Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rail - Risk of Strike Action

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Ctrl Alt Delete

they cannot be replaced to the high standard required and thats the end of it. when it comes to jobs like train driving you pay for what you get

Oh really, so what exact proof can you offer that shows the EU standards that Irish Rail operates to is somehow better in Ireland than the rest of the EU ??? Hell I'll even take you showing me proof of Irish Rail drivers being of a "higher standard" than their EU counterparts. Can't offer any didn't think so :P:P:P:P

Before you reply you might want to have a quick Google and read of the European Communities (Train Drivers Certification) Regulations 2010

For the record and transparency I worked in Irish Rail so I'm well aware of requirements, standards and policies at International, EU and Irish level in relation to it and the fact that they are all the same EU wide.

So again your point is mute, but please do continue :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

lxflyer wrote: »
    The bottom line in terms of where the company is currently from a financial perspective is that the revenue from passengers dropped significantly in a very short space of time, while at the same time costs did not fall in the same manner.

PSO funding fell as a result of the passenger numbers dropping - that's a fact of life.

Fully agreed, however it's worth pointing out that now services have started to increase their passenger numbers, the PSO is being increased in line with that and it it continues to do so I'm sure that further rises will be considered upon their own merit in future years and budgets.

Fundamentally the business cannot be run at a loss every year and accumulated losses have had an impact on the business and that has to be recognised. Running a business at a huge loss every year and just increasing the funding to cover it no matter what just creates a bottomless pit and will do the state overall no positive effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

So my point is they haven't the courage of conviction to actually forego a full days pay.

Unfortunately I cannot do anything for you if you choose to stay ignorant of facts and decide to make up your own history or only understand half of that history. But before you declare a winner of the unions remember that they did not beat Regan by not returning to work, because the fact is they couldn't LEGALLY return to work until Bill Clinton repealed the law that banned them from being rehired that just under 1,000 of them actually were :P:P:P:P

So then if they are paid on par with their EU counterparts what is their problem unless of course they are greedy self serving tools, who caused chaos this morning.
    they are not greedy or self serving. the strike was necessary

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭CosmicJay

Necessary even though they got fired and their families fell into poverty, but its a victory.

Next time I lose at something in a humiliating fashion I'm going to use your logic and say I won. Everybody wins.

So says you, but funnily enough the majority of people in this thread (and elsewhere seem to think differently)

• Advertisement

CosmicJay wrote: »
    Hilly Bill wrote: »

How so?

If a person is able to avail of a perk which is not officially backed by their company it is still an inherent perk.

I.e Jimmy the DART driver gets on a bus, says to Tony the Bus Driver 'Hey, I'm a DART driver'. Tony lets Jimmy on for free.

Ask any DART driver, it exists.
    where does it exist
    Oh really, so what exact proof can you offer that shows the EU standards that Irish Rail operates to is somehow better in Ireland than the rest of the EU ??? Hell I'll even take you showing me proof of Irish Rail drivers being of a "higher standard" than their EU counterparts. Can't offer any didn't think so

For the record and transparency I worked in Irish Rail so I'm well aware of requirements, standards and policies at International, EU and Irish level in relation to it and the fact that they are all the same EU wide.

So again your point is mute, but please do continue
    i don't believe you worked at irish rail. no irish rail employee past or present would show the blatent contempt you do for our boys. just wouldn't happen.
    Necessary even though they got fired and their families fell into poverty, but its a victory.

Next time I lose at something in a humiliating fashion I'm going to use your logic and say I won. Everybody wins.
    that post referred to irish rail drivers. the ATC is off topic and not being discussed any more by me as i've said my bit on it. done, dusted.
    So says you, but funnily enough the majority of people in this thread (and elsewhere seem to think differently)
    the majority of people elsewhere? did you do a survey as i'd love to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

It would presumably boil down to which drivers were due to operate which DARTs. They would be going back onto their regular rosters.

So did we have to wait for a driver change and that delayed the start to 0940?
    There were 4 trains due to depart Bray between 0900 and 0932, if drivers only clocked in at 0900, would at least 1 or 2 of them not have been clocking in at Bray or Greystones and been able to operate 1 or 2 of the trains?
    Is there normally a significant gap between someone clocking in and starting to drive a train?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

The bottom line in terms of where the company is currently from a financial perspective is that the revenue from passengers dropped significantly in a very short space of time, while at the same time costs did not fall in the same manner.

PSO funding fell as a result of the passenger numbers dropping - that's a fact of life.

I get the impression some people want to have their cake and eat it.

IE should be able to operate in a cost effective manner, and with best commercial practices - that is what, as a taxpayer, I would expect. Doing that, should result, after PSO funding is taken into account, in the company at the very least breaking even.

It certainly should not be a bottomless pit in which to shovel state funding.

Passenger numbers fell of course but the subsidy was cut far in excess of those numbers falling. Even though the trains mightve been reduced in size the services themselves still ran.

I agree the company should be run at best value but at the same time an evenhanded apporoach shouls be taken as well. You cant simply say well give you an increase for these productivity measures and then when the drivers give their share for the company to turn around and say they want more instead of living up to their end. Not doing so leads to breakdown in trust and industrial mayhem.

Also have to ask questions as to why things were allowed to deteriorate this far in the 1st place. These things dont pop up out of nowhere and I would believe the unions saying that the company is acting the bollocks and question the management what the hells happening. Multiple sources in the media are quoting the company negotiation team for being the ones at fault since any progress thats made is immediately shot down whenever the company negotiators went away to talk to their bosses instead of those bosses being in the room in the 1st place. That leads me to be believe management seemed happy enough to let this happen. These talks went on for two weeks and nothings come of then. There was warning of this months ago and again nothing. That makes me believe Franks is blocking everything.

Realistically noone wanta to strike but a time comes when you have to stand up to be taken seriously or you just get walked all over.

where does it exist

I don't know how you were unable to understand that post.

that post referred to irish rail drivers. the ATC is off topic and not being discussed any more by me as i've said my bit on it. done, dusted.

Yet you quoted Ctrl_Alt's post about Regan and the ATC strike and offer a rebuttal about he is wrong but you are not talking about them?

That seems like some of that fancy logic.

• Advertisement

i don't believe you worked at irish rail. no irish rail employee past or present would show the blatent contempt you do for our boys. just wouldn't happen.

That's your prerogative but having worked in procurement over a number of years at Inchicore I can assure you it means I've a very in depth understanding of engineering & driving standards as well as other Irish Rail operations, so any kind of tripe you throw at me I will have an actual answer not just the generalisations you come out with.

But at the end of the day you are so one sided and blinded to the fact that you have to support "our boys" you can't actually see the wood from the trees

• Registered Users Posts: 17,584 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

So did we have to wait for a driver change and that delayed the start to 0940?
    There were 4 trains due to depart Bray between 0900 and 0932, if drivers only clocked in at 0900, would at least 1 or 2 of them not have been clocking in at Bray or Greystones and been able to operate 1 or 2 of the trains?
    Is there normally a significant gap between someone clocking in and starting to drive a train?

Well given you have DART drivers operating out of both Fairview and Bray, yes you probably would.

Those DARTs before 09:40 may be rostered for Fairview drivers - they presumably would have been still in Fairview.

The 09:40 may be a Bray roster.

That's the problem - drivers would be in the wrong location.

I don't know how you were unable to understand that post.
    where can i read about free travel on bus eireann and dublin bus for train drivers?
    Yet you quoted Ctrl_Alt's post about Regan and the ATC strike and offer a rebuttal about he is wrong but you are not talking about them?

That seems like some of that fancy logic.

i had finished my points on it. thats that. the post is easy to understand. if you can't, thats your problem. i've moved back to train drivers. simple

That's your prerogative but having worked in procurement over a number of years there it means I've a very in depth understanding of engineering & driving standards as well as other Irish Rail operations, so any kind of tripe you throw at me I will have an actual answer

you haven't had an answer so far. just insulting the drivers
    not just the generalisations you come out with.

there have been no generalizations from me
    at the end of the day you are so one sided and blinded to the fact that you have to support "our boys" you can't actually see the wood from the trees

yes, i will support and respect our boys for standing up for themselves. its my duty as far as i'm concerned to support anyone whoever they may be standing up for themselves by striking. workers rights. i will always cary out my duty

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

they cannot be replaced to the high standard required and thats the end of it. when it comes to jobs like train driving you pay for what you get

and it would seem we are paying quite a lot for what we are getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,584 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Infini2 wrote: »
    Passenger numbers fell of course but the subsidy was cut far in excess of those numbers falling. Even though the trains mightve been reduced in size the services themselves still ran.

I agree the company should be run at best value but at the same time an evenhanded apporoach shouls be taken as well. You cant simply say well give you an increase for these productivity measures and then when the drivers give their share for the company to turn around and say they want more instead of living up to their end. Not doing so leads to breakdown in trust and industrial mayhem.

Also have to ask questions as to why things were allowed to deteriorate this far in the 1st place. These things dont pop up out of nowhere and I would believe the unions saying that the company is acting the bollocks and question the management what the hells happening. Multiple sources in the media are quoting the company negotiation team for being the ones at fault since any progress thats made is immediately shot down whenever the company negotiators went away to talk to their bosses instead of those bosses being in the room in the 1st place. That leads me to be believe management seemed happy enough to let this happen. These talks went on for two weeks and nothings come of then. There was warning of this months ago and again nothing. That makes me believe Franks is blocking everything.

Realistically noone wanta to strike but a time comes when you have to stand up to be taken seriously or you just get walked all over.

Sorry, but the drop in PSO subsidy is not the real reason for this. It would not make up the difference. It's a convenient smokescreen. The bottom line is that company costs remained too high while passenger revenue tanked, and the costs were not cut quickly enough - people may not want to hear it, but that is the reality. And in any company the biggest cost is normally payroll.

I'm not sure how you can quite blame management for not seeing the recession coming - no one did. But most companies responded rapidly to it. IE had to go through rounds and rounds of protracted negotiations for several years, while losses continued to mount, and nothing happened on that front until 2014. That simply is nonsensical, and to me, as someone who did take a large reduction in pay in 2009 in order that I might still have a job to go to, and as a taxpayer, it frankly is not acceptable.

CEOs don't normally attend HR negotiations - but of course they will ultimately have the final say - that's their job.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

How so?

If a person is able to avail of a perk which is not officially backed by their company it is still an inherent perk.

I.e Jimmy the DART driver gets on a bus, says to Tony the Bus Driver 'Hey, I'm a DART driver'. Tony lets Jimmy on for free.

Ask any DART driver, it exists.

It still doesnt count towards their weekly salary now does it? plus its not a gimme that you can get on a bus for free.
    If jimmy says to tony that he's a dart driver its more likley that this tony would say €3:50.

you haven't had an answer so far. just insulting the drivers

Exactly, I'm still waiting for any answer from you regarding my questions on how Irish drivers are of a higher standard than EU drivers.

Hell I've even helped you with giving you specific legislation and EU directives so you can and read it.

You make yourself seem more and more dogmatic with each post, especially trying to claim I've not been specific :P:P:P:P

It still doesnt count towards their weekly salary now does it? plus its not a gimme that you can get on a bus for free.
    If jimmy says to tony that he's a dart driver its more likley that this tony would say €3:50.

No but it's still considered a perk, non - cash items are still a bonus.

I know you wouldn't be the most up to date on Ptax and Revenue guidelines but all I'll say is trust me.

look lads, this isn't about the financial state of IR

in all of railway history , the drivers always had a particular position of power, unlike most grades on the railway, they are needed on a daily basis

as a result that gives them considerable industrial muscle, and they use that from time to time. the exact reasons are irrelevant.

The state has a long history of powerful trade union groups holding key industries to ransom, witness the deep water port strike in Waterford for example, a strike that destroyed the port.

IN this regard IR has ultimately two choices, whinge, moan and twist in the wind, and pay up , or shut the system down.

so they will pay up and the nett result , is that more and more state subvention goes into IR salaries and less and less goes into the infrastructure. the staff get a little richer , the rail system gets a little poorer and more " cost cutting " exercises are then undertaken . This usually involves not replacing staff, so that existing staff get put upon and then look for more money, . wash, dry and repeat

the end result is a mainline train system, with a halt in Dublin and Cork with two trains, 6 very expensive drivers , and three passengers paying 1000 euros a pop

• Advertisement

Haaaaaaaa comedy gold, day made. /thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

BoatMad wrote: »
    indeed the operable word being " paying" and quality , little of which is visible
    There's nothing to indicate that Irish Rail are being paid anywhere near enough, for providing adequate quality - people can't complain of bad quality, while simultaneously encouraging slashing of costs.

It's the simple narrative threads like this keep rolling back to:
    It's pointed out how if you want good quality, you have to pay for it, and that at present not enough is being paid to provide it - and then it just keeps devolving back to soundbites which split up those two concepts "quality is not good enough", "they shouldn't complain about their pay" etc. - without any connection of the two, and realization that there needs to be a lot more funding to achieve a quality service.

Nobody is going to provide a quality service, at current funding levels - there needs to be a huge increase.

Nobody is going to provide a quality service, at current funding levels - there needs to be a huge increase.

which outside Dublin , isn't financially justifiable given the poor reach of railways, the dismal numbers travelling and the general ineffectiveness of the service , track standards and infrastructure in many places, a system that takes 2 hours to run from Dublin to gorey is not delivering value for money in any respect.

The fact is state run railways are too expensive for a sparse populated island like ireland, all we are seeing is its death throes

No but it's still considered a perk, non - cash items are still a bonus.

I know you wouldn't be the most up to date on Ptax and Revenue guidelines but all I'll say is trust me.

Now i know that you are just taking the proverbials.

Now i know that you are just taking the proverbials.

Your own lack of understanding of remuneration guidelines does not mean that I am taking the ''proverbials''.

You should read up on some of it, might prevent you from being wrong in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

The aim of CIE/Irish Rail is to provide cheap and efficient transport, this is particularly important to agriculture, industry and tourism.

It becomes a financial drain when an excessively large amount of money is being pumped into a blackhole which is unable to provide a basic standard of service.

The government does not have to constantly cover Irish Rails losses, yes it is a semi-state body but that does not mean it constantly has to operate at a loss. I would rather see money invested into healthcare, education and tax cuts rather than an aging and ailing Rail System full of entitled overpaid inefficient crybabies.

If the government has to constantly provide funding to Irish Rail to cover losses they service will never actually improve as rampant inefficiencies get worse.
    You don't get to decide what constitutes 'excessive' amounts of money - what do you know about their accounting?

It's the same talking point people use again and again: No matter how many cuts there are, no matter how much funding has been reduced, there will always be many uninformed people bleating on about 'inefficiencies' and 'excessive' spending - because they think economics can safely be reduced to a false 'balanced budget' understanding of how things should be funded.

The whole idea that you have to starve a public service to fix 'inefficiencies' (usually mythical inefficiencies which you can't even quantify, only provide anecdotes on) is stupid.

Your whole definition of 'efficiency' seems to revolve around a balanced-budget - that's actually inefficiency, because we're not going to have a public transport rail service efficiently providing social benefit, on a balanced-budget.

Efficiency is defined here, as providing social benefit - it is not defined as having balanced economic turnover.

Cheap and efficient in this case, are mutually exclusive - one or the other, not both - good quality public transport is inherently expensive.

Your own lack of understanding of remuneration guidelines does not mean that I am taking the ''proverbials''.

You should read up on some of it, might prevent you from being wrong in the future.

Keep fishing, you haven't a clue have you. :)

There's nothing to indicate that Irish Rail are being paid anywhere near enough, for providing adequate quality - people can't complain of bad quality, while simultaneously encouraging slashing of costs.

It's the simple narrative threads like this keep rolling back to:
    It's pointed out how if you want good quality, you have to pay for it, and that at present not enough is being paid to provide it - and then it just keeps devolving back to soundbites which split up those two concepts "quality is not good enough", "they shouldn't complain about their pay" etc. - without any connection of the two, and realization that there needs to be a lot more funding to achieve a quality service.

There's nothing to indicate that they aren't being paid too much, as BoatMad above said its a dying, aging, horribly inefficient state run body who needs to hand the keys over to a state body or company that can actually do the job.

Keep fishing, you haven't a clue have you. :)

It would appear that you don't, you still haven't actually given a valid reply to my original point.

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

So they striked (stroke?) and are now back at work.
    Assuming neither side budges do the unions have a mandate already for another strike or have they to go back to ballot again?

Advertisement