Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Roscommon GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

That was a huge result for Roscommon. Looking in on Kildare/Meaths form I believe both of those are beatable. I'd fancy the Roscommon forwards to take both their defences. Promotion whisper it quietly is a real possibility. I had Ros picked for a win. Think Cavan are decent n Down played poor for most of the Kildare game.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Jampip

That was a huge result for Roscommon. Looking in on Kildare/Meaths form I believe both of those are beatable. I'd fancy the Roscommon forwards to take both their defences. Promotion whisper it quietly is a real possibility. I had Ros picked for a win. Think Cavan are decent n Down played poor for most of the Kildare game.

Galway could be the dark horses in Division 2 for promotion I think. I expect them to go top today with a win against Westmeath.

It's going to be a tight division and I still think there'll be a few surprise results like there was in the opening weekend. A lot of counties still have players to come back so could improve after the 3 week break.

Westmeath, Laois and possibly Down for relegation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

great win. Can we push on. I really think the Kiltoom pitch is going to hold us back.
    We'd be getting a good crowd into the Hyde.
    I think people are underestimating Westmeath.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    great win. Can we push on. I really think the Kiltoom pitch is going to hold us back.

Why do you think the Kiltoom pitch will hold us back?

I can't see us getting a good crowd in d Hyde, 2 or 3 thousand is lost in the Hyde whereas in Kiktoom that crowd creates a much better atmosphere.We would be getting similar attendances no matter where we play.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Jampip

Westmeath didn't win a competitive game last year in 8 matches between league and championship.

They played a weak Cavan team missing 8/9 players in the qualifiers and lost. You saw what Roscommon did to that Cavan team two weeks later in Breffni.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

yabadabado wrote: »
    Why do you think the Kiltoom pitch will hold us back?

I can't see us getting a good crowd in d Hyde, 2 or 3 thousand is lost in the Hyde whereas in Kiktoom that crowd creates a much better atmosphere.We would be getting similar attendances no matter where we play.

You're right about the crowd, 2,500 or thereabouts is probably as much a crowd is going to turn up for a normal league game regardless of whether it's Kiltoom or the Hyde. Kiltoom is a much tighter pitch however, which doesn't suit our style of play as well as the likes of the wide expanses of a bigger pitch like the Hyde or Pairc Esler. I was in Kiltoom last Sunday and can't say that the atmosphere wasn't that great that it generated an advantage for Roscommon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

It was ten times better than the Hyde in terms of atmosphere. Simple volume can tell you the crowds we get are better suited to a Kiltoom rather than the Hyde. 3k is no home advantage at all in the cavernous Hyde. We should be playing all our league games in Kiltoom.

If anyone thinks the swampy pitch at the Hyde suits our game better than a decent pitch in Kiltoom then you've either never even walked on the Hyde's pitch in February/March or talked to the players. Size matters for nothing when the pitch is soft and greasy. Players and supporters hate the Hyde at this stage.

Any opportunity to avoid playing there should be taken - our record at all levels is far better in Kiltoom than the Hyde.

I remember Roscommon getting 5000+ vs the Dubs back in the day in the Hyde.

I remember Roscommon getting 5000+ vs the Dubs back in the day in the Hyde.

I remember being at a game between the sides around 2000 and it had a good atmosphere and big attendance.Huge Dublin crowd traveled as well,it was one of the only times I can remember a big crowd around from an opposing side the night before.

If we got into Div 1 I could see us getting much larger crowds for the league games but at this time I think Kiltoom is much better suited to our needs.
    1500- 2000 in Kiltoom is a much better atmosphere than similar or double the crowd in the Hyde.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Real pity about the 3 week break. No chance to build on the momentum of the big away win

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Syferus wrote: »
    It was ten times better than the Hyde in terms of atmosphere. Simple volume can tell you the crowds we get are better suited to a Kiltoom rather than the Hyde. 3k is no home advantage at all in the cavernous Hyde. We should be playing all our league games in Kiltoom.

If anyone thinks the swampy pitch at the Hyde suits our game better than a decent pitch in Kiltoom then you've either never even walked on the Hyde's pitch in February/March or talked to the players. Size matters for nothing when the pitch is soft and greasy. Players and supporters hate the Hyde at this stage.

Any opportunity to avoid playing there should be taken - our record at all levels is far better in Kiltoom than the Hyde.

I've played winter football in the Hyde so I'm aware of the surface. I'm not saying the Hyde is Camp Nou, what I'm saying is that I didn't see the huge atmosphere generated in Kiltoom, apart from a couple of roars for late points or the odd dodgy refereeing decision. Our record at Kiltoom counts for SFA in my opinion. We haven't played there often enough in the last decade for it to form any tangible sort of pattern. Kiltoom is a very fine ground but I just don't know if the tight pitch suited us against Cavan. I'll be glad to be proven wrong against Meath the next day!

It's excellent timing with all the knicks we have. Gives Donie three weeks to get fitter still and the likes of Higgins and Keenan get closer to fitness. We're operating with about 20% of our first choice 20 half-fit or inured right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

the most amazing thing to me is how much roscommon have moved on from that minor winning team of 2006. only one of the team (carty) was playing against cavan and only two (carty and donie shine) were playing last night...team is now back-boned by the under 21 teams from 2010, 12 and last year. carty and donie playing major roles in that 2010 team of course.

looking back on previous years in division 2 and what we need to secure division 2 football next year:
    5 points kept galway up last year but armagh went down on 5 with worse points difference
    2013 armagh stayed up with 6, wexford went down with 5
    2012 derry stayed up with 5 points, meath went down on 4
    2011 meath stayed up with 3 points on points difference
    2010 kildare stayed up with 6 points while tipp went down on 5
    2009 even though laois stayed up on 6 they would have been safe on 4

• Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

Looking from outside I think Roscommon should be aiming for promotion. I'd be surprised if ye ended up in the bottom half of the table.

I think the systems in the county are now set up to produce good U21 players rather than minor.
    You get more players for senior that way

Dom, Higgins and Keenan would be starting if they were fit and available, the later two should be before the league is over. DOG would be making a serious contribution hadn't he taken a year out too. Still lots for those players to give in primrose, they took us from the depths to a having a platform for the Smiths, Murtaghs and Harneys of the county to be able to come into a settled squad and shine.

FOD was talking about our approach to U17 development before the U21 AI final last year - there are thing we need to be doing at those grades to ensure players are ready for U21, it's all one big system from U14 to U21 and everything needs to be continually looked at and improved upon. I have faith we are staying on the ball on that front, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,592 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Great result for the Rossies today.

If we beat Cavan there really would be proper talk of a potential promotion. Still in a good position for it at the same time, when you look at it game for game if we turn up for the rest of the season we wouldn't be far off

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Hi lads thinking of driving over to the Hyde on Sunday to watch the Royals beat ye :D
    Never been there before where's the best place to park? Been looking on google maps and Hannons Hotel seems to have a lot of space and near the ground. I assume they're sound enough to GAA fans parking there? Also somewhere daycent to watch the rugby?

iDave wrote: »
    Hi lads thinking of driving over to the Hyde on Sunday to watch the Royals beat ye :D
    Never been there before where's the best place to park? Been looking on google maps and Hannons Hotel seems to have a lot of space and near the ground. I assume they're sound enough to GAA fans parking there? Also somewhere daycent to watch the rugby?

I'd park in town (free parking! everywhere!) and walk out to the ground. then walk back in after. Only 6/7 mins.
    by the time the rugby game is over the traffic will have disappeared.

• Advertisement

Yeah free parking everywhere in the town so no problems there. You could park at the back of Casey's about 5 min walk to the ground or maybe park in Tesco car park and walk out which will take about 9/10 mins but you will be right be beside main street if you wanna head into a pub.
    Kelly's just off the square is a good spot to watch a match,usually has a big crowd after Ros matches and several TV's to show the rugby.

Game is on at 1pm .Anyone know the reason it was changed ?

yabadabado wrote: »
    Game is on at 1pm .Anyone know the reason it was changed ?

get more people to come instead of staying home to watch the rugby ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Well lads what do ye make of the league campaign so far?

Seems to be a mix of the good (down), the bad (Laois), and the middling (cavan). I haven't been able to get to any of the games yet but the issue of breaking ball still seems to be the major problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

Well lads what do ye make of the league campaign so far?

Seems to be a mix of the good (down), the bad (Laois), and the middling (cavan). I haven't been able to get to any of the games yet but the issue of breaking ball still seems to be the major problem?

Midfield, Midfield, Midfield

• Registered Users Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭megadodge

Great result for Roscommon CBS today.

Connacht 'A' champions.

They beat Summerhill by 1 point to win their first 'A' championship since 1998.

As I've been saying for a while, Roscommon football is on the up at all grades.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭megadodge

Great result today v Kildare in Newbridge.
    Only caught the end of it on Shannonside, but by all accounts Roscommon were very impressive and fully deserving victors.

They really have to sort out the inconsistency in performances though, arguably the two least likely places to go get a result in they win, but the most likely they lose.

Anybody at it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Listened to it on Shannonside also. I say listen, Willie was in his usual fine self. Only think I took from the commentary is that Cathal Cregg is the new gooch.

great stuff

• Advertisement

All in all a good start to life in D2, even with a point dropped at home and the loss last week. We delivered in the two toughest games we've had and now we have two home games to wrap up survival before the last weekend. If we beat Meath the question will be whether we want to chase promotion or use the remaining games to get lads experience..

Advertisement