Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Logically Sinn Fein are right

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭jimaneejeebus

I suppose this is going to be one of the more stupider questions on this thread.

If we cannot afford to keep the country afloat with our own money without borrowing money, surely we cannot afford to continue to borrow to keep it afloat ?

Hi your exactly right. Most Analysts agree that we won't even be able to pay the interest on all our loans. [don't forget we already have 100billion outstanding!]
    As a country we earn nothing in a year. In fact, we lose money in a year.

You've asked what countless people seem to forget about in this thread. What countless politicians seem to gloss over when you ask them about it
    People ask how are we going to survive if we default.
    The more important question should be. How are we going to survive when we default?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

How are we going to survive when we default?

There are many people (and plenty in this thread) who live in dreamland and dont seem to understand how serious the whole thing has become. Probably because the papers havent mentioned it.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭KIERAN1

china and usa aint going too help,they have there own things too deal with,sf sf suppoerters think burn bondholder,so bye too imf and eu and go across too usa,says it all there,sf no clue

Your posting to this thread, the same old tired argument over and over again, even though I addressed this point previously to you, do you not read. China has already offered to help buy up the debt of Greece and Portugal.You make blank empty statements like this all the time, do some research.

But the thing is people really really do and seemingly when engaged on it they either can't grasp the current situation or SF's level of ineptitude. Really says a lot about the type of person that votes SF in the first place.

Without wanting to cause a ruckus...Isn't generalizing about certain groups who are affiliated with certain parties against the rules of this forum?
    As in this post in the forum rules?
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=70609792&postcount=9

"Calling a group of supporters idiots is the same as calling individual supporters of the party on here idiots. Please don't do this."

Granted, I accept that you didn't directly call Sinn Fein supporters idiots. But I think the text implies this?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

maccored wrote: »
    This is nothing like the 80s btw.

Here you'll see that in 1990, 26.7% of our tax take went on debt interest. In 2010 it was 11%. Public debt/GDP reached 120% in the 80s, it won't go that high this time.

It's not fair that the Irish taxpayer is paying for all of this, but it's quite doable. It would only be somewhat better if we had burned the bond-holders, we'd still be in the poo, we'd still need the IMF/EU loan, and we'd still need massive cuts in Welfare and Health along with big tax hikes.

But we'd feel better about it.

• Advertisement

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/mcauleyn/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG]Here you'll see that in 1990, 26.7% of our tax take went on debt interest. In 2010 it was 11%. Public debt/GDP reached 120% in the 80s, it won't go that high this time.

It's not fair that the Irish taxpayer is paying for all of this, but it's quite doable. It would only be somewhat better if we had burned the bond-holders, we'd still be in the poo, we'd still need the IMF/EU loan, and we'd still need massive cuts in Welfare and Health along with big tax hikes.

But we'd feel better about it.

Life isnt as simple as comparing tax rates. theres plenty of differences (and bad ones) between now and the 1980s and to pretend that because the country got through the 80s, that it'll get through this (paying how many billions interest a year?) is just head in the sand stuff.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Soldie

What I find strange is that the Sinn Féin supporters who infest each and every thread that is in any way related to Northern Ireland (of which there are now 4 on the main page of the politics forum) are nowhere to be seen whenever there's a thread scrutinising their economic policies. Why is that? Do they realise that their economic policies are pure fantasy, but support them anyway, in light of their republicanism?

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Someone owes you a lot of money and they announce to you that they've decided that they are not going to repay you any of it. A week later they come knocking on your door looking for more.....do you give it to them?

Let's say even optimistically that Ireland is able to borrow on the markets after a year of being frozen out. How do SF propose in the meantime to pay the dole, teachers, nurses etc. for that year after telling the IMF to feck off while at the same time reversing previous cuts? Their figures simply don't add up.

Whilst SF are probably not ideal, they are the only ones who are suggesting this. Suggesting what is morally right. Suggesting what-most would argue-we'll have to do anyway. Remember the 4 year plan and this years budget? The banking crisis and the whopping 400% mortgage we were signing up to were reduced to footnotes in what were very sizeable documents. It's the same story when FF Lab FG reps call to the door. They start bandying around words like, 'pro-active' 'let's get this country moving' 'going forward' 'five point plans' etc etc.

What about the huge great elephant in the corner that no-one seems to have a blind notion as to how we ever think we're going to feed the f**ker

Read this and tell me if you think it makes sense....http://thepeopleseconomy.com/roadmap-to-recovery/
    Because I think it makes way more sense than the 'head in the sand' policy that most of the main parties seem to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,808 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

What about the huge great elephant in the corner that no-one seems to have a blind notion as to how we ever think we're going to feed the f**ker

With the EU/IMF money we have four years to reduce our budget deficit to a managable level. Once this is achieved we will be able to borrow on the bond markets again at a lower rate of interest than that of the bailout money. We borrow on the bond markets to repay the EU/IMF. The reason the interest rate for the bailout is quite high is to give us an incentive to pay it off asap, they are making sure they get their money back.

Whatever you think of the current plan, SFs plan is just stupid. It would see us out of money by the end of the year (NPRF will be gone in a few months), with a higher budget deficit (because they want to get rid of USC and reverse cuts) and no one to borrow money from (who in their right mind would give money to someone who has just defaulted on billions of euro of loans?). How can you worry about repaying debt in the future if we cant even pay teachers, gardai, nurses, etc. this year?

Soldie wrote: »
    What I find strange is that the Sinn Féin supporters who infest each and every thread that is in any way related to Northern Ireland (of which there are now 4 on the main page of the politics forum) are nowhere to be seen whenever there's a thread scrutinising Sinn Féin's economic policies. Why is that? Do they realise that their economic policies are pure fantasy, but support them anyway, in light of their republicanism?

I don't support them in light of their republicanism. Although, it's not an unreasonable stance either considering it got us our independence?

I do support them however on moral grounds. Paying bankers-however you look at it-is just plain wrong.
    http://thepeopleseconomy.com/roadmap-to-recovery/

• Advertisement

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    With the EU/IMF money we have four years to reduce our budget deficit to a managable level. Once this is achieved we will be able to borrow on the bond markets again at a lower rate of interest than that of the bailout money. We borrow on the bond markets to repay the EU/IMF. The reason the interest rate for the bailout is quite high is to give us an incentive to pay it off asap, they are making sure they get their money back.

Whatever you think of the current plan, SFs plan is just stupid. It would see us out of money by the end of the year (NPRF will be gone in a few months), with a higher budget deficit (because they want to get rid of USC and reverse cuts) and no one to borrow money from (who in their right mind would give money to someone who has just defaulted on billions of euro of loans?). How can you worry about repaying debt in the future if we cant even pay teachers, gardai, nurses, etc. this year?

Pay it off asap? We wont be paying off the EU/IMF loan any time soon, according to the economist on Frontline last week. We'll be 'recycling' it and paying the interest indefinitely.

Plus, we wouldnt run out of money before the end of the year if we declined the bailout - we'd have approx 16 months within which time it would need to be decided which bonderholders get paid and which dont.

What I find strange is that the Sinn Féin supporters who infest each and every thread that is in any way related to Northern Ireland (of which there are now 4 on the main page of the politics forum) are nowhere to be seen whenever there's a thread scrutinising Sinn Féin's economic policies. Why is that? Do they realise that their economic policies are pure fantasy, but support them anyway, in light of their republicanism?

what i find strange is the amount of people who dont seem to have a balls notion of whats going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭analucija

I do support them however on moral grounds. Paying bankers-however you look at it-is just plain wrong.

So according to you is wrong to pay bankers (bond holders) and not wrong to borrow money from the same bond holders next year. Some haircuts will probably have to be negotiated but not the way SF are suggesting (there is an article in todays Times about Danish banks and their haircut on senior bonds). SF are suggesting just walking away and are forgetting that we have nice big hole in public finances anyway. Plucking that hole in a year would probably get us into a depression and do more damage than sorting out bank debts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

analucija wrote: »
    So according to you is wrong to pay bankers (bond holders) and not wrong to borrow money from the same bond holders next year. Some haircuts will probably have to be negotiated but not the way SF are suggesting (there is an article in todays Times about Danish banks and their haircut on senior bonds). SF are suggesting just walking away and are forgetting that we have nice big hole in public finances anyway. Plucking that hole in a year would probably get us into a depression and do more damage than sorting out bank debts.

Thats not my understanding of what sinn fein are saying!

My understanding is that they are saying disown the bank debts not our soverign national debts.

We should be paying them back for money we borrow to run the country but not money we would have to borrow to rescue failed private entities(banks).

With the EU/IMF money we have four years to reduce our budget deficit to a managable level.

Whilst a balanced budget is admirable a debt of 200,000,000,000 is not!
    Once this is achieved we will be able to borrow on the bond markets again at a lower rate of interest than that of the bailout money.

Who will want to invest in a country with a debt to gdp ratio of 200%? If analysts are even now saying that we won't be able to pay this back, who the hell is going to want to give us more money????

The argument I [and many others like me] am making is that we have more of a chance of getting money on the markets with a smaller manageable debt, which we might actually have a chance of paying back.
    We borrow on the bond markets to repay the EU/IMF.

Again, I don't think you understand the gravity of what you are saying. Many analysts already say that we won't be able to pay this back. Who is going to invest in a country that everyone knows won't be able to honour its bonds?

Whatever you think of the current plan, SFs plan is just stupid.
    As opposed to doing nothing right?
    (who in their right mind would give money to someone who has just defaulted on billions of euro of loans?).

Happens all the time. Germany, Russia, Pakistan, Ukraine, Iceland, Argentena.
    Seems to be a way out of it?
    How can you worry about repaying debt in the future if we cant even pay teachers, gardai, nurses, etc. this year?

And this is exactly the same question we will need to ask ourselves when we default and go to the markets after 15 years of depression, and drudgery. But hey stay positive everyone we've got a five point plan which glosses over the gaping hole in our finances like it doesn't even exist. Be proactive everyone. Going forward, I see light at the end of the tunnel, We'll need to dig deep, but we'll come out smiling on the other side...ahh by gorra aye!

Read this and tell me if you think it makes sense....http://thepeopleseconomy.com/roadmap-to-recovery/

His big point seems to be this:

Before we discuss economics, let’s introduce the word morality because a policy has to be morally right for it to work.

which is nonsense. I agreed upthread that it's not fair for the Irish taxpayer to be on the hook for Anglo, but that doesn't mean it's impossible. In addition, elsewhere on the same site you'll read that the banks are not the main problem at all. Even if Biffo had done the right thing and burned the bondholders, we'd still be in a huge hole, we'd still be looking at cuts, tax rises and an EU/IMF loan.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭niallers1

Have you considered that there may be more Sinn Fein closet supporters out there than people realise. Particulary Fianna Fail supporters who will not be voting for Fianna Fail this time but also cannot bring themselves to vote for Fine Gael.... Just a thought

And before you accuse me I'm not a Sinn Fein supporter but I do agree with separating sovereign debt from bank debt as put forward by Dave McWilliams/Sinn Fein

So according to you is wrong to pay bankers (bond holders)

Yes...their investment can go up as well as down...You know that right?
    ....and not wrong to borrow money from the same bond holders next year.
    Are you a banker? Do you sympathize with their plight? I know they have it tough what with us paying back ALL the money they should have lost>
    SF are suggesting just walking away
    Makes sense to me. It's not our debt remember????
    Plucking that hole in a year would probably get us into a depression and do more damage than sorting out bank debts.

Well that's the issue isn't it. Or would it be better if we just did nothing for 10 years and then walk away?
    His big point seems to be this:

Before we discuss economics, let’s introduce the word morality because a policy has to be morally right for it to work.....

Well I for one would actually like our country's policies to be steered by some shred of morality?
    ....which is nonsense.

Are you suggesting that our countries policies should be guided by immorality?
    I've had enough of immorality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Euroland

Now there is broad agreement among leading Irish and foreign economists and financiers that Ireland has very high probability of sovereign default around 2013-2014. Sovereign default would bring far more serious consequences than the bank debt default.

The only way to avoid it is to:

1) Restructure or default on bank debt (in case of restructuring the haircuts should be significant, i.e. 70-95%)
    2) Extend the term for the austerity measures, from current ECB-imposed 3-4 years to 5-6 years
    3) Renegotiate interest terms to realistic levels (below 4.5%)
    4) Apply reasonable measures to eliminate wasteful public spending (public sector salary reductions and caps; caps on state pensions; significant reduction in social welfare payments and term caps on them, etc)
    5) Create jobs

However, 3 main parties (FG, Labour, and FF) still don’t want to recognize the very high probability of sovereign default within 2-3 years and still avoid taking clear policies on bank debt restructuring/default and all other areas mentioned above.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭skregs

Logically, Sinn Fein pipe bombed children

• Advertisement

Euroland wrote: »
    Now there is broad agreement among leading Irish and foreign economists and financiers that Ireland has very high probability of sovereign default around 2013-2014.

People keep saying this without linking to any Irish or foreign economist who actually does think that.

Euroland wrote: »
    Now there is broad agreement among leading Irish and foreign economists and financiers that Ireland has very high probability of sovereign default around 2013-2014. Sovereign default would bring far more serious consequences than the bank debt default.

However, 3 main parties (FG, Labour, and FF) still don’t want to recognize the very high probability of sovereign default within 2-3 years and still avoid taking clear policies on bank debt restructuring/default and all other areas mentioned above.

Under SFs economic policy we will be pennyless by the end of the year (NPRF spent, no IMF money and nowhere to borrow) so under SF we will default on sovereign debt this year. At least if we stick to the bailout agreement the EU and IMF can help us if we are in danger of defaulting. They dont want us to default on bank debt because it would damage them so is also in their interest to prevent us from defaulting on sovereign debt. If SF get their way and we reject their money and default on other loans from them our sovereign debt default would not effect them meaning they would not help us.

Basically, we can go with SF, spend all our own money and tell everyone offering us more money to p*ss off which would mean sovereign debt default is inevitable this year, or we can work with those who are giving us money because it is in both our interests to prevent us from defaulting.

People keep saying this without linking to any Irish or foreign economist who actually does think that.

There is lot of evidence out there to support the Sinn Fein Stance.

The single currency dropped sharply as fears over eurozone sovereign debt resurfaced.

The euro came under pressure on concerns that Portugal could yet follow Greece and Ireland and ask for a bail-out from its eurozone partners to shore up its finances.

The yields on Portuguese 10-year government bonds rose to a euro-era high, forcing the European Central Bank, which temporarily suspended its bond buying programme last month, back into the market to buy Lisbon’s paper. “Just as the market thought that eurozone officials had the crisis in hand and the euro could resume its up trend, sovereign debt fears have once again crawled out of the woodwork,” said Kathleen Brooks, of Forex.com.

She said that one reason for the shift in sentiment was the tone of debate regarding eurozone nations that have received bail-outs already.

The European Central Bank has warned that Greece and Ireland should not default on their debts or impose penalties on senior bondholders. “However, investors will not be hoodwinked and see the chances of Ireland Greece eventually defaulting as fairly high,” said Ms Brooks. “By dismissing fears about this prospect, instead of trying to come up with an orderly mechanism for default, the European authorities are causing market jitters.”

By Peter Garaham.

Citicorp Chief Economist Willem Buiter recently issued a report concluding that six European countries are in or on the brink of insolvency -- i.e., at high risk of sovereign default. He summed up Ireland's plight by dismissing the EU bailout: "Accessing external sources of funds will not mark the end of Ireland's troubles. The reason is that, in our view, the consolidated Irish sovereign and Irish domestic financial system is de facto insolvent. The Irish sovereign cannot from its own resources 'bail out' the banks and make its own creditors whole."

Other analysts see a substantial risk of Ireland's de facto insolvency triggering a contagion that will spread to the other overindebted nations on Buiter's list: Portugal, Spain, Italy, Greece and Belgium.

From this perspective, the widely cheered EU bailouts will only delay Ireland's bankruptcy because they increase the nation's total debt burden while reducing its GDP and greatly adding to the cost of servicing those debts. In this scenario, interest as a percentage of GDP rises each year.

How Ireland Got in Such Dire Straits

How did Ireland, and indeed all the other global economies that are suffering from burst real estate bubbles, get into such a mess? I've prepared a chart to help explain the way in which cheap, easy-to-borrow money combines with rising asset prices and tax revenues to create a "virtuous cycle," in which higher property values leverage higher debts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭analucija

Yes...their investment can go up as well as down...You know that right?

Are you a banker? Do you sympathize with their plight? I know they have it tough what with us paying back ALL the money they should have lost>
    You can try to avoid the question as much as you want but you still didn't manage to answer where will we find the money for everyday funding.

BTW Argentina is often mentioned as an example. I know an elderly couple who were among upper middle class when crisis struck. Their savings and pensions were wiped out, his business was gone. They were actually lucky because his wife got small state pension as former a headmistress. They were borrowing from relatives and friends outside Argentina just to survive. I think Argentina can borrow money on international markets now but the crisis was in the early 2000s.

I would prefer to negotiate a little bit than bet everything on ridiculous idea that we will get all the money we need for public funding in the bond markets next year. While not doing anything to reduce budget deficit. Do you really think banks are the only problem?

Oh and I'm not a banker. In fact we have a nice big mortgage and both work in family business that is not doing well at all. I have no love lost for banks but I am also not stupid enough to think that we can just say bye bye to bank debts and everything will be ok.

You can try to avoid the question as much as you want but you still didn't manage to answer where will we find the money for everyday funding.

BTW Argentina is often mentioned as an example. I know an elderly couple who were among upper middle class when crisis struck. Their savings and pensions were wiped out, his business was gone. They were actually lucky because his wife got small state pension as former a headmistress. They were borrowing from relatives and friends outside Argentina just to survive. I think Argentina can borrow money on international markets now but the crisis was in the early 2000s.

I would prefer to negotiate a little bit than bet everything on ridiculous idea that we will get all the money we need for public funding in the bond markets next year. While not doing anything to reduce budget deficit. Do you really think banks are the only problem?

Here is an news item about the Greece bail out in 2010.. interesting reading.

The Greek rescue package will fail, according to Cristina Fernández, Argentina’s president, whose country suffered the world’s biggest debt default in 2001.

She said the bail-out repeated “the same recipes they applied to us, which provoked [what happened in] 2001”. Argentina, as an IMF member, voted for the Greek bail-out, but “critically”, Ms Fernández said, adding the enforced austerity will have “terrible consequences” on the economy.

“They are repeating prescriptions whereby what they are trying to do is rescue the financial system. We believe these policies are condemned to failure and that is why we don’t apply them in our country.”

In the 1990s, Argentina was a devotee of the pro-market Washington Consensus and pegged the peso to the dollar. But it racked up debt and its economy crashed. Argentina savagely devalued its currency and became a pariah on international financial markets.

The government has never forgiven the IMF for what it considers were reckless policy prescriptions. It paid off its $10bn debt to the lender in full in 2006 and still refuses to submit to IMF reviews of its accounts

Speaking at an event on Monday night to refinance debt for Argentina’s provinces, Ms Fernández defended the demand-driven economic model, which has delivered several years of high growth, championed by her husband, Néstor Kirchner, in his 2003-07 government and which she has continued since.

“Since 2003 we have been applying a totally different model that has permitteda very strong and very sustained reduction in the nation’s debt,” she said.

Ironically, Argentina is now seeking to issue new debt as part of a debt swap designed to mop up nearly $20bn unpaid since the 2001 default. The Greek rescue plan initially cheered markets, boosting Argentine bonds and giving a fillip to the swap prospects. But the uncertain outlook may well force Argentina to postpone the plans to raise $1bn in new money, which was to have been launched in tandem to the swap.

You didn't ask me that question. You'll note I answered all your questions??
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=70708951&postcount=169
    It seems you have yet to afford me the same luxury
    Concerning how we're going to pay for it is what we've been discussing for the whole thread??? We will have to default at sometime. You would rather we default in 15 years. I would rather we default now.

This article puts it more succinctly than I ever could

KIERAN1 wrote: »
    There is lot of evidence out there to support the Sinn Fein Stance.

There is absolutely no evidence out there to support the Sinn Fein stance. There may be some evidence to support individual parts of SFs stance (ie. defaulting on senior bondholder debt), but the whole thing is suiside.

Who says that unilaterally defaulting on senior bondholder debt which would lose us the support of the ECB for our other banks, thus destroying our entire banking system, is a good idea?

Who says rejecting the EU/IMF bailout money and trying to cover our €17bn budget deficit with our €4bn NPRF and then being forced to slash government spending by €13bn in one year is a good idea?

