Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MUX 2 launch date ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Slightly off topic, I notice that 3E is now on Ch 5 & RTÉ News Now is on Ch 6 - from Kippure. They were the other way around previously.
    Have they switched on other transmitters too?

Yes, network wide. Thread here - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056686543.

http://www.saorview.ie/news/saorview-rescan-requested-after-2pm-on-10th-july/

This comment from Saorview over on their facebook page
    Kevin Gorman What's the new upgrades?
    5 hours ago.

Saorview Hi Kevin. There are two reasons for the re-scan. Viewers receiving signal from Three Rock need to re-scan because of a channel change at the site. It's moving channels because it's no longer operating as a single frequency network with Kippure. The rest of the country need to re-scan because of a change in the channel line-up on the EPG.
    5 hours ago.

Kevin Gorman Thanks for that, Any new channels gonna be added?
    5 hours ago.

Saorview Not at the moment, although the second multiplex is ready for new channels, we expect there may be some announced early next year.
    5 hours

http://www.facebook.com/saorview

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

RTÉ Gold similar to UK Gold but with a little doc slant like " Yesterday" would be of interest to quite a few people as is borne out by the popularity of Reeling in the Years. Could be a co - production using RTÉ & TV3 archive.
    A European news channel like France 24 or Euronews could be added, can't cost that much since RTÉ & TG4 already use them for night time fill in.
    The addition of some independent radio stations particularly the national ones would be nice.
    Wasn't this that something RTÉ were interested in, but were told they could only have a +1 for some stupid reason. Can't remember now, but I'm pretty sure that RTE hadn't planned on a RTE1 +1.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

byte wrote: »
    Wasn't this that something RTÉ were interested in, but were told they could only have a +1 for some stupid reason. Can't remember now, but I'm pretty sure that RTE hadn't planned on a RTE1 +1.

The last day of the FF Government in Feb 2011 had (part-time) Minister Carey sign a SI to deny RTE their RTE 3 channel and also deny them any extra advertising revenue, as no advertising on the kid's channel and no extra for a +1 channel and no advertising on RTE NewsNow. So RTE went into a sulk and decided to ignore Saorview for a long while.

I think TV3 may have been pleased with the result.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭glimmerman123

I asked on facebook if mux 2 would be switched on at the end of September if TG4 is going to show the ladies football final in HD and this is what Saorview posted back. Hi Sorry for the delay we were checking out the situation but there hasn't been any announcement about TG4 going HD in September and it's unlikely the second mux would be switched on for just one channel. Where will TG4 HD go if it's unlikely the second mux won't be switched on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Maybe RTE2 could go SD for a few hours?

Life ain't always empty.

It will be interesting to see what happens come September but as far as i know mux1 is full and i don't think they can squeeze anymore channels on there let alone TG4 HD.

I asked on facebook if mux 2 would be switched on at the end of September if TG4 is going to show the ladies football final in HD and this is what Saorview posted back. Hi Sorry for the delay we were checking out the situation but there hasn't been any announcement about TG4 going HD in September and it's unlikely the second mux would be switched on for just one channel. Where will TG4 HD go if it's unlikely the second mux won't be switched on?

Saw your comment over on facebook. So where will TG4 HD go if not on Mux 2? The only place I think of is UPC and/or Sky until Mux 2 is launched maybe early next year.

With less than 3 months to possible launch of TG4-HD I'm surprised we haven't had the Broadcasting Act required Public Value Test and Sectoral Impact Assessment as we had for RTÉ2 HD and the new RTÉ channels. This from a Dáil reply last March
    ... Should TG4 be amongst these successful applicants, section 103 of the Broadcasting Act 2009 requires that, as a public service broadcasting corporation, a Public Value Test shall be carried out on any new services proposed by them. As part of this process, I am required, as Minister, to consult with the BAI as to the sectoral impact of any such proposals. This Sectoral Impact Assessment is undertaken by the BAI in accordance with the provisions of section 100 of the Broadcasting Act 2009.

http://debates.oireachtas.ie/dail/2012/03/27/00273.asp#N2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

Not that I'd be interested in it much, but perhaps a channel serving our largest minority language would be useful? I presume there's some Polish equivalent to BBC World/Deutsche Welle/etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

dowtchaboy wrote: »
    Not that I'd be interested in it much, but perhaps a channel serving our largest minority language would be useful? I presume there's some Polish equivalent to BBC World/Deutsche Welle/etc?

euronews with a second audio track in polish !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

pa990 wrote: »
    euronews with a second audio track in polish !!

Brilliant idea :)
    Euronews is available from Astra with 10 different languages already for them to relay. It would compliment the times they have it on RTÉ1, RTÉ2 and TG4 at the same time.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭jamescc

saw this and i think that it might explain alot:
    #

http://cce.gno.ie/ent/2012/07July/10TG4HD.php

Great stuff.
    So yet again commercial (UPC) services are being favoured over the general audience.
    First they get Dáil TV and now TG4 HD. What minister owns UPC these days or should that be what minister is owned by UPC?
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

This is completely unacceptable for a licence fee funded channel :mad:

Life ain't always empty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

RTENL/Soarview are making it up as they go.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭FreshCoffee

It's really a scandal. TG4 is mostly funded by the taxpayer. This funding has paid for everything TG4 needs to go HD.

The second saorview multiplex is now ready for new channels but this taxpayer-funded HD channel will initially be provided only to a commercial service to profit from and denied to taxpayers via the 'free' saorview service.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

UPC are making an attack on Free-To-Air and Sky. They want to see more services on UPC and some exclusive ones to UPC as a Pay Provider, while also making it look like they care, hence the arrival of OTV and IMO TG4HD.

I'd say that TG4 aren't paying to be on UPC as a HD channel, while a HD service on Soarview costs money. This is the same for Oireachtas TV. In my opinion. TG4's on demand service is due to be placed on UPC shortly.

As point out before there is the major issue that any service from TG4 is not FTA, because it receives public funding.

But what has not been point out is the fact that RTÉ had to go through a public consultation from the department and a Sectoral Impact Analysis from the BAI before being granted any new services, including RTÉ Two HD, the same applies to TG4. Neither have been carried out for TG4's suggested new services: -

Just to quote the Minister on this: -
    Should TG4 be amongst these successful applicants, section 103 of the Broadcasting Act 2009 requires that, as a public service broadcasting corporation, a Public Value Test shall be carried out on any new services proposed by them. As part of this process, I am required, as Minister, to consult with the BAI as to the sectoral impact of any such proposals. This Sectoral Impact Assessment is undertaken by the BAI in accordance with the provisions of section 100 of the Broadcasting Act 2009.

http://debates.oireachtas.ie/dail/2012/03/27/00273.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

Elmo wrote: »
    UPC are making an attack on Free-To-Air and Sky. They want to see more services on UPC and some exclusive ones to UPC as a Pay Provider, while also making it look like they care, hence the arrival of OTV and IMO TG4HD.

UPC have been advertising recently on Dublin Buses stating 'Watch Formula 1 For Free on UPC', I kid you not

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Marath

If UPC think that getting TG4 HD makes their tv service superior to Sky, they are sadly mistaken. UPC's broadband service via fibre is way ahead of anyone else, but nobody can touch Sky's tv service for picture quality, channel choice, HD content, the simplicity of Sky+, remote record, Sky Go, etc etc. It's expensive, but like everything else in this world, you get what you pay for, and by the way, as soon as Sky decide that TG4 HD is worth having, they will get it.

Marath wrote: »
    If UPC think that getting TG4 HD makes their tv service superior to Sky, they are sadly mistaken. UPC's broadband service via fibre is way ahead of anyone else, but nobody can touch Sky's tv service for picture quality, channel choice, HD content, the simplicity of Sky+, remote record, Sky Go, etc etc. It's expensive, but like everything else in this world, you get what you pay for, and by the way, as soon as Sky decide that TG4 HD is worth having, they will get it.

Just watch TV3HD appear on UPC only. UPC have started Remote Record and their On Demand service is something that I don't think Sky can provide. In fairness to them they are bring more and more to their customers, they are just slow at doing it.

I was saying that Setanta HD is on UPC for a reason.

Pay TV needs a new model and they have yet to see it, Pay TV light needs to be introduced, an awful lot of pay TV channels that aren't much better then FTA channels, as you say you get what you pay for.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

MUX2 was supposed to launch this year (September 2012 IIRC) and we were expecting the prime driver to be RTE1 HD.

TV3 have not been forthcoming on any plans that I am aware of...not that they produce anything in HD that I know of and only rebroadcast other HD originated content, primarily ITV sourced material.

TG4 is the smallest channel and would be constrained by RTE1 and TV3 plans. In the end the prime driver for MUX2 will be those two channels.

Until one of them jumps, MUX2 will not be required.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Johnny Johnson

Outrageous if this is true. Does anybody know of a contact address for the minister?

UPC have started Remote Record and their On Demand service is something that I don't think Sky can provide.

Remote record has existed on Sky for a long time now while they have an On Demand service in the UK. It is only a matter of time before it is available here.

Is it not a bit ironic that a channel tailored for Gaeltacht communities is being carried in HD exclusively on a cable service where those who would most want to receive it cannot do so? Are there any cabled Gaeltacht areas?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Heh, good point!

Don't think there are any cabled Gaeltacht areas. I doubt even MMDS would be available to them.

Karsini wrote: »
    Is it not a bit ironic that a channel tailored for Gaeltacht communities is being carried in HD exclusively on a cable service where those who would most want to receive it cannot do so? Are there any cabled Gaeltacht areas?
    It's the old story, they don't give a toss about rural communities as long as Dublin is happy.:mad:

It's the old story, they don't give a toss about rural communities as long as Dublin is happy.:mad:

Galway, Waterford, Limerick and Cork also :)

Saorview should have been tested in the West of the country first not the East IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Marath

Just watch TV3HD appear on UPC only. UPC have started Remote Record and their On Demand service is something that I don't think Sky can provide. In fairness to them they are bring more and more to their customers, they are just slow at doing it.

I was saying that Setanta HD is on UPC for a reason.

Pay TV needs a new model and they have yet to see it, Pay TV light needs to be introduced, an awful lot of pay TV channels that aren't much better then FTA channels, as you say you get what you pay for.

Agree with you, UPC are now probably improving their service at a faster rate than Sky, if Sky don't do something fast about adding the likes of RTE Player and a proper on demand service, they could fall behind. However to be fair to Sky, they are hampered in this area because of the appalling broadband service in rural Ireland , where a huge amount of their customers are based. As for TV3 HD, they can go where they want, because if you can get ITV 1 HD, then it will be the same thing. TV3 HD if it ever happens, will consist of the HD content they will acquire from all the ITV shows that they re transmit.

So at the moment TG4 are going to push ahead with their HD plans. To be honest i don't blame them and if they are waiting for mux2 to be switched on it looks like they will be waiting a long time. Maybe when ASO happens in October we might here something on new channels launching on mux2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

UPC is the worst service for availability. It is only available in cabled areas in our major cities. Sky is the best followed by Saorview. Afaik they don't carry HD signals on MMDS.

• Advertisement

Jpmarn wrote: »
    UPC is the worst service for availability. It is only available in cabled areas in our major cities. Sky is the best followed by Saorview. Afaik they don't carry HD signals on MMDS.

I never really understood why they want to brand MMDS as UPC. They should have kept the Chorus brand for MMDS areas IMO.

Would satellite broadband not help both Sky and UPC MMDS in rural areas?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement