Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Bumper Accomodation Thread *Put ALL Accomodation queries here*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭pa limerick

Really need help where is the one place that will have the most first years?

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Richmond Ultra

Really need help where is the one place that will have the most first years?

Farranlea, student village or vic mills have the most but bear in mind after first year most students move out to houses so you'll be sorted for first years in the majority of student accommodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Jlayay

What is your opinion of Farranlea Hall? It is the cheapest option at 4400 Euro and is ensuite. My GEM program lasts until June so if I stay for the summer it is only 75 Euro per week on top of the residence fees. I'd check the place out myself if I was in Ireland but I'm Canadian.

I've read up some reviews of this place and they all seem pretty bad from not giving your deposit back to doors being easily opened for theft to paper thin walls that aren't soundproof etc etc. Is it that bad? Anyone with impressions?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Benm123

I'd consider Farranlea if you want the en suite. Yes its a bit further out then Brookfield from Campus but the craic is mighty and you've wardens there supervising the place but their sound and there is plenty of parties there etc.

Hey, i dont mean to single you out in particular but from your post i gather you live/have lived there before?

I recently just booked my place there but i have 10 days to pay the deposit to secure it, and in the last few days ive read some absolutely terrible reviews on the place. This past review i found may be a bit long (and granted its from 2011) but i'd be so grateful if you could give me your experience with any these issues and let me know if any of them or even how many of them are true?

"
    1. Half of the photos on their website does not present Farranlea at all. If you ask to view it before move in, they are sure to show you the best apartment they have, freshly painted and with new stuff in it to encourage you, but don't be fouled, it does not look like that at all. A lot of my friends apartment actually had vomit stained into the couches and floors. They will also promise you everything you want to have you book it. Once you pay, you can complain as much as you want and they'll do nothing.
    2. The more you complain or ask for things to be done, no metter how nice you are, the meaner and aggressive Emma Bucley, the office worker, becomes. I must say I have never experienced such an aggressive, ignorant and rude "customer service", whih includes bad language, shouting and waving her hands in front of your face. Whoever owns it should seriously connsider employing someone else.
    3. It is not secure at all. Door can be pushed open and half of Cork know about it and makes advantage of it, so you are very likely to get robbed.
    4.This place is very dirty, things are not fixed properly or not fixed at all, there are vomit stains all over the carpets and couches. And they have the cheek to call themselves "Superior student accommodation" on their website.
    5.Its not 5 minutes walk from college, it's at least 15 through orchard road and that's if you walk fast. Whatever is 5 minutes walk from college is on campus, and from what I know, Farranlea is NOT. Besides, you can easily count the walking time on googlemaps. Their website is full of lies and i am truly shocked with it.
    6. Walls are paper thin, they say they're soundproofed but i'd advise them to look it up in a dictionary."

As you can see im a little sceptical after reading this!

My other option was going to be the village so if anyone has any info about the quality there, thatd be great too!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭afriendlyshark

Benm123 wrote: »
    Hey, i dont mean to single you out in particular but from your post i gather you live/have lived there before?

I recently just booked my place there but i have 10 days to pay the deposit to secure it, and in the last few days ive read some absolutely terrible reviews on the place. This past review i found may be a bit long (and granted its from 2011) but i'd be so grateful if you could give me your experience with any these issues and let me know if any of them or even how many of them are true?

"
    1. Half of the photos on their website does not present Farranlea at all. If you ask to view it before move in, they are sure to show you the best apartment they have, freshly painted and with new stuff in it to encourage you, but don't be fouled, it does not look like that at all. A lot of my friends apartment actually had vomit stained into the couches and floors. They will also promise you everything you want to have you book it. Once you pay, you can complain as much as you want and they'll do nothing.
    2. The more you complain or ask for things to be done, no metter how nice you are, the meaner and aggressive Emma Bucley, the office worker, becomes. I must say I have never experienced such an aggressive, ignorant and rude "customer service", whih includes bad language, shouting and waving her hands in front of your face. Whoever owns it should seriously connsider employing someone else.
    3. It is not secure at all. Door can be pushed open and half of Cork know about it and makes advantage of it, so you are very likely to get robbed.
    4.This place is very dirty, things are not fixed properly or not fixed at all, there are vomit stains all over the carpets and couches. And they have the cheek to call themselves "Superior student accommodation" on their website.
    5.Its not 5 minutes walk from college, it's at least 15 through orchard road and that's if you walk fast. Whatever is 5 minutes walk from college is on campus, and from what I know, Farranlea is NOT. Besides, you can easily count the walking time on googlemaps. Their website is full of lies and i am truly shocked with it.
    6. Walls are paper thin, they say they're soundproofed but i'd advise them to look it up in a dictionary."

As you can see im a little sceptical after reading this!

My other option was going to be the village so if anyone has any info about the quality there, thatd be great too!

I can't say personally for Farranlea (though I did visit two separate apartments there, and they seemed fine! The kitchens were modern looking, and the bedrooms were big enough!)
    I lived in the Student Village for two years and loved it! They also say they're about a 5 minute walk from campus, which again is a lie, but it's only about 10 which is still really close. Gerry, the security guard, is the nicest you'll meet. The apartments are a little bit outdated but they're comfortable. If you have a complaint, they're sure to fix it. They're secure - you use your key fob to get through the gate, and your key for the building and your apartment. You can also lock your bedroom door, which I took advantage of every time I wasn't there. My bedroom was on the smaller side, but I was in an apartment of 6 rather than 5. The window in the living room looks out onto the green, in the center of the complex, which is nice, especially when it's sunny so it makes the room nice and bright. I was on the top floor of one block, so I didn't have to deal with any music from parties in other apartments, which I liked. When I first moved there, I found it noisy because I came from living in the countryside with no noise at all. If you're used to noise, you'll be fine. The only thing really was ambulances (it's located on a route to CUH).

Overall, it's one of the nicer places to live in, and that's including Vic Mills and Castlewhite. Vic Mills all have en-suites, as far as I'm aware, but other than that there's not much to it. I was in an apartment of 6, none of us had an en-suite, but I still only had to share my bathroom with one other person - there was no fighting over who got to use the shower first, like I can imagine happens a lot in Castlewhite! (only one bathroom for up to 6 people).

Hope this helps you in some way :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 Benm123

I can't say personally for Farranlea (though I did visit two separate apartments there, and they seemed fine! The kitchens were modern looking, and the bedrooms were big enough!)
    I lived in the Student Village for two years and loved it! They also say they're about a 5 minute walk from campus, which again is a lie, but it's only about 10 which is still really close. Gerry, the security guard, is the nicest you'll meet. The apartments are a little bit outdated but they're comfortable. If you have a complaint, they're sure to fix it. They're secure - you use your key fob to get through the gate, and your key for the building and your apartment. You can also lock your bedroom door, which I took advantage of every time I wasn't there. My bedroom was on the smaller side, but I was in an apartment of 6 rather than 5. The window in the living room looks out onto the green, in the center of the complex, which is nice, especially when it's sunny so it makes the room nice and bright. I was on the top floor of one block, so I didn't have to deal with any music from parties in other apartments, which I liked. When I first moved there, I found it noisy because I came from living in the countryside with no noise at all. If you're used to noise, you'll be fine. The only thing really was ambulances (it's located on a route to CUH).

Overall, it's one of the nicer places to live in, and that's including Vic Mills and Castlewhite. Vic Mills all have en-suites, as far as I'm aware, but other than that there's not much to it. I was in an apartment of 6, none of us had an en-suite, but I still only had to share my bathroom with one other person - there was no fighting over who got to use the shower first, like I can imagine happens a lot in Castlewhite! (only one bathroom for up to 6 people).

Hope this helps you in some way :)

Certainly very helpful, thanks very much. I think I might go with the Village, overall that seems to have the best reviews, and it seems closest to the gym which is always a plus!

You say you were in a room with 6 people but only had to share a bathroom with 1 other person? Does that mean there are a few bathrooms located in ine apartment? (I know there is at least one bathroom and an en-suite, but if there are more than 2 bathrooms apart from the en-suite then it may be just as good to book a room without an en suite?).

Also are the strict on letting people stay over? Do they have a rule where all non residents have to leave by a certain time and then arent let in unless signed in in advance?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭afriendlyshark

Benm123 wrote: »
    Certainly very helpful, thanks very much. I think I might go with the Village, overall that seems to have the best reviews, and it seems closest to the gym which is always a plus!

You say you were in a room with 6 people but only had to share a bathroom with 1 other person? Does that mean there are a few bathrooms located in ine apartment? (I know there is at least one bathroom and an en-suite, but if there are more than 2 bathrooms apart from the en-suite then it may be just as good to book a room without an en suite?).

Also are the strict on letting people stay over? Do they have a rule where all non residents have to leave by a certain time and then arent let in unless signed in in advance?

Well my apartment didn't have an en-suite, we were on the top floor and I don't think anyone on the top floor of any block had an en-suite. I shared with one other person only because the other four shared the other bathroom - there were two. It was three girls and three guys, and we were going to do 1 bathroom for the girls and one for the guys, but the other girl just used the other one because her bedroom was closer to it. My boyfriend had an en-suite in his apartment, and lived with four other guys. So between the four of them, they had a half bathroom (just a toilet and sink), a bathroom and I think a room with just a shower in it (not 100% sure on this, or if every apartment had this).

Regarding letting others stay over, they seemed pretty lax. I had a friend visit me a few weeks in, and you just had to give the person's name at reception, with how long they would be staying. This didn't seem completely necessary though, I only did it because I was afraid they were strict. There's no real way for them to know if you've someone staying or not, anyways. They were strict during RAG week, but I'm pretty sure every accommodation is. :)

i emailed Farranlea and they said they're full for the year grrr. Hopefully there's still space at Victoria Lodge or University Hall....

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Butterfly182

Hi, I was wondering if there was anyone looking for a house in the city centre from late August to early June? I'm starting my masters in secondary teaching in UCC next year so I'm looking for a reasonably priced house which will be quiet to study and prepare for lessons. I'm just finishing my BA in UCC at the moment so PM me if you are interested in also finding a place.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 R2015

Has anyone heard from Victoria mils yet? still waiting on a phone call

• Advertisement

R2015 wrote: »
    Has anyone heard from Victoria mils yet? still waiting on a phone call

I got offered my place two days ago, have you heard?

I got offered my place two days ago, have you heard?

Yep just got it yesterday!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Rebecca96

Hey everyone!

I'm moving to Cork in September for my first year at UCC and I'm totally freaking out about accommodation! I didn't know they book out so fast.. Is the village or the spires booked out yet? I'm not sure what to do at this point. Do i just fill out the form and see what happens or do i email them? Still waiting to hear back from Victoria Mills and I'm on Castlewhite's waiting list.

Did you get an email as confirmation of paying or anything??

Did you get an email as confirmation of paying or anything??

No I didn't ... Did you?? They said they sent out a questionnaire during the summer to see what roommates you'd fit well with so maybe it will come with that

• Registered Users Posts: 45 LauraKc

When did you apply because I applied really early and didn't get a place even though it's supposed to be first come first served and I know someone who got a place and applied after me...

LauraKc wrote: »
    When did you apply because I applied really early and didn't get a place even though it's supposed to be first come first served and I know someone who got a place and applied after me...

I applied at 9:01

• Registered Users Posts: 45 LauraKc

I applied at 9:01

Same! It's so unfair that just seconds decide who gets in and who doesn't. I am on the waiting list though... Does anybody know whether I am likely to get a place on the waiting list?

Where else in cork is good?

LauraKc wrote: »

I applied at 9:00 and got a place, I also know people that applied later and got a place while people who applied earlier didn't

• Registered Users Posts: 3 quartzxx7

Does anyone know how likely it is to get accommodation when you're on the waiting list? I've only applied to everywhere i can think of on campus yesterday and today but as I'm going to be a first year I wanted to be on campus and preferably with other 1st years. I was sure I was gonna get victoria mills but even thought i applied at 9.10 I didnt get a place :/ Starting to panic now as everywhere seems to be full!

• Advertisement

quartzxx7 wrote: »
    Does anyone know how likely it is to get accommodation when you're on the waiting list? I've only applied to everywhere i can think of on campus yesterday and today but as I'm going to be a first year I wanted to be on campus and preferably with other 1st years. I was sure I was gonna get victoria mills but even thought i applied at 9.10 I didnt get a place :/ Starting to panic now as everywhere seems to be full!

Have you tried The Spires? They're pretty mixed I think they told me that usually first years go on the bottom floors while the more mature/older students are on top. Still had space when I emailed them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 quartzx7

Does anyone know what Fullers Lodge is like? Is it generally 1st years or other years that go there? I'm finding it hard to find reviews on it so anything at all would be appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 2 green_apple

Does anyone know of any complexes that still have space? I don't mind being a bit of a walk (20-30 minutes) from UCC. A little worried as I haven't found accommodation yet and most places seem to be booked out.

Does anyone know of any complexes that still have space? I don't mind being a bit of a walk (20-30 minutes) from UCC. A little worried as I haven't found accommodation yet and most places seem to be booked out.

I've been told that all the major student accommodations in Cork have been booked up. Try looking for private residences.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭xLisaBx

Anyone else staying in Farranlea? :) It'd be nice to know a few future neighbours!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Laura218

Hi guys, I'm just wondering how likely it is to secure accommodation if you're on a waiting list? I've put my name down on a few waiting lists for student complexes in Cork. I'm aware that people just put their names down on waiting lists even if they're not certain that they'll be studying in UCC. With that in mind, I'm just wondering will there be space for students on waiting lists once the CAO offers come out? I'm just going into 1st Year and I'd prefer to be living in a student complex, not private accommodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭phobia2011

Hi guys,

Farranlea payment due today, almost 5k for accommodation & utilities!!!!!
    Is this place worth that? Any ideas or advice, much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭xLisaBx

phobia2011 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Farranlea payment due today, almost 5k for accommodation & utilities!!!!!
    Is this place worth that? Any ideas or advice, much appreciated.

Nice apartments, close to UCC and was cheaper last year. Its worth it when you compare it to Vic lodge or Vic mills :) Plus the WiFi is good! You in first year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Hector122

anyone looking for housemate(s)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Laura218

I'm looking for a housemate! I'm a 1st year doing arts. I'm desperate at this stage

Advertisement