Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pistol Shooting - Tips & Techniques

Options
  • 08-09-2013 6:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭

I bought a Smith & Wesson 22a on Saturday. I'll be putting in the application during the week. In the mean time I'm looking up about pistol shooting and trying to find some tips and tricks so I have somewhere to start with.

I said I should ask here also to hear from people that have recently started out and the experienced shooters.

What tips would you give to a newbie? Stance, hold, trigger, breathing, etc.

Let me hear about anything and everything that is involved in being an accurate pistol shooter.
    I have found this target online which should be helpful in learning where I am going wrong:

_7698875_orig.jpg

If there are any other training aids let me know.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=70749232

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=72288228

Worth reading and watching. But the single core technique is still going to be watch the sights ;)

(BTW that target above is pretty useless when you're just starting off, it's really only useful when you're grouping consistently -- at that point it's very useful, but before then, it just gives you false positives!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭dev110

Thanks for those. I'll give them a read when I come back from walking the pup.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭clivej

The only thing I can add is put rounds downrange.
    That target is useless cos you cant put them all in the X

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

Front sight -press - repeat. If you are able with your pistol, dry fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭cw67irl

Get some 22 snap caps and dry fire all you want, Best practice you can get outside a range!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭dc99

Hi,
    I'm by no means an experienced shooter....but I have had some fantastic help and advice in my starting out. I will l try to be brief (for which I am not known...:-) ).

Trigger control

Breathing control.

Sight picture

There you have it.

Three elements. 1 2 3 . done. start grouping.

Well.... not as easy as you think.

I can't give you everything in this post as it would take too long.

Trigger control. on a single action pistol (semi auto) you will have cocked the hammer with a slide draw. however you will have still got 'slack' on the trigger (unless your in the US and can get a trigger job done!!!) The advice I was given was slow pull in the trigger (forefinger pad and 'look' for a surprise break.). DO NOT RELEASE THE TRIGGER AFTER THE FIRST SHOT!. slowly, slowly let the trigger out till you feel and maybe hear the trigger reset. hold there and wait for sight picture (next). Then all you need is the absolute least amount of 'pull' to release the hammer to shoot your second (and third, and forth and fifth shot - if you do it every time after the first shoot).

Sight picture - three dots (the common configuration of a pistol sights - 1 front between two rear.)
    Line them up horizontally and evenly. (get some one that can shoot to zero the sights first if you can In fact this is a must because you will not shoot straight for ages :-) ). focus on the front sight not the rear not the target. the front sight is your focus point. Trust me it works. this is where the skill comes in the further away the target (fe*kin 25m!!!) the harder this is (for me anyway) blurred target focused front sight, slightly blurred rear sight. do it for a while and see.

Breathing. any chest movement is going to affect your arms extended out in front of you. I personally take one or two reasonable deep breaths - do not hyperventilate- its over kill. just two calming deepish breaths. then raise the pistol with a very firm grip (and I find a very very hard grip feels better), high on the pistol grip (but depending on the pistol watch out for slide bite....) then at the bottom of the third breath out, hold at maybe 90% exhale???? (90% lungs empty) find it yourself -it may be 80%....I find that my sight picture is very steady at this time. I can always get off 5 shots without stress (wanting to breath) and have found the results satisfying....
    Also work on not flinching or blinking during the time you are sending down range. (very Zen...)

I hope this helps, there are a few more tips on the mechanics that I have, but have written enough for the moment.

I have found that it is very difficult to produce consistent results (but then if it was easy....it would be no fun), but it is nearly always as a result of me 'forgetting' to do one or more of the above.

I have never left the range feeling bad though it is the best stress reliever I have ever found. Work at it and the best tip is listen to advice (even if it is not asked for) try it for a while and see if it works, if not the move on and try something else.

Above all HAVE FUN!

If anyone has contradictory info or advice I'd be more than willing to hear it and try it out. cause I'm still relatively new to it and just wanna get better.

Bang Bang!! hope it helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

i havent been in the shooting forum in a while but how are ye getting pistols lads last time i checked they were taking them off people.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Fullbore pistols are out, but .22lr with 5 or less shots can still be applied for.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Cass wrote: »
    Fullbore pistols are out, but .22lr with 5 or less shots can still be applied for.

Are they hard to attain i cant imagine they are too keen on giving them out?

You would have to be part of a target shooting club i presume?

The only reason for having a pistol is for sports target shooting on an authorised range so yes, membership to an appropriate range is a must.

As for ease. It's down to individual Supers and districts. Legally once you show good reason, and have the necessary security, etc then there is no reason you cannot have one.

The "ban" on fullbore pistols does not actually state the pistols themselves. I'm saying this kind arse ways, but bear with me. What they have stopped is the licenses for such guns so if you cannot get a license you cannot get the gun. Hence all pistols available to be licensed are under the unrestricted category, but must not have more than 5 shots, and cannot be anything other than a .22lr (used to be rimfire but they amended it to lr to prevent people getting wmrs, etc)
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Advertisement

i must look into this im living in mayo where would be my closest pistol range? i have the shotgun for nearly 3 yeaars now aand was thinking of getting a rifle soon but i dont really have the need for one as it is mostly clays i shoot and would have more interest in pistol shooting

I wouldn't be too sure, but i think Lough Bo in Sligo. There are other ranges/clubs in Limerick, etc but it's a matter of which suits you best.

Advertisement