Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Breast Feeding Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Are blood tests standard at 1 year? My fella didn't get any :confused:

Definitely not! My first little girl had a febrile seizure at ten months and a heart murmur was picked up on at docs so we were admitted to hosp: completely innocent nothing to worry about.

My second is just in and out of the hosp and is always sick.

It's the one thing that really upsets me: with my first I was so upset being admitted and a nurse came up to me on the corridor to tell me. Then later on at supper time when I had been offered waffles sausage/nuggets/fish fingers or a sandwich for a 10 month old I had picked the waffles and sausages, the same nurse came up and told me there was no iron in sausages: her first time eating them. Then told me we all breastfeed for 6 months and then move onto formula. There was iron in formula. They also suggested she was too dependent on me, and I needed to leave her for a weekend and wean her.

I did complain and got an apology but ever since the subject of iron and breastfeeding and doctors/nurses riles me up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Ugh. I am sick of these stupid health nurses spouting this incorrect nonsense. The iron in breastmilk is FAR easier absorbed than the truckload of iron they put into formula. They have to put so much into formula because it's not easily digested at all.

As an aside, I'm breastfeeding well over a year now. Yay.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I think the formula companies sponsor a lot of training for hcps where they imply that breastfed babies don't get the same amount of iron as babies who are out on follow on milk which has enough iron to knock an elephant over. That follow on stuff and the ridiculous TV ads drive me crazy. Just ask my husband!

Surely babies ingesting that much iron just poo it out. We can only absorb a certain amount of iron and we get rid of the rest.

By 6 months a baby can pretty much eat anything so even sucking on a piece of red meat and spitting out the meat itself will give enough iron. You can make things like spaghetti bolognaise, meatballs etc to encourage them to eat iron rich foods. Give them steamed broccoli florets to suck on. At 6 months they only need a small amount of food so think about quality over quantity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

We don't eat red meat aside from the odd bit of mince or meatballs that I buy especially to give the kids but we do eat loads of chicken and iron rich veg and grains. We did buy into the formula company mass hysteria with our first and gave him the follow on milk after 6 months but I wasn't even entirely happy about that because it tasted ridiculously sugary. I just assumed this time around that breastmilk would have all the nutrients a baby would need. Ugh I have the 7 month check up this week and I'm dreading trying to explain the breastfeeding/baby led weaning :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Just let the 7-month visit go straight over your head mrspostman. My PHN was a right idiot - she scoffed at BLW and said I needed to purée meat. She also claimed she had done a lactation course and tried to convince me that I needed to offer solids first, then breastmilk. I told her that was incorrect advice and it was breast first, then solids otherwise it encourages early weaning off the breast (I confirmed this with an actual qualified lactation consultant). Then she started to get a bit thick with me. She also ran a breastfeeding morning every week - I feel sorry for the poor mothers who were subjected to her crappy advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I've yet to hear first hand of any PHN giving actual proper accurate advice. I've heard all the rubbish about iron and how people start giving up bf at six months and to start on baby rice at four months if they're not sleeping through the night. If and when we have a third I will more than likely tell them to sod off and leave them out altogether.

Tell her you've heard about two children who did BLW and are hale and hearty, one of whom is still bf at over two years of age. Or tell her she needs to upskill given the WHO recommended ways to feed babies and infants.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Happydippy

After hearing lots of stories of unhelpful PHN's, I feel very lucky as the 2 PHN's in my area are very supportive and knowledgeble. This might be because they breastfed their own children rather than any HSE training they had.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

The Phn I had on my first was amazing: encouraged co sleeping safely (sure how else would you feed all night long!), told me to stop looking at the scales look at the baby, told me every growth spurt would pass, told me about baby carriers (now she tells everyone about slings ;) ) even when there was a major issue from the hospital about her weight (thanks to her weight having been changed from 3.6 to 3.9kg born) didn't care... I did! I wish i had been more relaxed.

Had a different one this time round: not that she's not nice but I far prefer that PHN. She's just fab.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Leinster1980

Hi all,

Just looking for some advice, my son is nearly 6 months old and within the last 3 weeks I've weaned him onto bottles. It was a hard decision for me but I was happy that I lasted way longer then the initial time frame that I had given myself. The last week or so I've been suffering night sweats and my period has stopped, it had returned for two cycles previous to me stopping breastfeeding. Would this be because my hormones are settling back down? I'm still lactating slightly. Thanks in advice for any advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 gracielooks

tinkerbell wrote: »
    Ugh. I am sick of these stupid health nurses spouting this incorrect nonsense. The iron in breastmilk is FAR easier absorbed than the truckload of iron they put into formula. They have to put so much into formula because it's not easily digested at all.

As an aside, I'm breastfeeding well over a year now. Yay.

Yay! Amazing. 15 weeks in here, starting to wonder about going past 6 months & what that might be like with work & crèche.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Feeding gets different as they get a little older. I'm still feeding my two year old. I went back to.work.when he was 11 months. He never got bottles at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I fed both of mine to 1 year and I went back to work at 6 months. It was actually very easy. They were only starting solids at 6 months but they just ate loads of food in creche, I would give a feed before work, straight away when we got home and before bedtime. Then I fed on demand at night which on my son was 2 feeds dropping to 1 around 8 months and on my daaughter it was like an all night buffet but that was more to do with her terrible sleeping habits.

They can do without milk during the day and water is enough but you have to be prepared to feed on demand at all other times. Once they know the milk is there they're happy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 gracielooks

I fed both of mine to 1 year and I went back to work at 6 months. It was actually very easy. They were only starting solids at 6 months but they just ate loads of food in creche, I would give a feed before work, straight away when we got home and before bedtime. Then I fed on demand at night which on my son was 2 feeds dropping to 1 around 8 months and on my daaughter it was like an all night buffet but that was more to do with her terrible sleeping habits.

They can do without milk during the day and water is enough but you have to be prepared to feed on demand at all other times. Once they know the milk is there they're happy enough.

Thanks ladies, it's good to hear different experiences. I only know one person who did it & she had her own office so could pump, I am sitting in an open plan office & none of my colleagues have children either.

Do you remember if your body quickly adjusted to the new demand or did you find you were engorged throughout the day? I spent an overnight without my baby at 9 weeks & I found even with 3 pumping I was in pain & was upset.

That all night buffet sounds really tough especially with the prospect of work...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

Yay! Amazing. 15 weeks in here, starting to wonder about going past 6 months & what that might be like with work & crèche.

Well done on getting to the 15 weeks. As said before it gets different feeding as they get a bit older. I went back to work when baby was 9.5 months. She would take a bottle of expressed milk from Dad and drink water from a sippy cup no problem. I built up a small freezer stash in the month before. I express on my lunch time in an office with a lock on the door. My boss was fine about it when I asked him about it. I bring in a little cooler bag with an ice pack type thing in it and keep the milk in it in the fridge in work until home time. I work a 4 day week and feed on demand on the 3 days off. In hindsight the only thing I would have done differently is start my freezer stash a bit early. I'll just about make it to my goal of a year with what I have.

There are lots of different options, some people give expressed bottles, some use sippy cups. Some depending on the age of the baby and work hours give water during the day. Hopefully you'll find a routine that works for you.

Do you remember if your body quickly adjusted to the new demand or did you find you were engorged throughout the day? I spent an overnight without my baby at 9 weeks & I found even with 3 pumping I was in pain & was upset.

That all night buffet sounds really tough especially with the prospect of work...

It might have been different for me as baby was 9.5 months so she would have fed from me in morning before work and I would express on my lunch. If I was at home she'd usually feed before lunch and in the afternoon. Usually twice, the odd time 3 times. The first day or two I would feel full at lunch but then I got into the routine and it was fine.

The cluster feeding at night is tough, as is teething but us Mammies manage somehow. Coffee can be your best friend at times ;)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Thanks ladies, it's good to hear different experiences. I only know one person who did it & she had her own office so could pump, I am sitting in an open plan office & none of my colleagues have children either.

I am feeding my 17 month old, i went back to work when he was 11 months old. I never had to pump in work as he was well established on solids.

My body adjusted very fast. We fed in the morning, when i get home from work. He was feeding during the night until 16 months when I just had enough and started sending the OH in to him.

he feeds on demand at the weekend without any problems. I never sent in expressed milk to crèche either. he had a beaker of water which was enough for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

Hi all, I have a little girl, 3 days old today and I am trying to breastfeed - it didnt go well with my first child which saw me give up after a few weeks on advice from my doctor, but I am willing to give it a go again.

Aanyway, my question is how much should she be taking at this stage? In the hospital they told me to put her for a half hour on each breast - but I am wondering if they were just referring to the colostrum stage - because my milk started coming in since yesterday but she is only willing to feed every 3 hrs or so now, and then she will take only one boob for about 25 mins or so and then falls asleep. I try to wake her but even if successful, she won't want the other boob.

I just pumped one breast there to see what I would get and I got 50ml - just around 2 oz. Should she be getting more than this on one feed?

I am concerned because she was down 8.6% bodyweight in the first few days which they said was OK but I don't want her going over the 10% threshold.

Any advice appreciated.

Congratulations Cunning Stunt. I'm no expert but it sounds to me like you're doing a great job. I think the 30 mins on each side might have been advice to help you build supply for your milk to come in. My baby would have fed similar to your baby. 25 mins from one side only. Once there are plenty of wet and dirty nappies that is a good sign the baby is drinking lots. You can't work out exactly what they take in on each feed. Pumping is not a good indication as the baby is more efficient than a pump and you'll never pump as much as they will feed. During leaps you might find your baby will feed more regularly than every 3 hours and they might take both sides too. Is there a local breast feeding support group that you could attend? It's great to meet up with other women feeding their babies and asking any questions you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

Hi all, I have a little girl, 3 days old today and I am trying to breastfeed - it didnt go well with my first child which saw me give up after a few weeks on advice from my doctor, but I am willing to give it a go again.

Aanyway, my question is how much should she be taking at this stage? In the hospital they told me to put her for a half hour on each breast - but I am wondering if they were just referring to the colostrum stage - because my milk started coming in since yesterday but she is only willing to feed every 3 hrs or so now, and then she will take only one boob for about 25 mins or so and then falls asleep. I try to wake her but even if successful, she won't want the other boob.

I just pumped one breast there to see what I would get and I got 50ml - just around 2 oz. Should she be getting more than this on one feed?

I am concerned because she was down 8.6% bodyweight in the first few days which they said was OK but I don't want her going over the 10% threshold.

Any advice appreciated.

Congrats on your new baby. The best way to know if baby is getting enough is by the amount of wet and dirty nappies. 25 mins on one side per feed sounds pretty good to me. For BF babies it can be quite normal to lose up to 10% of weight and they should regain it in 3 weeks max.
    Kellymom.com has loads of information.
    Cuidiu website has a list of the BF counsellors which you can ring of you have any concerns or questions. They are volunteers and happy to help.

Try and sleep when baby does if you can. And I always liked the saying don't give up on a bad day. There is loads of support out there nowadays. A couple of Facebook pages which I found very good were extended breastfeeding in ireland and mammys breastfeeding chat.
    Both are closed groups but ask to join and the ladies are full of very good advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Fagashlil

Any advice appreciated.

First of all, congratulation on the new squish!

Follow baby's lead and not the clock. My 1 year old has never once fed for more than 20 minutes, and that's draining both breasts.

Baby tummy is tiny now, about the size of a cherry, so fills up quick, and as breastmilk is so easy for them to digest, they'll feed more often. This also helps to establish your milk supply, so PLEASE don't feel you aren't making enough milk, breastfed babies feed little and often, especially when your milk comes in around day 3/4. Pumping is no indication as to how much baby is actually getting, no pump is equal to a baby's suck, so how much you pump, is how much you can pump, not how much your baby feeds. You only pump approx 1/3 of what a baby feeds.

Depending on how baby was born will also affect weight gain, section babies tend to lose more weigh post birth, and induced sectioned babies will lose even more.

Also babies don't always want both breasts, if you have a super milk supply, one side may be enough for them, always offer. Othm but don't be worried if they refuse the seconds (sometimes there's no room for dessert after mains :) )

Best of luck, remember it takes about 6 weeks for feeding to be fully established, if the latch hurts, call a lactation consultant, feeding should never hurt, bar the initial discomfort. Lansinoh cream and multi mam compresses from the fridge are a saviour for cracked nipples! And never give up on a bad day!!

• Advertisement

Wow thanks everyone for your replies, really appreciated! I am feeling better now about how much she feeds after having read the responses.
    One more question - I have been timing the feeds for every 3 hours, including waking her to feed her - because they told me in the hospital not to let her go more than 3 hours without a feed. Now I get the impression from some of you that I should just wait for her to wake. Is this what you guys have done?

I get plenty of dirty nappies from her each day (my God that stuff is noisy on its way out!) and will keep an eye to see if they are wet also.

She was a planned c-section so maybe thats why the 8.6% weight loss.

Thanks again and please keep the advice coming!

I never woke my lo to feed but then he never really went more than three hours from the start of one feed to the start of the next one. You could not wake her at one feed and see how long she sleeps for. I was always of the opinion if everything is going ok and wet and dirty nappies are good then no need to wake to feed but that's just me.
    Sounds like your doing great.
    I second the lanolin and multi mam compresses they were my saviour!!!

As blingy said, once baba is having plenty of wet and dirty nappies, no worries. I've never once woken baba to sleep, he tended to wake every 4 hours as it was. But he occasionally went 7 hours between feeds. Chances are if a nappy is dirty it's wet also! But also remember it's common for breastfed babies to go days without a dirty nappy.

And don't worry if baby feeds on and off for a few minutes at a time for several hours, especially in the evening. They cluster feed during the evening, but it's good news as your milk at this stage contains hormones which should help them sleep. We used to finish feeding about 8, and he'd sleep a good stretch (usually on daddy's shoulder while I headed to bed!!)

And I never winded at night time, but we co-sleep so I just latched him on, fed and we went back to sleep

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Happydippy

Wow thanks everyone for your replies, really appreciated! I am feeling better now about how much she feeds after having read the responses.
    One more question - I have been timing the feeds for every 3 hours, including waking her to feed her - because they told me in the hospital not to let her go more than 3 hours without a feed. Now I get the impression from some of you that I should just wait for her to wake. Is this what you guys have done?

I get plenty of dirty nappies from her each day (my God that stuff is noisy on its way out!) and will keep an eye to see if they are wet also.

She was a planned c-section so maybe thats why the 8.6% weight loss.

Thanks again and please keep the advice coming!

congratulations on new babba. sounds like you're doing great.
    don't worry about weight loss, some newborns seem to loose more than others.
    with breastfeeding you can't tell how much baby is getting, baby feeds till they're full (or fall asleep) if your lo has plenty of wet nappies and seems content, its all good.
    on waking baby for feeds, in the early weeks my lg sometimes slept long stretches during day, but then made up for it by feeding lots at night. so I started waking her in daytime if she went more than 4 hrs. they do need to feed little and often.
    make sure you get enough to eat and drink yourself.
    do offer the 2nd boob at each feed, but as said by others, she might not always want it. babies also get faster at feeding. it could take her 30 mins each side now but once you both get the hang of it and your supply is established it might only take 15 mins for whole feed.

I definitely recommend contacting a local breastfeeding support group.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Marz66

Congratulations on new baby and the good start to breastfeeding!

I echo what the others said.

I would keep waking at 3 hours myself. Just because she is feeding for 25 mins when you offer then.

I got my baby weighed 1-2 times per week in the first few weeks just for peace of mind. The next weigh in if it shows weight gain should give you a lot of reassurance.

Also poo can range in colour and still all is fine but if you see mustard yellow that's another good sign.

Another thing to check if you have reason to worry (but sounds like you're doing fine) is if baby is drinking and swallowing milk. Can you hear or see swallowing as baby is feeding.

How ye getting on Cunning Stunt?

Fagashlil wrote: »
    How ye getting on Cunning Stunt?

Hi, we had the first visit from the health nurse today and our baby has gained the weight that she had lost, so shes back to her birth weight :)

So I guess my boobs must be in working order afterall, and she is getting enough!

I am feeling sleep deprived at the mo because she seems to have gotten into a pattern of waking for 3 feeds a night, with the middle one being a 3 hour stint of constant feeding. Its onto the boob, off the boob, try to settle her which never works, back on the boob and so on...it the 3 hours feed which is killing me. anyone know if this canbe changed or if i have to ride it out?

That's great Cunning Stunt. I used to find my baby would do the 3 hour like stint from 6pm onwards and when she would finally go asleep I used to leave her with Daddy and head to bed myself and try and get a head start on some sleep. The frequency of night feeds used to constantly change for me especially during growth spurts. Is there a way you can go to bed in the evening for a couple of hours to get a head start while the 3 hour feast sessions are going on? Hopefully those 3 hours feasts will get shorter for you. Keep up the good work.

Yeah you kinda have to just ride out those cluster feeds at the start. It's so true if you can snooze when baby is asleep whether it be day or night.

• Advertisement

Hi all,

I have a 22 month old toddler who is in daycare all day so I don't like to disappear on him when he is home in the early evening. But I try to sleep during the day when he is in daycare.

Advertisement