Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Dude"

Options
  • 12-02-2008 7:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭

I'm sick of people on boards using "dude" in their posts. Somebody will say something and somebody else will reply by saying: "Dude your completely wrong" or "Dude we heard that last week". Is this a new phenomenon? Do the Dudesters use this word in real life? Has the Southern Californication of Ireland finally been completed? I'm sure the next few posts will start with "Dude".

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Neo#

Chill out man! That just aint cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

God I know lots of people who say this IRL. Think it started out as a tongue in cheek thing but now it's a habit. I find it a little cringey sometimes but hey, I use ridiculous phrases too so who am I to judge?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Nothing wrong with 'dude', it stems from the use of the word by cowboys.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Srsly.

Dude. Srsly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭AlphaMale 3OO

Silverfish wrote: »
    Srsly.

Dude. Srsly.

Exactly!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

I also hate when people say 'mate'

• Registered Users Posts: 34 bohsmug

dude! calm down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

have to admit I use dude a lot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

I generally say dude out of habit, don't think I use it in my writing (or typing). I don't see the problem with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Neo#

What would be a good greeting term? I tend to use man a lot. I hate when people say mate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I remember "dude" becoming popular in the late 80s/early 90s - around the time of Bill & Ted, Wayne's World, "grunge", Beavis & Butthead etc. It's not a new thing.
    I say it alot. I don't like the "k" thing in text though: "K I was in a restaurant in Stephen's Green and guess who I bumped into?" etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

We cant forget the "Dude" himself.

profiledudejo9.th.jpg

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Willstev wrote: »
    We cant forget the "Dude" himself.

profiledudejo9.th.jpg

"His Dudeness, duder, or el duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."

Just watched that last night, brilliant film.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I'll replace it with "à fhear" if you like.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I have a housemate that poeple always thing is like the dude. :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

MooseJam wrote: »

I am now sick of hearing the word dude. How many times is dude said in that film?

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭A.Partridge

Have to agree that hearing Irish people use the word 'dude' is about as naff as hearing someone say 'groovy' or 'cool man'.:rolleyes:

The word first came to prominence (not general use) as far back as the early 70's when Scooby Doo was beamed into our homes and the veritable Shaggy used it in almost every other sentence.

For those of you who may not remember the original catoon see the attached link:

http://www.metroactive.com/papers/sonoma/08.14.97/scoobie-9733.html

Other than Shaggy I think that the only acceptable use of the word dude must be from the Big Lebowski...where 'dudism' reigned supreme.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

I dont say it at all, a few of my friends say it, but if I say it I just think it sounds slightly forced. I say man a good bit though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Most of the time I use it, it's in an ironic manner.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 cochese

i use dude quite a bit, generally when walking past dudes at work, used to be howsagoin, and the dude would say howsagoin back, with no response from either parties. I used to use dudette for the ladies, but did'nt go down too well. looking at dudess's name, sounds better, like godess, so i may start using that.

I am now sick of hearing the word dude. How many times is dude said in that film?

a lot ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/08/nyregion/08irish.html?_r=1&em&ex=1194757200&en=ac886d77559f0709&ei=5087%0A&st=cse&sq=Slang+Ireland&scp=1&oref=slogin

“Even the word ‘dude’ comes from the Irish word ‘dúid,’ or a foolish-looking fellow, a dolt,” Mr. Cassidy said. “They called the guys dudes who came down to the Five Points section of Manhattan to chase the colleens.”

Take a look at the link above for more info

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Dude, I live in California. What would you expect me to say?

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

greglo23 wrote: »
    http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/08/nyregion/08irish.html?_r=1&em&ex=1194757200&en=ac886d77559f0709&ei=5087%0A&st=cse&sq=Slang+Ireland&scp=1&oref=slogin

“Even the word ‘dude’ comes from the Irish word ‘dúid,’ or a foolish-looking fellow, a dolt,” Mr. Cassidy said. “They called the guys dudes who came down to the Five Points section of Manhattan to chase the colleens.”

Take a look at the link above for more info

dude is a term for an unexperienced person going along on a hunt

2nd one down

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Jonnykitedude

I use Dude all the time check my profiler:D:D:D

I mostly use dude when im with my fellow kitesurfers or snowboarding friends

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

sweeeet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

What?

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Jonnykitedude

What?

Hey im stoked now that the DUDE is here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Ah there's nothing wrong with dude, tis a great word. Now like, there's a word that is annoying when overused. Especially when people actually put it into posts; "and I though that was very insulting, like." :mad:

Advertisement