Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

so... I started playing rugby

Options
1171819202123»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Conas wrote: »
    Is J5 the very lowest league in Ireland? I doubt you'd get many people going to watch those matches.

Imagine your first match as a beginner. I'd say you'd get some smashing. You'd be running around like a headless chicken, probaly a penalty machine aswell, because you'd probaly be offside the whole time, fumbling the ball. Making a show of yourself.

Your post makes little sense.

Your point about attendances is fairly irrelevant. Although now that you ask I once played a cup game against Terenure that had about 150 hostile fans watching it. Not bad for J5 level.

A player is not going to be thrown into a game, they will most likely train for several weeks before playing a match. You've got to learn somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Conas

I don't care what peoples opinions are. But I stand by what I said. People who are not well built and are beginners will get smashed especially if they are nervous in the tackle. I've seen it happen with my very own eyes. I think it's stupid that someone would want to play rugby after never playing it all their life, it's known fact that some people over the rugby setups are arrogant and outright ignorant people to beginners.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

I don't care what peoples opinions are. But I stand by what I said. People who are not well built and are beginners will get smashed especially if they are nervous in the tackle. I've seen it happen with my very own eyes. I think it's stupid that someone would want to play rugby after never playing it all their life, it's known fact that some people over the rugby setups are arrogant and outright ignorant people to beginners.
    Your the only one being ignorant and arrogant. Almost every club likes to see new players and have people at each level to bring players on.
    Obviously the top teams at a club wont have time to help beginners so thats where J3,J4 and J5 come in.
    Even the suits at the big clubs know the value of players at every level, as the more teams you field the greater your ticket allocation.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Is J5 the very lowest league in Ireland? I doubt you'd get many people going to watch those matches.

Imagine your first match as a beginner. I'd say you'd get some smashing. You'd be running around like a headless chicken, probaly a penalty machine aswell, because you'd probaly be offside the whole time, fumbling the ball. Making a show of yourself.

please have a nice one week break

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Good first session yesterday.I made it through the warm up without pulling a muscle or collapsing and managed to follow most of what was going on during training drills with the backs. We played a 13-a-side game then and I got thrown into the second/third row. Took an elbow to the eye in the first minute and spent the next hour milling into rucks and getting pinged for coming into the side every five minutes or so until I finally copped on. Brilliant fun, even if every one of my joints makes a weird creakikng noise when I move today. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 dunnie

Hi guys, just home to Dublin after being away for a few years and want to take up rugby. I've never played before. I know it's beyond midseason but would clubs be willing to let me start training at this stage? I've let the fitness slide in the last 3-4 months but I am naturally pretty athletic. Absolutely dying to play!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

dunnie wrote: »
    Hi guys, just home to Dublin after being away for a few years and want to take up rugby. I've never played before. I know it's beyond midseason but would clubs be willing to let me start training at this stage? I've let the fitness slide in the last 3-4 months but I am naturally pretty athletic. Absolutely dying to play!

Where are you based?
    Plenty of clubs the there should be one near you. I'm coaching this year so you are more than welcome to send me your details and come along, failing that I could let you know of a good club near where you live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

I see you're in the D4/6 area. Feel free to pop along to Stillorgan.. All.the details are.at.www.dublinrugby.com We have a J5 squad which is a perfect level for learning the basics while having a bit of craic. Feel free to PM me!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 dunnie

Thanks for the responses gents. A guy I know invited me to come and play with Landsdowne so I went down last Wednesday night. My only regret is that I didn't start playing 15 years ago! I had a great time, was made feel very welcome and really enjoyed the game. Second session last night and more of the same! Delighted I've started.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Welcome to the game! Keep us posted on your progress, it's always great to read how the newbies are getting on.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I'm itching to get back playing as soon as my latest injuries heal. Since I started in October I've had a black eye, sprained neck, sprained fingers, lost toenail, pulled hamstring and a broken rib :D

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Sorry to dig up an old thread. Can anyone recommend a club near D10/D20 with a J5 team? tried J4 last year but it was just a bit beyond my level.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Would you be able to drive to training? If so Clondalkin has a j5 team and is within reach.

Here's the league from last season, have a look at the teams and see if you could get to any of them.

http://www.sportsmanager.ie/t4.php?userid=5756&leaguetable=1&report=1&reporttype=mixresults&compid=27403&countyid=69&club_id=&sportid=5

btw this is a great thread, glad you dug it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Bassfish

WeeBushy wrote: »
    Would you be able to drive to training? If so Clondalkin has a j5 team and is within reach.

Here's the league from last season, have a look at the teams and see if you could get to any of them.

http://www.sportsmanager.ie/t4.php?userid=5756&leaguetable=1&report=1&reporttype=mixresults&compid=27403&countyid=69&club_id=&sportid=5

btw this is a great thread, glad you dug it up!
    Ya I can drive wherever. Anyone know much about Clondalkin rfc? Good social aspect? many foreigners (i.e non-Dublin) playing with them?

Bassfish wrote: »
    Ya I can drive wherever. Anyone know much about Clondalkin rfc? Good social aspect? many foreigners (i.e non-Dublin) playing with them?

I've only ever played against them at u20 and J4 level so don't know much about the club. But I always enjoyed our games against them, they seem like a good bunch.

I wouldn't worry about being a foreigner, even the traditional and very 'dublin' clubs like Blackrock, Wanderers, UCD etc. happily accept those from beyond the pale! Provided you get a visa and pass an English test of course ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,729 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Can't recommend tallaght rfc enough, made me very welcome when I started.

Forgot to mention them, easy to get to from the M50 and as Pudsy said, great for new players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Or St Mary's, which has 2 J5 teams

• Registered Users Posts: 9,661 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Tallaghts pre-season start next Monday the 9th in tymon park if you want to come up and join in! bound to be a few other newbies around!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Ok I am going to lock this thread off now and can people us The pimp your club\preseason information\want to start playing rugby thread going forward. This will make it easier to keep a list of the clubs that have given information.

I know having a combined clubs thread and wanting to start playing rugby thread is not ideal but hopefully the slight bit of extra traffic maybe more beneficial over all. If it ends up not working we can look at re splitting them again

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement