty around McHale and Holmes.

Think it would be perfect, but cant see it happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

List of Mayo's 2015 National League Fixtures(Provisional)

10367785_538522286279923_7755591574637853522_n.jpg?oh=7c05f38c4d56ad245061242463b9adf1&oe=54C91870&__gda__=1422195912_df763f76f71d1cb3cea7977690ae6f93

Early chance to get some small measure of revenge!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,137 ✭✭✭✭km79

seligehgit wrote: »
    List of Mayo's 2015 National League Fixtures(Provisional)

10367785_538522286279923_7755591574637853522_n.jpg?oh=7c05f38c4d56ad245061242463b9adf1&oe=54C91870&__gda__=1422195912_df763f76f71d1cb3cea7977690ae6f93

Early chance to get some small measure of revenge!
    that's 3 long away trips.......where is the Dublin match that its on at 7...../surely not croke park

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement