Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I hate the M50 [Warning post #222]

Options

Comments

A park-n-ride system only works well when it is consistently faster than the alternative drive to work, the problem is that usually a successful park-n-ride scheme will free up the motorway, thus making it quicker than the park-n-ride and commuters may return to the car.

If the park-n-ride was "free", then it may remain in use, even if the motorway is quicker. Most commuters are willing to pay a lot to stay in their cars, even if the pt alternative is cheaper & more convenient.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭FalconGirl

Good quality accomodation needs to be built upwards close to the city centre. The city is sprawling to far out. People travelling in have little faith in out shoddy public transport systems and commuting by car. Can you blame them? Investment will suffer if these issues are not dealt with. Unfortunatly it's not a quick fix.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

errlloyd wrote: »
    How on earth is your colleague going to get from the dart to Leapordstown? (I actually have a friend who is contemplating this same problem).
    there's a bus service run by the people who own the business park we're in - runs from blackrock DART station to our business park. i think it was part of the planning conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,839 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Y can't buses ply from west mainly Lucan and blanch into sandyford . I work in sandyford and loads off guys in my office live in the west , travel m50 everyday. 1 bus would take out 100 cars from the road . Or a park and ride in west . Interested to know the pros and cons of the same unless there's a strict regulation on buses plying on motorway

short of putting a bus lane on the M50 between certain hours (is that possible) maybe 7-9am and 4:30-6:40pm Monday to Friday, I don't see what benefit it would offer, with that, yeah sure, the time savings could be considerable (when schools are open and in bad weather)

in terms of adding more lanes to the M50, the cost would be outrageous, better to build the eastern bypass in that case... with that in place and maybe MN and DU, you could start multi point tolling the entire M50 circle potentially...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Idbatterim wrote: »
    short of putting a bus lane on the M50 between certain hours (is that possible) maybe 7-9am and 4:30-6:40pm Monday to Friday, I don't see what benefit it would offer, with that, yeah sure, the time savings could be considerable (when schools are open and in bad weather)

in terms of adding more lanes to the M50, the cost would be outrageous, better to build the eastern bypass in that case... with that in place and maybe MN and DU, you could start multi point tolling the entire M50 circle potentially...
    If the motorway was tolled for every car entering it, people would reconsider. However, whilst busses can and do use the motorway, they shouldn't pay any toll.
    The motorway is near saturation point. People don't want to get out of their cars. Therefore they should be encouraged to do so by both making PT more favourable and also making car usage less attractive (i.e. financial or time based)!
    There should be no consideration given to widening the M50 at all. That is not a sustainable solution. I'd also suggest that given the likely cost, an Eastern by-pass is not an option either!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Roadhawk

I have only read a handful of posts on this thread. I think there should be a second ring road parallel to the M50. any thought?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »

With so many other projects pending you are right in saying that it will never happen. Definitely a solution for general motorists.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Patww79 wrote: »

There's the small matter of the Wicklow Mountains National Park to get through on the southern side. What's your solution for that?

it looks to me, that the upgrade could have had one more lane in each direction without effecting bridges etc, is that possible?
    There's the small matter of the Wicklow Mountains National Park to get through on the southern side. What's your solution for that?

there is also the other issue, people at non peak times will definitely go the shorter route, i.e. the M50 (unless the new route didn't have a toll), it would make a difference at peak hours. Also how long would this new route be in km?! When a DU and MN with full PP are knocked on the head a few weeks back, due to mickey mouse money, I cant see the outer ring road starting any time soon...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Alun wrote: »

The Wicklow mountains are hills in comparison to other mountain ranges around the world. We could do what other advanced countries do and core through them or go around them.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Roadhawk wrote: »
    The Wicklow mountains are hills in comparison to other mountain ranges around the world. We could do what other advanced countries do and core through them or go around them.
    The height of them is pretty irrelevant here, they're still in the way, and there's no way on earth anyone would be allowed to build a major road through the middle of them. Yes, you could tunnel through them I suppose, but how much would a 20+km tunnel cost to build?

As for going around them, you'd end up going a hell of a lot further south than 15km, probably ending up somewhere near Arklow which wouldn't benefit anyone in N. Wicklow / S. Co. Dublin area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Roadhawk wrote: »

You do know that people actually use the Wicklow mountains today - for their livelihood, their homes, their leisure activities, their businesses. It's not just vacant space waiting for the next motorway to come through.

Snowballs in hell have a better chance...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,664 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

The outer Road would only need to go from the m9 to the m1. Would take serious pressure off the m50, given there'll be another 100,000 houses in Dublin in the next 5 years most of them close to the M50

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

it looks to me, that the upgrade could have had one more lane in each direction without effecting bridges etc, is that possible?
    Adding another lane will cost money but not solve the problem; it is just kicking the can further down the road (excuse the pun). The problem will still exist.
    Tyson Fury wrote: »
    The outer Road would only need to go from the m9 to the m1. Would take serious pressure off the m50, given there'll be another 100,000 houses in Dublin in the next 5 years most of them close to the M50
    You're still looking at car based transport policy. This is not sustainable (never was and never will be) and we need to get out of that mindset. A massive project to build another ring road around Dublin is not value for money, whatever the cost. Due to crap government policies in terms of housing and transport over the decades, we now urgently need alternative forms of transport to remove the congestion. Otherwise, the problem will not go away.

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Building in the wrong place again!:mad:

There should be some more housing in the city for the people who work in the city!

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭agent graves

how long does it take to drive from trim to tallaght using the M50? and is there anyway to avoid it? i do not usually use it but iv been told it gets backed up alot around the tallaght area..

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

For PT to work, there will have to be a fundamental change in HOW it works, there are too many places that don't have an acceptable service without going all the way into the centre of Dublin and back out again, which is both expensive and inappropriate, which means out of town hubs served by regular high capacity fast links, none of which exist at the moment, and that's where the Metro and rail concepts were so important as a part of the whole, but we don't have the planners or the politicians with the vision to come up with any sort of scheme that comes even close to meeting this requirement.

A classic example, Swords is less than 15 Km from Ashbourne, to get there by PT is either take a bus to the airport, (1 per hour) and then DB to Swords, or go all the way into Central Dublin and back out again, which is not far short of a 2 hour commute, and even the airport service, to be in Swords before 9, you'd be leaving Ashbourne before 7:45. No one in their right mind does that, so the road from Ashbourne to Swords is well busy at peak periods with single occupancy cars. In the same vein, try to get from Swords to Ballyfermot by PT, my grand daughter was doing that for 12 months, and it's another near enough 2 hour nightmare, so to be in college for 9, she was having to leave Swords before 7, and if there were any sort of problems with traffic, or the regular problem of a service that was scheduled but didn't arrive, she was late. That makes for a very long day, and it really should not take 2 hours to commute these distances. That's where a Metro that covers the same areas as the M50, with decent bus feeders and associated Park & Ride services would make a lot of sense, as long as the speeds and interconnection options are good, which is not so simple with Luas type technology, so it would need to be either underground or Heavy Rail without level crossings.

Won't happen in my lifetime, even if the budget surplus hits double digits, the only thing that will get our gombeen politician's attention is if large multi nationals start leaving town because they can't get the quality of staff they want for a price they can afford, which may well become the case a lot sooner than some of them realise. Perhaps if we had some politicians with real experience of working in business, things might be different, but while we keep stuffing Leinster House with teachers and other state services employees, we're not going to see any significant or meaningful change.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

kbannon wrote: »
    Adding another lane will cost money but not solve the problem; it is just kicking the can further down the road (excuse the pun). The problem will still exist.

You're still looking at car based transport policy. This is not sustainable (never was and never will be) and we need to get out of that mindset. A massive project to build another ring road around Dublin is not value for money, whatever the cost. Due to crap government policies in terms of housing and transport over the decades, we now urgently need alternative forms of transport to remove the congestion. Otherwise, the problem will not go away.

A ring of rail around the city would make far more sense than more roads or widening the M50. Connecting the dart and or mainline rail North and South of the city.

• Advertisement

I understand that and agree, I just mean to me it looks like, when they did they upgrade a few years ago, they could have fit in an extra lane, doing it now would be insane obviously...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Perhaps if we had some politicians with real experience of working in business, things might be different, but while we keep stuffing Leinster House with teachers and other state services employees, we're not going to see any significant or meaningful change.

'real experience of working in business' - you mean like Charlie McCreevy, successful accountant, operated a medium-sized accountant practice, and prime architect of our economic collapse with his 'If I have it, I spend it' mantra?

Perhaps if we had voters who got over themselves and moved on from simplistic 'private sector good, public sector bad' thinking, we might see some meaningful change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

Good idea, move a pile of people out of cars on to Public Transport, make more room for me and my car. Thanks guys

RainyDay wrote: »
    'real experience of working in business' - you mean like Charlie McCreevy, successful accountant, operated a medium-sized accountant practice, and prime architect of our economic collapse with his 'If I have it, I spend it' mantra?

Perhaps if we had voters who got over themselves and moved on from simplistic 'private sector good, public sector bad' thinking, we might see some meaningful change.

I don't regard accountants as being business in the way of making critical decisions that influence the future direction of the company, and based on a number of very bad experiences with a number of companies across a wide spectrum of industries, for me personally, accountants are in the same league as ambulance chasing solicitors, and I despise both.

As for Private/Public, the fundamental difference there is very simple, and the core of so many issues that we face with infrastructure in this country. If you get it wrong in the private sector, that can in the worst case destroy the company, if it doesn't, depending on the severity of the "wrong" it can mean a change of employment, with all that entails, for the person or team that got it wrong

Get it wrong in the public sector, and there's zero risk to the organisation, and in too many cases, the person or team responsible for the mistake is more than likely to get promoted out of that department into another, with glowing references, on the basis that if they're moved, they can't do any more damage to the department they were in.

We've seen countless massive failures in the public sector (PPARS, Irish Water, HSE, Ringsend Incinerator project to name a few) and the one significant aspect of all of these failures has been than there have been no dismissals, or firings, and in some cases, the people responsible for the failures are moving up the ladder rather than down it.

To go back to the M50, when that was first put as a line on a map, over 25 years ago, there would have been no problems at all to have allocated the necessary space around all the critical junctions to enable full speed free flow junctions, with no traffic lights, or other restrictions to the operation, but for reasons best known to the planners, we ended up with a cut price mess that had to be changed almost before it was finished, and to make things worse, those same "planners" decided to put a light rail system through the middle of the busiest junction in the country, and when they discovered that it didn't work, the land to sort it out had been developed rather than being zoned for the future road develpment, so we still have a mess that can't work properly, and now never will without astronomic cost implications to remove things that have been put in the wrong places. That's down to state employees and politicians, (some of which have been proven to have been corruptly influenced) not the private sector, and most of the public transport is also not private sector.

As an example, (and I don't like all of the way they do things, but I can't deny their success) Ryanair have gone from strength to strength in their activities over pretty much that same period of time.

I totally agree in relation to the above, they have all absolutely failed! Not just on infrastructure, look at the crap going up in the dockland, why not build far higher density where people actually want to live? Rather than just exacerbate the problem and then have the added issue of endless sprawl and unsustainable transport! They really dont have a clue here and it really has ridiculous repercussions!

I really feel f**cked over by the current crop of old backward Ireland who seem to run everything here, from the politicians, civil servants etc... It will be interesting to see the difference when the celtic tiger generation get into power, many will have traveled the world and hopefully will be far less conservative...

I mean you listen to some of the high positions in private sector companies here, then you listen to politicians, and its no wonder so much here is so bad, the politicians are gombeen embarrassments for the most part! Genuinely as I live in Dublin, what do these gombeens campaign on? getting pot holes filled, looking for world class services in every village and sticking it to Dublin?

Good idea, move a pile of people out of cars on to Public Transport, make more room for me and my car. Thanks guys
    Grand. You will find that any sustainable solution will not favour single car occupancy!

I mean you listen to some of the high positions in private sector companies here, then you listen to politicians, and its no wonder so much here is so bad, the politicians are gombeen embarrassments for the most part! Genuinely as I live in Dublin, what do these gombeens campaign on? getting pot holes filled, looking for world class services in every village and sticking it to Dublin?
    Politicians are elected into office by the people!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

Grand. You will find that any sustainable solution will not favour single car occupancy!

not in my lifetime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

errlloyd wrote: »
    How on earth is your colleague going to get from the dart to Leapordstown? (I actually have a friend who is contemplating this same problem).

114 is a Dart feeder. Wouldn't that work?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

gogreen81 wrote: »
    Not closely following the thread but as someone mentioned about Meath.
    Y can't buses ply from west mainly Lucan and blanch into sandyford . I work in sandyford and loads off guys in my office live in the west , travel m50 everyday. 1 bus would take out 100 cars from the road . Or a park and ride in west . Interested to know the pros and cons of the same unless there's a strict regulation on buses plying on motorway

There are 15 junctions on the M50.

To provide an express link between each would require 210 buses. Ok so not all of these are going to be necessary so let's say just a quarter.

50 buses; just to provide one return service. That isn't going to be enough at peak time, not everyone want to start at the same time and they certainly don't want to be stuck with no choice of leaving times either. What if they can get off early on Wednesdays, well they won't use the bus if there isn't one at that time will they, so an hour journey time at 15 min frequency needs 8 buses, good news is we have combined the 50 into 25 as each full service route is now providing a pair of commutes. Still now we are at back to 200 buses.

Now there is locations, one bus from each junction is not going to be able to cover the sprawling location of housing in the GDA. A commuter from Navan is not going to sit on a bus for 30 minutes winding around Clonsilla, Mulhuddart and Blanch before it evn gets to the M50 when they could be flyin' down the M3 at 120kph.

So now we need several buses from each junction and don't forget each junction has roads going both ways, no way will commuters want to be crossing the M50 to pick up in Ashtown or Cabra so those areas will need their own routes as well.

So now we have easily 5 or 6 routes from that one junction X all the exit junctions X all the other entry-exit combinations.

800-900-1000 buses? That is the entire Dublin Bus fleet doubled just to provide a proportion of current M50 car commuters with a Public Transport alternative competitive enough that they might consider ditching their beloved car for (except when it is cold and wet and they don't fancy the walk to the bus stop).

But that isn't the question you asked is it? A bus from your gaff direct to your office at precisely the time you want to leave at? No problem at all, what time shall I pick you up at?

The good news is that the bus market in Ireland is semi liberalised, if you think you know of an untapped market then go ahead, start up your own bus route, the really great thing is that if you do find yourself a money-spinner the regulatory framework will protect you from competition so you ar practically guaranteed a success. It makes one wonder why none of the established bus companies have tried orbital M50 commuter routes?
    If the motorway was tolled for every car entering it, people would reconsider. However, whilst busses can and do use the motorway, they shouldn't pay any toll.

Currently buses pay higher tolls than cars at every toll in the country bar the DPT (and East-Link which is free for CIE vehicles only), as well as that they are not able to use the express lanes which are height-restricted for cars only so have to queue in the manual lane while cars whizz by.
    The motorway is near saturation point. People don't want to get out of their cars. Therefore they should be encouraged to do so by both making PT more favourable and also making car usage less attractive (i.e. financial or time based)!
    There should be no consideration given to widening the M50 at all. That is not a sustainable solution. I'd also suggest that given the likely cost, an Eastern by-pass is not an option either!

About the only advantage we have in Ireland is that there is a whole world of examples, good and bad from other cities to draw conclusions from in how to deal with traffic and development.

Lesson 1: Building bigger faster roads into cities for commuting only increases unsustainable car traffic and ever more remote satellite towns to generate more car traffic which clogs the new roads to worse levels than ever before.

More lanes, more roads, more free-flowing junctions are not the answer. They just make it easier for more and more cars to jam into the next bottleneck at faster rates. Just look at Newlands Cross; an instant increase in the volumes thanks to the removal of the junction there which limited the numbers able to approach M50 J9. Suddenly jams started at the M50 and Long Mile Rd jcts as they were unable to cope with the extra throughput from the N7.

• Advertisement

Buses on the M50 won't work at the moment, as there is no priority system to get them past all the queues, and there's no preferred toll rate for buses, and no park and ride or interchange stations that would be essential to making a fast transit system work. The present wander round all estates, and take half an hour to get out of the local area is not what's needed, the concept of rapid transit doesn't exist even on the DART, which is not Rapid Transit when compared to many other places that are. The ideal concept that desperately needs the Metro systems is that a number of bus routes feed into a Metro station, which then provides the fast link onward into the city, or round the M50 ring, and connects at those feeder stations into other routes that feed in and out of their local areas. That's the issue that kills effective PT at present, there's no fast longer distance services that are not city centre oriented, and Dublin's work areas are very much outside of the city centre now.

There's also no way that buses can or will replace all car journeys, but there are plenty of other cities where an integrated PT system does work, but it's a system that includes buses, and rail, which is the failing of the present system, Dublin doesn't have the rail connectors that would make longer journeys in a reasonable time scale possible.

Much of the problem with Dublin is the lack of alternative crossings of the Liffey, and that's applicable to both road AND rail, but at this stage, with the way that potential reservations for rail have now been built on, the only remaining option is underground, which is massively expensive compared to surface rail.

The other problem is that buses from outer suburbs are not express services, they stop at as many places closer to the city as they do in the outer areas, what would make a lot more sense would be to have non stop services from places like Santry, or Finglas, or Blanchardstown or Lucan, or Tallaght, or Cabinteely (there are others) that only serve a very limited number of stops, on a set down only basis at peak periods, (or pick up outbound at return peaks), with the full every stop services not going the distances that they do now. That also needs interchange capabilities, at places (for example) M3 Parkway, there should be no stops for the 109 (for example) between M3 Parkway and Busaras, (Via DPT) the intermediate stops should be covered by DB services that interchange at M3 Parkway.
    Same concept for services to (eg) Drogheda or Dundalk, non stop from Busaras to the Airport, and then back on to the M1 to get to the places further out, with places like Balbriggan also served by express services that don't stop every 100 metres when inside the M50 ring, that should be the job of local services that don't go much beyond the M50.

To make this work would need changes to the LEAP concept, to recognise a change of service from one to another at a point that's an interchange, rather than a final destination, which LEAP seems not to be capable of dealing with very well right now.

I'm not convinced that the people planning PT are actually looking at the bigger picture, partly because of the issues around the very real problems of making any change within DB or BE or Irish Rail, it seems to require a year's negotiation with the unions to change a route, let alone introduce a new one, which raises the question of who is actually running these companies.

What would be very interesting, if it could be done, which I doubt, would be to get all the users of the M50 toll on a particular day, to complete a survey of the start and end point of their journey, and the frequency of that journey, to get a more specific survey of the use of the route, rather than the guess work that seems to be the norm these days. I suspect it would reveal a lot of journeys that are completely impossible in a sensible time frame by PT at present. That might provide some options for new routes going forward.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement