Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

So... the PSP...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

I think my PSP has just bricked. Won't turn on, no power lights at all, no response from anything. I let it charge all last night and nothing has changed. I installed custom firmware but no hardware changes or anything like that.
    Any help??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

SexyGuy wrote: »
    Thank You EnterNow.

That's the worst part with any Thread on any Forum.

It's hard to keep the original post going on the straight and narrow.

I'll do a bit of reading and try not to get lost in it.

I forgot you can also tell your PSP model from the sticker behind the battery, should be top right of the black sticker. EnterNow's updated info on CFW installation types might negate the limitations on PSP models as well.

I think my PSP has just bricked. Won't turn on, no power lights at all, no response from anything. I let it charge all last night and nothing has changed. I installed custom firmware but no hardware changes or anything like that.
    Any help??

I could still be out of date on this too but here's one option, if your PSP can use a Pandora Battery then it should allow you to install a CFW or OFW in recovery mode. Google for tutorials but unless there's a new way (Very possible) it will cost money for the battery.

I could still be out of date on this too but here's one option, if your PSP can use a Pandora Battery then it should allow you to install a CFW or OFW in recovery mode. Google for tutorials but unless there's a new way (Very possible) it will cost money for the battery.

Like this?: http://www.dealextreme.com/p/psp-unbricker-pandora-battery-for-psp-1000-2000-1800mah-3-6v-12472

I'll see about getting one. I bought another PSP from adverts the other day just in case it couldn't be fixed. My old one is in bits and I have about 12gb of games.

That should do it, I bought this one a while back as it doubles as a normal battery, has caused me a few issues though.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Datel-Max-Power-Digital-Battery/dp/B001SR5DA6

I do advise you hold off a little while before ordering though because as I said I'm out of date on this stuff and there maybe another way, someone else might know and post here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Fully power down and take the battery out (leave the power chord plugged in). Then hold the R-button while powering back on.

If there was a custom-firmware patch on the psp it should activate a recovery menu.

If not you would need a pandora battery (though they may no longer work for newer models)

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

EnterNow wrote: »
    It's a ten page thread that has veered off topic a few times, cut the guy a bit of slack.

Summarise what you've learned so far if you wanna be helpful.

Yeah. A very recent thread, and only ten pages. My point exactly. I've looked through an 197 page thread for information before... Everything he needs, he'll find in the first three pages.

animaX wrote: »
    Fully power down and take the battery out (leave the power chord plugged in). Then hold the R-button while powering back on.

If there was a custom-firmware patch on the psp it should activate a recovery menu.

If not you would need a pandora battery (though they may no longer work for newer models)

No joy with that either. It's still completely dead. My brother was the last one using it so there's a good chance he dropped it or something. I'll get the pandora battery and try that just in case. It's the E1000 model so there's a good chance it'll work :)

No joy with that either. It's still completely dead. My brother was the last one using it so there's a good chance he dropped it or something. I'll get the pandora battery and try that just in case. It's the E1000 model so there's a good chance it'll work :)

Might be an issue there, I don't think the E1000 can use the Pandora Battery, only 1000 and some 2000.

That is correct. The E1000 has no removable battery.

Andy!! wrote: »
    That is correct. The E1000 has no removable battery.
    Well then it probably is just the 1000 because i took a battery out of it. Whoops!

• Advertisement

Yeah the E1000's are the new matte PSP Streets, which have no wifi. You probably have the first gen fattie :) Is it completely dead? Any idea what firmware is on it? Did the pandora battery kick it back to life?

Well then it probably is just the 1000 because i took a battery out of it. Whoops!

Look on the bottom of the console or behind the battery for a sticker that gives the model number, if there was no door when you removed the battery then it's the E1000.

Yeah the E1000's are the new matte PSP Streets, which have no wifi. You probably have the first gen fattie :) Is it completely dead? Any idea what firmware is on it? Did the pandora battery kick it back to life?

It has 6.60 firmware on and I installed the lite CFW a few weeks back. No idea why this happened as it was running perfectly till now. Sorry about the earlier confusion, it says PSP1003 on the bottom sticker.

