Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Breast Feeding Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Medicare.ie. they're based in Wicklow but they deliver. Look up the friends if breastfeeding website for a list of LCs in your area. They have a buddy system too so see if your area is included. Also look for any breastfeeding groups. Other breastfeeding mothers are probably the best support you can have.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

Congrats on your baby and your efforts so far at b'feeding.

Why don't you try feeding every 3yrs so that he's not ravenous and getting frustrated so quickly.

Another thing to try is to get into bed with him, prop yourself up a bit on pillows so that you're comfy but not totally flat, lie him on your chest, a big higher than your boobs, he will wriggle and squirm to find your boobs himself. I also did this in a recliner seat in the sitting room on my 2nd as well as i had a toddler to watch over. It's a very natural position. There are videos on You Tube, it's amazing to watch how resourceful a new born baby is.

I also highly recommend a LC and a support group, try Ciudiu. The PHNs are hit & miss unfortunately but you might be lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Regarding the pump, you can hire direct from Medicare OR get it from a pharmacy - some pharmacies rent out the pumps on behalf of Medicare so it's easier then when returning it as you just return to pharmacy rather than Medicare in Kilmacanogue.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Whispered, could you give him an ounce of expressed in the bottle then switch to breast when he is calmer, with the ounce in his tummy?

I had to give colief drops for every feed so would have to make up the bottles, but when babies are hungry they sometimes are too worked up to find the nipple or latch - even when they are soley breastfed.

In my case, the ounce settled him down then he would happily root for the breast. You'll be less stressed if the baby is calmer too.

And maybe change the 4hr schedule to feeding on demand- . Offer him the breast for comfort too outside of feeds in lieu of a soother and he'll get the taste of it, and get the hang of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Thanks guys. There is a lot to think about. I am going to contact a consultant because even with the good advice, I think I'm too worked up over it. He get upset. I get upset etc

The four hourly feeds are not always four hourly. They are actually closer to three but yesterday he was having a snoozy day and I had to wake him for a feed, hence the four hours :)

• Advertisement

Whispered, definitely contact the LC. Regarding feeds, at that age I was pretty much feeding around the clock. Also when they say 3 hourly they mean 3 hours from the time the feed started, not ended. Just saying in case they didn't tell you in hospital because sometimes they don't! For me at the start, some feeds were taking nearly 90 minutes so I was starting the feeding cycle all over again in another 60-90 minutes. But even at that, it was rare when my baby wouldnt want another feed sooner. I think it was more like every 2 hours I was feeding. It's a learned skill so for the first while feeds can take a long time.

As Neyite said, just offer the breast all the time - even for comfort. Your nipples are nature's version of a soother. Did they show you in hospital how to distinguish between swallowing and just sucking? It's hard to know for sure at the start when they are taking in tiny quantities of milk.

With breastfeeding, you need to ignore schedules and just feed on demand. Schedules were created for formula babies - it just doesn't work with a bf baby until they are much older. And even at that, when going through a growth spurt or wonder week they can feed even more. got a great piece of advice when I attended a specific bf class given by a LC. Two weeks in the bed, two weeks on the bed and two weeks near the bed. She wasn't kidding. The first 6 weeks are the toughest but once you pass that it gets soooo much easier and bf is a doddle now. Good luck :)

100% agree with feeding on demand. It's so important in the early days. If babs wants to feed 20 mins after the next feed then just go with it. I tried to stick to a schedule on my first and had a very cranky baby. I fed my second on demand and she was much more placid and easy going.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

How do you feed when using a co sleeper crib/cot? Do you take the baby to your side or feed them with them on their side? I don't have a co sleeper crib but i do have a separate crib on my side of the bed. At the moment i feed baby in the bed and have to wait for baby to be in a deep sleep before transfer to the crib. Sometimes the transfer goes wrong and it means feeding to sleep again. Just wondering would a co sleeper help with transfer issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

bovril wrote: »
    How do you feed when using a co sleeper crib/cot? Do you take the baby to your side or feed them with them on their side? I don't have a co sleeper crib but i do have a separate crib on my side of the bed. At the moment i feed baby in the bed and have to wait for baby to be in a deep sleep before transfer to the crib. Sometimes the transfer goes wrong and it means feeding to sleep again. Just wondering would a co sleeper help with transfer issues.

Hi, I have a diy cosleeper crib - we just took one side off an IKEA crib and the mattress is the same height as our bed. I do also have issues with the transfer back but often it goes OK. I sit up in bed to feed him in my arms, it is easier to put him back since he's already up in my arms he doesn't get disturbed by lifting him. As the two mattresses are the same height, it is easy to lift him in and out while I'm sitting up. I have an extra pillow to prop me up when sitting. I do wait for him to be well asleep before transfer. Sometimes if I'm too wrecked to lift him out I lean onto the crib and feed him in there by lying my upper body on the crib mattress and feed him lying down. A bit odd looking but it works, no transfer issues. (I just hope it won't collapse under me!). A tip for transferring, when iv just put him down, I keep my hands on his chest for a while longer, it seems to settle him if he's half waking up. Then slowly remove my hands when he's quiet.

Thanks @madeinamerica. It was a blog I read where a lady had transformed an IKEA cot into a cosleeper which had me wondering. It looked the business. Not sure if the extra cost of getting a cosleeper would be worth it now given there are still transfer issues. I'm just gong to have to get better at transferring!

• Advertisement

I bought a mini cosleeper second hand when I was pregnant on my first child. I used it from 2-8 months on both babies and it was the best investment ever. I wanted them beside me as babies but not always in the bed as I couldn't sleep properly and my back was in bits from sleeping in a contorted position once too often.

I then loaned it to 3 different people who also thought it was brilliant so it definitely wasn't a fad or a waste of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Marz66

How's it going Whispered?

My 3 month old has a small cold. Feeding really badly - he wants his nose and throat completely clear before he'll feed. Feeds take ages, have to stop mid feed to apply vapour rub etc. 10 o clock feed is going on so long, he is going to sleep then missing his 12 o'clock feed. Trying to feed him as often as possible anyway and going to doctor to be sure he's ok tomorrow. Even though he's sleepy he's alert when he's awake.

Anyway as a result of poor feeding, my supply has decreased so I've started expressing and that's brought it back up.

Would it be normal for a cold to disrupt feeding this much?

Thanks @madeinamerica. It was a blog I read where a lady had transformed an IKEA cot into a cosleeper which had me wondering. It looked the business. Not sure if the extra cost of getting a cosleeper would be worth it now given there are still transfer issues. I'm just gong to have to get better at transferring!

I swear I'm not that blogger but it sounds like we did the same thing! I've attached a pic of our set up here.

For me, the cosleeper is a major thing. I think I makes my life so much easier. No need to get out of bed! I just have to turn over and I can see him and if he gets a bit fussy at night I can just put my hand out to calm him. And to feed him it's easier, like i said just sit up and turn to pick him up or lean in and feed. When he was smaller I used to change him there too, great for middle of night, just have a few nappies and wipes at the top of my bed. I think I would be so much more sleep deprived if I had to get out of bed each time. We got the cheapest ikea crib and their hardest mattress.

I swear I'm not that blogger but it sounds like we did the same thing! I've attached a pic of our set up here.

For me, the cosleeper is a major thing. I think I makes my life so much easier. No need to get out of bed! I just have to turn over and I can see him and if he gets a bit fussy at night I can just put my hand out to calm him. And to feed him it's easier, like i said just sit up and turn to pick him up or lean in and feed. When he was smaller I used to change him there too, great for middle of night, just have a few nappies and wipes at the top of my bed. I think I would be so much more sleep deprived if I had to get out of bed each time. We got the cheapest ikea crib and their hardest mattress.

Your setup is seriously cool. Here is the blog post I saw and it uses the cheapest cot too. http://amandamedlin.com/2013/11/diy-co-sleeper-pretty-little-quilt/

If I did end up going down the co sleeper route I'd have wasted money on my existing crib, mattress and sheets :( . Also I use an angelcare monitor which I understand can't be used with a co sleeper as it would pick up my breathing. The dilemma continues! The thoughts of a bit more sleep are making the co sleeper so tempting!!

Your setup is seriously cool. Here is the blog post I saw and it uses the cheapest cot too. http://amandamedlin.com/2013/11/diy-co-sleeper-pretty-little-quilt/

If I did end up going down the co sleeper route I'd have wasted money on my existing crib, mattress and sheets :( . Also I use an angelcare monitor which I understand can't be used with a co sleeper as it would pick up my breathing. The dilemma continues! The thoughts of a bit more sleep are making the co sleeper so tempting!!

Yeah, I know it is hard when you've already bought stuff. Good luck with whatever you decide.

The crib in the blog looks so nice! I'd love to be that crafty. She does make a good point: if you do go with a cosleeper make sure it is well attached to your bed so bubs doesn't fall between the two! We have ours wedged up beside the bed by a chair that is wedged beside the wall, if you follow.

Yeah, I know it is hard when you've already bought stuff. Good luck with whatever you decide.

The crib in the blog looks so nice! I'd love to be that crafty. She does make a good point: if you do go with a cosleeper make sure it is well attached to your bed so bubs doesn't fall between the two! We have ours wedged up beside the bed by a chair that is wedged beside the wall, if you follow.

Do you plan on using the cot you use as a co sleeper as a cot in the future or have you thought that far ahead?

Do you plan on using the cot you use as a co sleeper as a cot in the future or have you thought that far ahead?

Yeah, we got a big one with the intention of having him still sleep in it when he gets bigger. We'll just put the fourth side back on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

Marz66 wrote: »
    How's it going Whispered?

My 3 month old has a small cold. Feeding really badly - he wants his nose and throat completely clear before he'll feed. Feeds take ages, have to stop mid feed to apply vapour rub etc. 10 o clock feed is going on so long, he is going to sleep then missing his 12 o'clock feed. Trying to feed him as often as possible anyway and going to doctor to be sure he's ok tomorrow. Even though he's sleepy he's alert when he's awake.

Anyway as a result of poor feeding, my supply has decreased so I've started expressing and that's brought it back up.

Would it be normal for a cold to disrupt feeding this much?

Maybe steam up the bathroom and feed him in there? Might help to clear his breathing. Where are you applying the vapour rub? The soles of the feet inside socks is supposed to be quite effective.

Thanks - I tried the bathroom but it didn't work. I put the vapour rub on his throat but I will try the socks trick, thanks!

He's not bad but won't feed til his throat is fully clear. The snufflebabe is great though, works most of the time!

Did you try some saline spray?

• Advertisement

tinkerbell wrote: »
    Did you try some saline spray?
    I did thanks. Just surprised a cold was enough to reduce my supply I suppose. It meant out of sorts sleepy baby had to work harder for milk. The expressing brought supply up again anyway so he's not too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

My little man only wakes up once in 11-12hrs now for a feed. He is 12 wks. While this is brilliant, I now struggle with engorgement. I thought supply equated demand and my supply would reduce. I now take my pump to bed with me. Wake up in bits with v super sore leaky boobs. Does my supply adjust eventually? It's been 4/5 days now -baby sleeping thro the nite.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

73trix wrote: »
    My little man only wakes up once in 11-12hrs now for a feed. He is 12 wks. While this is brilliant, I now struggle with engorgement. I thought supply equated demand and my supply would reduce. I now take my pump to bed with me. Wake up in bits with v super sore leaky boobs. Does my supply adjust eventually? It's been 4/5 days now -baby sleeping thro the nite.

It will adjust eventually. Just make sure you're only pumping enough to relieve the pain. If you take too much you'll increasing demand too. Maybe a little hand expressing might do instead of the pump? The good news is if you pump milk to store in freezer you'll get loads when you wake in the morning! :)

Best to just hand express a little before you go to bed just to take the edge off. Your body will adjust. Then when you go through a growth spurt and baby wakes at night again your body will produce more milk again and when your baby gets over that spurt and starts sleeping through, your boobs will be rock solid all over again in the morning! It only lasts a few days :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

Any advice for weaning off the breast but maintaining a feed or 2? Planning ahead
    as considering finishing up at 4 months. Part of my reason is to start ttc again. I would love to keep it up but concerned that it is delaying my ability to conceive again. Given my age (41) i don't wish to wait too long to try for no 2. Again, always something to complicate matters!

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭FurBabyMomma

I'm at the end of my tether and really need advice.

My daughter is 13 weeks today and exclusively bf. It was always my intention to bf her up to a year, using mainly expressed milk when I return to work after 6 months.

All the professionals advised me to wait until 6 weeks so as not to cause problems with my supply. Due to issues with my hands I had to wait til 9 weeks as this was when my electric pump finally arrived. Of course now they are telling me I should have started straight away :mad:

The issue is she will not accept the expressed bottle at all. She screams and roars and gets hysterical. We've tried different teats but that doesn't seem to be the issue; sometimes she will latch and suck for a second but won't swallow any milk she gets in her mouth. It's mainly her dad who feeds her (I've also tried a couple of times and so has my mil) and it's truly horrendous for him - he tells me he "feels like a child abuser" and gets so distressed.

She's also going through a growth spurt and for the last week is feeding for over an hour at a time with only 2.5hrs between feeds. I'm exhausted and stressed out as I've a course day in Dublin on 25th Jan - how do I get her bottle trained by then???? It's really getting me down.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭margo321

I don't know if this would help at all but maybe put some of the milk on the bottle nipple or glucose like they do in hospital. Or maybe bf some bit to calm baby then switch to bottle. I use Mam's bottles and mostly bf and baby is happy to take both. Good luck.
    I'm
    the end of my tether and really need advice.

My daughter is 13 weeks today and exclusively bf. It was always my intention to bf her up to a year, using mainly expressed milk when I return to work after 6 months.

All the professionals advised me to wait until 6 weeks so as not to cause problems with my supply. Due to issues with my hands I had to wait til 9 weeks as this was when my electric pump finally arrived. Of course now they are telling me I should have started straight away :mad:

The issue is she will not accept the expressed bottle at all. She screams and roars and gets hysterical. We've tried different teats but that doesn't seem to be the issue; sometimes she will latch and suck for a second but won't swallow any milk she gets in her mouth. It's mainly her dad who feeds her (I've also tried a couple of times and so has my mil) and it's truly horrendous for him - he tells me he "feels like a child abuser" and gets so distressed.

She's also going through a growth spurt and for the last week is feeding for over an hour at a time with only 2.5hrs between feeds. I'm exhausted and stressed out as I've a course day in Dublin on 25th Jan - how do I get her bottle trained by then???? It's really getting me down.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭FurBabyMomma

margo321 wrote: »
    I don't know if this would help at all but maybe put some of the milk on the bottle nipple or glucose like they do in hospital. Or maybe bf some bit to calm baby then switch to bottle. I use Mam's bottles and mostly bf and baby is happy to take both. Good luck.

Hi Margo, I've tried the switch and at the end of a feed but all she does is hold it in her mouth, swirl it around and look at me as if I'm crazy - better than screaming though lol. I haven't ever heard about glucose though, can you explain a bit more?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Hi Margo, I've tried the switch and at the end of a feed but all she does is hold it in her mouth, swirl it around and look at me as if I'm crazy - better than screaming though lol. I haven't ever heard about glucose though, can you explain a bit more?

Hiya... I really don't envy you. I had an awful time trying to get my little girl to take a bottle of EBM. She took a bottle of
    EBM at night for the first couple weeks of her life and then I stopped giving her the bottle altogether. When we went to try her again at around 3 months it was extremely hard, upsetting and frustrating.

Apparently the little ones learn how to assert themselves in their second month of life... I put the refusal of bottles down to this. And apparently as you have said, you'd need to be getting them used to a bottle before this phase. I found the MAM bottles finally worked for us with A LOT of perseverance... Everyday.... For a couple of months and then she finally took it. My girl was very stubborn and it can be very stressful. Here's a thread with some tips from parents who have gone through the same thing. Best of luck.

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057216333/1/#post90530337

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

Have you tried the ebm heated and room temp? I have heard of people being successful using a syringe/dropper and open top cup.

Advertisement