Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

21-12-2011, 18:10   #1
PTH2009

6 Phoenix Park Concerts 2012

According to a national newspaper today Mcd plan to hold 6 concerts at phoenix park for the summer of 2012.

Who do u say these acts will be ???

My Guess

Stone Roses (Already Confirmed)
Metallica
Lady Gaga
Foo Fighters
Coldplay
Either The Killers/Paul Mcarthny or Someone else
Advertisement
21-12-2011, 20:32   #2
Grindylow
Closed Account

Stone Roses
Lady Gaga
Rihanna
Radiohead
Florence And The Machine
Coldplay
21-12-2011, 21:15   #3
Furious-Red

Stone Roses
Rihanna
Coldplay
Lady Gaga
The Killers
Snow Patrol(I know it might be too big but they can scale down capacity)

If Slane doesnt happen Foo Fighters instead of SP
21-12-2011, 21:25   #4
scudzilla

I don't really give a rats who plays there so long as they allocate one of the days to a Rock/Metal band (s)
21-12-2011, 21:36   #5
Furious-Red

Actually hopefully that could mean we get these guys?

Advertisement
21-12-2011, 22:01   #6
karaokeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by scudzilla View Post
I don't really give a rats who plays there so long as they allocate one of the days to a Rock/Metal band (s)
They would sort of have to.

I doubt any other pop stars could sell 80,000 even with their massive mainstream base.

Reckon Lady GaGa will be one anyway as she still has to tour this album and it seems more likely than her doing another 5 concerts at the O2.

Not so sure if Rihanna could sell that many on her own but apart from that I don't think any other days will be allocated to pop acts as headliners.

There is 6 days, you can be pretty sure most of them will be given to rock bands.

I'd say The Killers are a good bet, maybe them with Snow Patrol sub-headlining that would be pretty good value for €63 a day ticket.

I just hope we will hear announcements soon and hopefully this won't turn into 30 pages of speculation.
21-12-2011, 22:03   #7
Furious-Red

Quote:
Promoter MCD has confirmed the Oxegen festival will be taking a break next year, as Glastonbury is doing.

Separately, it has applied for a licence to stage up to six concerts in the Phoenix Park next July. Each concert will have a capacity for up to 45,500 people.

The Stone Roses have already been confirmed for a concert on Thursday, July 5th which is the day before Oxegen was due to start. To date it has coincided with its sister festival, T-in-the-Park in Scotland, which takes place on the weekend of July 6th to 8th.

MCD may host a conference the day after the Stone Roses play or during that weekend to coincide with T-in-the-Park. It would be followed by a number more through July. The Phoenix Park concerts will be similar to those held in Marley Park where the stage is set up and various acts play over a number of weeks. Each show will be a standalone event.

Suspicions that Oxegen would not be going ahead next year were amplified when no pre-Christmas announcement was made about early bird tickets despite those for T-in-the-Park being announced.

Oxegen has been running from 2004 and is the biggest music event in Ireland attracting major contemporary music acts. Last year’s line-up included Beyonce, Coldplay and the Black Eyed Peas.

Prior to Oxegen the event was known as Witnness. It took place at Punchestown Racecourse and, at its peak, sold out its capacity of 80,000 tickets.

However, the recession has taken its toll on those in 18 and 25 age cohort for whom the festival has been a right of passage.

Some 58,000 people attended on Friday of last year’s festival with 70,000 attending the Saturday and Sunday. These numbers were significantly down on previous years.

The announcement has become something of the worst kept secret in Irish music. It now remains to be seen if a succession of concerts in the Phoenix Park on the lines of the festivals in Victoria Park in London will be hosted in Dublin next summer. Among the acts touring next year that could play the Phoenix Park are Coldplay, Lady GaGa, Black Sabbath, The Who and The Beachboys.
So with a capacity of 45,000 then it might make it easier to sell out instead of going for 60,000 or 80,000
21-12-2011, 22:11   #8
iangobl
Closed Account

I heard Foo fighters said at oxegen last year they would be back in ireland in summer 2012. Hopefully they play one of these. Ill be first in line if they are anyway
(3) thanks from:
21-12-2011, 22:14   #9
RayCon

My money's on Black Sabbath
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
21-12-2011, 22:18   #10
Mushy

Really hope no act gets two night. Great chance to attract more better lineups for varying bands. I can still see lady gaga getting two of the nights tho which is stupid.
21-12-2011, 22:21   #11
scudzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayCon View Post
My money's on Black Sabbath
Good shout, Never thought of them but you may be onto something here.

With a good support line up they'll easily sell it out, and Sabbath always have a great support for the big outdoor gigs, and normally newer and younger heavier bands too.

Even though i can't stand what Sabbath has become now i'll probably go
21-12-2011, 22:22   #12
O'Doodle

Two Door Cinema Club
Snow Patrol
Foster and the People
The Killers
Snow Patrol
Muse
Foo Fighters

that leaves U2 to play Slane
21-12-2011, 22:25   #13
scudzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by O'Doodle View Post
Two Door Cinema Club
Snow Patrol
Foster and the People
The Killers
Snow Patrol
Muse
Foo Fighters

that leaves U2 to play Slane
Two Door Cinema Club & Foster and the People headlining a 45,000 Phoenix Park gig.

BARMAN, I'll have a pint of what this guy's drinking please
21-12-2011, 22:26   #14
O'Doodle

Course not head-ling, just as long as these bands are playing along with the bigger acts I'll be happy
22-12-2011, 00:17   #15
StaticAge11

Metallica In June, kick off the gigs by tearing the place down
(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size