Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

****Change to Charter-Please Read****

Options
  • 05-06-2014 10:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭

Hello,

As most of you are aware, over the past couple of years Political threads have become more and more common in AH. We probably have 5 or 6 active threads in any given day. This isn't and was never the intended purpose of AH and the most obvious place for such discussion is the vibrant Politics forum and it's many sub forums.

If you are just a casual political observer, don't worry. The Politics Cafe is a great place for the lighter side of politics.

With immediate effect, we will be moving existing threads over to the best suited sub forum. The Politics Mods and ourselves are going to work very closely to make sure the transition is seamless.

Please do not post any more political threads in After Hours.

If you are unsure of where a thread you would like to start should be, please PM an AH or Politics mod.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Reformed Character

I'm unsure if other suggestions for changes would be welcome but if I might, may I suggest that religion specific threads are diverted to the Religion forum , it would make AH a much better place where banter and humour could be best expressed.
    Mods, please feel free to delete if this post is not appropriate to the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,430 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I'm unsure if other suggestions for changes would be welcome but if I might, may I suggest that religion specific threads are diverted to the Religion forum , it would make AH a much better place where banter and humour could be best expressed.
    Mods, please feel free to delete if this post is not appropriate to the thread.
    Suggestions for the forum are always welcome. We all think this move could be a great success and will benefit both forums.
    For the moment, we'll just focus on the politics end of things and see how that goes for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

The one thread that was transferred to the Politics Cafe died a death.
    Don't see people using it if nobody is home.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Hopefully traffic will increase there once people can't post everything in AH?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

I'm not one to pick up political threads but what exactly "is" allowed here?

I mean one of the arguments for a thread about something happening in Dublin was "is it just something about Dublin" or is it "something about Dublin that the country would care about".

It was in regards to the changes in Grafton Street I think it was; I think they were modifying some of the area.

So if that's allowed but something that's about Dublin only, like some shop in Grafton Street having an employee attacked, say. Does the same apply to political threads?

If so, can we have an example or two of something that's allowed?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Personally I think these "So this is how things are now, we've made a decision" threads, should be proceeded with a "so this is what we're thinking we'd like to do with you're forum, what do you think about things?" thread.

strobe wrote: »
    Personally I think these "So this is how things are now, we've decided" threads should be proceeded with a "so this is what we're thinking we'd like to do with you're forum, what do you think about things?" thread.[/

Like planning permission?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

What did the politics mods do to deserve this?

kneemos wrote: »
    Personally I think these "So this is how things are now, we've decided" threads should be proceeded with a "so this is what we're thinking we'd like to do with you're forum, what do you think about things?" thread.[/

Like planning permission?

Exactly like planning permission. Exactly. Only with even more bribes.

Ah you know what I mean. Seems these kinds of threads pop up occasionally where the mods, I presume, have gone away and discussed how the forum should be in their opinion, then implement it. And that's that. Would be nice for the other 99.9% of people to have their say.

And I say this as someone that agrees with most of the above unilateral decisions that have been made, cause I agree with them, but maybe lots don't, I don't know tbh, and no one else does ever, as there's no option to disagree with them. This is how things are now, so there, we've decided we want the forum this way. Seems to be the general attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I'm not one to pick up political threads but what exactly "is" allowed here?

I mean one of the arguments for a thread about something happening in Dublin was "is it just something about Dublin" or is it "something about Dublin that the country would care about".

It was in regards to the changes in Grafton Street I think it was; I think they were modifying some of the area.

So if that's allowed but something that's about Dublin only, like some shop in Grafton Street having an employee attacked, say. Does the same apply to political threads?

If so, can we have an example or two of something that's allowed?

90% of the threads are clearly about politics, so are clear cut. Of course there are the grey areas. We will have to take those on a case by case basis. As I said earlier if anyone one is unsure, ask and we will figure something out.
    Personally I think these "So this is how things are now, we've made a decision" threads, should be proceeded with a "so this is what we're thinking we'd like to do with you're forum, what do you think about things?" thread.

This isnt something we decided over a short time. We looked at the forum over the last few years and felt it was something that was turning AH into something it was never meant to be. We left this thread open so people could question the change. It's new terrority for us all.

Why do you disagree with the change?

• Advertisement

This isnt something we decided over a short time. We looked at the forum over the last few years and felt it was something that was turning AH into something it was never meant to be. We left this thread open so people could question the change. It's new terrority for us all.

Why do you disagree with the change?

I don't disagree with the change particularly Micky. It's the nature of how the changes are brought in I've an issue with. You say this thread is left open for disagreement to be voiced. But I'm sure you see the difference in making a change and then saying (or not, as the case may be, as it was in this case and all previous cases) "Anyone got a problem with that?" and saying "So this is what we've been considering, what do you guys think before we make our decision?"

Ultimately I personally don't care very much at all, I'm just bored and can't sleep, and will care even less tomorrow or the next day when I log back on, but I think some people care just a little, and I still think it's a valid point. Do you not agree with my idea?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

I'm glad, the first page is just crap threads with the same arguements. Sinn Fein that and bond holders this and enda is a gowl because I said so.

I stopped coming for a creep in here over the last 9 or so months because of it.

If I want politics I'll go to that forum.

Actually let's just have every thread about boobies and how funny it is when they jiggle?

I kinda get your point but What happens then? We stick up a poll and put it to a vote? Sometime change is necessary. I believe that the large majority support this as its come up time and time in our regular feedback threads.

You have to believe we do things in the best interest of the forum and not just for the craic. This isn't just a couple of people making a decision. It's a lot of people discussing it at length with the information we have to hand.

I kinda get your point but What happens then? We stick up a poll and put it to a vote? Sometime change is necessary. I believe that the large majority support this as its come up time and time in our regular feedback threads.

You have to believe we do things in the best interest of the forum and not just for the craic. This isn't just a couple of people making a decision. It's a lot of people discussing it at length with the information we have to hand.

I don't think changes are made just for a laugh or anything. I just think the majority should at the very least have their opinion heard before a decision is reached. I'm not suggesting a poll and majority rule per say, just let people have their say openly and ahead of time and allow the opinions expressed a chance to be considered.

That's my suggestion anyway, decide amongst yourselves if it has any merit. ;)

Micky, things like "world news", are they still okay? The Ukraine thread, for example. That'd be fine, right? I assume so since it's still here.

And same would be okay for the Jobridge thread.

I mean both are politics but they seem more like "hey 90% of people would be interested maybe on AH" instead of it being just for people with an interest in poloticts.

I'm not asking for either to be removed or anything, BTW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

What's the craic with sports threads? Some are left and others are promptly shut down with the "AH is not for sports".

The election threads can be quite interesting.Maybe an exception can be made at election time?
    Generally the political threads are no great loss in fairness.A lot of it was people accusing each other of being a Shinbot or a FF supporter,tiresome and tedious.

Micky, things like "world news", are they still okay? The Ukraine thread, for example. That'd be fine, right? I assume so since it's still here.

And same would be okay for the Jobridge thread.

I mean both are politics but they seem more like "hey 90% of people would be interested maybe on AH" instead of it being just for people with an interest in poloticts.

I'm not asking for either to be removed or anything, BTW.

Both of them will stay in AH I would suspect. There will be a lot of threads more grey than them.
    keith16 wrote: »
    What's the craic with sports threads? Some are left and others are promptly shut down with the "AH is not for sports".

This was neve meant to be a general feedback thread but maybe we are due one over the summer at some point.

But to answer it, sports threads are generally a big no no. We do official ones for world cups and the like.

Both of them will stay in AH I would suspect. There will be a lot of threads more grey than them.

Alright, grand so, cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

I was a lurker before I registered here and the forum I loved coming to more often than not was AH. Some threads here had me in stitches which was great and the threads were zany and hilarious thanks to AH being the most lighthearted forum here. With endless political threads now AH has lost its joie de vivre. I support the decision to move some but not all political threads to other more suitable forums.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Nobody visits The Cuckoos Nest :(

We can be zany and hilarious too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Chucken wrote: »
    Nobody visits The Cuckoos Nest :(

We can be zany and hilarious too.

I'll pop over now Chucken :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Sorry Micky, don't want to derail the thread :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

I hope this isn't the start of a slippery slope where everything gets redirected to other fora to a point that AH that members abandon it completely.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I hope this isn't the start of a slippery slope where everything gets redirected to other fora to a point that AH that members abandon it completely.

I've always perceived AH to be primarily informal. Not that there's an issue or a lack of want for topical threads here. But that AH shouldn't become another place that something of a particular topic is found in abundance.

I've selected back randomly to a few hundred pages to the deep dark past of AH a couple of times and on each one of'em there were a lot of political threads. Sure it's an issue to the fore front of society, but there's a politics section here on boards for those who want to be involved in discussing it or reading more of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

I'm glad, the first page is just crap threads with the same arguements. Sinn Fein that and bond holders this and enda is a gowl because I said so.

I stopped coming for a creep in here over the last 9 or so months because of it.

If I want politics I'll go to that forum.

Actually let's just have every thread about boobies and how funny it is when they jiggle?

You could say that about every topic that's rehashed. Religion, obese people, those pesky dolers etc etc....

I don't think the problem is with an oversaturation of topics on issues such as politics. There just seems to be a deeper staleness in the forum. That's not the fault of users, it just goes with the territory of having a long running forum that has a wide appeal across a number of subjects.

I'm not sure how you combat that tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

Great idea imo. I have very little interest in politics, and on many occasions have opened AH to see thread after thread on politics, and promptly fecked off again.

If I was into politics, I'd sub to the politics forum :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

Well i for one am disappointed with this move after hours has always been the general discussion forum for boards. And things that effect our day to day lives often gets brought up here and can be talked about in a some what lighthearted manner where the general people discuss such things as water charges etc, not on the political forum which is a different breed of forum user for the most part and usually occupied by members of specific political parties.

I think this is a bad move for after hours ! And if you dont like the topic folks you dont have to click on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭southcentralts

Would it be possible to have one AH political catch-all thread, to mock and ridicule ( in true AH fashion ) the foibles and follies of our elected degenerates. I do not much care for political debate here, but I do source most of my political news and views from here (not the political forum but AH) at present.

I doubt that threads in the political forum would be welcoming to the AH mindset most of us (you too Micky) seem to have been blessed with since birth. And when issues arise of a political nature, we do want to comment in a place where our filtered view on it will be appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Lone Stone wrote: »
    Well i for one am disappointed with this move after hours has always been the general discussion forum for boards. And things that effect our day to day lives often gets brought up here and can be talked about in a some what lighthearted manner where the general people discuss such things as water charges etc, not on the political forum which is a different breed of forum user for the most part and usually occupied by members of specific political parties.

I think this is a bad move for after hours ! And if you dont like the topic folks you dont have to click on it.

I believe this is what their Café is meant to be.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement