Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Huawei b593s-22

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Discodog wrote: »
    Same here. I wonder if one should pop in in a phone once in a while & make some calls, so that it looks like a phone.

You are over thinking this! It works and the most you have to loose is a €20 top up just be happy it works.

It can't look like a phone unless you change the User Agent that your browser supplies when it makes a request. So if anyone is actually looking its obvious what you are doing there are also a whole load of other things that give away what you are doing. You can change the User Agent but then the sites you connect to will think you are connecting with a mobile phone and provide there pages optimised for mobile use.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,868 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

my3cents wrote: »
    You are over thinking this! It works and the most you have to loose is a €20 top up just be happy it works.

It can't look like a phone unless you change the User Agent that your browser supplies when it makes a request. So if anyone is actually looking its obvious what you are doing there are also a whole load of other things that give away what you are doing. You can change the User Agent but then the sites you connect to will think you are connecting with a mobile phone and provide there pages optimised for mobile use.

Very likely :)

I have just realised that the modem takes a full size sim & my phones a small one. Can the modem send & receive texts?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Very likely :)

I have just realised that the modem takes a full size sim & my phones a small one. Can the modem send & receive texts?

It can send and receive texts OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭editorsean

If your mobile is connected to the Huawei router over Wi-Fi, you can also use the HiLink App for SMS. This was useful with Meteor to send the 'balance data' SMS message to check my remaining allowance. I don't think the App bleeps when an SMS comes in as I generally only noticed a new SMS came in when I actually went into the App.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

editorsean wrote: »
    If your mobile is connected to the Huawei router over Wi-Fi, you can also use the HiLink App for SMS. This was useful with Meteor to send the 'balance data' SMS message to check my remaining allowance. I don't think the App bleeps when an SMS comes in as I generally only noticed a new SMS came in when I actually went into the App.

I have been using the HiLink app but I didn't realize an SMS could be sent/received from it! I must give it a look tonight! I had been sending the off SMS by logging into the router directly myself.

I don't have VOIP setup on mine, I just plugged in the cordless/digital handset that the old tenants left in my apartment and it worked straight off, happy out it did, I now have a landline (kinda).

Cheers,
    M

• Advertisement

So a huge thank you to all the lads that posted here. My speeds have gone from barely half a Mb to 12 Mb & its peak time & that's without an aerial. I keep repeated speed & ping tests in disbelief :)

I can confirm that this ebay seller is fine.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131724811340

I was worried because it came with a logo for Kuwait & the previous apns were from there. But it was like new with the protective film over the display. I was tearing my hair out for ages because I couldn't get it to connect & in final desperation ticked data roaming - bingo :pac:

At least I know that I have the fall back of an aerial if I need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Welcome to 2007 :pac: :D;)

Glad you got it working

So how does connecting a phone work?

So how does connecting a phone work?

I just plugged mine directly into the grey telephone port on the back of the router and it worked fine.

I tried to send a reply to an SMS message last night using the HiLink app but it failed. I could read the SMS that came in using the app no problem. I think I saw in the admin section where I need to input a number, something like an SMS sending number\center number but I did not have time to try it last night. Does anyone know what the default number is for Three?

Thanks,
    M

Did you use a voip Skype handset?

• Advertisement

Did you use a voip Skype handset?

No, a Panasonic wireless\cordless handset. I can find out the model number for you tonight if you want?

madmoe wrote: »
    I tried to send a reply to an SMS message last night using the HiLink app but it failed. I could read the SMS that came in using the app no problem. I think I saw in the admin section where I need to input a number, something like an SMS sending number\center number but I did not have time to try it last night. Does anyone know what the default number is for Three?

Going by the Three website, it's +353830000800.

On my phone, the SMSC field shows (including quotes): "+353830000800",145

I'll try that in the router tonight and thanks!

No, a Panasonic wireless\cordless handset. I can find out the model number for you tonight if you want?

I have a couple of DECT phones. So you plugged the base station in?

I have a couple of DECT phones. So you plugged the base station in?

That's exactly it mate. Give it a go sure, I was surprised mine worked but it was fine.

Does anyone know if you make landlines calls or calls to other mobiles outside the 'free' weekend times how much are you charged per minute? Does this come out of the €20 you topped up with?

Thanks,
    M

That's exactly it mate. Give it a go sure, I was surprised mine worked but it was fine.

Does anyone know if you make landlines calls or calls to other mobiles outside the 'free' weekend times how much are you charged per minute? Does this come out of the €20 you topped up with?

Thanks,
    M

Afaik it does. I am surprised that this works. It's handy because otherwise you'd have lots of credit building up.

I am guessing that you don't get a dial tone 🙂

Afaik it does. I am surprised that this works. It's handy because otherwise you'd have lots of credit building up.

I am guessing that you don't get a dial tone 🙂

No dial tone but as soon as you press the call button after inputting the numbers it goes through almost immediately. I noticed that it beeped twice in most cases as the numbers I was calling during the 'free' weekend times were not people who were on the Three network.

Checked in the settings and that was already in there. Tried to send an SMS using the app but it keeps failing :-( I can send it form the router when I am logged in now problem!?

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Kenny Powers

Lads, could someone tell me how to flash the generic firmware to this router, I unlocked it and downloaded the firmware but I can't get it on to it. I tried using the multicast tool and no joy.

I finally got my B593S-22 which I bought from the Latvian seller on eBay that has various used ones listed. It took just over 2 weeks to arrive, mainly because the seller took 4 days to ship it. So this seller seems fine if you're not in a hurry.

The one I received has LMT branding on the box and the front of the router. However, the GUI itself seems to have generic Huawei firmware including VoIP (which I didn't test). It had various LMT settings preprogrammed, so it's unclear whether it was debranded or that cellular provider supplied their routers with the OEM firmware. I added the iD Mobile APN and it connected straight away with my SIM loaded.

From my first impression, it is definitely a worthwhile upgrade from a dongle, especially for anyone living in a weak signal area.

I have been using a panel antenna aimed out the skylight (not E coated glass) in the loft with my dongle and managed to hit 18Mbps down once with careful positioning of the antenna. With the dongle on its own, I could barely get a usable connection no matter where I positioned it. However, with the B593 placed in the same spot as the antenna, I got my fastest speed to date on iD Mobile considering this is with a weak 2 bar 4G signal.

5HkeKi4Ns.BREmbVt2G.png

Now just need to wait on FME to SMA adapters so I can attach the antenna to the router. The original dongle has TS9 connectors which I had FME adapters for. I later plan mounting the antenna outside in place of the former WISP dish.

Someone asked me a while back how to change the default APN on the B593 (can't remember where), so here's the process:
    1. In the Huawei GUI, go into the Internet tab at the top.
    2. On the left menu, go into APN Management.
    3. Add the APN (if not listed) - Give it any name for 'Profile name', enter the APN in the 'APN:' field, leave other fields unchanged and click 'Submit'.
    4. On the left menu, go into Network Connection.
    5. For the 'Profile:' option, open the drop-down list and select the profile name that was specified above.
    6. Click 'Submit' and allow a minute to restart the connection.

• Advertisement

I have unused call credit on a Three payg sim in my 593. I am guessing that I need to put the SIM in my phone to spend the credit in the Play Store.

Is there any potential problem doing this? Will it effect the sim when I put it back in the 593?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I have unused call credit on a Three payg sim in my 593. I am guessing that I need to put the SIM in my phone to spend the credit in the Play Store.

Is there any potential problem doing this? Will it effect the sim when I put it back in the 593?

Not that I have noticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭-=al=-

You can transfer phone credit to Xbox live accounts and playstation network too... Pretty useful if you have lots that builds up. I usually send phone credit to my Xbox account and a charity once a month. It covers the cost of Xbox live for a year and buys a few games!

http://www.hmvgamecredit.com/IE

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

Can someone recommend a decent external antenna for me please

I bought an s22 second hand but it doesnt have any kind of antenna at all. It can still pick up 3G (4/5 bars)but im hoping if I put an external antenna outside that I might pick up 4g as well. Even a steady 3G signal would be an improvement over Eircom

I would try & test it first. Antenna don't always make much of an improvement. Put the Netmonitor app on a 4g phone. It will tell you which mast the phone is connecting to. Try it in the attic, different rooms etc. Even try climbing to where the aerial will be.

If you pick up any 4g signal on the phone, you should get a good enough signal on the 593

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

I can see the mast from the bottom of the garden, and can get 1 bar of 4g here. Just need an antenna to put onto the roof of the house to try get above some trees beside the house blocking line of sight at ground level

• Registered Users Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

I have a digital cordless phone connected into my router and I can make and receive calls perfectly! It was a fellow Boardsie that gave me the idea!

Hi madmoe
    Could you share some details how you managed this. Is there need for specific phone/equipment.
    Thanks

I have a digital cordless phone connected into my router and I can make and receive calls perfectly! It was a fellow Boardsie that gave me the idea!

Hi madmoe
    Could you share some details how you managed this. Is there need for specific phone/equipment.
    Thanks

I have an normal landline phone handset plugged into mine & it works. Great way to use up that spare credit :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

I have an normal landline phone handset plugged into mine & it works. Great way to use up that spare credit :)
    I would like to do the same but getting busy tone on it and not shore if there is problem with my phone(some old i found in the shed "Southwestern Bell S1200") or i missing some settings?Help!!
    Thanks

• Advertisement

I would like to do the same but getting busy tone on it and not shore if there is problem with my phone(some old i found in the shed "Southwestern Bell S1200") or i missing some settings?Help!!
    Thanks

I don't remember changing any settings. Might be an idea to try another handset.

Advertisement