Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 2). **Read warning in 1st post**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Gamebred wrote: »
    Where did I say they arent allowed an opinion?,I watch most boxing thats on tv,I refuse to pay for for hyped up miss matches thus not buying for example Anthony Joshuas fights,how can I complain if I went and funded it? very strange people doing the same with Conor hate this match up but will 100% be glued to it,if you aint happy dont watch simple as that.

I forgot that the UFC went to PPV over here.

Never said dont discuss the merits of the match making,Im saying if you dont want to see matches of this type dont tune in save yourself the trouble,you are enabling them by watching them.

Once again Gamebred thinks he is in America.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Davei141 wrote: »
    I forgot that the UFC went to PPV over here.

No matter what I reply to that your going to wheel out the ''I have bt for football'' line thats been used before :rolleyes:

No matter what I reply to that your going to wheel out the ''I have bt for football'' line thats been used before :rolleyes:

Wut? Do people buy BT only for McGregor fights? So pay for BT and boycott something you have already paid for. Quite the genius. I don't even have BT, i use torrents as i don't watch the events live.

Wut? Do people buy BT only for McGregor fights? So pay for BT and boycott something you have already paid for. Quite the genius. I don't even have BT, i use torrents as i don't watch the events live.

Of course you do,anyways if you do stream it for free you cant bad mouth it because your illegally streaming and contributing nothing to the men fighting for your entertainment,your opinion means absolutely nothing to me,good night enjoy streaming the fights the next day.

• Advertisement

Of course you do,anyways if you do stream it for free you cant bad mouth it because your illegally streaming and contributing nothing to the men fighting for your entertainment,your opinion means absolutely nothing to me,good night enjoy streaming the fights the next day.

:pac: Guess how much the UFC pays fighters from TV deals? I'll give you a hint. Zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

I would have preferred champions defended their belts more often yes, absolutely. "Decisions/tactics" is a funny way of saying injuries.

Well if a champion decides he wants to take longer breaks between fights when they have the title, and only fight at most twice a year, that creates larger waits between fights. This means if they do get injured the injury time is added on top of a large downtime already.

IMO Champions decide to pull out of fights when they have injuries that I think they would have fought through if they were chasing titles, making longer times between defenses.

Champions regularly make decisions to duck late replacements, meaning more time sitting out between defenses.

True injuries play a part but there are plenty decisions/tactics that mean champions sit out way more time than they should.

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Well if a champion decides he wants to take longer breaks between fights when they have the title, and only fight at most twice a year, that creates larger waits between fights. This means if they do get injured the injury time is added on top of a large downtime already.

IMO Champions decide to pull out of fights when they have injuries that I think they would have fought through if they were chasing titles, making longer times between defenses.

Champions regularly make decisions to duck late replacements, meaning more time sitting out between defenses.

True injuries play a part but there are plenty decisions/tactics that mean champions sit out way more time than they should.

Listen we both agree we would rather champs fought more often. We can also recognise this is a bit silly. Not 1 person asked for this rematch, it was all speculation about Edgar/Aldo. There was pretty much unanimous negativity when the news broke and even Nate Diaz thinks this is silly.

Listen we both agree we would rather champs fought more often. We can also recognise this is a bit silly. Not 1 person asked for this rematch, it was all speculation about Edgar/Aldo. There was pretty much unanimous negativity when the news broke and even Nate Diaz thinks this is silly.

I agree I’d much prefer this Diaz fight to be a year or so down the line from now, my issue is the faux outrage from many posters that he isn’t defending his title when they are completely silent about other champs kicking back at home for long periods.

If I had a choice I’d put Conor against Frankie but Conor v Diaz is far, far preferable to a fighter/champ who refuses to go into another camp for 6 months after his last fight.

If you want to say strip Conor then bring in a rule that any champion must defend their title within 4/5 months unless they have a UFC doctor saying they are unfit to fight or they’re stripped. You can then say goodbye to any superfights involving champions.

Foxtrol wrote: »
    I agree I’d much prefer this Diaz fight to be a year or so down the line from now, my issue is the faux outrage from many posters that he isn’t defending his title when they are completely silent about other champs kicking back at home for long periods.

If I had a choice I’d put Conor against Frankie but Conor v Diaz is far, far preferable to a fighter/champ who refuses to go into another camp for 6 months after his last fight.

If you want to say strip Conor then bring in a rule that any champion must defend their title within 4/5 months unless they have a UFC doctor saying they are unfit to fight or they’re stripped. You can then say goodbye to any superfights involving champions.

But the difference is if a fighter is out/injured for whatever reason you know for 100% certain he is going to defend his belt at some point. Depending on the outcome of these fights he may never defend the belt. If he is going to defend it 100% a few months after the Diaz fight vs interim title holder then fair enough but i'm not so sure. The RDA superfight made sense, making history etc. This will make money but so would McGregor making his first defence vs Edgar/Aldo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

But the difference is if a fighter is out/injured for whatever reason you know for 100% certain he is going to defend his belt at some point. Depending on the outcome of these fights he may never defend the belt. If he is going to defend it 100% a few months after the Diaz fight vs interim title holder then fair enough but i'm not so sure. The RDA superfight made sense, making history etc. This will make money but so would McGregor making his first defence vs Edgar/Aldo.

So it’s the fear of the unknown that is your problem then.

We don’t know what’s going to happen with any fighter at any time so stop fretting. Neither Aldo or Edgar would have been able to compete until July anyway so it’s not as if he’s singlehandedly held up a stacked division all year.

McGregor v Diaz (at a stupid weight class) is simply much better than a champ sitting on his ass doing nothing except clocking up days he’s held the belt/gone undefeated.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,168 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Dana is full of crap.

It shouldn't be JK or Conor's call. It's the UFC who book the fights and this one is a sham.
    All fighters and their coaches agree to their opponents. Surely you know that. They can't deny a guy a shot at the top to duck them, but they simply must agree to the conditions. There are more variables than the opponent. Especially dealing with short notice fights.

Apologies if you've clarified the above later, as I speed read through the last day or two of posts.
    Thats funny,you have a group of people crying about the match making yet watch every event,the irony.
    There's no irony in that tbh. I think you know that also.
    Im saying if you dont want to see matches of this type dont tune in save yourself the trouble,you are enabling them by watching them.

There are more options than watch/approve or don't watch/disapprove. The world is not binary.

Do you never look at a fight night card and think it's a bit mediocre. But you watch anyway, that doesn't mean you think it top drawer MMA.
    Some match-ups are inherently bad. Others are great. That opinion doesn;t exclude you from watching any fight though.

Dada 5000 v Kimbo v Shamrock v Royce... freakshow MMA. I have a massive issue with those kind of matches, but I still watched them. As did you I'm sure. Are you saying that you approve of those match ups because you watch them. :confused:

Mellor wrote: »
    All fighters and their coaches agree to their opponents. Surely you know that. They can't deny a guy a shot at the top to duck them, but they simply must agree to the conditions. There are more variables than the opponent. Especially dealing with short notice fights.

Apologies if you've clarified the above later, as I speed read through the last day or two of posts.

There's no irony in that tbh. I think you know that also.

There are more options than watch/approve or don't watch/disapprove. The world is not binary.

Do you never look at a fight night card and think it's a bit mediocre. But you watch anyway, that doesn't mean you think it top drawer MMA.
    Some match-ups are inherently bad. Others are great. That opinion doesn;t exclude you from watching any fight though.

Dada 5000 v Kimbo v Shamrock v Royce... freakshow MMA. I have a massive issue with those kind of matches, but I still watched them. As did you I'm sure. Are you saying that you approve of those match ups because you watch them. :confused:

That would be all true,If I came on here crying out of me about that freakshow like the guys are crying about Diaz McGregor but I didnt so its a moot point,

I watch all as much combat as I can from the UFC to local caged muay thai,I might not agree with some of the match ups but I dont cry online how its such a disgrace.

Kimbo v dada doesnt deserve to be on tv it should be in a slum some where its not an mma fight,royce and shamrock are only fighting for the pay cheque...

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Gamebred wrote:
    ...cant blame them its a fair fight,Ill be watching it anyways on friday so I cant slate it.
    ;)

TBF you the same about not slating at much at the time.
    But I still think it's funny. :D

Mellor wrote: »
    ;)

TBF you the same about not slating at much at the time.
    But I still think it's funny. :D

:D:D:D Your some boyo

I was glued to that epic card cant wait for royce rematch either ha

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭lougal88

I'm getting pretty fed up of reading the "You'll still watch it though" argument from McGregor fans.

Of course I will still watch it. I'm a huge fan of MMA. I'm not just tuning in to see McGregor beat to take pleasure in his defeats. I'm also a big Edgar fan and have been for years. It's about time the man got what's been promised to him.

At the end of the day it's a farce.
    If Rockhold decides he isn't fighting Weidman/Jacare/Bisping and goes after the Heavyweight title it'll be met by similar grievances. Weidman vs Bisping for an Interim MW title while Rockhold faces Roy Nelson maybe? :P

Also the argument of that's the money fight etc. What do we care as fans about lining the Fertitas pockets?
    Surely other MMA fans want to see the fighters who fought their way to the top fight, rather than ego fights to see who can make the most money.

Rant over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭WarZ

Ido Portal needs to be told where to go if Connor is to have any chance in this fight.

I think we won't be seeing Ido Portal again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭JustShon

WarZ wrote: »
    Ido Portal needs to be told where to go if Connor is to have any chance in this fight.

At this stage we could have an "Official hating on Ido Portal thread" and it would be nearly as popular as this one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

WarZ wrote: »

What exactly do you think Ido Portal does? He's basically a mobility warmup, it's like giving out about McGs physio or masseuse

lougal88 wrote: »
    I'm getting pretty fed up of reading the "You'll still watch it though" argument from McGregor fans.

Of course I will still watch it. I'm a huge fan of MMA. I'm not just tuning in to see McGregor beat to take pleasure in his defeats. I'm also a big Edgar fan and have been for years. It's about time the man got what's been promised to him.

If Rockhold decides he isn't fighting Weidman/Jacare/Bisping and goes after the Heavyweight title it'll be met by similar grievances. Weidman vs Bisping for an Interim MW title while Rockhold faces Roy Nelson maybe? :P

Also the argument of that's the money fight etc. What do we care as fans about lining the Fertitas pockets?
    Surely other MMA fans want to see the fighters who fought their way to the top fight, rather than ego fights to see who can make the most money.

Rant over.

I’m a fan of Edgar, and would prefer him to be fighting Conor than Diaz, but I can’t say he’s been exactly screwed over. Edgar had three title fights in a row and lost all three (albeit some controversially), his FW shot was after two consecutive losses, his recent run aside from Mendes (who debatably shouldn’t have been allowed in the ring) haven’t really been world beaters, is getting an interim title shot after the champion being inactive for only 7 months (remember all the complaints about McGregor v Mendes being for interim when the champion was inactive for 9 months at that point).

Your comparison is ridiculous, the difference between FW and WW is 25lbs while MW to HW is 85lbs. He’s also only really fighting a guy who is one weightclass bigger than him.

You seem confused about what a money fight is. Money fights don’t mean lining Fertitas pockets (that’s a byproduct) it’s the fights MMA fans want, and will pay, to see. It’s that simple. MMA purists might turn their nose up to it but it’s up to fighters to make themselves marketable enough to sell fights. That doesn’t purely mean trash talk but also style of fighting and pushing themselves out of their safe place and fighting guys outside their division.

Outside of some deluded feeling of ‘fairness’ I cant see how it’s bad for the fans. The world isn’t fair and neither is the UFC, people need to get over it.

Rant over.

Again,how do you ever expect the ufc to change their match making to suit you and many others if you continue to tune in? you all have towed the line that your not just tuning into mcgregor which is garbage talk you'd watch Diaz McGregor if it was on alone tomorrow,

The facts are the paying public want to see this fight again and will tune in to see it,the pity for edgar is a joke nobody cared about him or anyone else at 145 till Conor shook it up,if anybody is being ****ed over its Aldo who was undefeated for a long long time as champion,he 100% deserves an immediate rematch,will I cry because hes not getting one? no,its a waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

nobody cared about him or anyone else at 145 till Conor shook it up,

Nope that was just you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭JustShon

Again,how do you ever expect the ufc to change their match making to suit you and many others if you continue to tune in?

This is an excellent point. I work in marketing and if my customers spent every waking hour moaning about the company's products online but still bought them constantly I'd keep going as it is.

The question at the end of the day, for any company, is "Are we selling?"

If UFC start to lose viewers they'll change their tune but as long as their numbers are level or growing they're going to keep doing things as is because the figures tell them it's working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Rant over.

Edgar should get what's promised to him?

The ufc pays him. He has had shots, why should he get special treatment?

If he doesn't like it he knows what he can do.

JJayoo wrote: »
    Nope that was just you.

Ha good one,the division was dead in the water with bums like Lamas getting title shots,so stop looking for a debate that isnt there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Charlie Haughy

nobody cared about him or anyone else at 145 till Conor shook it up

Take your hyperboles and leave you utter UFC bandwagoner. Thats complete nonsense. Maybe to a casual like yourself its true.

Take your hyperboles and leave you utter UFC bandwagoner. Thats complete nonsense. Maybe to a casual like yourself its true.

I refer you to my post above.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Edgar should get what's promised to him?

The ufc pays him. He has had shots, why should he get special treatment?

If he doesn't like it he knows what he can do.

Go and get beat by Bendo in Bellator?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement