Irish Euro Gold and Silver Commemorative coins - Page 2 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

26-01-2013, 15:28   #16
Backfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcL1971 View Post
Announced in the paper today.

In August 2013 the Central Bank will issue a 15 Euro silver proof coin to commemorate the Centenary of the Lockout.
Very good.

I'll be purchasing one for my collection without doubt.
Advertisement
06-02-2013, 16:36   #17
Napoleon111

Hi
I have posted a question on a new thread today, but have only read yours now, maybe somebody could shed some light for me on my queries
http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...p?t=2056874610
thanks folks
16-02-2013, 11:36   #18
robert2000

This is a great list thanks......Any idea of the current values of these coins?
This would help as I hope to sell most of my Euro coin sets at the coin fair next weekend
16-02-2013, 12:10   #19
DMcL1971

I presume its the annual uncirculated coin sets you are looking to sell. If so, these coin sets haven't changed much in value since they were released. In fact the sets from 2008 onwards are still available to buy fom the central bank, who will be selling them new at the fair.

Selling them to a dealer at the coin fair would certainly be the easiest and most convienient way to sell them all in one go, but unfortunately you won't get the best price as the dealer needs to be able to make a profit when they sell them on. You would probably only get a tenner each. Selling them on eBay or adverts.ie would take longer and have the inconvienince of postage and fees but you would get a better price.

As for the commemorative coins, prices for them vary wildly. I have seen coins sell on eBay at below cost price and at 3 or 4 times cost price. It depends on who is looking to buy on any given day and even on the price of gold and silver.

In summary. If you or anyone is looking to get rid of a collection quickly and easily then the coin fair is the best bet, you turn your collection into cash in one go in one afternoon. If you want to get the most money for your stuff then it means spending weeks on eBay, selling it bit by bit, to different people all over the world and dozens of trips to the post office. It all depends how much effort you want to put in.

In terms of buying, the coin fair is better than eBay, as you can pick up almost anything for your collection all in one go in one room without having to pay for postage on every item and hoping the items actually arrive. At the last coin fair I went looking for three things that I hadn't seen on eBay all year and got them in one go. You can also haggle and get a discount for buying multiple items. You also get to see them rather than relying on photos. You can also compare prices from mulltiple sellers in one room.
16-02-2013, 12:14   #20
Blade

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert2000 View Post
This is a great list thanks......Any idea of the current values of these coins?
This would help as I hope to sell most of my Euro coin sets at the coin fair next weekend
You don't seriously expect someone to write out the current values of every single item on these lists do you? Seeing as you don't even mention which ones you have, would it not be easier for you to look up whatever you have on ebay? Keep in mind that if you are planning on selling Euro coin sets to dealers you won't get anywhere near the market value, in fact in most cases you'll probably lose money on what you originally paid. With the few exceptions of coins and sets that actually shot up in value.
Advertisement
16-02-2013, 12:37   #21
robert2000

Thanks for the advice DMcL1971 It is The Proof sets and the gold and silver double sets things like that the best being the Antarctic explorers double set which I will try to hold on to if i can.

Blade, No I was not expecting someone to write out the current values of every single item on the list, Just a link to a good site that would have the information.
I do know I won't get the best deal at the fair but I have no other choice but to sell my collection, so I thought if there was a list of there current market value I would have some Idea of where to start.
16-02-2013, 23:21   #22
Blade

I don't know of any website that would have a list of Irish Euros and their current values. Even if there was you would have to take the valuations as a very rough guide as prices vary so much. Your best bet there as I said would be to check out what they've sold for on ebay. In fact that's the reason DMcL1971 created these lists as we couldn't find them elsewhere.

The items you mention you'd like to hang on to sound like the ones which have generally increased in value.

As there's a week left before the fair, why not list all the ones you want to sell on Adverts as it's free and you've nothing to lose. You can even list them all as one lot or smaller lots and let people make you offers on individual sets if they want. If that doesn't work out you can always bring them to the fair as a last resort. But you should also consider the ebay route!
23-02-2013, 15:35   #23
DMcL1971

According to the ladies on the Central Bank stand at the coin show today. The following collector coins are due to be released in 2013.

April James Joyce Silver
June JFK Silver
June JFK Silver and Gold Double set
August Lockout Silver
October Rock of Cashel Gold

She said there would not be a single JFK Gold coin, it would only be available as part of a double set.
(3) thanks from:
23-02-2013, 15:47   #24
hexosan

Interest

Quote:
According to the ladies on the Central Bank stand at the coin show today. The following collector coins are due to be released in 2013.

April James Joyce Silver
June JFK Silver
June JFK Silver and Gold Double set
August Lockout Silver
October Rock of Cashel Gold

She said there would not be a single JFK Gold coin, it would only be available as part of a double set.
Do you think there will be the same level of interest in the JfK double set as there was in the Collins double set.
Advertisement
23-02-2013, 15:59   #25
DMcL1971

Who Knows... I never thought there would be any interest in the Michael Collins ones.

On the one hand JFK is a world renowned and much loved figure, so there may be great interest.
On the other hand there will be so much JFK stuff avaiable for the 50th anniversary maybe no one will care.

Personally I doubt JFK is of as much interest to people in Ireland as Michael Collins was, despite his visit here.
Thanks from:
23-02-2013, 16:41   #26
Backfire

Quote:
Who Knows... I never thought there would be any interest in the Michael Collins ones.

On the one hand JFK is a world renowned and much loved figure, so there may be great interest.
On the other hand there will be so much JFK stuff avaiable for the 50th anniversary maybe no one will care.

Personally I doubt JFK is of as much interest to people in Ireland as Michael Collins was, despite his visit here.
Thanks for the update on the upcoming coins.

I will be getting one of each for myself. I will purchase the JFK double set, there wont be huge demand i expect but i dont expect mintage figures to be very high either.
27-02-2013, 17:39   #27
BarryOD

Hey guys,
Was thinking of collecting old coins and commemorative coins, was wondering if there is any advice and do the likes of the ones being released hold their value generally?
28-02-2013, 11:17   #28
DMcL1971

The collector coins being released by the central bank do tend to hold their value. Sometimes they can go up in value greatly. Some of them have doubled and tripled in value but for the most part they don't tend to become particularly valuable. You will usually get your money back if you decide to sell them but not a lot of profit.

It's hard to decide what to collect. You need to consider if you want to collect Irish coins, if so, Euro, Decimal, pre-decimal, ancient? Do you want to collect Euros from other countries or Euro commemorative coins or Euro Collector coins, how about the pre-Euro coins from European countries. How about coins from outside the Euro zone, British coins, American coins, or a coin from every country.

If you can decide what you would like to collect there will usually be someone on here who can then point you in the direction of a website to get more info or a website to start buying from.
28-03-2013, 12:51   #29
Blade

2013 €10 Silver Proof Coin (James Joyce)

Launch of the 2013 €10 Silver Proof James Joyce Coin will be on Wednesday, 10th April 2013.

The issue limit is 10,000 units. The coin, struck to proof quality in sterling .925silver, weighs 28.28g and has a diameter of 38.61 mm.

Price will be €46.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg James_Joyce.jpg (13.1 KB, 89 views)
(2) thanks from:
28-03-2013, 13:02   #30
DMcL1971

Good News Blade. I like the image of the coin.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion