Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

03-02-2012, 13:29   #751
Mental Mickey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pembily View Post
Your original post, that is vague, very vague, if you had said it more clearly then Otis might have been able to do something about it. Your next request is the exact same.

I expect a barrage of abuse for the above but while Otis suggested the beers and has organised the venue, it's not his paid or non paid job to do it and there are lots of others here who could have checked it out!
It may not be, but the fact that he is responsible for the organisation of the event in the venue, the least he could do is make a phone call?
Advertisement
03-02-2012, 13:34   #752
bluewolf
being awesome

could you not have raised all these objections in the very long time period that we were asking him to book
(3) thanks from:
03-02-2012, 13:36   #753
Maguined

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mental Mickey View Post
Excuse me, but how the **** is that vague???? Simple question.
Your question was not vague, it was very simple and straight forward asking if it is wheelchair accessible and there is no problem with that question.

However your attendance depending upon that question you never made clear, it does take ages to organise these events to try to cater to as many people as possible, picking the date normally takes a week or two and then same again for the venue before the organiser takes time out of their personal life to go to the bother of arranging the booking with the selected venues.

It's not like Otis wants to intentionally exclude people it's just very hard to go back to the start and reorganise everything all over again, especially considering there are a couple of people who have already booked rooms in hostels/hotels based upon it being in Cassidy's.
Thanks from:
03-02-2012, 13:37   #754
Otis Driftwood
Closed Account

This is going around in circles.MM made no mention of possibly going until after the place had been picked,that is the fact of the matter.

It's two weeks away and it has been booked and will remain booked.

Its a pity that it isn't accessible for one poster and at the next one,if its made clear that anyone wants to go that has mobility issues before some where is chosen and booked,then absolutely we can try and find somewhere that suits but that will involve going to pubs to check each one individually something that isn't feasible this time around as it is two weeks away and there will likely be a big crowd.

End of story.
03-02-2012, 13:40   #755
Otis Driftwood
Closed Account

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pembily View Post
Your original post, that is vague, very vague, if you had said it more clearly then Otis might have been able to do something about it. Your next request is the exact same.

I expect a barrage of abuse for the above but while Otis suggested the beers and has organised the venue, it's not his paid or non paid job to do it and there are lots of others here who could have checked it out!
It may not be, but the fact that he is responsible for the organisation of the event in the venue, the least he could do is make a phone call?
Check back a few pages,I TRIED to ring them but their number is not connected.I had to physically go in to book it and didnt get a chance til yesterday to do so.
Advertisement
03-02-2012, 13:43   #756
niamhx

MM I'm sorry this hasn't worked out for you, but surely if you really wanted to go, a pm to Otis would have been in order to explain your mobility problems in advance ? He couldn't/shouldn't have had to know what your needs are unless you explained them. I think you'd know yourself what pubs in Dublin cater for wheelchair access. I certainly know the pubs/clubs I don't like !

Again I'm sorry your missing out
(2) thanks from:
03-02-2012, 13:56   #757
sunflower27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis Driftwood View Post
This is going around in circles.MM made no mention of possibly going until after the place had been picked,that is the fact of the matter.

It's two weeks away and it has been booked and will remain booked.

Its a pity that it isn't accessible for one poster and at the next one,if its made clear that anyone wants to go that has mobility issues before some where is chosen and booked,then absolutely we can try and find somewhere that suits but that will involve going to pubs to check each one individually something that isn't feasible this time around as it is two weeks away and there will likely be a big crowd.

End of story.
Not everyone will read threads every day to know when a venue is decided upon. In all likelihood, plenty of people have decided to go since the venue was picked. And that is obviously fair enough - I don't think anyone would have any question or problem with that. It's only fair.

It's a shame in this case that it means someone will actually miss out.

Have to say, I took wheelchair accessible to mean what it said on the tin, hence the recommendations. You learn something new every day - thanks to those that clarified it.
Thanks from:
03-02-2012, 14:02   #758
Otis Driftwood
Closed Account

The thread title was changed on the day we decided on Cassidys.
(2) thanks from:
03-02-2012, 14:14   #759
johnr1
Closed Account

Mental Mickey, I know this may not be PC, or may be impractical/ embarrassing for you, but I'm going to the meetup, I don't drink, and I've a strong back if being lifted up or down a stairs is an issue. I obviously don't know you, but if you think this is of any help, or even possible, then just let me know. I'll be there all night, and as I said, because I don't drink, I'll still be sober enough to safely help later on in the night

Just wondering as I'm writing this if the bar would allow it. You'd probably know yourself from experience.

Btw, I appreciate how difficult organising this is for Otis. We appreciate it man.

(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
03-02-2012, 14:14   #760
sunflower27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis Driftwood View Post
The thread title was changed on the day we decided on Cassidys.
Plenty of people will have found out the meet was on after the decison was made. Lots of people won't be checking in to this forum all the time.

The actual venue is of little consequence to most, ie, a pub in Dublin is a pub in Dublin. I think anyone that decided to go would be going to meet other people on here and not for what pub it is. It really is of little importance, unless of course their are restrictions, as we now know.

I was not aware how few places there were for people in wheelchairs. I have not seen this sort of situation ever arise on boards in the time I have been posting, so yes, it is a real shame someone will miss out.

Nice suggestion there, johnr1.
Thanks from:
03-02-2012, 14:16   #761
cyrusdvirus
Closed Account

Won't be making this one unfortunately, Li'l Ms G.C. is working the weekend, so i'd doubt very much she'll be in the form to go out...

Next time hopefully!!

And reading the last few pages, (and as someone who has organised a couple of stag night/weekends etc) people don't realise what a royal pain in the arse organising these things are, especially for no thanks or reward.

MM, next time be a bit more forward, d as niamhx suggested, send a PM to the organiser.
03-02-2012, 15:04   #762
Daisies

Quote:
But the thing is he's not responsible. He suggested beers and offered to book the venue. It is something that Otis does in his own free time for little or no reward and he shouldn't be made feel bad about something that came up AFTER the venue was decided.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewolf View Post
could you not have raised all these objections in the very long time period that we were asking him to book
+1
(2) thanks from:
03-02-2012, 16:43   #763
Larianne

See Otis, shudda booked earlier! (Joking!)

Okay, so I don't want to drag this out. Few things went a bit wrong.

If I remember right, MM said he might go. And someone checked online to see if pub was wheelchair friendly - website said it was. Otis goes to book and it isn't. I had a look at a thread on boards here and there isn't that many wheelchair accessible/friendly bars in Dublin at all which is terrible imo. I guess this late in the day it is a bit difficult to change this.

I apologise to you, Otis as I thought it would be easy to change to a more suitable venue but it doesn't seem likely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnr1 View Post
Mental Mickey, I know this may not be PC, or may be impractical/ embarrassing for you, but I'm going to the meetup, I don't drink, and I've a strong back if being lifted up or down a stairs is an issue. I obviously don't know you, but if you think this is of any help, or even possible, then just let me know. I'll be there all night, and as I said, because I don't drink, I'll still be sober enough to safely help later on in the night

Just wondering as I'm writing this if the bar would allow it. You'd probably know yourself from experience.
This will be a Health & Safety and Fire issue so it cannot be done.

MM, I think everyone here as learned the difficulties you face when out soclising regarding access. I didn't realise it would be so difficult myself. No-one I know from this forum would purposely exclude somebody from a social event. As it stands it looks like it'll have to be another beers (which is never too far away). Maybe make some suggestions for venues yourself so we have an idea what is suitable.
(3) thanks from:
03-02-2012, 16:48   #764
Larianne

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatecrash View Post
Won't be making this one unfortunately, Li'l Ms G.C. is working the weekend, so i'd doubt very much she'll be in the form to go out....
Under the thumb already!
Thanks from:
03-02-2012, 18:45   #765
smallBiscuit
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larianne View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatecrash View Post
Won't be making this one unfortunately, Li'l Ms G.C. is working the weekend, so i'd doubt very much she'll be in the form to go out....
Under the thumb already!
Come on, I've never met Ms B.C., so she won't be missed
I'm about 80% sure you won't wake in an alley with no memories and an awfully sore arse, so come along and meet the weirdos from the internet
(although I thought I heard pembily asking about strap ons in another thread, so watch out for her)
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion