Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hector & Tommy's Craic House

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Black Magic

RTÉ must be kicking themselves, regretting the day when they rejected the Father Ted proposal. They had first refusal.

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭builttospill

RTÉ must be kicking themselves, regretting the day when they rejected the Father Ted proposal. They had first refusal. Dunno' what is going on with that shower in Montrose. And I have to say, this years Christmas Telly that they broadcast was complete ****e. A double episode of The Simpsons on Christmas Day? Wtf?

For the last time-RTE didn't reject Father Ted. It was never offered to them. Linehen and Matthews went straight to Channel 4 with it. I reckon this fact must be pointed out at least once a week on Boards.

And yes, Craic House was total garbage. RTE are clowns. Incompetent clowns.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

RTE are clowns. Incompetent clowns.

They took a man whose skill is current affairs and made him interview micro celebrities for 10 years. They also paid him almost a million quid a year for this. Im inclined to agree!

Agricola wrote: »
    They took a man whose skill is current affairs and made him interview micro celebrities for 10 years. They also paid him almost a million quid a year for this. Im inclined to agree!

...and they let Gay Byrne talk about God!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

...and they let Gay Byrne talk about think he was God!

fixed that for ya!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,291 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Lefournier wrote: »
    No, I don't give RTE any credit for its comedy efforts. Their record of unremitting failure must point to an organisational problem, not your conclusion that Irish comedians are useless.

I never said they were useless, just that they're not good with TV shows. There's plenty of good Irish comedians out there, but RTE have shown that this doesn't automatically translate to a good TV show.

Over the last year or two, people have kept saying to me that Tommy/Hector show was great live, and they had a great radio show, why can't they have a TV show.

So at least RTE are giving these shows short runs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Lefournier

I never said they were useless, just that they're not good with TV shows.
    An interesting distinction which was not evident from your earlier posting. I was making a different point - that comedians will fail on TV unless they are supported i.e. RTE must pay a team of writers.
    Over the last year or two, people have kept saying to me that Tommy/Hector show was great live, and they had a great radio show, why can't they have a TV show.

It's a mystery to me why TT is the most popular comedian in the country but there is an immense difference between getting laughs from a crowd who are up for the craic having downed numerous pints and making a funny TV show.

I dread the thought of their national radio show but I can imagine they might be fun as DJs for a local station and it might transfer to 2FM if they stick to music/ light banter and keep TT away from anything serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Antbert

Lefournier wrote: »
    ... keep TT away from anything serious.
    But his offensive nature is the best thing about him! As a comedian I only find him funny for short amounts of time, then it all gets too shouty. But I do love how angry he makes people.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

I still think yer blonde wan spinning on that wheel had a "desperado/famewhore" look about her, like she was tryna get noticed and get some "deals" or shoots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

You've got to give it to RTE for at least trying these guys out with short runs and giving them a chance.

Yes, and you hand it to them in the form of 160 euro each year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

I managed to get free audience tickets as a result of a thread in the galway city board, and the reason we were clapping so much was pretty much cos there was an "applause man" up the front cueing is when to laugh etc :/ very staged....they edited it down from a 2 hour show to 1 hour..they cut the few funny bits that there actually was!!

I thought twas painful to watch on tv..ugh

In fairness, there's an applause man on every audience show on RTE. Late Late, Questions and Answers etc.

And all comedy shows film for hours and cut out the ****ee.

D.O Briain's show in England, Mock the week, film 2 and half hours for a half hour's material.

It's standard practice.

kraggy wrote: »
    In fairness, there's an applause man on every audience show on RTE. Late Late, Questions and Answers etc.

And all comedy shows film for hours and cut out the ****ee.

D.O Briain's show in England, Mock the week, film 2 and half hours for a half hour's material.

It's standard practice.

Agreed.........still a poor show and no excuse for that awful editing.:eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Antbert wrote: »
    But his offensive nature is the best thing about him! As a comedian I only find him funny for short amounts of time, then it all gets too shouty. But I do love how angry he makes people.

Angry. Yes, that's exactly how I want to be after I watch comedy.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Very very poor. Some people collaborate to get a superior result but the opposite happened here. The cutscenes with the lads free wheeling about music, school etc were the low point for me. It was badly edited but imagine being the editor trying to pick an hours worth of material out of that shambles.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Antbert

amdublin wrote: »
    Angry. Yes, that's exactly how I want to be after I watch comedy.

:confused:
    I should've clarified. How angry he makes other people.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Antbert wrote: »
    I should've clarified. How angry he makes other people.

I think he makes a lot of people angry.

He certainly isn't making many laugh these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Reginald P. DuM

Watched it on the RTE player, 52 mins I will never get back. Only redeeming factors were Maria D Kennedy singing and Kevin Myers. You could nearly count the words Myers spoke in total, because of Tiernan hijacking the piece. As if Tiernan could ever have anything more interesting to say than him. As for their old class mates and Paul Galvin, dull aint the word.

These boys have their own radio show on RTE in the new year, so this gives us a clear indicator to avoid like the plague. Maybe it performed some worthwhile function after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Kevin Myers.

That bad.

Just when I thought we had escaped the craic house, Martina Devlin drags us back in with a weird commentary in today's Indo.
    All hail Tommy Tiernan, comedian with a philosopher's instincts.

Martina was impressed by TT's brainrot with K Myers
    There is more to being Irish than money. We are trees, we are rivers, we are the breeze.

TT made a similar comment in the infamous Electric Picnic gig. His case was that Brian Cowen thinks Ireland is nothing more than an economy. TT based this claim on a comment by Cowen at that Farmleigh thingy that Ireland is a "brand" . Anyone who paid attention to Cowen's remarks would know he talking about the prospects for economic growth though marketing Ireland abroad. If that Farmleigh event proved anything, it was the importance of our cultural life.

(Of course, TT was outraged when his anti-semitic comments was "taken out of context"):cool:

Incredibly, TT's craic house nonsense is not just a quirky way for Devlin to get into a broader theme. It is the meat of her column.:eek:

How does the Indo print this stuff ? (I know, Sindo will print anything but this is Thursday). Partly, it is the classic journo dilemma in the festive season - column inches to fill v. glasses to empty.

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/martina-devlin/martina-devlin-cowen-is-not-the-maverick-we-need-for-difficult-times-1994764.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭An tSaoi

Jip wrote: »
    people still believe rte were offered Father Ted ???

I agree; it's amazing that old chestnut still does the rounds. I thought it had been thoroughly disproven enough times by now.
    Agricola wrote: »

And they let a dull financial expert host a comedy panel show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭el diablo

Jaysus, it's on again tonight. A repeat I assume? I used to think TT was ok but have lost all respect for him when I heard that Hector O'Huoihanihaieain was his best buddy. :rolleyes:

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

I watched for about 10 mins the first time it was on as I was eating my dinner.

Twas ****e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 SeymourHersh

'Wierd commentary' is just about all the Indo does these days.

They had a go at the Vincent de Paul two weeks before Christmas for bailing out 'workshy scum.' :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

Its not very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭el diablo

Its not very good.
    It's horseshít. Them presenters are wrecking me buzz. :rolleyes:

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

a repeat of a show talking about farting on your homework.. brilliant RTE.. Cant believe that they are repeating this on New Year's Day..

Who gives a fk about his classmates, all these in jokes that nobody has any interest in. Ridiculous.

Switch to Channel 4

Feck RTÉ

TV reviewer in today'sTurbine has it right - "write some scripts, you lazy feckers", Front page coverage won't be welcome to the two lads.

http://www.tribune.ie/article/2010/jan/03/television-critic-patrick-freyne-the-chaise-longue/?q=hector

Vote on Tiernan's antics here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=63767252#post63767252

Incidentally, did anyone count the length of this show's credits. There must be 50 people who "worked" on this mess!

Liam Fay today in the Sunday Times SLATED it too, and rightly so.
    He calls their performance as "geriatric juvenilia", and that their "horsing around is their stock in trade but theres a wheeziness about their playing acting that reeks of knackers yard"

.......LOL, I could'nt have put it better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭blond45

was so disapointed when i went out of my way to watch it. thought thank god theres somthing good at last on rte. but for bleep sake it was a tank load of crap. dont like hector that much but tommy is grand. very disapointed:(:(:(:(:(:(

Advertisement