Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Champix - anyone tried it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Cazzeboo

I am on day 11 of taking Champix. I have smoked 20-30 a day for over 25 years now. Smoking is a way of life for me. I have been smoking less (15 or so??) since I started the 1mg per day, but tried to stop today and by lunch time caved in, it wasn't a physical craving, my silly mind just told me its not quit day so why shouldn't I have one..LOL. Now I am stressing and hauling myself over the coals because I didn't have the willpower. I seem to be able to convince myself the sky is green when I REALLY want something.
    My quit day was day 8, then 10 but now I have decided day 12. What I have gained from this thread is that I should possibly not stress too much, but continue to psychologically prepare myself? I think the Champix will help with the chemical addiction but I think I need put in MAJOR effort to kick the psycholigical addiciton.
    Side effects? I have experienced the vivid dreams which I really enjoy as I haven't remembered a dream for about 4 years. Night sweats and feeling nauseous and dizzy just after I have taken the tablet I can handle!

So now should I move quit day to day 14 rather......hmmmmmm?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Tip

Cazzeboo I hope you stuck with your plan and quit. I went through a similar experience when I was on Champix. I kept reading on various forums all these people had cut their smoking down to 2/3 cigs per day after being on champix for a week or so. My quit day was day 14 and I smoked my usual 20 right up to that day, of course I thought I could not quit on day 14 but went with it and Presto I'm still off them 2yrs 8mths. It took some will power but I found champix brilliant. Keep with your own plan and just quit. You can do it and I gurantee you, you will not regret it. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭Yellowledbetter

Im off them 4 weeks now thanks to Champix. I sometimes get the dodgy stomach if I take the tabs without food etc but other than that the only side effect Ive had is the mad vivid,3D style dreams. Truth be told Il miss them when I go off the tabs!! :D
    Im half way through my second pack now,Im gonna take my third pack as normal then probably get a 4th pack and slowly scale back my usage--1 pill a day for a week or so,then half a pill a day for a few weeks. Ive spoken to many people who have used Champix and based on different people saying different things about coming off them,I reckon this is a good way to go about coming off them. One of my mates said he got 3 months worth of cravings in 2 days when he came off the normal 12-14 week course of them when he just stopped so I dont know why they dont suggest coming off them gradually.

3 months and 2 weeks off them now,really cant believe it. Stopped taking the tabs just after Crimbo,didnt even finish my third pack of them in the end. Get the odd craving once in a while now but it only lasts for 3 mins or so then its gone so I can happily cope with that.
    Delighted I gave Champix a try as in my Fiance who is off them 6 weeks longer than I am.
    Feel so much better and we are saving a small fortune between us,onwards and upwards!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

Was prescribed Champix two weeks ago and still trying to pluck up the courage to start them. I'm terrified of the idea of the bad dreams etc, but intend on starting them soon. I feel like I keep putting it off, saying I'll do it after such and such event.
    I know the €70 odd I will save from not smoking will really help me out of a hole I'm in, I just hope it's not a weak reason to want to give up.
    Anyone in same situation as me or would anyone offer any advice??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 ewanalex

m'lady wrote: »
    Was prescribed Champix two weeks ago and still trying to pluck up the courage to start them. I'm terrified of the idea of the bad dreams etc, but intend on starting them soon. I feel like I keep putting it off, saying I'll do it after such and such event.
    I know the €70 odd I will save from not smoking will really help me out of a hole I'm in, I just hope it's not a weak reason to want to give up.

Hi, I must admit i was terrified to start them too, i had the prescribtion for a while before i tried them, and in fact i even went as far as to give the chemist my prescribtion and tell them i'm not ready yet and will be back soon to collect the Champix, i told him to keep it on file until i feel ready. he made me feel very calm and told me thats completely normal. I reckon i was more afraid of them actually working! As i didnt really want to quite i reckon... but so happy i did. I get absolutely no cravings at all now. And i have tried a fag since i quit and it made me so sick. (thankfully!)

Why dont you go and speak with your pharmacist, mine was brilliant, i could go down and ask him anything and he was so supportive and made me feel much better when i explained i felt like i wanted to scream with temper sometimes over nothing. I never went onto the 2 tablets a day and yes it took me longer than normal to quit but it was the advise of my pharmacist and it erally helped. Go and have a chat with your local chemist and explain how your feeling.
    As for the bad dreams, its not so much theyre bad or scary theyre just very vivid, this did wear off for me i think (i cant fully remember now) but i dont think it put me off. The nausiness put me off but i learned that if you eat while taking the tablet in the morning with a full glass of water, it helped, i did heave the odd day but taht was it. And honestly besides my bad mood i dont think it was that bad at all. I am only being told about my bad moods lately, i thought i was fine :)

• Advertisement

ewanalex wrote: »

Hi, I must admit i was terrified to start them too, i had the prescribtion for a while before i tried them, and in fact i even went as far as to give the chemist my prescribtion and tell them i'm not ready yet and will be back soon to collect the Champix, i told him to keep it on file until i feel ready. he made me feel very calm and told me thats completely normal. I reckon i was more afraid of them actually working! As i didnt really want to quite i reckon... but so happy i did. I get absolutely no cravings at all now. And i have tried a fag since i quit and it made me so sick. (thankfully!)

Why dont you go and speak with your pharmacist, mine was brilliant, i could go down and ask him anything and he was so supportive and made me feel much better when i explained i felt like i wanted to scream with temper sometimes over nothing. I never went onto the 2 tablets a day and yes it took me longer than normal to quit but it was the advise of my pharmacist and it erally helped. Go and have a chat with your local chemist and explain how your feeling.
    As for the bad dreams, its not so much theyre bad or scary theyre just very vivid, this did wear off for me i think (i cant fully remember now) but i dont think it put me off. The nausiness put me off but i learned that if you eat while taking the tablet in the morning with a full glass of water, it helped, i did heave the odd day but taht was it. And honestly besides my bad mood i dont think it was that bad at all. I am only being told about my bad moods lately, i thought i was fine :)

Thanks so much for your reply, your advice was very helpful. Just another quick question if I may, I'm currently going through a lot of upheaval in my life ( job, house move etc), would you think I'd be better off starting them when my life is more stable?! I know, I know I'm sounding like I'm trying to delay starting them but I don't wanna be like a bull either!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Thanks so much for your reply, your advice was very helpful. Just another quick question if I may, I'm currently going through a lot of upheaval in my life ( job, house move etc), would you think I'd be better off starting them when my life is more stable?! I know, I know I'm sounding like I'm trying to delay starting them but I don't wanna be like a bull either!!

If you don't pick a day to start, then you won't start!

I found I had just vivid dreams and slight nausea (cured by taking the tablets with a drink and some food). I had also just started a new job, and moved.
    I say go for it - take your first pill tonight.

I started on Champix in February of last year. I got prescriptions for a full 12 weeks, but in reality at 8 weeks into them, I started cutting down on the dosage from 2 pills per day to 1.5 to 1 etc over the course of a week. Then I just forgot to take them.

I stopped smoking at 10 days in to the treatment, and haven't smoked since - just under a year ago.

Pkiernan wrote: »

If you don't pick a day to start, then you won't start!

I found I had just vivid dreams and slight nausea (cured by taking the tablets with a drink and some food). I had also just started a new job, and moved.
    I say go for it - take your first pill tonight.

I started on Champix in February of last year. I got prescriptions for a full 12 weeks, but in reality at 8 weeks into them, I started cutting down on the dosage from 2 pills per day to 1.5 to 1 etc over the course of a week. Then I just forgot to take them.

I stopped smoking at 10 days in to the treatment, and haven't smoked since - just under a year ago.

Thanks for your reply, u are right! I just guess I'm feeling I'm not 'psyched' up enough, but I know what you mean, and I know if I don't pick a date I will be smoking this time next year, which I don't want. Thanks again :)

Today was day 3 on champix.. Finally plucked up the courage to start them! I am definitely smoking a little bit less already, not a major amount but still less. I'm home from work since 7.30 and have only had 2 cigarettes, whereas I reckon I'd have had about 6/8 previously.

I haven't been nauseous, and feeling like I'm just not getting the 'hit' off a cigarette as I'd usually get. I'm not sure if this is just in my head or if it's the tablets?!

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭celticcrash

21 days off them today. The last two days there was a lot of pressure and stress on me. I thought I was going to have a heart attack but I did not pick up a fag. If I can get through that I think I can get through anything.
    I quick walk for 25 minutes every second day. I am feeling a lot better but my health is slow to pick up. I still have pains in the chest area, but I was checked out in the hospital last year, ecg treadmill and ultrasound and bloods passed. It could be that I have low blood pressure. Sorry its late and I am tired and I am starting to ramble. Stick with it if your finding it tough it gets better.

• Advertisement

I'm feeling very tired after taking the tablets, did anyone else experience this? I'm day 6 tomorrow and am feeling like I was smoking less on days 2-4 than now... All I'm feeling is thirsty and tired!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 kelly7906

I'm feeling very tired after taking the tablets, did anyone else experience this? I'm day 6 tomorrow and am feeling like I was smoking less on days 2-4 than now... All I'm feeling is thirsty and tired!

Well done you! I'm on day 9 of the champix, I still get very thirsty (at least all the water is helping me detox) and still getting very tired with the weirdest dreams ever! I stopped smoking on day 3 of the course. When you stop smoking maybe try chewing some sugar-free gum for a little bit, I find thats really helping me with the cravings.

But good luck to you, keep up the strength, I personally dont miss the way I used to smell :)

kelly7906 wrote: »

Well done you! I'm on day 9 of the champix, I still get very thirsty (at least all the water is helping me detox) and still getting very tired with the weirdest dreams ever! I stopped smoking on day 3 of the course. When you stop smoking maybe try chewing some sugar-free gum for a little bit, I find thats really helping me with the cravings.

But good luck to you, keep up the strength, I personally dont miss the way I used to smell :)

Thanks! Well I'm still smoking but already the smell is much more noticeable to me! I just wish I had less cravings and I'm finding it weird that the first couple of days seemed to be more effective than now?

Well done to you, how are ya finding it?

Thanks! Well I'm still smoking but already the smell is much more noticeable to me! I just wish I had less cravings and I'm finding it weird that the first couple of days seemed to be more effective than now?

Im finding the whole thing relatively easy I spose. My partner does not smoke, in fact he HATES it, so Im lucky there, and no one at my office smokes either, so there have not been too many exposures to it. I went to have a drink with a mate the other day though, and that was a bit tough I gotta say, I was chewing gum like mad!

There are little things I'm noticing like my skin is looking better, and I used to get headaches everyday which seem to wearing off now as well.

I live in South Africa and smoking here is becoming a big social taboo so for me there are only positives to stopping. And everytime I crave, I just go through my mental checklist of negatives.

Its so worth stopping, its hard, but worth it! Hang in there, you can do it!

Im finding the whole thing relatively easy I spose. My partner does not smoke, in fact he HATES it, so Im lucky there, and no one at my office smokes either, so there have not been too many exposures to it. I went to have a drink with a mate the other day though, and that was a bit tough I gotta say, I was chewing gum like mad!

There are little things I'm noticing like my skin is looking better, and I used to get headaches everyday which seem to wearing off now as well.

I live in South Africa and smoking here is becoming a big social taboo so for me there are only positives to stopping. And everytime I crave, I just go through my mental checklist of negatives.

Its so worth stopping, its hard, but worth it! Hang in there, you can do it!

Yes I'll keep at it! I guess I thought the champix would be a little more effective to what they are proving to be for me. My partner also doesn't smoke thankfully, and most of my colleagues and friends don't either so that should make it easier. I'm just thinking should I try do it without the champix perhaps, seen as they don't appear to be doing much for me!

Yes I'll keep at it! I guess I thought the champix would be a little more effective to what they are proving to be for me. My partner also doesn't smoke thankfully, and most of my colleagues and friends don't either so that should make it easier. I'm just thinking should I try do it without the champix perhaps, seen as they don't appear to be doing much for me!

Well you are only on Day 6, I did not notice a huge difference then either, but it was Day 8 & 9 for me over the weekend (when I would be smoking the most) and I noticed that I literally only craved ciggies twice the whole weekend. I stopped smoking on Day 3 of the course, and I was seriously craving until the end of last week, then all of a sudden almost not at all. I really think they are working.

Well you are only on Day 6, I did not notice a huge difference then either, but it was Day 8 & 9 for me over the weekend (when I would be smoking the most) and I noticed that I literally only craved ciggies twice the whole weekend. I stopped smoking on Day 3 of the course, and I was seriously craving until the end of last week, then all of a sudden almost not at all. I really think they are working.

What made you quit on day 3 can I ask?
    Also do u find a strange taste in your mouth??

What made you quit on day 3 can I ask?
    Also do u find a strange taste in your mouth??

I started taking the pills on Saturday 11/02/12. I ran out of smokes on the Sunday night, so thought well no time like the present, so have not had a cigarette from Monday 13/02/2012 :D
    Had no strange tastes in my mouth last night, just always really thirsty.

Day 8 and still really can't see a difference in my smoking! I'm hoping by the dosage increasing to the 1mg it might make a difference. Am so disappointed :(

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭billyduk

Derfil wrote: »
    Tried them for a while but the dreams were just too much to take in the end. Really strange and vivid stuff. Ended up having to stop taking them they were so bad. The worst one was I'd married a crow. Still see it lying in the bed beside me with its head on the pillow talking to me. Final straw was when the crow was killed in a stampede on the pitch in Croke Park after we won the All Ireland. It wasn't so much the crow being killed but the fact that we'd won an All Ireland which was the strangest part.

Hehehe! I have had a reoccurring vivid dream for years about a penguin (that looks like a pixar penguin and not a real one) that is my best mate but everyone else hates him and wants to kill him.

On Champix DAY 1 so I'll keep people posted on how i get on.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,319 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Haven't read the full thread but my missus just gave up using Champix, well started. We were told by the doctor that you had to force yourself to keep smoking for the first two weeks for them to be effective. 5 days in and she has no cravings at all, not trying to not smoke but forgets to smoke and when she does she doesn't enjoy it, not in a sick way but just can't be bothered standing there.

Anyone else get this advce from their doctor?

Also the bad dreams are constant since she started, as well as her general mood being as extremely back and forth as a pendulum, focusing mainly on the negative side. can she stop taking the Champix as soon as the desire is gone or how long should she keep it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭jgbyr

You need to take the full 3 months course or you may slip up.That's what my doctor said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭rebecca 30

I am 4 years off the ciggs , thanks to champix , BEST thing I ever did, keep it up everyone & e70 per week, is e3640 per year , think of the holidays you could have for that !!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭chieftan65

5 weeks off the smokes thanks to champix. They are very good people but you still need a certain amount of will power and a whole lot of want power. If your not happy your not smoking and always feel sorry for yourself cause you miss the fags then champix or nothing else will help cause your simply not ready to give them up. best of luck everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭cars701

Hey everyone; haven't commented in a while; still off the "lung damagers" (as my 9 yr old son calls them !); am absolutely delighted with myself; cannot believe it - thanks to Champix; when I get any sort of craving (which is very rare) I just tell myself - YOU ARE NOT MISSING ANYTHING GOOD - and trust me guys you are not; try to focus on the negative of smoking; health, money, odour; STICK WITH IT EVERYONE IT'S SOOOO WORTH IT; and remember you REALLY ARE NOT MISSING OUT ON ANYTHING BY NOT SMOKING; Good luck to all. Oh, by the way am off them since June of last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭moany

Started Champix on the 8th of March and stopped smoking on the 18th of march. I havent once thought about having one since, was worried about the cravings that the body goes through at first and nothing. People talk about mood swings but I have been ok. The first step is telling the doctor you want to stop and keep that in your head.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,319 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

My OH is off the Champix after 3 weeks but is not smoking and does not seem inclined too whatsoever, even in stress situations that would have made her go for it before.
    moany wrote: »
    People talk about mood swings but I have been ok.

While they work great, the mood swings were bad and continue for a short time after coming off them but not as bad, in relation to what you said, my OH did not notice or realise she was having mood swings, it was not pleasant for myself or daughter but worth it to have her stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 ourweeboy

How was your appetite? I worry about weight gain ( foolish - I know)

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭mitsybaby

ourweeboy wrote: »
    How was your appetite? I worry about weight gain ( foolish - I know)

I'm off them 2 years thanks to champix!! Best thing I ever did, they made it really easy to stop! However I did put on some weight... Probably about a stone and a half! It wasn't as bad as some people, I didn't feel the need to eat all around me you know, although my sweet tooth got worse!! Lol... If I put the effort on and excercise I'll lose the weight... It's a small price to pay to be off the smokes tho, I think.... Good luck..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 ourweeboy

Awe no... I hoped it might turn us off food too :)...I'll still try it I think!

Advertisement