Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting asked to buy her a drink... Am I missing something?

Options
  • 06-11-2013 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭

So, this has happened to me a few times and I'm starting to think I look like an easy mark to scam or whatever. Either that, or I'm missing something.

In nightclub at bar buying a round of drinks. Suddenly approached by nice girl, all smiles, eye lashes... etc.

Then SHE asks if I'm going to buy her a drink.

Then I say "Ha Ha....no" and normally turn back to my friends or maybe just stand there and let awkwardness hang in the sweaty, stale air.

Am I right in assuming this is some kind of ploy to get free drinks?

I've known none of these girls btw. Just a cold approach and a request for a drink.... :confused: :pac:

Not something I've over analysed before - but its happened a lot recently and I'm starting to think I'm missing some new kind of exploitative flirting trend. :pac: :eek:

:o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,684 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Dean0088 wrote: »
    So, this has happened to me a few times and I'm starting to think I look like an easy mark to scam or whatever. Either that, or I'm missing something.

In nightclub at bar buying a round of drinks. Suddenly approached by nice girl, all smiles, eye lashes... etc.

Then I say "Ha Ha....no" and normally turn back to my friends or maybe just stand there and let awkwardness hang in the sweaty, stale air.

I've known none of these girls btw. Just a cold approach and a request for a drink.... :confused: :pac:

Not something I've over analysed before - but its happened a lot recently and I'm starting to think I'm missing some new kind of exploitative flirting trend. :pac: :eek:

At the risk of sounding like a pessimist, bingo to the bit I've bolded.
    Fair focks for seeing though it.
    Next time one of them says that respond with "Only if you buy me one first!" See what the reaction is, if she does, happy days, if she storms off in a huff..I'm afraid it wasn't meant to be (wonk wonk wonk!)

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭froggy1985

I was away myself last week on a stag in Kilkenny, outside a bar having a smoke and overheard some poor eejit who bought a girl a drink and watched her hand it to her bloke a few yards away :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

froggy1985 wrote: »
    I was away myself last week on a stag in Kilkenny, outside a bar having a smoke and overheard some poor eejit who bought a girl a drink and watched her hand it to her bloke a few yards away :D
    Ouch! Bruised pride anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

froggy1985 wrote: »

Ouch.

I understand the term is blagging.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

Panthro wrote: »
    At the risk of sounding like a pessimist, bingo to the bit I've bolded.
    Fair focks for seeing though it.
    Next time one of them says that respond with "Only if you buy me one first!" See what the reaction is, if she does, happy days, if she storms off in a huff..I'm afraid it wasn't meant to be (wonk wonk wonk!)

I'm normally so taken aback by it I don't have a chance to come up with a quck retort :o I'll remember that one though.

I kind of see their strategy - and judging by the amount of times I've been asked , it must work to some extent.

My mind boggles at it though. I can't put myself in a mindset where I'd just ramble up to a total stranger and outright ask for them to buy me a drink.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

I think it would be better to say something along the lines of 'Sure, we can buy each other one'. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

One good thing about it is you instantly know that's not the kind of girl you'd be interested in chatting to :p

Jesus :eek:

That's mental. I wouldn't have the cheek nor the balls!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,684 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Sauve wrote: »
    One good thing about it is you instantly know that's not the kind of girl you'd be interested in chatting to :p

Haha! Something along the lines of:

Girl: "Hi!"...
    Guy: "Hello!"....(instantly thinking "hello... to the future Missus Howard Walowitz...")
    Girl: "Wana buy me a drink?!"
    Guy: (....or not....) nope, sorry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭LOTD

All she said was are you going to buy me a drink, that's all! I'd expect at least some chat up line or compliment (polite lie), sheer laziness IMO :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I know guys that go to gay bars to get guys to buy them drinks. Thats using someone

LOTD wrote: »
    All she said was are you going to buy me a drink, that's all! I'd expect at least some chat up line or compliment (polite lie), sheer laziness IMO :D

But a chat up line is "Can I buy you a drink?", not "Are you going to buy me a drink?" The girl had it backwards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭LOTD

Sauve wrote: »
    But a chat up line is "Can I buy you a drink?", not "Are you going to buy me a drink?" The girl had it backwards!

True. Tbh totally taken a back that somebody can go up to somebody and bluntly ask them to buy them a drink. I think it's low and rude to expect somebody just to outright pay for you.

LOTD wrote: »
    True. Tbh totally taken a back that somebody can go up to somebody and bluntly ask them to buy them a drink. I think it's low.

Uh huh.
    OP you should answer next time with a "oh have you lost your purse, what happened? Can I help you look for it?" :D

Dean0088 wrote: »

i just cant believe you've never heard this before!!
    im in my late 30's and a friend of mine has been at this since we were 15!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i can never get upset about this, if I was an attractive young woman I'd get all the free drinks I could from gullible morons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

i can never get upset about this, if I was an attractive young woman I'd get all the free drinks I could from gullible morons.

To be fair why else would god have invented low cut tops.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,273 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Have to agree to a certain extent, it's very silly to buy a complete stranger a drink just cos they ask for one.

But at the same time it's meaness for women to expect men to buy booze for them and to use their looks to try and get lads to do this and give him the impression that she is interested in him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

smcgiff wrote: »
    To be fair why else would god have invented low cut tops.

grapes

's all I'm saying

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

bubblypop wrote: »
    i just cant believe you've never heard this before!!
    im in my late 30's and a friend of mine has been at this since we were 15!!!

I've heard of it before (and have had it happen to me a few times over the past few years) but its normally been accompanied by some kind of chatting... a bit of effort put in.

But recently I've had a few outright, blunt requests. As in the first thing they say is
    "Hey! Wanna buy me a drink!"
    and I'm like "Tha fuk? Do I know you".
    "No! G'wan! Buy me a drink!"
    "Ehhh..." *spidey senses tingling* "Nooo"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

"I'd rather just give you cash. What do you normally charge for an hour?".

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

And the thing is, if you walked up to her and asked for a hand shandy, you'd be the villain!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

Banjo wrote: »
    And the thing is, if you walked up to her and asked for a hand shandy, you'd be the villain!

It's political correctness gone mad, Joe! :p

This happened my brother one time. A girl comes over to him with her drink nearly finished, small talks to him for about 30 seconds (that Madonna song is great, isn't it?), finishes the drink and asks him if he'd like to buy her a drink. He was taken aback, but managed to mumble out a refusal and yer wan wanders off.

When he told me about it later, he was kicking himself, as he'd missed the chance to put her in her place as follows:

Him: Would you like a drink.
    Her: Ooh, I'd love a *name of drink*
    Him: Bar's over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

"I'd rather just give you cash. What do you normally charge for an hour?".

Oh to be a fly on the wall when that line gets used in response :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Lemming wrote: »
    Oh to be a fly on the wall when that line gets used in response :pac:

Yep, you have to watch yourself around those harlots.
    Anyone who's spent time on the pub/club scene will know they are responsible for causing a large percentage of the fights that breakout. Misleading guys into thinking they are in with a chance and sparking rivalry between different guys who've been buying them drinks all night.

You can also try "is that your sister/friend over there? I'll buy her a drink, she's prettier than you".

To these girls its just a numbers game where they know some guys will cave in and buy a drink. They don't care if they get 50 negative replies as long as they get 5-10 positive.
    May as well give a retort that hits a nerve.

It's fairly scummy behaviour though.

I was out with a few people one time, there was this one guy in the group who was a bit of a tool (not quite harmless, but not far off). Some girls obviously spotted this and spent most of the night milking him for drink. I didn't know the guy well enough to say anything, but one of his friends eventually got sick of seeing the girls ripping him off and told them to leave him alone.

So basically not only was the poor sap getting his wallet emptied, but he also got his hopes up for nothing.:mad:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

That is so unreal

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Snako

just go sure girl you look thirsty, and order them a big old pint of water. (warning this approach could result in being covered in water!)

I got stung really bad recently, girl I knew very distantly was like do you fancy a drink, and obviously I accepted, so she brought me over to the bar, ordered two drinks, and then told the bar man I was paying.

I coughed up cause I thought the cheek of it was funny, and we did have a cheeky snog and a dance after so I was happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭knotknowbody

I overheard this happen a guy years ago, he was in the group standing beside mine, didn't know him at all just happened to be standing near him in the pub, this girl comes up to him and asks for a drink, she was a bit over weight not huge but a little bit over weight, his retort was to point at her stomach and ask her should she be drinking in her condition.

Advertisement