Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Triathlon Evolution Continues....

Options
  • 08-04-2013 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭

This is my 4th log on here :) The previous 3 logs are:

Keen to see what the future may hold
    Swim, bike, run...if only it were that simple!
    Alanya, Turkey 2013 - My Euro Dream Odyssey

It is actually nice to go back and look through some of the posts, god i was green! I really hadn't a clue :rolleyes: and I am still learning, indeed the more I learn the more questions that seem to arise!

Where I am Now

I have not trained since last Sunday, I got flu and although I feel much better today my energy still feels low so I won't return to training until tomorrow. So that's 8 days of zero training but health is returning which is more important.

Up to that things were steadily improving. I was averaging 10.6hrs training per week. At the beginning of the year I had some rough targets around the volume I weekly volume I would be doing. These were what most (competitors I know) would call very, very soft targets but I was coming from MY personal past experiences and these figures just represented what I thought would mean a injury free/illness free year. Well I have had two sick weeks out of 14 thus far this year :( I am determined to make this the last time I get sick this year. Steps are being and have been taken.

1) Diet - no longer a part time thing. Binge/junk food triggered by nights out and stress/feeling down.

2) Sleep - I must get 7 hours per night. A move back to my normal sleeping time of 9:30 except Monday nights for a while (swim training)

3) Work - taking on too much in school. Extra curricular activities, task groups on top of preparing exam classes and time taken off us to do this prep. Also I need to cut back on after school tutition.

4) Relationships - Although I have no children I have a number of people relying on my support, not financially but in other ways. I have to have time for these people who are very close to me.

5) Finance - I'm not loaded unfortunatley and I have lived beyond my means in the past. Led to stress. In a better place now thankfully but have to be careful and not reckless.

Okay back to those numbers:

Discipline - Targeted Weekly Ave - Actual weekly Ave

Swim - 7km - 5.9km
    Bike - 100km - 105km
    Run - 35km - 30km

I am not, repeat, NOT obsessed or a slave to the above numbers. They are just what I think would represent an injury/illness free year. So far it would indicate that I have been sick or injured. Anyway hopefully over the next few illness and injury free months I will see a steady increase in those numbers.

Funnily enough despite the illnesses I am not that far away from where I was this time last year. Actually I recently equalled my 400TT in the pool. I feel strong on the bike and I have some very promising runs too. So, I really believe that if I can put a solid 8-10 weeks of training behind me I will be back knocking on the top 10 of NS races and perhaps even a podium or two in smaller races.

Objectives

My objectives are simple. That by the end of the year I can say that I have improved in all 3 disciplines. I have some numbers in my head, anyone who is honest will admit to that, so I may as well put it out there.

Swim - a sub 6 400TT
    Bike - An FTP of 300W (an increase of 4.5%) or a WATT/KG of 4 (currently 3.7)
    Run - A 17:30 5k

Races

April 14th - Sportsman Duathlon
    May 12th - Quiet Man Sprint
    May 25th - Rosses Point Oly (NS)
    June 22nd - Mullaughmore Sprint (NS + Peak Race)
    June 29th - Kilkee Oly (NS + Peak Race)

July 6th - Athlone (Part of a reply) i.e. FUN :)

There will also be some other smaller mid week training event also. These are fun and a great way to get race sharp.

I have yet to really look beyond June, I will be looking for another peak in Sept probably.

Okay, there it is. Enough typing. Time to sit back and watch the match and relax. Tomorrow I'm back in the game I hope.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭ray o

It's great to see you continue the logging El D. I for one enjoy the honesty of the content. It's a kind of therapy to see how you and others try to balance life while trying to get better at this all to time consuming but very enjoyable sport. Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Good to see you back. Probably the lightest opening of any of your logs :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Great to see you back logging El D and good to see you put some targets down too. It does take a bit of bottle to write them down for all and sundry to analyse and then see if you succeed or fail.

I'm doing your two peak races too so will no doubt see you at least twice this year and hopefully at some of the club TT's - you've a club record to reclaim!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

Good to see you back but Im concerned you're not taking this seriously enough. :p

Enjoy !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

@Ray O Thanks dude, I had thought of no logging at all but I have to say writting things down here actually really helps, the fact that people actually read and reply to my crap is a great bonus! Sure isn't it how I meet so many fine people like yourself Ray! :)

@shotgunmcos thanks man. I hope you are recovering well and on the road to recovery dude. By any chance are you tempted out of your temporary tri retirement for Kilkee this year?

@couerdelion thanks dude. Putting my targets out there on a public forum has never bothered me, I wouldn't think twice about it. My objectives are not pie in the sky stuff, they are attainable with some consistent training and effort and I guess that is why I don't mind throwing it out there. Regarding the races it seems there will be a large boards contingent at these races (Kilkee & Mullaghmore) and also Rosses Point...it will be great fun :) Now the club 20k TT is certainly something I would like back :) What is the current record by the way? Any idea when are this year's TT scheduled for? As far as I know there are road works on last years route, perhaps they are finished by now.

Back To Logging Some Actual Training

Tues 9th April

Bike
    1hr Easy

Back at it today. Feeling much better and energy levels returning for sure. Unfortunately I only had time for 30min. Poor planning on my behalf....these over sights seem to happen when I am out of training mode so as i get back into it it certainly will not happen again. Those 3 weeks before I got sick for instance were great, diet clean, sleeping well and sessions not missed. So I will return to that ASAP.

Time 30min; Dist 13.25km; Speed 27kph; Power Ave/NP 186/188; Cad 93; HR 120;

Maintenance/Physical Therapy

Well considering I have done nothing in over a week I considered cancelling this but decided to go along as I haven't seen Ciáran McDonagh this year yet. Delighted I went :) As well as the obvious benefit from a good thorough rub down I always come away from Ciáran positively recharged. He is a positive guy with positive energy. He reckons my body is feeling much better than last year, in good shape and not as many tight, knotted spots at all compared to last year. He made a very interesting comment regarding diet. He reckons he knows just by rubbing one's muscles what their diet is like. He said mine seems quite good, which it is apart from the odd weekend binge. The guy before me, a talented footballer but a terrible diet to which he admitted freely to. Interesting. As always painful but so worth it and great value, good enough for (amoung others) the Jamacian Sprint team, good enough for me :)

Time 30min.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Nah I'll just be back from honeymoon. I'll be down to watch or help out. Maybe you can go one better this year! I have only entered one triathlon so far :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Best of luck with the new log ElD. Hope you can finally put recent illness problems behind you and looking forward to the big boards showdown in Rosses Point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Now the club 20k TT is certainly something I would like back :) What is the current record by the way? Any idea when are this year's TT scheduled for? As far as I know there are road works on last years route, perhaps they are finished by now.

Your record of 28:40 was beaten by BL who got a 27:39. Plenty for you to aim at!

We decided at tonight's meeting that they'll be every 2nd Wednesday in the month. So - 8/5, 12/6. 10/7, 14/8, 11/9. Should be good (and any non-members reading this who fancy a go are welcome :) )

Roadworks not quite finished but when they are it will add a little to the course so new records to be set!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

I like it El D but yer man looks a bit shifty behind you, but whats with the shorts, are they the Activ casual? That poor girl is well packed in to hold up Couerdelion

Active.jpg

catweazle wrote: »
    I like it El D but yer man looks a bit shifty behind you, but whats with the shorts, are they the Activ casual? That poor girl is well packed in to hold up Couerdelion

<<Strange photo>>

I saw this on the TI website. It still makes no sense to me...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭d4r3n

BTH wrote: »
    I saw this on the TI website. It still makes no sense to me...

It looks like they're spelling out AM, Active Multisport?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Echo on the sleep factor.
    Man is it important. I'm still working on it and I've tracked notable improvements and changes from when I get a good run of it and when I don't.
    Stoopid interweb! :D

Good luck in Sportsman's this weekend!

Nice choice with Kilkee also.
    I will see you there :cool:

@BTH thanks. Rosses Point will be some fun, no illness between now and then and I'd hope to be well able to put up a good showing...I'll need to, plenty of talent heading that way that weekend!

@couerdelion thanks for the info! BL took a minute out of my old record :eek: Okay...this just got serious!

@catweazle @d4r3n well done AM (ActivMultisport) is what is spells, it is a bit gay though :o The shorts are cool catweazle ;)

@Fazz apreciate the comments due and the PM on FB on health issues last week. I thought better of The Sportsman and I had a few jjobs at home for mam so I headed home west. Pity but I'll get to test myself soon enough Im sure. Kilkee will be great this year, I'll be hooping to push on from my suprise 16th last year. I'll use my experience of the course to my advantage ;):cool:

Weds 10th Apr

Swim
    NAC LC

Wow, amazing what this bout of flu has taken out of me and also the day after a rub down from Ciaran usually sees me a little sluggish. So:

2x200p steady: 3:38; 3:48 (expected 3:10-3:12)
    3x100sw steady: 1:56; 1:57; 1:57 ( expected 1:39-1:41)
    4x50 fast on 70: 47; 48; 50; 51 (expected 40-42)

What I mean by expected is what I'd expect had I not had my illness, just want to highlight what it has taken out of me. Biggest positive from this is I stuck the session out and got it done.

Run 30 easy

Ditched the garmin for this after this morning. I knew the body is still recovering so I didn't want to push it. I felt very flat altogether and usually I do this circle in 30 min, today it took more like 33. Hoping that the energy will come back by the weekend and before next week. Bike session tomorrow will tell me a lot.

Thurs 11th Apr

Bike

I was nervous about this one. I would know if I was able for it once I started my first of 5 sets of 4@260-90 watts, 2 easy. Well I felt fine so I pressed on.

# HR/watts
    1) 152/275
    2) 149/273
    3) 150/277
    4) 148/271
    5) 152/284

I actually felt pretty good. energy levels returning.

Time 1:00; Dist 30.7km; Power Ave/ NP 211/229; HR 139; Cad 92;

Fri 12th Apr

Swim
    NAC LC

After Weds I was very interested to see if I was coming back to myself. The main set was 6x200 on 4:15 (50m format), hitting 3:30 - a set I am capable of but obviously I am still feeling the effects of last week, so...

1) 3:38(1:49/100)
    2) 3:32(1:46/100)
    3) 3:36(1:48/100)
    4) 3:37(1:48/100)
    5) 3:40(1:50/100)
    6) 3:40(1:50/100)

With the high performance team about to take over the NAC I just had time for a 200 CD so no fast 50's. Off the targeted times but still a good session and more sidns that this virus is indeed leaving the system. I'd be confident of hitting them in two weeks.

Run

Decided to go 30 easy instead of above as i had pushed myself during the swim session and didn't want to push my luck. Went again garmin less again too just so I would keep it slightly easier than easy. Actually, like the swim, felt better than Weds and not as 'flat'. Hopefully now the virus is working it's way out.

Sat 13th Apr

Bike
    2 Hours Easy

Well I got the PM swapped over on Thurs eveing so this was my first time on the TT bike this year and my first time on my new John Cobb saddle. Before buying i had a good consultation process with them, recommend these guys. I was weary of the a different position but it seemed that I got saddle height and saddle position spot on. the saddle took no time to get used of and actually felt pretty great. The shape of it means that my hamstrings are not restricted and I seem to get more leverage and a nicer pedal stroke therefore. Very happy.

Now the spin. I decided to do 2x30km loop as I did not know how I would feel and I would have the option of stopping after an hour as I pass by the house, also it isn't that hilly of a course. I had a feeling though, a good feeling. the body felt great, I put that down to the rub down on Tuesday. I also wasn't feeling tired and flat so the signs were good.

The first loop

I took easy for 10min or so but was pushing a high wattage as it was hilly but then got the wind at my back and it was fairly flat from then on. I had to stop twice for running repairs to my bottle cage (rear mounted), I should have secured it better before I left. I felt suprisingly comfortable on the aero bars, I thought I wouldn't be down on them all that much however I spent about 90% of my time down. Happy days :)

Time 1:02; Dist 30.7km; Speed 29.7kph; Power Ave/NP 197/213; HR 137; Cad 99;

The Second Loop

I was feeling good so I pushed on keeping things controlled, nothing silly. I was zipping along nicely at times and it felt so nice to be gliding along with the wind at my back :) Again one stop for repairs.

Time 59:49; Dist 30:1km; Speed 30.1kph; Power Ave/NP 195/210; HR 152; Cad 99;

In terms of nutrition I just had 1x500ml water with a lemon slice and 1x500ml water with black current. I forgot to bring home gels but that was grand this was a 'just ride' type of session anyway.

Two interesting points

1) My cadence was way higher than normal. Why? Well I usually spin at around 93rpm but I soon realised that spinning at the rate meant my power numbers were too high i.e. going into steady. So I had to drop a gear or two and found myselt settling on 105/6 rpm while cruising on the flats. It felt good. Why was I producing more power for the same cadence than I would while on the road bike? The TT position? The new saddle giving me more leverage? A bit of both? Either way it's a good thing imo.

2) My high HR. For a session like this it should be averaging around 122 but it was much higher today, high easy. There could be a number of reasons for this; The illness, a loss of fitness over the two weeks, the new position etc... I will keep an eye on it.

Over all this session has really helped with confidence and I am the type of guy that thrives off confidence (one of those type of strikers in soccer in my day :) )

Time 2:03; Dist 60.2km; Speed 29.9kph; Power Ave/NP 195/211; HR 144; Cad 99;

Sun 14th Apr

LER

As I wasn't racing an hour easy seemed apropriate. I was hurting by the end of this and it was wild out there! Very suprised (in a good way) to see my pace ain't too bad. I felt I ran like an ape though so the aim is to be back to nice running form for next Sunday's hour.

Time 1:01; Dist 12.88km; Pace 4:45/km; HR 153

Mon 15th April

Run
    30 Easy

Quads a bit stiff from yesterday, indicating poor form, so I started out easier than easy on this. It's very windy out there but not chilly....broke out the shorts today! Yipee!!!

This run two weeks ago would have been 4:20/km pace, I know given two solid weeks I will be back to near that again but I cannot afford another cold.flu at this rate now.

Time 0:30; Dist 6.54k; HR 149; Pace 4:39/km

Swim Coached

I was a bit dubious again, only 2 swims since I was last at a coached session (400TT) so, rather dissappointedly, there would obviously be no improvement, I wouldn't have pusehed on.

After a WU, kick and drills it was into 2x{4x100} with specific instruction to mix up pacing with 4th of set 1 and 1st of set two being 100's hard:

1:29, 1:27, 1:25, 1:27, 1:29, 1:31, 1:33, 1:30

So going well for the first 3, that first 100 hard should be under 1:25 and would have been had I not been ill. Really struggled after that but I am confident that in 3 weeks time if I was to do this again I would hold up. I did my best tonight.

Right that is the last time I bemoan time/training lost. I blame myself for injury and illness, I find that this impowers me and I feel I can do something then to prevent it. Precautions are already in place :)

In saying that...it was very late when I went to bed after training because the Boston Marathon bombings news just broke before swimming so I tuned in after and time got away as I watched in horror. May the dead rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Ive been in shorts all winter! Bloody softie ;-)

Nice swimming. Ive one more Monday night pilates class and i hope to be back to the session with ye after that.

Bambaata wrote: »
    Ive been in shorts all winter! Bloody softie ;-)

Nice swimming. Ive one more Monday night pilates class and i hope to be back to the session with ye after that.

Very good, gives me a chance to push on a bit then :)

Tues 16th April

Bike
    1hr Easy

I have had problems with the PM and sudden drops in cadence and power. When i changed over the PM in B2R last week it was suggested that I remove any other old magnets on the bike. So no magnets for this one and no problems with sudden drop in power/cadence. So it seems the problem is sorted, maybe it was just installed properly this time! Who knows (I might just stick back on the speed/cadence mags again just to see). It is great comfort now and easier to stay in the appropriate zone. Happy days.

I have had my TT for 2 seasons now, this up coming one is season 3 and somehow, somehow I have gotten away with not putting my it on the turbo. Today was the first time. I locked into the zone after 10min of easy peddling and once dialed in it was fun :) Forgot how much I like riding the TT. At one point I got off as the chain needed some oil, much better once applied. When I got back on I sat more forward it felt much better AND it felt far more efficient. So I might just slide the saddle 1cm and raise the saddle slightly, just some tinkering but I feel it's pretty mure there. Today cadence and power matched more closely to what I'd expect so I ain't sure what was going on Saturday, my cad today was 93, were I'd expect, and power average was 186...were I'd expect.

Time 1hr; Dist 31km; HR 124; Power Ave/NP 186/189; Cad 93;

Weds 17th Apr

Swim
    NAC LC

On paper a nice session and I woke up in great form and confident of a good session. If there are no targets in a session I like to have my own rough targets just to give me purpose and help me focus. So the 5x100 alt sw/p steady on 2:15 well with plenty of rest I should have no problem hitting 1:41 (c.CCS). As it transpired the easy session tuned into a battle to survive. Strange. It's a one off session so I have learned not to read too much into it, especially with my recent illness.

5x100 alt sw/p steady on 02:15:

1) 1:47sw
    2) 1:43p
    3) 1:53sw
    4) 1:52p
    5) 1:55sw

The fast 50's off 50 were, well...not fast :) Nervous for my run in the evening now a bit...

Run easy run with build work

So bloody windy out these days. the concerns about how this run would go after this morning did not materialise. I headed to the Castleknock FC/MSB AC grounds as I wanted to get running on grass fo rthe first time this year. It was lovely, love trail running and the ground was perfect, not too soft and not too hard. There was some 30sec build work thrown in too.

Time 0:40; Dist 8.8km; Pace 4:33/km; HR 154; Cad 81;

Thurs 17th April

Bike

I love these sessions, grinding out the prescribed watt range. I like to find what cadence/gear in the 90-95 range will allow me to stay in the range, this evening it was 230-250 4x{8min on, 2min off}, that 80-87%. Once dialled in I concentrate on the cadence and try to keep it constant.

#/WATT/HR/Cad
    1) 240/142/92
    2) 241/144/91
    3) 244/143/94
    4) 248/147/92

I suspect it'll be back up to 90% reps next :) A good sign that I'm getting back on track. So now my thoughts turn tomorrow morning and my swim...hoping that I don't put two poor/frustrating sessions back to back.

Time 1:00; DIST 33km; Watt Ave/NP 205/220; HR 136; Cad 90;

• Advertisement

#/WATT/HR/Cad
    1) 240/142/92
    2) 241/144/91
    3) 244/143/94
    4) 248/147/246

I'd like to believe you ElD, but I'm afraid that I dont :rolleyes:

BTH wrote: »
    I'd like to believe you ElD, but I'm afraid that I dont :rolleyes:

Haha...should get you to proof read for me from now on!

Fri 19th April

Swim
    NAC LC

Left shoulder a bit sore this morning and just like Weds I just could not get anywhere near the times I should be hitting. Strange to say that the form felt good but I just had heavy arms and could not make them move! I got the first 2 of 4 sets done of:

12x100 alt sw/P/B+B on 2 as sw easy, B+B,

and then I had to bail. Left shoulder started to hurt more and by then I was dropping the left elbow so time to call it as I did not want reinforce poor tech.

SO I need to look at my TT set up a bit more closely, pretty sure (positive actually) that the saddle has to be brought forward more and maybe raised a little too. the shoulder will be fine, not swimming again until Monday evening. 2hr spin tomorrow so I need to sort out bike position for that.

Run

What a lovely evening, the nicest evening in months. I again hit for the MSB AC grounds running on the grass. The plan after the WU was 10min steady and 5 min mod hard followed by 5 easy.

Steady: Pace 4:10/km; HR 160
    Mod: Pace 3:58/km; HR 166

Time 31min; Dist 7.2km; Pace 4:16/km; HR 154;

Sat 20th April

Bike 2 hours Easy

What a morning out there. 8:10 start and bib shorts, cycling top, skins top and arm earners all that were required. That sun on your back/face would do the soul wonders :)

Moved the saddle 1cm forward and this definitely helped. I also adjusted the elbow pads and this took a lot of pressure off my forearms. Although the shoulder was still slightly sore it was no worse after the spin and this evening it has improved a lot. The saddle may have to rise a tiny bit but other than that I think I'm good to go now.

The spin was lovely, a simple easy zone spin. I did however notice a drop out in power once and 2/3 times the power dropped but not completely. Getting a second head unit next week to check if its the head unit.

Time 1:53; Dist 57.5km; Apeed 30.1kph; HR 126; Cad 96; Power NP/Ave 206/194;

Upon my return home I preped my race wheels and they are all set now, new tubs and a new ultegra 12-25. I'm not racing for another 3 weeks (The Quiet Man Sprint) and I already can't wait. I'm not quite ready for racing yet (have to learn how to suffer on the run again as the body did not like 5min of mod hard!) but after what I hope to be a good 3 weeks of build-I will be :)

Sun 21st April

Run

A night out last night did not seem to affect me too much by the time this rolled around in the evening. It is so nice to be running in shorts but it is still chilly enough at that time of evening for a long sleeve. I clipped along nicely but dialled it down as it was too pacy really although HR was just below easy but I knew it would creep up eventually. A really enjoyable LER...not often I say that! Actually a really enjoyable weekend of training! :)

Time 1:00; Dist 13.35km; Pace 4:31/km; HR 150;

A good week and ready now for the next 3 building weeks now.

Mon 22nd April

Run
    Easy

Hit the MSB AC grounds and did two loops and back. Again a nice evening but a bit windy.

Time 41min; Dist 9km; Pace 4:33/km; HR 150;

Swim Coached

Another enjoyable session. I enjoy the interaction and social side of this as I train solo almost all the time. I also enjoy the fact it's 45min and a good hit out! After WU and drills we did the main set which consisted of FAST 25's and 50's followed by RACE PACE 100's. I struggled on the fast 25 and 50's, I obviously struggle at this stuff as I haven't been able to do much of it as I keep getting ill! The 100's were grand and I aimed for 1:33-1:30 as my race pace and I hit all 3, so not all bad and the shoulder was fine. However it is important to improve my fast 25 and 50's as you need this turn of pace for the start of a race, coming out of turns and when trying to latch onto groups ahead. However i know even 2/3 weeks and this can improve and I always get fast stuff in my coach prescribed sessions so I will see an improvement in them over the coming weeks...I just need to keep healthy and I continue to work on that each day.

Time 45min; Dist 1,450m

Tues 23rd April

Bike
    Turbo with efforts....

Ah two nights of less than adequate sleep left me fairly flat for this but I set about it in determined fashion. The last 4 min were interurpted and I forgot to stop the timer so ave power is down a bit. I had 3x(10@ 240-260 watts, 5 easy), so thats 83-90% of FTP.

#/Ave Power/HR

1) 249/136
    2) 248/137
    3) 257/140

Arms and shoulder are grand and I'll be interested how the swim goes tomorrow...after a good night sleep that is!

Time 1:05; Dist 33km; Power Ave/NP 200/222; Cad 93; HR 123

Weds 24th April

Swim

This is getting very frustrating. Another abandoned session. I knew after the first length that things were not right. I was fine Monday night but just like Friday my arms were very heavy and I just could not push myself. My fast 50 was a 52 and mod hard 200 was 3:48! This happened me earlier this year and I just stuck at it and it came around eventually. So this has now happened last Weds, last Fri and this Weds. The only thing that I can see linking them is the fact that I was on the TT bike the day before. Now I know the set up isn't right yet but could it really have this effect? We will see on Fri morning as I don't have a bike session today. TBH it is slightly depressing, until I can do these mod hard and hard efforts I won't be improving at all. It's a pity because a few weeks ago after my 400TT I was full of hope and optimism.

Run 45 Easy with build work

Well at least running is going rather well, well that is to say that my HR is quite low for a faster pace now. 150bpm for an average pace of 4:26 and that is coming down all the time. So I can cruise along nicely. Now the problem comes when I have fast or build stuff to do. I get a pain in my side, simply not used of it but I know that the body will adapt as it reacquaints itself with this familiar hurt. It just takes time and then before I know it I will be able to run very close to my threshold (sweet spot) and be enjoying it :)

Time 45:25; Dist 10.2; Pace 4:26/km; HR 152; Cad 82;

Thurs Morn 25th April

Core/Strength

I woke up and something did not feel quite right. Left side of jaw was pretty sore. Anyway got in a good session.

Time 1:15

By the end of work I was in a lot of pain. My glands had swollen on the left side of my face. I had to dump one of my fav sessions-run with steady/mod bits. Pity as I had rattled off 12 days with no missed sessions. Then I woke this morning and could hardly eat or talk. Somehow I found nurofen plus-thank god! Within 30min the inflammation had gone down enough to eat and numbed the pain a good bit. No training today now either. I just hope that the improvement continues and I can train this weekend. This sh1t can get depressing at times I must say. There certainly will not be any major improvement from me this summer, at this stage I'd take getting back to the level I was at last June. Giving up is not an option so I'll just have to deal with this latest set back and then move on.

Sorry to hear that! Did you go to the doc last time for bloods?

I did and everything looked very healthy except the white blood cell count was lower than it should be. There could be two reasons for this:

1) I had the flu when the test was carried out
    2) It might have been the low side of their cycle (white blood cells have a cycle)

So the doc is having me back next Thurs to re-test and Fri for results and full body check-this consists of checking the glands around the throat and neck, armpits and groin, there were some other things mentioned too. I am also getting an ECG done too while I am at it.

So it's not like I am not taking actions on this recent run of ill-health, I'm doing everything I can to solve it :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Jaysus if he doesnt come up with much after that we'll just have ton put you down ;-)

Fingers crossed for you!!

Advertisement