Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Military Photo Thread (Discussion)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

Gatling wrote: »
    Liking the look of the new G36 and G36 optics which hopefully the work propererly unlike the first and 2md gen G36s,

The guy in the all black KSK looks more like a GSG9 officer

ksk as far as i could recall from what i read

german_ksk_34.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Gatling wrote: »
    Liking the look of the new G36 and G36 optics which hopefully the work propererly unlike the first and 2md gen G36s,

The guy in the all black KSK looks more like a GSG9 officer

They seem to be still using the red dot from the G36A2 with this new variant.

In the first pic, there was the dual optic system of the A2 without the carry handle mounted on a flat top rail. The second had the complete new dual optics, which was interesting to see.

The flat top rail with optional optics seems to be the way to go but with that a cheek riser is need hence the new stock.

Most foreign users mount aimpoints or in the case of the Spanish they have an aimpoint on the carry handle rail, so much for a cheek rest there.

I don't see why they just go with a Specter DR type sight and get rid of the dual optic ladder system.

There's that many G36 variants now it's hard to keep track of with all the barrel, stock, sights, trigger group and rail options.

Don't know why HK bring in the MP5 type number letter variant system back in.

I don't see why they just go with a Specter DR type sight and get rid of the dual optic ladder system.

for a lot of users the expensive i wold imagine does not out way the benefits, also you have to look back the original g36 and its optics package we;re designed for a different conflict for that job it was fine, the demands of the last decade have thrown a lot of thinking on its head though

but to late on the elcans

31816124.jpg
    There's that many G36 variants now it's hard to keep track of with all the barrel, stock, sights, trigger group and rail options.

domestically still kinda easy to keep track of but export is a different beast, then again its not much different to any of major firearm export being tailored to is destination

edit: can anyone tell im rather board with nothing to do this evening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

the G36 and the elcan just seem to be made for each other ,though not sure what to make of the blue handle training pistols ,somebody asked me about that at HRTA on sunday wanted to know if there real soldiers or airsofters just because of the pistols alone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭whydave

''Lt.Michael Murphy posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor, broke cover and walked into heavy enemy fire to make an emergency call twice on his cell phone after suffering comms failures .''
    A sure sign of the times (think it's O2 ?)
    Legend !

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

bullets wrote: »
    Could someone please tell me about just what the heck is the deal with shooting with the butt of a firearm like pictured below. I see it all of the time in the movies and TV series.

In a nutshell, bring the rifle to your head, not your head to the rifle. More natural, allows quicker changes in point of aim, greater peripheral vision, doesn't affect your balance, and the 5.56mm round is so small that you don't need to have too much contact area in order to properly absorb the recoil.

NTM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭flashinbluelite

i want a really high res version of that blackhawk or whatever it was collecting troups on that mountain.... coolest pic ever........ anyone any idea where i would get my mitts on it, i have the printer if you have the pic :D

seriously, if you want pics printed . i personally can print as big as super b3 size and a mate of mine works in HP, he prints as big as you want....

I want one of these !! It's like the love child of a G36k and an M-249 !!
    800px-MG4.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭Daz1214

folding butt stock as well???

• Advertisement

whydave wrote: »
    I want one of these !! It's like the love child of a G36k and an M-249 !!
    800px-MG4.jpg

the second this is availible in airsoft , I want one..... no no i NEED one.... its stunning :o

. its stunning :o

Whats stunning is the sustained rate of fire of the thing, its crazy for a GPMG.

There is a vid on youtube of it firing until the barrel is glowing red, the barrel is removed, dunked in water and re-installed in about 10 seconds and they carry on firing.

Carries on where the MG3 and MG42 left off.

A dog fancy dressed as a military, marches during celebrations for the World Animal Day on October 3, 2010, in Medellin, Antioquia department, Colombia.
    f33601dogfancydress.jpg

610xbl.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

I want one of these
    Slovenian armed forces
    attachment.php?attachmentid=105225&d=1263894389

I've said it once, and I'll say it again. The Slovenians have their shít wired. F2000's as standard, G36's, Patria AMV's and effective camo patterns (even if it is just the old Yugoslavian pattern re-hashed a bit).

does the third guy have a H&K 417 ?
    hquktf201007407521.jpg

• Advertisement

does the third guy have a H&K 417 ?

L129A1, picked over the hk417 and the scar h

http://www.army.mod.uk/equipment/support-weapons/18827.aspx

One of the biggest air assault operation done in Afghanistan:

We were very pleased to hear this one finally got off the ground. We were at Surobi conducting final rehearsals for that op back in Sept 09 when the assets got pulled from us at the last minute. When we tried going to plan B without the helicopters, we were called off entirely. We were extremely pissed off. So were the French (TF Dragon, at the time), as they have a bit of a grudge against the individuals we were targetting. Unit rotations and other taskings basically meant that we just handed the plan over to Iron Gray (National Guard unit out of Connecticut) and said 'hope you have better luck than we did'.

Wonder if they found any of their missing FAMASs?

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭RNO

Are you talking about what happened at end of Septembre 09?
    The night of 26th to 27th?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Why do they leave all the aircraft on the flight deck? Like only the helo's can take off as is and most of the rest would have to be brought under to begin launching. And in order to get them there in the first place they would have had to have been in the hold to allow landings...
    :confused:

If it's the night from 26th to 27th, one soldier was struck during the infiltration stage,then the mission was suspended to allow his evacuation, but he finaly died.
    One LRRP is swept away by flash floods from a river during the disengagement phase and an officer also disappears while he tried to rescue him.
    At this stage significant resources, both human and air (helicopters Caracal, Tiger and Apache) are immediately implemented for searching the two missing soldiers from special forces, finaly they were found dead at dawn.

**** happens.

Hope that "Wonder if they found any of their missing FAMASs?" is not sarcastic...

• Advertisement

If it's the night from 26th to 27th, one soldier was struck during the infiltration stage,then the mission was suspended to allow his evacuation, but he finaly died.

No, that was a different, smaller mission entirely, and if I recall, was a different unit in TF Lafayette.

The missing FAMASs would have been from the incident in Sper Kunday, Aug 2008. We were planning on visiting the individuals responsible for that one, and is the area that Normandy Eagle was visiting. However, the US aviation assets were diverted to support a large operation in Barge Methal, which had turned nasty. We were never given an official reason as to why plan B wasn't permitted, it was nixed on the American, not the French side.

I'm quite familiar with the events in the area, mainly because I wrote the plan. I was the Squadron S-3 Plans Jun 09-Mar 10, and the primary liaison with the neighbouring French units, Dragon and Altor. (Though we left very soon after Altor arrived)
    legionntm.jpg
    (Sper Kunday is about 6 inches to the left of where I'm pointing)
    130407.JPG

NTM

chinookoverisland.jpg

That's a Sea Knight, not a Chinook.

NTM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭swiftblade

That sweedish camo is hawt! :p

anyone know were Ican get a set of this camo ?
    120322.jpg

That's a Sea Knight, not a Chinook.

NTM

my apologises :( to busy wishing i was on that island...

everyday is a schooling day....

chinookoverisland.jpg
    NEW NAME: Sea(Knight) how nice this island is?!!!!

anyone know were Ican get a set of this camo ?
    120322.jpg

Ask her????, if your not allowed i will.....

800pxrhibhelicopter.jpg

U.S. Navy Special Warfare Combatant-craft Crewmen (SWCC) assigned to Special Boat Teams 12 and 20 rig their rigid-hull inflatable boat to a CH-47 Chinook helicopter assigned to the 159th Aviation Regiment during a maritime external air transportation system (MEATS) training exercise in the Virginia Capes near Fort Eustis, Va., 16 July 2008.

chinookpara.jpg
    Soldiers jump from a CH-47 Chinook helicopter during Leapfest, an annual training exercise and airborne competition hosted by the Rhode Island Army National Guard in Kingston, R.I, Aug. 7, 2010. Now in its 28th year, Leapfest draws teams from throughout the U.S. military as well as from the United Kingdom, Canada and the Dominican Republic and other locations. Participants jump in teams of four and are scored based on their times reaching a specified area in the drop zone.

verticalchinook.jpg

Seriously ..... pull up.... love your man in the door

That photograph of the Tanks facing off at Checkpoint Charlie has to be one of my all time favourite military photos.

You can sence the tension. Scary to think what could have happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

2 blonde lady marines -

beat me .spank me, and tie me to a chair

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

Are those NK Paras a joke ? Seriously look at their hats!