It has 6.60 firmware on and I installed the lite CFW a few weeks back. No idea why this happened as it was running perfectly till now. Sorry about the earlier confusion, it says PSP1003 on the bottom sticker.

Pandora should work fine, make sure to find a well written tutorial and give it a few reads before doing anything to the PSP, Google will link to a few.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Yeah. A very recent thread, and only ten pages. My point exactly. I've looked through an 197 page thread for information before... Everything he needs, he'll find in the first three pages.

Listen, folks here were good enough to empart help & knowledge to you when you asked. Rather than being a dick, why not just give SexyGuy some help/advice that isn't from the smart arse camp ok?

I'd never expect anyone to dig through a ten page thread for a tiny bit of help, so less of the bell end attitude please.

EnterNow wrote: »
    Listen, folks here were good enough to empart help & knowledge to you when you asked.

Exactly... in this very thread in fact. Within the last two weeks. Which he would know, had he spend 60 seconds to find out. Fostering an attitude that it's ok to just drop into a thread and ask about things that are covered two pages back without taking a few minutes to look back will turn every 10 page thread into a 30 page one. Would have thought that was obvious.:P

Exactly... in this very thread in fact. Within the last two weeks. Which he would know, had he spend 60 seconds to find out. Fostering an attitude that it's ok to just drop into a thread and ask about things that are covered two pages back without taking a few minutes to look back will turn every 10 page thread into a 30 page one. Would have thought that was obvious.:P

Your the one here with the attitude of unhelpfulness, & I'll decide where someone is being lazy ok? I think we've taken this thread off topic enough already as is, so can we get back on topic - thanks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I need the best procedure for getting a permanent cfw solution onto a PSP Go currently running ofw6.39
    Thanks

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I need the best procedure for getting a permanent cfw solution onto a PSP Go currently running ofw6.39
    Thanks

I'm not sure if there is a permanent solution for your model/fw...but the Lite cfw's are pretty cool. They stay alive in RAM from what I remember, & don't flash the nand.

Anyway - http://www.pspmod.com/forums/psp-guides-tutorials/74690-pspgo-n1001-ofw-6-20-want-put-cfw.html

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Sorted now, installed 6.69 Pro-B10, seems to be working fine.
    Now to lash on the emus!

• Advertisement

Pox!
    Now my PC won't recognize my PSP Go regardless of the port I use!
    Sometimes it pops up before disappearing again!
    No Fair!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Keep us tracked on how you get on please, I have two PSP3000's on 6.39 I want to get onto permanent CFW without having to downgrade to 6.20 if possible. Cheers

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Sweded

I used to have a naughty PSP but then ironically a very naughty person lifted it when I was burgled :D I am now looking to get myself another one. I would go for a PSP Go but of course no removable battery, no custom firmware! I was looking at a PSP Street but I was talking to a guy in gamestop today and he said that it didn't feature WiFi or remote play. Now, because I am a good boy most of the time and only use naughty PSP's for ancient game emulation, I do have a lot of games bought off the PSN. I thought the PSP street lacked a UMD drive so that wouldn't affect me, but apparently not.

So, am I better off going with a Slim&Brite? Can the PSP 3000's have CFW put on them? Does the PSP feature a Brite screen? Could I transfer my PSN games to a street via a USB cable? Still not sure I could do without the wifi, I find I use that to validate the game licences (especially the free ones that you get on PS+ that need to be validated every so often).

The only reason I would go with a street to be honest is because I hate gross fingerprints (glossy casing, worst part about this generation of gaming!) but I guess I could go with a white S&L...

Thoughts? How many people are still using their PSP's these days? I played around with a Vita recently and found it fun, but the screen is surprisingly low res, and it ain't got enough games yet...

Actually there are tons of good games on it right now, but if I were you i'll just definitely buy a Vita rather than a PSP as most of the upcoming awesome games such as Final Fantasy Type-0 are said to be playable in Vita rather than PSP knowing that PSP console doesn't profit that much in the west.

Sweded wrote: »
    most of the upcoming awesome games such as Final Fantasy Type-0 are said to be playable in Vita

I wouldn't be so sure about this. A western release has yet to be officially confirmed, let alone a vita release.

Though I agree with your point in general, if the price isn't off-putting I would recommend a vita over a psp since a lot of psp games (and I would guess most new ones) are playable on vita and are often better on vita.

Sweded wrote: »
    Actually there are tons of good games on it right now, but if I were you i'll just definitely buy a Vita rather than a PSP as most of the upcoming awesome games such as Final Fantasy Type-0 are said to be playable in Vita rather than PSP knowing that PSP console doesn't profit that much in the west.

I know better than to buy first generation handhelds :pac: And also, Type-0 has had Japanese PSP release already, what makes you think it will change machine completely for other territories? It is very unlikely. Sure, most western players will be playing digital copies on their PS Vita's, but it will still be a PSP game.

And also, Type-0 has had Japanese PSP release already, what makes you think it will change machine completely for other territories? It is very unlikely. Sure, most western players will be playing digital copies on their PS Vita's, but it will still be a PSP game.

There were rumours/suggestions that it would be bumped up to a vita game on its (possible) western release, to bolster the vita software lineup.

It's not completely unreasonable, it would lessen piracy and would get around the need for two UMDs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭ahyeahok

Hey all, did a search but I can't find anything specific to what I'm looking for.

I recently picked up a new psp 2003 with firmware 3.95.
    Just looking to do some emulation on it, can I put cfw easy enough on this model to achieve that or do I need to get a pandora battery?
    What firmware version would I need etc? I'm a complete noob to this.
    Thanks in advance.

ahyeahok wrote: »
    Hey all, did a search but I can't find anything specific to what I'm looking for.

I recently picked up a new psp 2003 with firmware 3.95.
    Just looking to do some emulation on it, can I put cfw easy enough on this model to achieve that or do I need to get a pandora battery?
    What firmware version would I need etc? I'm a complete noob to this.
    Thanks in advance.

Follow one of the guides here:

http://forums.dashhacks.com/psp-tutorials-guides/

Read a few of the guides to get an idea of what to do - then pick one of the guides and follow it to the letter. Make sure you know exactly which model you have

• Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭ahyeahok

Ok I'm confused if it's a TA-088v3 motherboard or not.
    Seems like my model could be either according to this table. (a new psp 2003 with firmware 3.95.)
    dF44a.png
    I was looking at this "How To Tell If It’s A TA-088v3" http://ruyor.comxa.com/BGTP/index_files/tell88v3.htm
    (Don't know how accurate the info is on the link)
    Fig A - My box says G (according to the link G or higher is most likely a TA-088v3)
    FIG C - My date code says 8B (Link says 8C or higher it’s a TA-088v3 )
    FIG D - First letter/numbers seem to say 85 (link says it should be the same as the date code which mine is not)
    So is my best option to run PSPIdent thru HEN as the link said to find out the motherboard number. Do I have to update my firmware to be able to run the above? :confused:
    Any help would be appreciated .

EDIT: ANY INFO IN THIS POST MAY BE OUT OF DATE :)

• Advertisement

I think the table above is a bit old - the TA088v3 is no longer "unhackable" according to these guides:

http://forums.dashhacks.com/psp-tutorials-guides/306417-updated-tut-hacking-all-psps-except-e100x-series.html
    http://forums.dashhacks.com/psp-tutorials-guides/227349-hack-your-psp-mega-thread.html

The question is - is yours a TA-088v3. Sounds like it could be. Google a few more of those "how to tell the motherboard of the psp" guides to see if you can get a more definitive answer.

(I think) PSident will be of little use to you because you need to hack the psp in the first place in order to run it!! (I think)

By the way - it is actually possible to run emulators etc on the psp without hacking it at all. If you search the internet hard enough, you might be able to find "signed" versions of emulators for psp. These would run on official firmwares but they may be hard to find and not all emulators might have been ported

Advertisement