Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M6 - Ballinasloe to Galway

Options
1242526272830»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 wackjob

kiwipower wrote: »
    I also go through bulbs like no bodies business!

Another one just went today!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,936 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Was anyone else here handed a print out of The Rules of The Road when they were paying the toll?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

flazio wrote: »
    Was anyone else here handed a print out of The Rules of The Road when they were paying the toll?

No, just you. They must have been keeping an eye on you.....:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

flazio wrote: »

Are they really doing that? It's strange - between this and the matrix signs explaining about driving on the left it's almost as if they think Connacht drivers incapable of using real roads. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭crapmanjoe

mackerski wrote: »
    Are they really doing that? It's strange - between this and the matrix signs explaining about driving on the left it's almost as if they think Connacht drivers incapable of using real roads. ;)

Its probably a fair guess that alot of people in Connacht would have never driven on a motorway before!

I noticed myself when driving on the road for the first time yesterday morning that the standard of driving was alot poorer than on the M4 motorway part - people seemed to think its quite fine to chug along at 80k on the outside lane of the motorway :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,823 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Folks -

What's the condition of the road with this weather ?

I'll have to travel it late tonight,also anyone on the N65 Portumna lately ?

Thanks

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭prunudo

The rules of the road state you can overtake on the left if the traffic in the right hand lane is moving slower. Now I dont know what a garda would say but surely if you are sticking to the speed limit then it shouldn't be an issue.
    Although when I do this I am very weary of the other car cutting in on me as I pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

jvan wrote: »
    The rules of the road state you can overtake on the left if the traffic in the right hand lane is moving slower. Now I dont know what a garda would say but surely if you are sticking to the speed limit then it shouldn't be an issue.
    Although when I do this I am very weary of the other car cutting in on me as I pass.

I think you should read them again if that's your conclusion. You missed an important aspect of the piece you've paraphrased.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,546 ✭✭✭veryangryman

mackerski wrote: »
    I think you should read them again if that's your conclusion. You missed an important aspect of the piece you've paraphrased.

Just to fill in the gaps, nobody checks their left mirror when driving fast, so if the gimp in the right lane decides to change lanes, he could collide with someone overtaking in the left. Also the rules state that you can do it in "busy, slow traffic". Long story short, the m50 before toll barriers were lifted would have been a good candiate for this slow moving traffic

Its wrong to do it on inter-urbans and sometimes you feel like bounty hunters should be hired to stop the practice. Its actually baffling that the safety of these roads should be compramised by people who practice this bullsh1t driving.

In fact, the guys giving the test should ask the person, when can you drive on the right. If the answer is anything other than "only when overtaking", then send the dope on his or her way. And no, they cant use the "being from Connacht and being thick" excuse

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Lads, this is getting way off topic. Can we get back to discussing the scheme? Discussing driving behaviour can be done over on the motors forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Drove down yesterday with the family. I'm very impressed by the state of the scheme especially in comparison to the Athlone-Ballinasloe section, it's good to see the return of the SOS phones. Anyone have any idea if there are any plans to retrofit these on the previously opened sections of the M6? (I'm assuming there isn't). Also regarding the entrances for emergency vehicles are these for a parrellel route for such vehicles or do they link into the local road system?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭746watts

dubhthach wrote: »
    Also regarding the entrances for emergency vehicles are these for a parrellel route for such vehicles or do they link into the local road system?

They link into local roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Dubhthach, there are now emergency phones on all sections of the M6, apart from Athlone-Ballinasloe. N6 Athlone Bypass does not have emergency phones either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I drove down to Loughrea from Dublin on the 23rd, then into Galway and back on Christmas Eve and back East on St. Stephen's Day.

It was dark heading down but I thought the new road was very smooth.

The speed limits either side of the tollpike are set much further away than other schemes. The limit drops to 80 about 150m before the toll 1km ahead sign, and then drops to 50 before the plaza widens out.

As has been mentioned the layby before the N65(Loughrea) junction is right at the advance signage for the junction. This is symmetrical, as heading east there is a layby at the signage fro the same junction. This is probably a screw up. on the continent these'd be on the more sensible side, i.e. after the junction.

The new N65 has a few bends at the start and then is fairly straight. There are 2 staggered junctions before the loughrea bypass. These are signed for the local townlands, several of the people in Loughrea hadn't ever heard of them, but they are linking very minor roads, Boreens really. This section has a hard shoulder all the way, barring acceleration/deceleration lanes at the junctions.

Approaching the rab on the Loughrea bypass is a little wierd at first, the exits are all on the diagonal from the new N65 section and signed Bullaun, Portumna, Loughrea, Gort.
    Portumna direction is signed N65, Gort direction is signed N66.
    The Gort exit off the rab is signed for Gort and Kilcreest, nary a sign for Craughwell, which is wierd. Kilcreest is smaller than Kilrickle.
    It's far quicker for traffic to go through the centre of Loughrea, than take the N66 route, which goes to the west end of the Loughrea bypass, back east to the town and then out by the lake towards Gort again. There is a plan to extend the loughrea bypass from it's west end to across to the existing N66. This will be faster alright.

Heading to Galway on Christmas Eve, the road was fine, even though the temp was -7, there was no worries with traction as the dry cold left most of the salt doing it's thing.
    The signage before the N18 junction is wrong, it's green before the motorway ends. And the signage approaching the Douiskea rab is misleading. It shows two lanes, one for the rab and one for the slip left. but the 2 mainline lanes go to the rab and a slip lane goes left, needing an unexpected lane change, and a short enough merge onto the old DC heading to the Galway clinic rab.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Aidan1

Have driven this road a few times now - for the most part it's excellent, but there are a small number of places where the surface is less than ideal. There's a stretch in the driving lane just after the scheme commences heading west where there's a distinct ridge about 1-1.5m in from the yellow lines for a bit. It almost looks like the surface is lifting. Then again, run flats tend to amplify everything, so I'm probably overstating it.

The improvement to journey times and safety are incredible. I started to drive to Galway less than 10 years ago, and it took over 3.5hours pretty much all the time. Now it is an easy cruise that takes 2 hours (door to door in my case). It's good to see the emergency access provisions too - there are long sections between junctions on this scheme.

Oh, and Roryhy, please read the rules of the road. In this country we drive on the left and overtake on the right.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭justindublin

Anyone on here know the travel time from Dublin M50 to Galway CC since this opened?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

tech2 wrote: »
    Lads, this is getting way off topic. Can we get back to discussing the scheme? Discussing driving behaviour can be done over on the motors forum.

I'm going to re-iterate this.

Please take the (admittedly interesting) driving habits discussion elsewhere otherwise I'll just start deleting posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭DanielI

I propose to close this thread and move further posts to the "Completed Sections" thread. The M6 - Ballinasloe - Galway Section is completed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

I'm locking the thread for now, I will open it again for any photo uploads or reviews of the scheme when requested.

I moved some of the posts to the M6 Motorway (for discussing COMPLETED sections)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭oddiot

I took a few pics heading westbound last week when I was a passenger, full list of images available at:
    http://pix.ie/oddiot/album/361255

It's a fantastic scheme, and M50 to the end of the scheme is a nice sub 2-hour journey.

Some of the interesting shots are:

Damaged metal barrier between Athlone and Balinasloe.
    5BCEEF51BE6C468382C34AFDDD10DC94-500.jpg

End of metal barrier and tie in with jersey barrier for Balinasloe to Galway section:
    F7BF98D273EE40B2810A672E8E8363C1-500.jpg

Typical route confirmation sign:
    9D3DF4DA3AE64A7B968D00D1640AAFBD-500.jpg

Cool rock formation:
    D71CE1BF6C784B00BE36275CA0489D25-500.jpg

Wide view at Athenry exit, Athenry is just to the right of this photo:
    47E6331010E64FFBA70E63F0C4F21589-500.jpg

Very wide hard shoulder between J17 and J19. Could this be where J18 will be constructed in the future?
    15FB9078B61740BA8BB56B0B46E26496-500.jpg

Approaching end of motorway regulations at J19:
    E30C0ABFFAFB4C6290BD32953BDE317E-500.jpg

Approaching Coolagh roundabout, end of scheme at J20:
    F488216C3E0340768702BDC1E8658075-500.jpg

Got a few pictures yesterday (Sunday). Was a pretty dull day and, typically, the only 10 mins of sleet Galway got all day was the 10 mins I was on the M6! Quality isn't brilliant; I'll have to get some proper photos on a dry, sunny and frost/snow-free day sometime.

Click thumnails for full size images.

Heading East from Doughiska to Athenry.

Doughiska:
    th_P1010978.jpg th_P1010980.jpg

Rock cutting near Doughiska:
    th_P1010981.jpg th_P1010982.jpg

Signage approaching Junction 19/start of motorway:
    th_P1010983.jpg th_P1010984.jpg

Getting nearer J19:
    th_P1010985.jpg th_P1010987.jpg

At Junction 19/start of motorway:
    th_P1010988.jpg th_P1010992.jpg

Ice warning VMS and SOS phone + destination signage:
    th_P1010993.jpg th_P1010994.jpg

Wide median section + wide bridge over wide median section:
    th_P1010996.jpg th_P1010998.jpg

Heading East:
    th_P1010999.jpg

And some more heading East.

Approaching Junction 18 (Athenry):
    th_P1020002.jpg th_P1020003.jpg

Approaching Junction 18 (Athenry):
    th_P1020004.jpg th_P1020006.jpg

End of Motorway at Athenry:
    th_P1020007.jpg

Heading West towards Galway City at night. Pretty poor pictures but I'll post anyway.

First photo doesn't really do the Cat's Eyes justice. Trust me, it's like being on a runway. Second photo shows signage; a bit blurry but you van see how well dipped headlights illuminate the sign.
    th_P1020035.jpg th_P1020036.jpg

Approaching Doughiska. Second photo is quite blurry, sorry!
    th_P1020039.jpg th_P1020040.jpg

At Doughiska:
    th_P1020042.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement