Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
View Poll Results: Would you wear a poppy ?
Yes 378 42.33%
No 515 57.67%
Voters: 893. You may not vote on this poll

06-11-2012, 20:43   #931
john why

Roy keane has one on now. ah well he's from cork
Advertisement
06-11-2012, 22:24   #932
philologos
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurramok View Post

Curious as you constantly harp on about Remembrance, sacrifice of millions etc. Do you also have the same affection for the victims of The Famine of your own country?
Uneqivocally yes. Although through the emigration that followed the world benefited greatly from an Irish diaspora.
06-11-2012, 23:22   #933
bobbysands81

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecode View Post
I wouldn't if I was him. It's bad enough that we here are all subjected to the distorted, biased and incomplete moan fest that is Irish history as taught in this country.

It is very evident that many people have only the simplest version of Irish history in their minds: Essentially the English oppressed us for 600/800/850 years and then we got our glorious freedom in 1916 or around that time.

The tabloid version of Irish history.
So how would you teach Irish history? Completely ignore what has happened to this island because it doesn't fit your narrowminded myopic view?
Thanks from:
06-11-2012, 23:32   #934
bobbysands81

If you're thinking of buying a poppy remember your money is going to people who have murdered Irish kids on Irish streets. Kids such as...

Carol Ann Kelly 12 years, Twinbrook, west Belfast, shot by a plastic bullet fired by a member of the British Army’s Royal Fusiliers, on 19 May 1981. She died two days later.

Anthony McDowell 13 years, Duneden Park, Ardoyne, north Belfast, shot dead on 19 April 1973, by members of the British Army’s Parachute Regiment.

Daniel Hegarty was age 15 years, from Swilly Gardens, Creggan, Derry City. Daniel was shot dead on 31 July 1972, by members of the British Army's Royal Scots Regiment.

Annette McGavigan 14 years old, Drumcliff Avenue, Derry City, shot in the back of the head by a British Army soldier on 6 September 1971.

There's a reason their own Government doesn't look after them and forces them to beg.

"These are shocking conclusions to read and shocking words to have to say, but you do not defend the British army by defending the indefensible."
British Prime Minister David Cameron.
Thanks from:
06-11-2012, 23:35   #935
mikeym

Im not agianst any Irish person wearing it because there reletives may have fought in the war but I would certainly not wear it.

Even if I were on The BBC or ITV I wouldnt wear it.
Advertisement
06-11-2012, 23:57   #936
Rascasse

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbysands81 View Post
If you're thinking of buying a poppy remember your money is going to people who have murdered Irish kids on Irish streets. Kids such as...
Also remember that if you buy an easter lily badge your money is going to a group that killed more children than any other during the troubles.
06-11-2012, 23:58   #937
LordSutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbysands81 View Post
I disagree.

If you buy a poppy in the ROI your contribution almost exclusively goes towards old Irish WWII veterans (Leopardstown Hospital for example), or the widows of Irish WWII veterans. Poppies sold in the ROI are provided by the IRISH Poppy appeal fund, and the procedes are contained & distributed within the ROI. The Irish dead from the Great War (1914-1918) + WWII (1939-45) are the main focus of whom we commemorate here in the ROI.

Last edited by LordSutch; 07-11-2012 at 00:08.
07-11-2012, 00:01   #938
Rascasse

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSutch View Post
I disagree.

If you buy a poppy in the ROI your contribution almost exclusively goes towards old Irish WWII veterans (Leopardstown Hospital for example), or the widows of Irish WWII veterans. Poppies sold in the ROI are provided by the IRISH Poppy appeal fund, and the procedes are contained & distributed within the ROI. The Irish dead from the Great War (1914-1918) + WWII (1939-45) are the main focus of whom we commemorate here in the ROI.

In the First World alone 50.000 Irish men lay dead in the Poppy fields . . . .
Do they proactively collect here? I can honestly say that I have never seen anyone collecting for the legion, nor anyone wearing a poppy.

Last edited by Rascasse; 07-11-2012 at 00:10. Reason: typo
07-11-2012, 00:06   #939
LordSutch

Yes - See post#331 last paragraph.

. . . "Dunno for how much longer though, as the elderly ladies who sell them in Dublin and countrywide are getting fewer and fewer as the years pass by. Obviously you can get a poppy at this time of year in any Church of Ireland/ Methodist or Preysbyterian Church (small contribution always welcome), but Poppy sellers on the streets are slowly becoming a thing of the past in the ROI".
Thanks from:
Advertisement
07-11-2012, 00:48   #940
Spread
Closed Account

Should savages be allowed to wear the poppy?
This is a letter from a British Officer to the homeland. Read and decide for yourself who the savage was. See what the mealy-mouthed colonial apologists will come up with this time.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?attid...number=3&w=800
07-11-2012, 01:44   #941
GRMA
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spread View Post
This is a letter from a British Officer to the homeland. Read and decide for yourself who the savage was. See what the mealy-mouthed colonial apologists will come up with this time.

Link doesnt work I'm afraid
07-11-2012, 02:00   #942
golden lane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spread View Post

i am very disappointed here.....what went on in the past we all are aware of.....we watched it every night on the news...some of us lived it....

as an irishman i am horrified at the implication that irish did not commit atrocities ......and those acts are being condoned by irish people on this thread.....irish people killing irish people.....

no need to post a list of the british side.....seen it, lived it, and am horrified by it.....

but the thought that irish killing irish is being condoned......makes me sick......
07-11-2012, 02:48   #943
Spread
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRMA View Post
Link doesnt work I'm afraid
If it comes out in diminished font ............ use +150
07-11-2012, 02:59   #944
Spread
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden lane View Post
i am very disappointed here.....what went on in the past we all are aware of.....we watched it every night on the news...some of us lived it....

as an irishman i am horrified at the implication that irish did not commit atrocities ......and those acts are being condoned by irish people on this thread.....irish people killing irish people.....

no need to post a list of the british side.....seen it, lived it, and am horrified by it.....

but the thought that irish killing irish is being condoned......makes me sick......
I'm not quite sure if you are familiar with history as a whole. Civil wars - declared or otherwise - are a fact of life. AFAIK people in other countries were just as adept at it, if not better. In scenarios where an occupied army are forced to withdraw, the ensuing power vacuum causes the war/killings/social unrest. So I don't know why you get so upset ......... it happens. I mean, people have been getting killed since Abel.
07-11-2012, 06:16   #945
Nodin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSutch View Post
I disagree.

....as they're nearly all dead, its highly unlikely the majority of funds go towards them.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion