Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Chillout Zone (Off-Topic Thread)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Congratulations on the new addition Angeldaisy, she is gorgeous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I had the most amazing cuddle with Dude this evening, I used to take his neck embracing drooly hugs for granted but I now treasure each and every one I get. He sits on my chest, rests his face on my cheek and puts his paws into my hair and kneads to his hearts content. It's just lovely especially after a long day in work :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Felix is going to the vet in an hour. Not looking forward to getting him in the carrier. He's had so many vet trips over the years that he's gotten very good at splaying his paws to try to avoid the carrier, the carrier is massive, then again so is he. Probably get another telling off for his weight today. :(

On a happier note Toby wrapped a front paw around my index finger and gave my hand a wash last night. That's a first, he's a bit of a mixed up cat and in the past he wouldn't have been sure whether to wash me or think about biting me, he'd usually settle for making a biting movement at me with no intention of biting me. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,053 ✭✭✭✭tk123

We're on our walk this morning - decided Bailey was a bit fragile to go to the park so we'd our usual 3.5k lap instead where it'd be quiet and no other dogs to potentially hurt his face (it was bleeding and he was up pacing during the night so must be sore).... As we pass the school there's a woman on her way out (but far enough away for us to pass) with a boxer - it goes BALLISTIC.... I keep walking and we go around the corner, Lucy poos and as I'm picking it up the woman with the boxer comes around the corner, again he goes ballistic lunging towards the dogs...she takes a few steps away and stops so the dog is inches away from me suspended by the lead on it's back legs. W T F?! :mad: I had my earphones in so don't know if she apologized or said anything but I wasn't happy about a dog freaking out inches away from me let alone the two dogs while it's owner is barely able to pull it back(!) If that had of been me I would have kept walking across the road and crossed back over at a safe distance but no...let the dog freak out and then stand having a conversation with him! GAH!!!!

Anyways what a week!! Bailey is ok - baldy tummy and arms and a bit out of sorts which is to be expected. Lucy is delighted to have him back and keeps bringing toys to him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Just finished 'grooming' my girl bc who over the summer had carefully hidden and wouldn't let me near her backend - I know why she had dreadlocks Bob Marley would be proud of! I had to get the scissors out which I hate doing because she has such a glorious tail - anyway in the end she seems pleased to be free of tangles - any tips on special combs or techniques for keeping these clumps under control?

She actually loves been brushed except when it comes to the knots! I'm looking for something that makes it easier for both of us - She's a curly coated BC.

• Advertisement

For the last few months while it was warm at night I've been sleeping on top of the duvet with just a fleece blanket. It's fantastic because the blanket is ALL mine - I don't have a dog weighing 3/4 of it down or trapping/cooking me beneath layers of dog+dog blanket+duvet. But now it's getting colder my blanket isn't warm enough.... but i can't go back to the heavy duvet lol!!!! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Cream has been sleeping on my stomach for the last few nights which is strange as he's never been a lap cat, or indeed a stomach cat before. This evening he was dreaming in his sleep, I could feel his little paws and whiskers twitching, then out of no where he wakes up and bites my stomach really hard! Must have been being attacked in his dream. I was less than impressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

Pretzill wrote: »
    - any tips on special combs or techniques for keeping these clumps under control? She actually loves been brushed except when it comes to the knots! I'm looking for something that makes it easier for both of us - She's a curly coated BC.

Slicker brushes are great for knots, I have a long hair border collie cross and she often gets knots in her tail. Because she's part springer she only has an undercoat on her hips which gets a bit knotted, I use both a slicker and "greyhound comb" (wide tooth comb). If you hold the mat/knot tight at the base with one hand and briskly sweep the slicker over it, it'll break the knot up which should then easily pull apart with your fingers after a few brushes. If the coat is badly matted you'll need a matt breaker which is a brush with metal "teeth" designed to break through matts without having to cut the coat with a scissors in most cases. Most pet shops have a de-tangling spray you can use on to help, my collie hates these though she doesn't like the noise. Brush your dog throughly or only in the affected areas at least once a week to keep the knots in check. Hope this helps :)

So my two "fantastic" dogs managed to get to the clothes line outside and pulled some clothes off, including a new jeans I only bought last week. Moone had tore a big hole in the leg, I know it was her because I caught her running around with them proudly! She kept tripping up on them! I took them off her and gave out to her, she only looked at me with a big smilie face and wagged her tail! :( joys of having dogs!

SingItOut wrote: »
    Slicker brushes are great for knots, I have a long hair border collie cross and she often gets knots in her tail. Because she's part springer she only has an undercoat on her hips which gets a bit knotted, I use both a slicker and "greyhound comb" (wide tooth comb). If you hold the mat/knot tight at the base with one hand and briskly sweep the slicker over it, it'll break the knot up which should then easily pull apart with your fingers after a few brushes. If the coat is badly matted you'll need a matt breaker which is a brush with metal "teeth" designed to break through matts without having to cut the coat with a scissors in most cases. Most pet shops have a de-tangling spray you can use on to help, my collie hates these though she doesn't like the noise. Brush your dog throughly or only in the affected areas at least once a week to keep the knots in check. Hope this helps :)

Thanks a mill for the tips - my rural pet store has a very poor range of brushes - but now I know what they are called I'm sure I'll get them! I brush her constantly as she has such a thick coat but these knots were hidden under her tail I couldn't believe I had missed them - the little cleaver/stickleback balls had started the clumping - the proper brush technique should make all the difference for the future.

• Advertisement

Cream has been sleeping on my stomach for the last few nights which is strange as he's never been a lap cat, or indeed a stomach cat before. This evening he was dreaming in his sleep, I could feel his little paws and whiskers twitching, then out of no where he wakes up and bites my stomach really hard! Must have been being attacked in his dream. I was less than impressed.
    :) Maybe he's feeling chilly. Our 4 seem to be going to their Winter sleeping places these days. Jazzy loves to snuggle on my tummy or sprawl across my chest. I tell myself it's because he loves me but I suspect he really loves my squidgy warm flabby bits, he sees me as a hot waterbottle:D

Pretzill wrote: »
    Thanks a mill for the tips - my rural pet store has a very poor range of brushes - but now I know what they are called I'm sure I'll get them! I brush her constantly as she has such a thick coat but these knots were hidden under her tail I couldn't believe I had missed them - the little cleaver/stickleback balls had started the clumping - the proper brush technique should make all the difference for the future.

No problem :) those little sticklebacks are such a pain! You'd be better off removing them by Hand first they will only ruin the spines in the slicker. The slicker may look rough but it isn't at all, just go a little easier around the chest area.

SingItOut wrote: »
    No problem :) those little sticklebacks are such a pain! You'd be better off removing them by Hand first the only ruin the spines in the slicker. The slicker may look rough but it isn't at all, just go a little easier around the chest area.
    This year there has been a huge amount of sticklebacks and the ball often ends up among them. But I can get most removed whilst shes lying legs in the air on my knee - the rest of her coat rarely gets a tangle I think she has a more thicker layer behind her tail and is moulting in that direction too - her coat grew really thick this year and she hardly lost any over the warm summer! I'll just have to get more vigilant - my young boy bcx is just allowing me to brush him now with confidence. His coat is thin and long with not one tangle yet!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

Interesting dynamics in the house this morning between Tara and Elly. Bit of a tussle over toys which has been fun to watch!!

To whoever Tara's secret santa was, the chew rope has been a huge success and is still in one piece!!!

Well in our house Lucy took all the toys!! If Bailey has anything and she goes near him he just drops it and walks away. In the park I distract her and throw the ball for Bailey when she's not looking so he gets a game! :p

Poor Bailey has razor burn - tried coconut oil and they both wanted to lick it off! :rolleyes:

tk123 wrote: »
    Poor Bailey has razor burn - tried coconut oil and they both wanted to lick it off! :rolleyes:

Do you have any bio oil? I've used that before and it's less smelly and tasty! Or even try thin layer of vaseline

Thanks! I do have some bio oil - I'll try it when I get home. We joked last night that my mum would have to make him a pair of shorts with a panel in the back like mickey mouse lol!!! :D If it gets bad I'll put his thunder shirt on and leave it loose. His arms are shaved as well - my vet would have at most 1cm square - he has inches of fur gone from both arms and one of his back paws has a shaved patch too.

I saw a photograph of that poor dog that was found in Clare, the one the Warden said was the worst case of cruelty he'd ever seen. Christ, whoever did that to the poor dog deserves to be horsewhipped then shot. They aren't just sick, they're evil and the world would be a better place without them in it. I hope they die screaming for what they did to that dog.

ROFL that couple on Pet Island - aaaawkward! :D

Well in our house Lucy took all the toys!! If Bailey has anything and she goes near him he just drops it and walks away. In the park I distract her and throw the ball for Bailey when she's not looking so he gets a game! :p

My girl is like that with toys, ball etc but I have devised a cool way of letting her share - I throw the ball for her and now on command she drops it for our lil guy he picks it up and brings it the rest of the way!! BC's are so good with this although 9 times out of 10 the lil guy wants to keep the ball he's beginning to respond to the same command to drop it for her! It's like tag for sheep dogs.

I watched Pet Island too. It's uber eccentric in parts but at least it's not as upsetting as Dangerous Dogs which I had the misfortune to watch the other night.

• Advertisement

Omg I'd forgotten how much hard work a puppy is!!

So far this morning we've had tears - because she was crated whilst the back door was being fixed. Dug a hole just outside back door which I almost fell into.

The two of them have just come flying in from outside resulting in Elly doing a somersault as her legs went from under her!! Finally she has just tried to empty her water dish with her paws, covering me in water!
    I'm too old for this :-P

LOL! Lucy used to knock down Bailey's (raised) water bowl all the time!! She likes to lie down in the way - especially in front of closed doors. My mum txt me one day saying she was locked out of the kitchen because Lucy has gone asleep behind the door lol!!! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

it's Poppys 2nd birthday today! They grow up so fast!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

A young cat has started hanging out in our garden in the evenings. She's lovely and friendly, insure she's owned as she has a fresh shaved patch from neutering.

The problem is she scares our rabbit and he won't go outside for a run around. Plus because my husband went out and gave her lots of cuddles she comes and stands at the door every evening meowing, it's adorable but heartbreaking!

Plus now I've started to worry about her getting killed on the roads! I'm such a worrier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Well the cat just came round again and we gave in and went out to play! It's such a friendly, cuddly cat!

Also this time, our rabbit wasn't as scared, he actually came up to the back door and they sat nose to nose through the glass checking each other out. Reggie, our rabbit, actually wanted to come out but I daren't let him as we don't know what the cats like.

I think she must have an owner if she's so friendly.

angeldaisy wrote: »

So far this morning we've had tears - because she was crated whilst the back door was being fixed. Dug a hole just outside back door which I almost fell into.

The two of them have just come flying in from outside resulting in Elly doing a somersault as her legs went from under her!! Finally she has just tried to empty her water dish with her paws, covering me in water!

My OH wanted to take in another rescue pup and whilst I know his heart is firmly in the right place I said nope (softly tbh) but our lil guy is almost a year and still a pup and my girl is really now just settling with him & after losing our much loved older boy this year I'm just not ready and I reckon neither are they.

Sides which you are right it is hard work. I felt old too when we got our last pup - getting up at all hours puppy training - cleaning up after puppy training mistakes - and being run ragged with puppy playtime! Honestly I love dogs when they've become well rounded adults.

There's a feral cat hanging around our land - pretty sure she's pregnant but can't get close to her at all and she's only walking through after dark making it much harder to get to her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Oh I know, I'm fostering an 8/9 month old husky pup, she was petrified when I first picked her up, and was really, really calm and quiet, she's been here 3 weeks now, and has found her paws, she ate my modem, socks are easy prey, and I've given up counting how many times she has taken the dogs beds outside to play with. She is playing non stop with the other dogs, which is great to see, but can make it hard to hear the TV over their noise. :) ssshhhh, she's actually lying on the floor sleeping at the moment, only because I wouldn't let her on the sofa because she insisted on going out ino the rain.

Poppy and Roisin just walked over to Poppys travel crate and poppy pulled open the door, then jumped up and pushed Roisin towards it as if she was putting her to bed :pac: funniest thing I've seen in ages!!

muddypaws wrote: »
    Oh I know, I'm fostering an 8/9 month old husky pup, she was petrified when I first picked her up, and was really, really calm and quiet, she's been here 3 weeks now, and has found her paws, she ate my modem, socks are easy prey, and I've given up counting how many times she has taken the dogs beds outside to play with. She is playing non stop with the other dogs, which is great to see, but can make it hard to hear the TV over their noise. :) ssshhhh, she's actually lying on the floor sleeping at the moment, only because I wouldn't let her on the sofa because she insisted on going out ino the rain.

Sounds like she's in heaven!!

We've a bout of noisy play going on at the minute. Tug of war over Tara's favourite rope toy! Tara growls when she plays which wrecks my head!! It's way to early!!

• Advertisement

I found one of my socks outside the cat flap this morning. I looked everywhere for that sock last night when I took the washing out of the machine. I'm guessing it was Poppy, that's a first. I put an old plastic lunchbox with their toys in the hall and every morning there's a few exta toys lying around that she/they have taken out during the early hours. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

We were away for a week and cats and dogs went to kennels/cattery, but kittens stayed home and daughters friend came in to feed and play with them.
    They were really well looked after (fat bellies to prove it), and grey fluffy girl was lying on my bed beside me when I woke up yesterday!
    I reached out and rubbed her and she stretched out and purred!
    Delighted she finally purred, but she's still hiding or running away if we approach her, although she has approached us for a nosey, but runs away again.
    She is now fine with our dogs and cats, which is great as she's going to a home with both, we just need to get her a bit more friendly now.
    No interest in the silver tabby girl yet :( and she's such a cuddle monster.
    Off to wash and trim dogs now, this will be fun!

I never have my phone with me when the cats are in their cutest poses. I just use the camera on my phone usually but I forgot it earlier and Felix was in the new cat bed on the guest bed while Jazzy was asleep on his fleece blanket next to the cat bed. I left the bed there for him and he's ignored it since I put it there on Wednesday.

Felix went in there for the first time today, spotted the basket and in he popped. We don't often see the 2 of them that close. Usually they sleep at either end of one of the sofas when we go to bed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

It's quite an unpleasant experience when you notice the first see signs of old age in, what will always be, your puppy. My choco lab has started to slow down a lot now that he's nine and no longer scoffs his food down every day like he's never been fed before. At least he's still like a giant bouncy ball whenever you mention the word "walk".

Aghhhh, just let Elly out for her wees, does one gets loads of fuss and a treat. Walk back in side. Turn round and she's doing another wee on the kitchen floor.... Frustrating!

Aghhhh, just let Elly out for her wees, does one gets loads of fuss and a treat. Walk back in side. Turn round and she's doing another wee on the kitchen floor.... Frustrating!

Out with the bio washing powder solution. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I've got an old dog who I think is just a bit confused, she will go and do a wee on the kitchen floor, with the back door wide open, when I say her name, she almost snaps out of a 'zone' and then goes outside. I have washed the area with bio washing powder, doggy disinfectant, odour reduction stuff, nothing works :(

So today I have entered my first (and probably only ever) proper dog show, am excited as there will be lots of people there to hang out with, but also just a wee bit nervous, as its a champ show and will be busy. But, if I can keep Riley awake enough to go around the ring, I'm sure we'll have fun, he is the most laid back dog I've ever met.

thank god I've no carpets - funnily enough she doesn't go in the same place each time!

It's raining HOURS!!! Don't want to go out in it! At best I'll stand under a tree in the park while the dogs potter around the field - in their raincoats lol!!:p

Our cats are definitely going back to their Autumn/Winter snoozing places in the house. Felix has nabbed the new fleece bed next to Jazzy on the spare bed:confused:, not sure how thrilled Jazzy is to be spending so much time with Felix that close to him. :D Poppy is spending a lot of time on our bed and I think Toby would spend all night on our bed, if Felix would stop coming into our room and doing his aggressive head rubbing thing, in protest at Toby being on our bed.

When I get home from work I come around the back and come in that door so the dogs can go straight out the back and say hi/get zoomies/do their business. Came home today, about an hour later than normal thanks to some work drama, to two very excited dogs. Poppy hates the rain and refused to come out to say hi and was standing with her paws on the verrrrrry edge of the door frame whining because she just couldn't come outside :pac:

She really could learn a thing or two from her baby sister, Roisin is mad for the rain!

• Advertisement

Well we put on our raincoats and went to the park and they had a good run around - at one stage Bailey jumped over Lucy lol!! :p Then they the ends of a loooong stick and went running away with it...on either side of my friend who had her back to them lol!:eek: Luckily it was cracked so it just bent as she jumped out of the way - I think they would have sent her flying otherwise! :p Then UPS* delivered and we went home ;)

*United Poo Service :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

For the first time in a good while my pair did not indicate that they wanted to go out for their walk. They normally make it very clear after dinner that it's "their time" but tonight nothing, they came looking for their dinner early and then got into their beds, not a chance in hell they were going out in that weather! We reluctantly agreed with them! :D

Elly is showing her intelligence already! She has already worked out how to negotiate the stair gate (she can squeeze through!) and has now worked out how to jump over the child gate in the hall!!

Oh sweet jesus, I went to town for about 2 hours this morning to pick up a few bits for a christening I'm going to on the weekend and I came home to find the dogs had pulled the carpet of the stairs :(:(:(

Oh sweet jesus, I went to town for about 2 hours this morning to pick up a few bits for a christening I'm going to on the weekend and I came home to find the dogs had pulled the carpet of the stairs :(:(:(

I'm getting the carpets cleaned in a few weeks and am hoping it won't mean the cats will start spraying things to put their scent back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

positive thoughts needed this way please :( got home from work today and umi was acting very very strangely. was walking weird and had her tongue hanging out among other things, Rushed her to the emergency vet and she is being kept in over night. Have just cried non stop since I got home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

positive thoughts needed this way please :( got home from work today and umi was acting very very strangely. was walking weird and had her tongue hanging out among other things, Rushed her to the emergency vet and she is being kept in over night. Have just cried non stop since I got home

Loads of positive thoughts from here! Fingers crossed all will be ok.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Oh god, that's really frightening :(
    Will keep everything crossed for Umi and for you. Try not to stay too upset, though I know that's easier said than done. She's in the right place now. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭nala2012

Going to pick up two more cavaliers from the same back yard breeder i transported 2 girls from couple weeks ago. This time it's a male and female.

Oh god hope Umi is ok!! Back to ucd tomorrow with Bailey :(

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement