Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SPOILERS: We're Alive Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

NEW

EPISODE

DAY

• Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭DakotaYoda

...hates the waiting on a monday morning... :mad::mad::mad:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Where is it?! :( :mad:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Wait no, it's up now! :)

30 min episode.

Poor episode imho. This season seems to have a hell of a lot of filler.

We discovered nothing new, and pretty much went over old ground again just to confirm what most already suspected about Kalani.

We are getting nothing new at the army base, nothing new on the mallers, nothing new on the search for Lizzie, nothing new on the fates of Burt and Angel etc etc, and the zeds seem to be a distant afterthought now.

Damn... had to wait until just now to listen to it, though I had seen your comment on a 30min episode and was hopeful.

Yeah - not much to it. I may have to re-listen but it really did just rehash stuff that has already happened and confirmed suspicions about Kilani. I really like flashback stuff to fill in gaps - but not episodes in a row really. Time to move the story along...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

I was disappointed with this 30 min episode, hopefully the pace will pick up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

They have spent so long building a foundation in the first half of the season what they build on it in the second half better be cracking.

touts wrote: »
    They have spent so long building a foundation in the first half of the season what they build on it in the second half better be cracking.

For me they have lost all the momentum they had built up in the final few chapters and finale of season two. It is nearly all flash backs to stuff from season one and gap filling of things that were pretty obvious from season one as well.

• Advertisement

The only thing I can come up with is that whoever is at or in charge of the new base where Michael and company are - it's someone they already know or have run into. Not sure if they are good or bad or what... but I am guessing they will reveal something about this person via flashbacks, etc. I dunno... hoping there is a reason for the amount of time they are spending on filling in backstory.

My own gut feeling was that the flashbacks were a way to get by on a smaller budget or something.

Something along the lines of the cast members that were on smaller wages being used to churn out a certain amount of episodes, and then the regulars get brought back for the remainder.

Could be totally wrong with that guess, but the sound production sounds a bit below that of the first two seasons as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭phill106

Kess73 wrote: »
    My own gut feeling was that the flashbacks were a way to get by on a smaller budget or something.

Something along the lines of the cast members that were on smaller wages being used to churn out a certain amount of episodes, and then the regulars get brought back for the remainder.

Could be totally wrong with that guess, but the sound production sounds a bit below that of the first two seasons as well.

I thought it was just me thinking the sound quality was poorer this season. First 2 seasons it was excellent, I could see in my mind everything that was happening. Now it all seems a bit...unclear? When action happens, it all seems chaotic and difficult to follow.
    Or i could be gettin old :)

phill106 wrote: »
    I thought it was just me thinking the sound quality was poorer this season. First 2 seasons it was excellent, I could see in my mind everything that was happening. Now it all seems a bit...unclear? When action happens, it all seems chaotic and difficult to follow.
    Or i could be gettin old :)

I don't think it is so much difficult to follow as it has become dull. Characters that they have spent two seasons building up and making listeners interested in are simply not mentioned.

Burt and Angel are two that, save for a little bit of chatter about them in the first episode or so in the third season, have received little acknowledgment.

We, the listeners, know that at least one is still alive based on what was said after the credits of the season two finale (personally I think both are somehow after surving falling from the very top of a high rise block based on Burt talking in the past tense about the tower falling during the finale), but the supposed cliffhanger has not been followed up on at all, along with whatever the mallers were doing and why Scratch was looking for Angel.

The army base storyline has been a total let down after it had been built up into a big part of the storyline in earlier seasons. Now it has been reduced to Michael playing a guitar like a moody child and the reading of Kalani's diary.

The Saul/Vic search for Lizzie has also been reduced to Kalani's backstory. Surely they could have had one group doing the Kalani backstory and had the other group following their own storyline to make things interesting. Just makes me think that there is cost cutting going on, especially when big chunks of season two got played during the last episode.

And lest I forget.....

NEW

EPISODE

DAY

It is on itunes now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

This weeks is much better, it has build up some suspense for next week. I imagine Kalani has now been put to bed.

This weeks is much better, it has build up some suspense for next week. I imagine Kalani has now been put to bed.

Yeah a much better episode this week. Things are finally moving forward again. Just did a count and this was the 11th episode of season 3. Just shows how much filler there is this season.

So a return to ground zero is on the cards again. Saul seemed very dumb with regrds to Ground Zero. Surely he would have known more about it seeing as members of his own group have been there before. They also seem to be hinting that it is the starting point for everything with their comments about how the special creatures only seem to be found near ground zero, plus Kalani had said in the past that he saw no specials in Hawaii (although he did also say that the regular ones seemed nastier there).

It would make no sense for there to only be one ground zero though, otherwise how could the creatures be worldwide so quicjky, and how would they have been in Hawaii at the same time as they were starting off in LA. But good to see some progress anyway.

Tanya's freakout could be interesting. Maybe she has a bite or something, or could she be wired or have some form of communication device that allows her to send info back to the colony? They better not have some cop out reason like she is nervous of check ups.

Poor old Burt, Lizzie, and Angel still are in limbo with regards to their storylines :(

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Suspected they'd be going back to the dead zone from the chapter pic.

557351_10150794076923185_123891458184_231091449_1693889920_n.jpg

Very odd about Tanya though. A bite is the easy scenario. Too obvious really. Being wired up is an interesting option. Maybe it's the medical side of the check. Underlying medical condition she doesn't want anyone to know about? Didn't think she'd mind too much as Saul isn't around.

With the guys in the base, I was initially wondering were they being led away individually, like the camp guards did in Auschwitz. But they're small in number, and not armed, so the group isn't really a threat to the base.

If Tanya was injured, it must be since we've met her, as they were really strict in the southern colony. Wasn't tanya seperated from the group when the tower was attacked? Was she knocked down at some stage during the attack?

• Advertisement

Options for tanya.
    1. A bite. Think she would have been showing signs by now. Unlikely.
    2. Some kind of communication device. Possibly. Leaning towards likely from available choices.
    3. Tatoo's...Related to zombies with ink on arms. Would be a stretch considering we seem to know most of her back story already. Possible.
    4. Pre-op transexual. Unlikely unless she adopted saul.
    5. Some kind of PTSD from being examined before, perhaps due to ground zero...Possible

As for the army base I keep getting the feeling something is iffy with the general. Either he does not exist, or is incapacitated and only the 2nd in command knows and has been pretending since it happened.

Another thing I just thought of is this army base. While it is not directly addressed, we can assume it is mostly male.
    The first person who has been seperated from the group? Riley.. A womanl..
    Second and third to be taken now and checked out seperately? More women.
    Could be that the general (if he exists) is doing some forward thinking, and knows that he will need some good ol' fashioned breeding stock!

Finally regarding victor and saul. Why don't they just turn on the air tanks when they start feeling the effects? Would save alot of air.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭muff03

Another thing I just thought of is this army base. While it is not directly addressed, we can assume it is mostly male.
    The first person who has been seperated from the group? Riley.. A womanl..
    Second and third to be taken now and checked out seperately? More women.
    Could be that the general (if he exists) is doing some forward thinking, and knows that he will need some good ol' fashioned breeding stock!

I like where you're going with this!

FINALLY got to listen to this week's and I'm pleased the story seems to be finally moving on.

Tanya's freakout - I dunno. I'd be very surprised if it was a bite. Comms back to the Colony are possible but she sure didn't like it there. I'd hope they aren't pulling another Kilani on us with her. Really not sure why she'd flip out like that since she's a medical professional, etc.

I thought it was enlightening to know it was Kilani's daughter the Mallers executed during the exchange - I had not made that connection. It gives a little more reason as to why Kilani did what he did with his chopper.

I'm not sold that the Army base is a good place to be yet. For all they know Riley is NOT being well taken care of or better. She could be dead for all they know... I want to meet the Colonel. Hopefully that happens soon!

Ground Zero - this is making less sense to me. If its truly a worldwide infection I'd have a hard time believing it started in California. I wonder if the outbreak happened worldwide but the mutant Z's we've seen happened only at Ground Zero where something else went wrong. Accidental release of chemicals, nuclear spill or exposure, etc...

DakotaYoda wrote: »
    FINALLY got to listen to this week's and I'm pleased the story seems to be finally moving on.

Tanya's freakout - I dunno. I'd be very surprised if it was a bite. Comms back to the Colony are possible but she sure didn't like it there. I'd hope they aren't pulling another Kilani on us with her. Really not sure why she'd flip out like that since she's a medical professional, etc.

I thought it was enlightening to know it was Kilani's daughter the Mallers executed during the exchange - I had not made that connection. It gives a little more reason as to why Kilani did what he did with his chopper.

