[Diabetes] General Chat and Support Thread - Page 45 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

02-03-2012, 12:10   #661
Royal Legend

I will keep an eye on the meter for a few days, if the results vary too much I will give them a call.
Advertisement
02-03-2012, 14:03   #662
CramCycle
"Jan and Klodi's Party Boy"

Mod: Cycling
Send a message via Skype™ to CramCycle
Remember to milk your fingers, get rid of the first drop, don't take from the very tip of the finger, might make a difference, use alcohol wipes first as well.

Sounds like alot and to be honest i don't do half of those things anymore but they are all meant to improve the accuracy.

Meters can vary quite a bit but so can your sugars, so the +/- 7% is a very conservative view, I'd be more of the opinion(not fact) of 1 or 2mmol/L variance on your actual levels.
05-03-2012, 21:22   #663
teacosy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Legend View Post
Thanks for the reply.

Sorry for asking so many questions, seeing as getting medical advice is 2 years away

Today checked bloods around 10am and got 12.7, which was nuts considering I had done nothing out of the ordinary. Tested again and got 5.7. Question, If you delay turning on the tester and getting blood onto the strip, or have trouble with the strip, can it give false readings. I had the same issue in the afternoon, delayed the blood onto the strip, then it read 2.5 !!! I knew I was fine, checked again and was 6.3 or something
I suppose my only thought is, the +/-7% how real is that?

Also as I was told there was a waiting list for two years in the Waterford clinic, I did not do anymore on this. What way do you apply to go on the waiting list?
You should contact your local Health Promotion Service and get yourself a place on their next Structure Patient Education Course (Xpert). This is a free 6 week course that should bring you well up to speed on looking after yourself and your diabetes.
http://www.indi.ie/docs/1479_X-PERT_...ecruitment.pdf
06-03-2012, 22:23   #664
Royal Legend

Nice one Teacosy, Thanks
06-03-2012, 22:34   #665
_AVALANCHE_
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by teacosy View Post
You should contact your local Health Promotion Service and get yourself a place on their next Structure Patient Education Course (Xpert). This is a free 6 week course that should bring you well up to speed on looking after yourself and your diabetes.
http://www.indi.ie/docs/1479_X-PERT_...ecruitment.pdf
They'll just tell you they don't have enough people to run a course at the minute and they'll get back to you when they do.

Of course you'll hear nothing and have to ring them again, where they will feed you the same bullshit....6 months later.
Advertisement
07-03-2012, 21:49   #666
PopTarts

This might be a stupid question.

How easy is it to be tested for diabetes?

Recently I've been having that tingling / numbness in my toes. I know this is a symptom.

Could this be just from a general overload of sugar in my system?

I was tested a year ago and there was no concerns but in the last 3 months my diet has been sh*t and has involved a load of sugar (I'm cutting down now).

Can diabetes develop in a number of months?

I know I need to go to Dr to be tested but just a tad worried
07-03-2012, 22:36   #667
tbh
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopTarts View Post

Recently I've been having that tingling / numbness in my toes. I know this is a symptom.

I was tested a year ago and there was no concerns but in the last 3 months my diet has been sh*t and has involved a load of sugar (I'm cutting down now).

it's very easy. It takes literally 10 seconds. It can develop in a number of months. Your tingling could be any number of things, and you should definitely follow up with your doctor, but I've never heard of a case where tinging and numbness was the only symptom - generally a huge thirst and constant peeing are the tell-tale signs. If you don't have those, the tingling could be a warning sign that you could get diabetes if you don't sort yourself out (I assume we're talking type 2 here - are you overweight?)

Listen, there's no point in putting off going to your doctor because you're worried. I understand the logic behind that, believe me, but the doc is there to help. If you *do* have diabetes, you need to start treatment asap. If not, you need to stop worrying
07-03-2012, 22:36   #668
gerrybbadd

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopTarts View Post

One of the things about Type 1 Diabetes is that it can come on very quickly, like a matter of weeks. Generally, the doctor will do a blood test initially, and if the blood glucose levels are high(should be a fasting test) you'd be referred in for more tests then.
08-03-2012, 20:29   #669
gerrybbadd

Hypos suck! I'm currently at 2.8mmol, shaking like a leaf, dizzy, and stuffing jolly ranchers and Hershey's kisses into me.
Advertisement
08-03-2012, 21:43   #670
CathyMoran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrybbadd View Post
Hypos suck! I'm currently at 2.8mmol, shaking like a leaf, dizzy, and stuffing jolly ranchers and Hershey's kisses into me.
2.8 - I was 1.7 earlier! I find toffee is better for lows, higher GI.
Thanks from:
08-03-2012, 22:08   #671
Royal Legend

my bloods all over the place this week, had a cold, nearly gone now, so hopefully back to normal after weekend. They were highish last Saturday and went to a family do and said fe ck it, and eat desert at the meal, which I have not done in a long time, took an extra tablet to combat
17-03-2012, 00:26   #672
ElBarco

Have had a nice evening with a curry and a couple of drinks. Once again reminded what a pain in the arse it is trying to work out an accurate dose of a potentially fatal drug when slightly inebriated.
(3) thanks from:
17-03-2012, 09:09   #673
CathyMoran

I can relate - I tend to eat safer in the evening and eat what I want within reason at lunch.
Thanks from:
28-03-2012, 14:15   #674
5live

Nothing to say really, just didnt want the thread going to page 3 because i might forget where to find it
(3) thanks from:
28-03-2012, 14:31   #675
CramCycle
"Jan and Klodi's Party Boy"

Mod: Cycling
Send a message via Skype™ to CramCycle
Bumping, tut tut, now what did i come hear to say again

Losing my good control lately (well the last week) so tired from work that I can't tell when my bloods are high or low, feel horrific. Started when I dislocated my patella last week and haven't had any excercise sine.

Hopefully back out on the bike tomorrow to get going again, put on half a stone in a week, not good.
(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion