Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Breast Feeding Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Thanks marz. I ended up going to the out of hours doctor because my temparute was high and I started getting the shivers :( He prescribed augmentin and difene but I've just googled it now and seen that difene usually isn't recommended while breastfeeding (even though you get it in the maternity postpartum :confused: ) I've never heard of it given for mastitis before, has anyone else had it?

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Marz66

Thanks marz. I ended up going to the out of hours doctor because my temparute was high and I started getting the shivers :( He prescribed augmentin and difene but I've just googled it now and seen that difene usually isn't recommended while breastfeeding (even though you get it in the maternity postpartum :confused: ) I've never heard of it given for mastitis before, has anyone else had it?

I haven't had difene for mastitis. Maybe someone else can advise if they did. You'd like to think the doctor wouldn't have given it if it wasn't suitable for BF cos he obviously knows you are BF.

I took difene post c section and my LC said ok if I need it cos of pain but as soon as I think that id manage with paracetamol to stop taking the difene. So maybe difene is ok for a short time period especially if u need it.

Yeah I asked him a few times if it was ok and he said yes because women get it routinely after childbirth. He was more worried about the swelling turning into an abcess than the pain. Sure I'll give them a go anyway, hopefully they will work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Yeah I asked him a few times if it was ok and he said yes because women get it routinely after childbirth. He was more worried about the swelling turning into an abcess than the pain. Sure I'll give them a go anyway, hopefully they will work.

Hope you are ok Bella Most Rubble? Difene is ok whilst breastfeeding as far as I know. I didn't think augmentin was the first line antibiotic treatment for mastitis tho? But I'm not a doc and I know there's the no medical advice rule here. I always thought it was fluclox was the first line treatment for mastitis (unless you're allergic) and then clindamycin if you're allergic to flucloxacillin. Maybe this has changed tho in recent times. Augmentin is broad spectrum. Double check this with your GP tomorrow. As I could be wrong.

Anyways, keep up with baths/showers and massaging and feeding. You poor thing. Mastitis isn't nice :(

According to www.medicines.ie

Lactation
    Like other NSAIDs, diclofenac passes into the breast milk in small amounts. Therefore, diclofenac should not be administered during breast feeding in order to avoid undesirable effects in the infant.

I know I was prescribed difene whilst breastfeeding however.... If I were you I'd give your GP a call tomorrow or your maternity hospital a call today to clarify all the info you have been given. Your maternity hospital will have a special list of medicines that are contraindicated during lactation. So the midwife there will be able to give you the answer straight away :). Hope this helps x

• Advertisement

Thanks sligo :) AFAIK, the out of hours doc I went to always prescribes a strong broad spectrum antibiotic for all infections. Maybe it has something to do with allergies and not knowing the patients full medical history? I will call my gp tomorrow to confirm. I started the tablets anyway and managed to feed the baby on the sore side (a horrific experience :eek: ) and thankfully it has relieved some of the swelling and pressure and my temperature has come down a bit. Kids are gone for their nap now so I've gone back to bed with a giant mug of tea. Hopefully I'll be over the worst tomorrow.

Thanks sligo :) AFAIK, the out of hours doc I went to always prescribes a strong broad spectrum antibiotic for all infections. Maybe it has something to do with allergies and not knowing the patients full medical history? I will call my gp tomorrow to confirm. I started the tablets anyway and managed to feed the baby on the sore side (a horrific experience :eek: ) and thankfully it has relieved some of the swelling and pressure and my temperature has come down a bit. Kids are gone for their nap now so I've gone back to bed with a giant mug of tea. Hopefully I'll be over the worst tomorrow.

Aw you poor thing. I hope they sleep well for you so can get some rest yourself. As far as I can remember I took difene when is as breastfeeding. Mastitis is so painful. Hope you have some help around the house aswell :) x

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Fagashlil

http://www.breastfeeding-and-medication.co.uk

This lady is the go-to reference for breastfeeding mothers and medication, she's amazing, and also ha written and complied all this voluntarily.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

Hugs Mrspostman. Had mastitis last month and it's not easy when you have older kids too to mind. Took me about a week to recover with antibiotic. Try and sit down as much as possible during the day and lie down when you can. You're sick so behave that way and anything that doesn't need to be done can wait.

Thanks ladies I'm a lot better today, the fluey feeling is gone but I'm still fairly sore, I suppose it'll just take time. It's an awful dose, I never realised how bad it could get so quickly. Thankfully the baby is still feeding away on it and my OH is being great with doing stuff for me so not much more I can do except wait for it to heal :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

glad to hear you are on the mend, mrspostman. I had it in June. It came on within a few hours and really knocked me out for a couple of days. I was just on antibiotics and paracetamol but it went. Great that your baby is feeding from it. If baby stops - this is probably TMI but I found it helped - my baby wouldn't feed from the infected side at all and pumping was only getting a tiny bit despite engorgement, so I hand expressed to relieve it. What i can only describe as custard came out. It was the most repulsive thing to do, but I managed to hand express it over the course of a few days until it was back to just milk.

Thanks I'm nearly back to normal now :) I was shocked how quickly it got worse. I knew Saturday evening that I had a mild dose of it but I've had it like that a good few times and it always clears up on it's own. I went from feeling dodgy at 10am Sunday to shivering and feeling like death an hour later :eek: It's strange, normally if I have a mild dose, the baby is reluctant to feed but the last few days, she has been feeding more often and wanting the sore side more, it's instinct I guess. The pain wouldn't bother me too much but I cannot stand feeling feverish and sicky :( I'll definitely be paying more attention in future.

God madeinamerica that sounds awful you poor thing :( I've found hand expressing to be much more effective than pumping if I'm engorged too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

For anyone that is breastfeeding and using Colief can you tell me how you prepare it. Just read that it's meant to be prepared about 30 mins in advance of a feed is this right? Lo finding it v hard to get wind up have tried infacol and gripe water. (Aware Colief is more for lactose intolerance)
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 42 nettie1

Hi ladies, first time mum here. Need a bit of advice. My 9 week old had a terrible bout of diarrhoea yesterday morning followed by a normal nappy, a runny nappy and a few wettish nappies. She hasn't had a dirty nappy in about 12 hours now. This is about 6 hours longer than her record and she only did that once. I'd be dancing jigs but for the diarrhoea. Now she had to be woken after 5 hours for a feed and only fed for about 7 minutes, very half heartedly and will not wake up for more. She usually feeds at least twenty minutes with gusto. I was reminded to look at the colour of her poo but I had only been paying attention to quantity and was happy that she was taking in more than she was losing. There might have been a green tinge. I haven't seen a dirty nappy since.
    Am I overreacting or should I call the doctor?? Can't sleep now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

If she's exclusively bf then green and runny tends to mean too much fore milk, so she's not feeding for long enough to get the hind milk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

Hi, looking for a bit of advice. I'm heading away overnight this weekend. Leaving the baby Saturday morning and will be back Sunday evening. Baby is 10.5 months. I've got expressed milk frozen and she takes a bottle of expressed milk from Daddy no problem. I'm just wondering what I should do with regard to expressing while I'm away. I won't have access to a fridge and traveling by air so don't want to go through hassle in security. Should I just express a small bit every so often to ease comfort or should i be emptying the boob each time I express? Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

bovril wrote: »
    Hi, looking for a bit of advice. I'm heading away overnight this weekend. Leaving the baby Saturday morning and will be back Sunday evening. Baby is 10.5 months. I've got expressed milk frozen and she takes a bottle of expressed milk from Daddy no problem. I'm just wondering what I should do with regard to expressing while I'm away. I won't have access to a fridge and traveling by air so don't want to go through hassle in security. Should I just express a small bit every so often to ease comfort or should i be emptying the boob each time I express? Thanks in advance.

I'd bring a manual pump if you can, you want to keep your supply up and you will definitely feel engorged, but it depends on how often your little one feeds.

I went away at 7 months on my first and didn't bring a pump, was less than 24 hours and I was in agony, hand expressing did nothing! Went away on second at 7 months also and brought manual. Used it first thing in the morning and it was a godsend

Enjoy your time off!

I'd bring a manual pump if you can, you want to keep your supply up and you will definitely feel engorged, but it depends on how often your little one feeds.

Thanks. I'll bring a pump so. Thought I might manage hand expressing but I'll go with your advice. She doesn't feed much during the day as weekdays I'm in work. She feeds most in the evening. Some days she sleeps through so just thinking about it and what you said I might try to pump early evening and then in the morning. I'll play it by ear!

nettie1 wrote: »
    Hi ladies, first time mum here. Need a bit of advice. My 9 week old had a terrible bout of diarrhoea yesterday morning followed by a normal nappy, a runny nappy and a few wettish nappies. She hasn't had a dirty nappy in about 12 hours now. This is about 6 hours longer than her record and she only did that once. I'd be dancing jigs but for the diarrhoea. Now she had to be woken after 5 hours for a feed and only fed for about 7 minutes, very half heartedly and will not wake up for more. She usually feeds at least twenty minutes with gusto. I was reminded to look at the colour of her poo but I had only been paying attention to quantity and was happy that she was taking in more than she was losing. There might have been a green tinge. I haven't seen a dirty nappy since.
    Am I overreacting or should I call the doctor?? Can't sleep now!!

hi nettie, how is your little one now? sorry this is a few days late but i only saw your post. no one can give any medical advice here, so if you are concerned then it is best to contact your doctor or a nurse or a pharmacist, they can give you better info. i hope all is well :)

A friend of mine in england was telling me that her health visitor advised her to give an iron supplement to her baby once she got to 6 months because she was exclusively breast fed. Does anyone know if this is advised here? It's the first I've heard of it :confused:

• Advertisement

A friend of mine in england was telling me that her health visitor advised her to give an iron supplement to her baby once she got to 6 months because she was exclusively breast fed. Does anyone know if this is advised here? It's the first I've heard of it :confused:

I've never heard of this in Ireland. I was attending my local bf support group which was run by the area PHNs up until my baby was 9 months. Some of these PHNs were doing the lactation consultants course so perhaps PHNs which have more up to date knowledge on breastfeeding are not being told to give this advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

God the iron thing is head wrecking isn't it....I've read research that says lower iron after 6 months is a natural protection for the baby as iron is needed for bacteria growth. http://kellymom.com/nutrition/vitamins/iron/

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭clartharlear

I think whether you had a delayed cord clamping affects iron stores too. I decided to start giving multi vits and iron from six months, but I am not bothered if I forget sometimes.

Especially when you think about bio availability

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Unless your baby is confirmed by a blood test that they are anaemic I definitely wouldn't. Both my girls have been anaemic and it's so hard on their little bellies... There is absolutely no reason that a breastfed baby will be anaemic. Some nurses and doctors let personal views cloud facts and it is infuriating!

I just checked the NHS website, and it says to supplement with some vitamins, but doesn't mention iron at all!
    http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/pages/vitamins-for-children.aspx

I've heard that line about bf babies needing more iron after 6 months from a friend but from a bit of reading it doesn't seem to hold water. My guy is still bf and on solids since about 6.5 months with no supplementation and his 1 yr blood tests were all good.

Are blood tests standard at 1 year? My fella didn't get any :confused:

Are blood tests standard at 1 year? My fella didn't get any :confused:

I live in the US, sorry I should have said that. I don't know the schedule for tests in Ireland.

Inspired by this, I'm going to switch to vitamins only!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Fagashlil

It's a load of crap marketed by various formula companies. A baby's natural iron store begins to deplete after 6 months, breastfed babies still get iron from breastmilk, and food sources. My little man has spinach, green veg and red meat daily. Follow on milk, for which there's no real advantage over first stage formula, is marketed with added iron, to make people think they need it.

As said above, unless the child is anaemic, there's no need for extra iron supplements.

Advertisement