I'm not sold that the Army base is a good place to be yet. For all they know Riley is NOT being well taken care of or better. She could be dead for all they know... I want to meet the Colonel. Hopefully that happens soon!

Ground Zero - this is making less sense to me. If its truly a worldwide infection I'd have a hard time believing it started in California. I wonder if the outbreak happened worldwide but the mutant Z's we've seen happened only at Ground Zero where something else went wrong. Accidental release of chemicals, nuclear spill or exposure, etc...

If it was a worldwide infection, I would wager it was a planned one. Seemed to happen in different places at the same time.

If it was a worldwide infection, I would wager it was a planned one. Seemed to happen in different places at the same time.

They seemed to have painted themselves into a corner somewhat on this.

In some episodes they have shown that the outbreak happened all over America and also in other countries at roughly the same time.

Kalani confirmed it was in Hawaii, and when they checked what folks had tivo'd they saw that it had been happening in other countries.

But they have also tried to hint that it all started in LA, and that the non regular creatures are a result of the original starting point, and that Behemoths, jumpers etc etc don't occur elsewhere.

But that is again challenged by a few things. One would be the hospital where it appeared that the special creatures were being created/altered going by what Riley and Kalani saw before tattoo creature turned up.

Also the idea of special creatures only being near the ground zero site is challenged by the fact that Angel and Kalani came across a behemoth when they went to the army base from episode one of season one, and also by the fact that specials were at the arena, at the hospital , and miles away at the coast when Michael/Pegs were attacked/chased by the aquatic specials just before they found where the Colony was.

Lest we forget

NEW

EPISODE

DAY

:D

• Advertisement

New episode is up........

..........but there is two week wait for the next episode. :rolleyes:

Is the fourth time this season that there has been a two or more week gap between episodes.:mad:

New episode is up........

..........but there is two week wait for the next episode. :rolleyes:

Is the fourth time this season that there has been a two or more week gap between episodes.:mad:

The first season had quite a few 2 week breaks and season 2 had several.... it seems like a loooong time to wait when the story is good.

The first season had quite a few 2 week breaks and season 2 had several.... it seems like a loooong time to wait when the story is good.

It also makes the runs of duller episodes seem like they go on fooooooorrrreeevvveeerrrrrrrrrrr.:D Season Three I am looking at you in particular.

"Talk to me Goose..."

Good stuff. Getting more info on the outbreak - sort of. Saul and Victor are a fun combo together.

Haze in the air. So - underground detonation/explosion or pumping some kind of gas through the mains and it blew up?

"We found crack in Inglewood - big surprise."

But man... how many minutes of walking and wheezing was that?? :D
    Wonder if there will be any long term effects from whatever they were exposed to.

Why can Saul breathe but Victor can't? Hmm... Obvious Vic thinks something is up with Saul. Maybe something from when Saul was hurt? They mentioned the antibiotics or perhaps something he was immunized via the military?

... and the gas or whatever is there can turn people into Z's?? That's not good. More answers in 2 weeks.... ugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭badgerhowlin

What im thinking
    Tanya
    She was bit and gave her self the same antibiotics that Saul was given and it stopped the infection. She doesnt want to go to get the check-up because she is afarid that they will see the bite mark and think she is going to turn and they will kill here there and the.

Saul
    The antibiotics has killed off the infection in him. It also can stop the virus that can cause the infection in some people.

I think only some people can get infected with this gas and the rest die from it. For those that get infected by it, the virus mutates in side the infected which then can infect everyone it comes in contact with.
    I come to this conclusion because if the "HAZE" can turn everyone there would not of been bodies lying on the street at "Ground Zero"

OR maybe the “Haze” is the cure for the infection and that is why you don’t see any zombies around there. If you are infected it will cure you and as long as you have not received a deadly wound you are OK, and if you have you will die, hence the dead bodies.

• Advertisement

they really are going to have to decide on whether Inglewood is the actual ground zero for the outbreak or not, because they cannot have it breaking out all over the world at the same time but still try to have LA as the point where it all started as they have already contradicted that too many times already.

Plus for it to break out worldwide at the same time is simply too big an operation to be believeable.

Kalani's timeline has creatures running around on a number of the Hawaiian islands at the same time they were running around in LA. Are we meant to buy that some organisation had whatever caused the change put in place even on small islands as well as every major city and country on the globe?

And if they go back to Inglewood being where it started, then there is no way it could have started in Hawaii (and in the other countries) at the same time.

As for Tanya/Saul. My original feeling was that Tanya was either wired or carrying a communication/tracker device on here, but if she was bit and knew what combination of antibiotics to use to counter it, maybe that suggests that her job as a vet was simply a cover and that in reality she worked for some scientific division and she got seperated on Z day.

The anti biotics might be why Saul can breathe, but then again how would antiobiotics allow a human respiratory to be able to filter out harmful fumes/chemicals etc without outside aid or some kind of gentic modification? I had been thinking that maybe Saul was mutated slightly as he got some creature blood inside him when he was shot, but having a creature's immune sytem would be no good either in Inglewood as we have been told that they cannot survive in there either.

I don't think that Saul was immunized via the military as in the very first episode the guy in charge of their base had become a creature and Saul killed him by running him over with the hummer/humvee.

CJ also made a comment about how they had someone look at the cracks before but how they had to shoot/finish off that person soon after, which suggested that the person turned. But we have seen (well heard) some from Tower 1 in the dead zone before, and although they got caught for breath, none changed into a creature afterwards.

I'm afraid some people here are putting far more thought into the show than the people writing the story. I suspect they spent too long having their backs slapped and signing autographs on the comic-book nerd circuit in the US and forgot to keep doing the basics that got them there. All this season so far has felt like some poor lacky pushed out front to keep the audience occupied while the stars fight it out behind the curtain.

touts wrote: »
    I'm afraid some people here are putting far more thought into the show than the people writing the story. I suspect they spent too long having their backs slapped and signing autographs on the comic-book nerd circuit in the US and forgot to keep doing the basics that got them there. All this season so far has felt like some poor lacky pushed out front to keep the audience occupied while the stars fight it out behind the curtain.

Would have to agree that season three has been poor for the most part. The "cliffhangers" seem rushed or tacked on, and there has been a distinct whiff of filler off most episodes.

Plus in a world where the creatures make up the majority of the population, there has been a massive lack of them all season.

I'm stilling holding on to the guess that the Z outbreak did start worldwide, however it actually started, and that the gas/haze or whatever in Inglewood just created the special Z's that they have been seeing around LA.

I'm stilling holding on to the guess that the Z outbreak did start worldwide, however it actually started, and that the gas/haze or whatever in Inglewood just created the special Z's that they have been seeing around LA.

Well we know there were outbreaks all over the world and all over the US at the same time, that much has already been shown thanks to what was tivo'd and from what Kalani said about Hawaii.

I don't buy that the gas created the specials though. Otherwise the hospital stuff is totally invalid, plus the idea that the specials only occur within a certain radius has already been disproven simply by having various tower members coming across them elsewhere in the first two seasons.

I think that the original premise from the earlier seasons that certain creatures mutate more based on them being exceptional specimens of a certain quality when they were human makes more sense tbh, and could be used to explain why there was more of one type than another in certain areas.

Most people will fall within a certain range of abilities and be pretty average and as such they would become the drones or average/regular creatures.

The tiny % of uber smart people would become the smart creatures, the tiny % of world class athletes would become the creatures that have either enhanced speed (as seen by the ones that kept pace with Burt/Saul/Lizzie when their car was doing close to 50 in season one), enhanced size/strength (behemoths), enhanced leaping/agility (Jumpers) and so on.

Even the tiny ones could have been young children/babies or midgets.

New

EPISODE

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYY!!!!

New

EPISODE

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYY!!!!

Good - I had thought there was one more week. This makes me happy.

Downloading now....

The accent Corporal Whateverhisname has that is attached to Michael is awful. Just awful... ugh.

I thought they'd bring in the Colonel a little differently too. He was just there - bam. Disappointed it's not someone we don't know. Not sure why - just thought it would be someone we had already met.

At least its forward progress. No flashbacks and Michael is back to active duty so we should get some good info in the next episode.

Have to say that was a very dull episode. The supposed cliffhanger at the end was just sooooo bad.

This season has just been so laboured at times, and there has been no flow at all to any of the storylines.

They have spent so much dragging dragging out stuff that could really have been done in two or three episodes and outstanding storylines like Burt, Angel, the Mallers, tattoo creature, the Colony, Lizzie with the Mallers (as in seeing things from Lizzie's pov), etc etc have pretty much all been ignored this season, not to mention an almost complete lack of creatures.

If the first season had been as dull and poor quality as this one I would have given up on the show. 13 episodes into season 3 and it has become an effort to listen to the show.

• Advertisement

Have to say that was a very dull episode. The supposed cliffhanger at the end was just sooooo bad.

This season has just been so laboured at times, and there has been no flow at all to any of the storylines.

They have spent so much dragging dragging out stuff that could really have been done in two or three episodes and outstanding storylines like Burt, Angel, the Mallers, tattoo creature, the Colony, Lizzie with the Mallers (as in seeing things from Lizzie's pov), etc etc have pretty much all been ignored this season, not to mention an almost complete lack of creatures.

If the first season had been as dull and poor quality as this one I would have given up on the show. 13 episodes into season 3 and it has become an effort to listen to the show.

amen to most of this. couldn't believe it just ended like that, could have done with another few minutes.
    Looks like no obvious bite marks on tania though at least, otherwise would have seen as soon as exam started?

amen to most of this. couldn't believe it just ended like that, could have done with another few minutes.
    Looks like no obvious bite marks on tania though at least, otherwise would have seen as soon as exam started?

The ending was really a stupid one. We have gone from life or death moments being cliffhangers to a signiture being a cliffhanger.

Will be a total cop out if the Tanya thing just turns out to be her having a breakdown and freaking because of that.

I am assuming that if the base has no connection to the mallers, then we are just building up to a situation where the base gets overrun by creatures and a one or two of the soldiers end up joining Michael's group as they escape.

I was wondering if maybe Tanya, or someone else at The Colony, had figured out that a particular kind of antibiotic regimen made a person immune. Perhaps she has the same kind of line and bag that Saul has and she just never told anyone.... who knows.

Either way - if I don't hear the Corporal w/ Michael speak again I will be fine with that. And something odd w/ the Colonel. Just the way they brought him in, etc. Just odd and can't say why exactly. Maybe just poor writing and/or delivery.

I've always said my biggest peeve is all the cliffhanger endings... at least this week it's not so bad, although I don't think that was done on purpose. I think the ending was just bad.

Not trying to be all negative - I AM looking forward to the next episode to see what Michael finds out.

The ending was really a stupid one. We have gone from life or death moments being cliffhangers to a signiture being a cliffhanger.

Will be a total cop out if the Tanya thing just turns out to be her having a breakdown and freaking because of that.

I am assuming that if the base has no connection to the mallers, then we are just building up to a situation where the base gets overrun by creatures and a one or two of the soldiers end up joining Michael's group as they escape.

Indeed. It's not as if there is a legal system in operation that will adjudicate on the legality of the contract. If the boys with the guns want Michael to do something and he refuses he is in the sh1t signature or no signature. There were hints that the Commander might be a bit of a nutcase. Sending someone down for retraining for a minor issue.

However on balance this is really really slow. We basically had an episode comprising Michael getting his uniform. Walking back to his billet. Putting the uniform on and walking back to the Command Post.

5 chapters into a 12 chapter season and they are still setting the scene. There better be something bloody fantastic on those screens.

I was wondering if maybe Tanya, or someone else at The Colony, had figured out that a particular kind of antibiotic regimen made a person immune. Perhaps she has the same kind of line and bag that Saul has and she just never told anyone.... who knows.

Either way - if I don't hear the Corporal w/ Michael speak again I will be fine with that. And something odd w/ the Colonel. Just the way they brought him in, etc. Just odd and can't say why exactly. Maybe just poor writing and/or delivery.

I've always said my biggest peeve is all the cliffhanger endings... at least this week it's not so bad, although I don't think that was done on purpose. I think the ending was just bad.

Not trying to be all negative - I AM looking forward to the next episode to see what Michael finds out.

Probably find out that there was a blue pen and a black pen on the desk and he could not make up his mind which to use.

Probably find out that there was a blue pen and a black pen on the desk and he could not make up his mind which to use.

*sigh*
    Bet before he would have stabbed a zombie in the eye with them...

Coming next week: A cliffhanger that involves files not being filed properly.

Colonel: "Michael, did you file these?"

Michael: "......................ummmm."

Cue end music and Tune in next week for the next exciting episode of We're Alive.

Coming next week: A cliffhanger that involves files not being filed properly.

Colonel: "Michael, did you file these?"

Cue end music and Tune in next week for the next exciting episode of We're Alive.
    and a word from our sponsor. Post its...for when you have to leave a note for your loved ones in a zombie infested world, you can rely on post its!

Colonel: "Michael, did you use a paperclip? I thought I said to staple those pages"

• Advertisement

Tis that time of the week again :D

Advertisement