And does anybody know what the deal with the electronic device is that the Australians are using there when practising fire drills ? (one of the instructors is walking behind your man with it to his ear)

• Advertisement

Ayrtonf7 wrote: »
    Are those NK Paras a joke ? Seriously look at their hats!

and the problem with them is? a similar design has been used but paras around the world since people started jumping out of planes :) i just works and its simple for a jump cap

And does anybody know what the deal with the electronic device is that the Australians are using there when practising fire drills ? (one of the instructors is walking behind your man with it to his ear)

would say it is a shot timer

even get an iphone app :)

Ah I just think they look ridiculus...and with today improvments in composite materials I dont see why they would use something that looks outta date. :) Anyways I think we both agree they look funky ? (and would look better without them ;) )

Shot Timers do what they say on the tin ?

Ah I just think they look ridiculus...and with today improvments in composite materials I dont see why they would use something that looks outta date. :) Anyways I think we both agree they look funky ? (and would look better without them ;) )

Maybe you should tell one of the worlds biggest militaries (Russia) they look funky :p .Cheaper to mass produce too i suspect.

Actualy does Russia still use them? Im looking at you Puding ;)

That look funky:
    casque-parachutiste-gueneau-armee-francaise.jpg

This model is manufactured specifically for 13 rdp
    Puding wrote: »

08102003231067662638343.jpg

aai.jpg

With a stack that length, it would be embarassing if the after the 'Go' the next call is 'Short room!'

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭JonnyTwoCombs

Surprized no one has jumped on this before...

Azeribaijan special forces

BLUE FACE's WTF, come on lads!! :eek:

And while I'm at it, the Mexican Feds seem to weed out the uglies during the selection process (or so it seems from the pics) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭delta-boy

Whats the story with 'Softing with a flight helmet? xD

This sir is one happy commando !
    5080926948_76fa9dcc84.jpg

• Advertisement

Very very happy commando, you cant imagine it.
    Banana
    :D

Me thinks I am gonna go join the Estonian Army

your asking the wrong person :) i have a soft spot for the soft jump helmets and tanker helmets :P

swiftblade wrote: »
    Maybe you should tell one of the worlds biggest militaries (Russia) they look funky :p .Cheaper to mass produce too i suspect.

Actualy does Russia still use them? Im looking at you Puding ;)

still used

july201045gpvdvdsc3098.jpg

Anyone know what type of upper receiver this is ?
    328939.jpg

The upper receiver looks standard just painted, I take it your talking about the front rail system?

• Advertisement

The upper receiver looks standard just painted, I take it your talking about the front rail system?

I don't know, it might be a new receiver, probably with a free-float barrel. Note the lack of gas plug and frontsight, taking that off the standard issue M4 is a bit of work. Not impossible, but replacing the receiver is easier. Wonder if it's a 416 conversion of some sort?

Not having any luck finding the odd quadrail offhand.

NTM

Will have to go with you on that one as I'm trying to view it on a iPhone so quality is not the best

It is a bit of an odd one , it is not exactly just a cosmetic addob, as you say it is fundamentaly changing the front end , hardly looks like a test bed looks like a comercial private buy, but I did not believe you could get away with swapping that much out

Will have to go with you on that one as I'm trying to view it on a iPhone so quality is not the best

It is a bit of an odd one , it is not exactly just a cosmetic addob, as you say it is fundamentaly changing the front end , hardly looks like a test bed looks like a comercial private buy, but I did not believe you could get away with swapping that much out

You can't, unless there's an MWO from TACOM authorising it. Occasionally commanders will look the other way (though I don't know any who would authorise a complete upper replacement, I certainly didn't), but if it's not an authorised mod through the system, someone at TACOM is going to be making a few 'phone calls now that this picture is in public distribution. The thing about looking the other way is you don't want to call attention to it.

Could have been a hand-down from a test from Special Forces: Logistics units are never on the sharp end of new equipment fielding, and a hand-me-down used M4/416 would probably still be preferable to the full length M16s which are still in service. That would be in the Army system, would account for the paint job, and the change.

I'll see what I can find out on other sites.

NTM

That front end and upper look very similar to the LWRC M6 gas piston drop in kits for the AR15 platform.

http://www.lwrci.com/p-4-m6a2.aspx

would be interesting to know just for curiosity more than anything else :)

i do not think its hk416 based, you don;t have that step up from the receiver to the top rail as you get on the 416 that i can remember

• Advertisement
Advertisement