Who says defaulting on bondholder debt and then hoping that we are able to borrow on the bond markets again next year at a low interest, despite the fact that Iceland could not after defaulting on bank debt, is a good idea?

Who says reversing all budget cuts and scraping tax increases thereby increasing our budget deficit is a good idea?

Note; Pearse Doherty is not an acceptable answer to the above questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Dubol

Ok let me start by saying

I don't really care for politics at all. For me, politics attempts to answer the questions-How much will I get? How much will they lose? How much more will I get if they lose?
    This might strike you as being quite a cynical viewpoint! but more and more I find this viewpoint being vindicated everyday. The public/private rift. The constant maneuvering and re-drawing of battle-lines by the many varied interest groups-the Unions-the lobbyists-right down to the individual on Joe Duffy all asking the same question. How much will I get?

Of all the parties, Sinn Fein are the only ones that are truly answering these questions with logic. Be it from a logical, moral, philosophical, ideological, hypothetical, or even spiritual viewpoint. Sinn Fein are right about their answer to the question "How Much will they lose?"
    'They' will lose greatly....For 'they' are the bankers.....They can afford to lose. In fact capitalism says they should lose. If we pay these people €200,000,000,000 these people will never learn that when you invest, your investment can go up as well as down. The Irish people are all too aware that their investments can go up as well as down. But it seems like basic capitalism does not apply to the elite?

Words will fail us when our children ask us in years to come "Why in 2011 didn't Fine Gael have the balls to do what's right? Why did they continue to pay billions of our nations money to foreign Investors when we couldn't even afford to pay for ourselves. Why is our country so f***ed?"

I was going to vote for FG but I have read so much bitterness from another forum which is owned by a FG journalist and his group of friends that I have decided against it. I will be voting for LP/SF/indo. I never thought I would say this but I would rather vote for FF than FG. I like Enda Kenny but the insults and constant mud slinging of those FG party members have freightened me off.

There is absolutely no evidence out there to support the Sinn Fein stance.
    I don't think there's any evidence supporting any of the other parties points either?

There may be some evidence to support individual parts of SFs stance (ie. defaulting on senior bondholder debt), but the whole thing is suiside.

Exactly my point. They are not ignoring the very thing which should be at the very fore-front of everyone's mind this election. €200,000,000,000

How will we pay it?
    When [if ever] will we pay it?
    Who should pay it? Us OR them?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Euroland

OK, here just a few:

1) Default, the EU and what's next

Kevin O'Rourke, Constantin Gurdgiev, David McWilliams discuss.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YVPW9W-f8A

2) The People's Economy - Bank Debt vs Sovereign Debt: What's the difference?

Discussion by Kevin O'Rourke, Ronan Lyons, Constantin Gurdgiev & David McWilliams on the banking debt

3) NCB: The future for Irish bank senior bonds

http://www.ncbresearch.com/fixed_income/SeniorBondIssue.pdf

4) Goodbody: Irish Debt Dynamics

http://www.scribd.com/doc/48415937/Debt-Dynamics-Presentation

5) Ireland's new toxic loans will spark social conflict, says economist Morgan Kelly

Economist Morgan Kelly says the bank bailout for Allied Irish bank and Bank of Ireland will be worse than the government is admitting

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2010/nov/08/ireland-toxic-mortgages-country-ruin-economist

6) Brian Lucey: Time to persuade Europe debt write-down is needed:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opinion/2011/0215/1224289816780.html

7) Stiglitz Says Ireland Has Bleak Prospect of Cutting Deficit, Saving Banks:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-11-11/stiglitz-says-ireland-has-bleak-prospect-of-cutting-deficit-saving-banks.html
    http://www.bloomberg.com/video/64449376/

8) Nuriel Rubini: Euro zone will eventually be smaller

http://www.reuters.com/article/2010/11/23/europe-economy-roubini-idUSN2314604020101123

http://insider.thomsonreuters.com/link.html?cn=share&ctype=group_channel&chid=3&cid=165914&shareToken=MzpjN2JmZjAxMy0xMjZjLTRkNGQtODcxMC0wMGM1ZDJiN2YxNmQ=

Advertisement