Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rock Band 3 (Pre-Release)

Options
  • 09-03-2010 9:34pm
    Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭

Roadies and rockers, let the speculation begin!
    Shocking news from the music gaming front -- Rock Band 3 has been confirmed for a holiday 2010 release.

News comes by way Viacom CEO and President Philippe Dauman, and subsequently tweeted by Harmonix public relations master of disaster, John Drake.

"Also, it's going to be awesome," Drake followed up, "confirmed."

So there you have it. Details are unknown at this time, but we'd hope we'll start getting some info soon. For now, let us know your Rock Band 3 feature and song "do wants."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,201 ✭✭✭ongarite

Irrevelant news!!

The real MEGATON news;

Lady GaGA coming to Rock Bad DLC next week with 4 track pack and Eric Cartman version also.

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTI4NTA5MTcy.html

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

I knew about that, :mad:

BANNED FOR REMINDING ME OF RETARDED DLC :mad::(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Well call me a pessimist, here was me 60-70% we would not see RB3.

Makes you wonder what song's they have been holding out on not putting out as dlc to go into this.

The big thing will have to be import import import, they haven't put a foot wrong in that department so far, but at the same time I really dont wont to have to pay to import again form the disc based RB games, and we'll have green day before that comes out.

The harmonies from beatles are a given I'd say.

Harmonies are a "fo sho" at this stage, and I could see lego's "super easy" making it in too. As long as they give us the instruments, I'll lap it up. And hey, the forum might get a bit of traffic!

Ah we are well due new instruments at this stage.

Also the song select layout from the beatles that showed the stars beside the songs, and being albe to set it to show friends scores on the top right was nice. Love to see more stats like times played etc.

Chances of a beatles import? there was a code on the back of the manual.

• Advertisement

Times played would be brilliant, and if you could rate songs yourself, or perhaps a favourite system. I may have to murder everyone at HMX if they don't deliver my instruments though :mad:

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    I may have to murder everyone at HMX if they don't deliver my instruments though :mad:

I think I have enough :(

A070D0A1BBFE44C7B5CCF6768E0060A0-500.jpg

Your xplorer is WIN. That is an impressive array of instruments.

Another thing that came to me today while playing GH5 at a pals house, was the challenges section from RB2, I liked doing those but they were just setlists you could pause and come back to later. One of the pluses of GH5 was the challenges they added into the songs in career, like hit a 500ns on bass or hit 90% of the notes of a solo. It also had the consequence of making you play on every instrument, which was a nice touch I thought.

Something like that could be really fun, as I said before I liked the achievements in the Beatles and expanding on those with a new overhauled challenges section in RB3 would be really good I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Agreed - got GH5 during the week, only played a couple of songs but one of the first guitar challenges is to whammy your way through a cold play song. They actually made a cold play song interesting! With familiar roundy notes, song imports from earlier GHs, roady Battles, SDHC support and the ability to sing along to Sweating Bullets, it's almost in the hallowed realms of Awesome Deluxe-ness. If it wasn't for the piss poor character creation and woefully inadequate DLC I'd be selling RB2.
    This poorly disguised plug for Guitar Hero 5 was payed for by the Friends of Vicarious Visions Trust.

• Advertisement

From the green day demo , look closely before reading spoiler and see if you get it
    could there be a keyboard in RB3

RB3-e1274793615727.jpeg

IMO, the last thing the music genre is more plastic instruments to try and get the consumer to buy.
    DJ Hero failed because it required a new peripheral and this will do the same for RB3.

Anyway where on the in-game UI will they fit the keyboard highway?
    Will it be a 5-key keyboard for one octave or 10 keys for 2 octaves?

The screenshot gives the assumption that you can play 5 instruments at the same time. I can't see anyway to fit that in on the current highway and be anyway readable, let alone playable.

Another thing, is the 360 only supports 4 controllers (instruments) at a time.

True, but the Keyboard could function as the fourth controller to be used with the mic perhaps? Either way, I'm super hyped for this.

Think about it, at this stage only the hardcore are going to still care about this. The fad people have moved on to other games. So, they want to give the fans a new challenge. It should also be noted that this isn't new at all. There was a piano arcade game, and I'm pretty sure there was a home port

As for how many buttons, I'm going to guess 5, although 10 would be great, or even as above for a real challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭rizzla

I hope it's one of these

keytar-detail-1.jpg

Oh god yes! That would be epic.

I used have this tiny yamaha keyboard about 12 inches long I got off santy one year, actually I still have it :eek: it would be quite cool if they threw in some keys.

How it would work though ? 5 buttons for each hand? and use something like scrolling vocals?

Thing is though it would HAVE to work !!!!!!! other wise for me it's a gimic, and another peripheral I don't want or need.

They need to make sure vocal harmonies can be done online too!!!!!!!! there a several achievements I can never get in Beatles because of that fact!!!!!!!

Oh, there was a section on the RB site last week where you could post questions for the developers of RB3 must see if I can find it, they promised ot at least give some details away.

I didn't realise you can't do harmonies online. I never tried like, but I don't see the problem! :confused:

Problem is self consciousness :o / finding 3 people who want to sing, much easier when no one can hear you sound like a bag of drowning kittens :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭grimm2005

hmmm, can't say i'd be a fan of introducing a keyboard, too many plastic instruments as it is. I'd rather they stick with what they have and improve upon it, just seems a bit gimmiky to me. Also, the B:RB harmonies are pretty much guaranteed as you can see three mics in that pic

I'd be delighted with a new instrument to master personally. Calling it gimmicky is a bit silly, because the whole genre is based around gimmicks :D

• Advertisement

I can't wait for the keyboard. I usually play with friends and we're all fairly into it. We're always talking about how they should add the keyboard.
    Means they can add more songs tbh.
    I'd love to see some New Order or something in one of these games, although I'm not holding out too much hope.

First Rock Band 3 info from USA Today. RB3 is going hardcore with 3 new instruments; a 25-key keyboard and 2 "real" plastic guitars.
    "We are adding a new instrument (a 25-key, fully functioning MIDI keyboard) and we're adding a whole new mode, which is designed basically to answer that staleness factor."

The result, he says, is "an experience that is both accessible to players who are just getting into this thing, and builds something for the hard-core player who is maybe a little bored with where music games are."

Sussman and several key members of the Rock Band team (Harmonix senior designers Sylvain Dubrofsky and Dan Teasdale, and public relations gurus John Drake of Harmonix and Jeff Castaneda of MTV Games; you can see them all playing the game in the accompanying video) recently demonstrated Rock Band 3 for USA TODAY's Game Hunters and offered a test drive of the new keyboard controller, as well as the game's new authentic Pro mode aimed at helping players develop skills usable on real instruments.

"Everybody who wants to keep playing on the instruments they already have, we have enhanced new features and new gameplay for you," Dubrofsky says. "It's up to you to decide where you take this."

More on the advances for Rock Band 3 (due for the holidays for PS3, Xbox 360, Wii and Nintendo DS):

Better story. Design your own characters and session musicians from improved character models and watch their story unfold throughout the game. Your band members are seen getting into the van to go to a show, and practicing as well as performing. They even appear as you choose songs to play. "It is a really cool way to make sure you are always in the narrative no matter which mode you are in," Teasdale says. "The entire game is essentially one story of your band."

Everything you do earns achievements in the goal-based career mode. "Previously our career modes weren't really about getting better as a Rock Band player, it was about investing time," Teasdale says. "We developed this entirely new career mode based around unlocking achievement-like goals to show your progression through the game, and also give you incentives to get better.

"We have hundreds and hundreds of these goals across instruments and gameplay modes and across (downloadable content). It is a really great way to finish Rock Band in your way, based on your skill, and not on some predetermined path of songs."

•More fluid gameplay. Players can jump in or out of songs without interrupting a song already in progress. They can also change instruments or difficulty settings during a song without pausing. "It's a really cool way to get rid of that friction that players have when they are in a party situation," Teasdale says.

Another party-friendly mode, "road challenges," is described by Teasdale as "taking Rock Band 1 and 2's band world tour (mode) and merging it with Mario Party. We tried to find a way to get the core experience people had playing the band world tour and the things they really enjoyed, like getting the van or getting random set lists, and putting that into a setting that you can finish in an evening instead of a week. So now we have all these tours which are actually you going on a tour of the East Coast or touring across the world, and you are finishing that in three hours or whatever time you think you have to play."

Revamped song-filtering system. With the Rock Band library expected to grow to about 2,000 songs by year's end, it has grown too big for simply scrolling. With the new system, "you can say, 'only show me songs in Rock Band 3' or 'only songs under three minutes' or 'Eighties metal songs from my (downloadable) collection,' " Teasdale says. "It's a really cool way to take your full library down to a manageable list of songs."

Not to be forgotten, the keyboards' addition — along with carrying over the three-part harmonies from The Beatles: Rock Band and new Green Day: Rock Band games — means that "you can play as a seven -player band," Teasdale says, "which is an amazing experience."

Rock Band Pro. This new music learning mode lets players develop real-world music-playing fundamentals for keyboards, guitars and drums. More realistic music notations replace the standard color-coded notes during gameplay. For guitar, numbers flow down the screen along six guitar strings, telling you where to place your hands on the neck and when to strum.

Two new guitar controllers in the works have actual strings where you strum; one is a full-sized, fully functional six-string Squier Stratocaster from Fender. "It can tell where your fingers are based on technology in the neck and the bridge of the guitar. No buttons," Drake says. "While you're playing it, it feels exactly like playing a real guitar," because that's what you're doing.

The other is a Fender Mustang Pro controller from accessory maker Mad Catz with a field of buttons in each fret. As your fingers compress the smaller non-colored buttons on that guitar's neck, your finger positions are represented in the game's display. "You can go from plucking single notes to power chords and bar chords, we have crazy stuff like tapping and slides," Dubrofsky says. "If you ever had any aspirations of connecting with the music in a deeper way ... you are really going to like Rock Band 3."

For drums, three new cymbals are added to the standard four drum pads, and you are forced to play the correct cymbal at the right time. "It really immerses you more. You feel more like a drummer," Dubrofsky says. "It's not only for expert levels. You can come in on easy and actually play Pro drums. We have all the different levels established. It's actually really fun. You are playing up on the high hat or down on the snare, and it feels more like a kit than ever before."

On keyboards, Sussman says, "we're actually utilizing the full two-octave range that the keyboard controller has. Everything that you are playing, whether you are playing on easy or expert, is accurate musical information. The track looks like a real keyboard track, and you are playing notes on the keyboard that if you were to step away from the game and were to play on a real piano, they would be the right notes."

Pro players can use the mode for private practice or incorporate it while others play the game's standard arcade modes. "You can be an expert keys-player playing with an all easy band, no problem," Drake says.
    Among the 83 new songs to be included, Rigopulos says, "it's hard to pick a favourite, but for The Doors to be making an appearance on Rock Band finally with their classic Break On Through, I love that one. And Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody is endlessly fun."

The success of Rock Band and follow-up Rock Band 2 propelled sales of music games to more than $1.6 billion in 2008 — with the help of competing Guitar Hero titles. Despite a wide variety of new games in 2009 including The Beatles: Rock Band and DJ Hero, annual sales fell by nearly 50%.

That slide inspired the Rock Band 3 development team to try to recapture the fun "that really started this whole phenomenon in the first place," says project director Daniel Sussman.

During the game, green, red, blue, yellow or orange keys flow on a "stream" representing the notes to be played on five corresponding keyboard keys. In a new authentic Pro mode meant to help players segue to actual instruments, all 25 keys are used; the streams shifts left and right to cover the correct keys. The keyboard also works as a MIDI keyboard that can be connected to a computer. "This is a real instrument and a real device," says senior designer Sylvain Dubrofsky.

In addition to the new keyboard controller, also due for the game's release are two advanced guitar controllers that take advantage of the Pro mode, one a full-sized, fully functional Fender guitar (all sold separately, no prices yet).

Other Rock Band 3 advances: improved animations, refined gameplay features — players can drop in and out of games, or change instruments and difficulty settings without stopping songs — and a easier-to-use song menu.

"Our ambition for Rock Band 3 was really to re-energize and reinvigorate the (music game) category and advance it and move it forward," Rigopulos says.

Confirmed songs so far are:
    2000s
    Combat Baby -- Metric
    Dead End Friends -- Them Crooked Vultures
    Get Free -- The Vines
    Lasso -- Phoenix
    Me Enamora -- Juanes
    Oh My God -- Ida Maria
    Portions of Foxes -- Rilo Kiley
    The Hardest Button to Button -- The White Stripes

1990s
    Been Caught Stealing -- Jane's Addiction
    In the Meantime -- Spacehog
    Plush -- Stone Temple Pilots
    Walkin' on the Sun -- Smash Mouth

1980s
    Crazy Train -- Ozzy Osbourne
    Here I Go Again -- Whitesnake
    I Love Rock and Roll -- Joan Jett
    Just Like Heaven -- The Cure
    Rainbow in the Dark -- Dio
    The Power of Love -- Huey Lewis and the News
    Sister Christian -- Night Ranger

1960s-1970s
    Bohemian Rhapsody -- Queen
    Break On Through -- The Doors
    Crosstown Traffic -- Jimi Hendrix
    rockband3x-large.jpg

rockband30610x-large.jpg

The gem-like fret in the middle highway is for the cymbals for the drums.

First video & Harmonix introducing the game:
    http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid42806360001?bctid=90946364001

• Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

In the battle of the song lists (GH6 vs. RB3), RB3 wins easily.
    The keyboard is a huge draw for me, can't wait to try it out.

:eek: Epic news

Never thought I'd ever being saying this but some of those songs are in GH already :D but a thumbs up from me, they always seem to get the balance between classics and modern songs right and don't rely heavily on metal tracks nobody but the die hards on the RB forums moan for.

Some of the features mentioned are in GH already, but with hmx implementing them it's a win, hopefully the feature that allows someone to quit during a some is for online play too!!!!!!!!

My gimmick theory about the keyboard is out the window, thats now officially win also.

The 'pro' mode mentioned has me intrigued also. real strings ????????? This has me thinking big time, that it really just a fender squire with a midi port! If you already have a guitar with a midi connection / pedal could it be used???? I bet it can be ;) / exit dream mode

My biggest concern with this will be the € needed to buy a new set of instruments, I predict we will be seeing more different bundles than there were versions of windows 7 ;) like game only , game + keyboard , full band set, full band set with posh pro guitar + amp. I think this feature is an EPIC win for drummers mainly.

I get the feeling all the old stuff songs and instruments will be compatible though. Edit: they actually say it all will be in the video :)

Now I need to go and clean up from soiling myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

I honestly thought the keyboard would be pretty gimmicky as well but I'm really intrigued by it after seeing the preview. I'm tempted by the sound of the 'pro' guitars but what is the likelihood that we'll actually see them in the shops over here? We never even got the RB2 instruments except re-branded as part of the Beatles kits. Plus there's the fact that I already own 3 guitar controllers, my sitting room/wallet might not be able to stretch that far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

Bohemian Rhapsody is both RB3 and GH6...sweet. Means I'll just be getting RB3! And Huey Lewis and the News, hello Back to the Future!

The keyboard idea is great, but Pro mode is where it's at. It has a very real chance of getting people started on learning an instrument, as opposed to just inspiring them.

Mr. K wrote: »
    And Huey Lewis and the News, hello Back to the Future!

That was the 1st thing I thought of too when I saw it :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Rilo Kiley?! Sold and sold.

I really do love Harmonix. A keyboard could have been a pointless addition, but man that looks like a nice piece of kit. The more I think about it, the more yet another plastic controller seems entirely necessary. Bohemian Rhapsody / Break on Through (want Light My Fire!) is a good start, but I'm even more excited about the possibilities for more piano / keyboard led songs (Ben Folds please please please!). The pro mode sounds fun too, will wait and see prices for the new guitars but proves that Harmonix are definitely trying to get more people actually playing music as well as providing a fun game.

Excitement :)

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Banjo Fella

The idea of Pro Mode is absolutely amazing. They're turning Rock Band into a wonderful learning tool, as well as a game... that's just such a brilliant move. I've always loved Rock Band, but there were points when I felt ashamed with my obsession because it's kind of a pointless skill to have! This helps jaded players enjoy the game in a completely different and much more real way, which is awesome! And I'm so excited about that MIDI keyboard!

Looks like I'll be shelling out for some more plastic instruments, then. :p

• Advertisement

No interest in the Pro Mode for me, some interest in the keyboard, keytar.

Its a game to me and some great fun not a training simulator. If I wanted to play a "real" guitar and like a "real guitar", I would buy one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement