Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The elephant in the room thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

The above Granada is quite famous around various forums for all the wrong reasons.
    If you buy that car what are you buying, a Granada with effectively no paperwork?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

might be stolen even!

Insure it under that number and the car you bought isn't insured. Time for a crackdown

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Gmin

Down at the Gerard Murphy memorial run last weekend and I could not get over the amount of "elephants" of various marques that were on display.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭The Big Red Fella

Gmin wrote: »
    Down at the Gerard Murphy memorial run last weekend and I could not get over the amount of "elephants" of various marques that were on display.
    So what ya see tell us more lad?

my guess is a lot of 1100L model and 1300autos.

• Advertisement

It's only getting worse each year now. Some cars are passing through different hands now too.
    I know id be very pissed off if I had bought a car that isn't what it's meant to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Gmin

The most obvious ones where Mini's.I reckon someone must have had a biscuit tin full of old Kilkenny reg Mini's as the amount of IP ones on early to mid 90's Minis was hard to ignore although there was one genuine early 70's IP one.I know of one woman who bought an ID swapped Mini in the South East in good faith and when she went to have it tested it was found to be a plate swap.She never got the car back on the road again and had to break it for parts.She bought the Mini in Limerick.Spotted a Morris Minor with the same treatment as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Seweryn wrote: »
    Shure it's not even built yet -!! Still could argued that it's legal because of the newish body on an old chassis ( I know it's a new chassis but still it's a loophole )
    But how can you rebody a mini ? And if someone buys one and there's a crackdown who's gonna get the blame .

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Markcheese wrote: »
    Shure it's not even built yet -!! Still could argued that it's legal because of the newish body on an old chassis ( I know it's a new chassis but still it's a loophole ) .
    If that is the case, then fair enough. I understand that the chassis has its own VIN number, the body is replaceable, so if a newer body fits on an older platform, I see no problem there.
    I believe the Mini has unitary body construction, so probably a problem there...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,369 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Seweryn wrote: »
    If that is the case, then fair enough. I understand that the chassis has its own VIN number, the body is replaceable, so if a newer body fits on an older platform, I see no problem there.
    I believe the Mini has unitary body construction, so probably a problem there...

If the Mini was rebodied in the UK under UK rules, that would be OK. The UK require that a certain percentage of the original car goes into the rebodied car - engine, gearbox, transmission, subframes etc. It is done on a point scheme - not sure how the Irish authorities would take it.

Strange to think of a Mini as an elephant!

Seriously Sam, how many 1966 mini parts can you see in that Donedeal Ad ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,369 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    Seriously Sam, how many 1966 mini parts can you see in that Donedeal Ad ?

I think the trunk is a bit of a give away!

:D

Under the Uk scheme you had to use a new shell for monocoques (i.e. a Heritage manufactured shell in the case of Mini's).
    If using a new shell you would at least have to retain the original engine.
    Otherwise you would be stuck with a 'Q' Plate....which would be practically impossible to register here as a 1966 car.

TBH I don't have a problem with Mini's using a Donor shell....if they retain most of the earlier mechanical bits. But to just stick 1960's plates on a 90's Car.....at least make an effort :rolleyes:.

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    Under the Uk scheme you had to use a new shell for monocoques (i.e. a Heritage manufactured shell in the case of Mini's).
    If using a new shell you would at least have to retain the original engine.
    Otherwise you would be stuck with a 'Q' Plate....which would be practically impossible to register here as a 1966 car.

TBH I don't have a problem with Mini's using a Donor shell....if they retain most of the earlier mechanical bits. But to just stick 1960's plates on a 90's Car.....at least make an effort :rolleyes:.

That Mini has hidden hinges and wind-up windows. Didn't the 1966 mini have hinge down number plates? As you say, if that is a 1990 Mini so it should have a VIN plate somewhere.

It would need a lot more than just the engine and gear box.
    2. Vehicles that have been
    rebuilt using a mix of new
    and/or used parts
    To keep the original registration number:
    Cars and light vans must use:
    the original unaltered chassis or unaltered monocoque
    bodyshell (that is, the body and chassis as one unit);
    or
    a new chassis or monocoque bodyshell of the same
    specification as the original. A receipt from the dealer
    or manufacturer is required.
    AND the vehicle must have two other major components
    – as listed below – from the original vehicle.
    Suspension (front and back)
    Axles (both)
    Transmission
    Steering assembly
    Engine
    If a second-hand chassis or monocoque bodyshell is
    used, the vehicle must have Individual Vehicle Approval
    (IVA) or Single Vehicle Approval (SVA) (see section 11). A
    ‘Q’ registration number will then be issued (see section 7).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Blue850

DSC04541.jpg

Harder to spot, but this is a Nelly too, 1910s Longford reg on a 1920s Renault

DSC04643_1.jpg

Austrian coachbuilder plate with chassis number

Link to Bonham's auction of Renault in 2006

"The car appears to have the remains of the original Austrian registration number on the rear plate: ‘W2223’ and comes with the original Austrian logbook in German." :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭Silvera

^^^ Excellent detective work!
    Was that at the Clonmel show?

That must be the oldest 'elephant' we've had in this thread?!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Blue850

Silvera wrote: »
    ^^^ Excellent detective work!
    Was that at the Clonmel show?

That must be the oldest 'elephant' we've had in this thread?!:eek:

Yes, at Clonmel, was delighted to see the old Irish reg RHD Renault and then googled Strakosch Renault:rolleyes:

Quality spot there! As I have said many times it's gone beyond ridiculous in the last few years. That's the oldest pup Iv seen though!

• Advertisement

The current lack of a decent historical registration series is not helping this situation either.
    Neither ZV or year plates are fit for purpose, in my eyes anyway.
    What will happen here is the NCT regs and taxation with get a big squeeze one of the days.

If the Mini was rebodied in the UK under UK rules, that would be OK. The UK require that a certain percentage of the original car goes into the rebodied car - engine, gearbox, transmission, subframes etc. It is done on a point scheme - not sure how the Irish authorities would take it.

Strange to think of a Mini as an elephant!

It's a big "if" and quite a cute disclaimer isn't it!

It's a big "if" and quite a cute disclaimer isn't it!

If that was rebodied legitimately then it would have to be the same vintage and that one has hidden door hinges. It is probably metric as well, and has a VIN number somewhere. It would also need the original A series engine.

Yes, as I said, it's a big "if"

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭CianDon

Another wee shly one but obviously who ever is at it hasn't fully grasped the plate swapping craic. Looks a mundane enough old Mini, but doesnt show up on the NCT system, and the reg comes back as a 1.6 diesel Ford Fiesta :confused:
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/1989-mini/10672968?offset=8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭H.E. Pennypacker

CianDon wrote: »
    Another wee shly one but obviously who ever is at it hasn't fully grasped the plate swapping craic. Looks a mundane enough old Mini, but doesnt show up on the NCT system, and the reg comes back as a 1.6 diesel Ford Fiesta :confused:
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/1989-mini/10672968?offset=8

Cartell.ie shows it as a Mini City E. The NCTS site shows it as the same make/model but looks like its due an inspection.

What site did you use that showed it as a Fiesta?

https://www.cartell.ie/ssl/servlet/beginStarLookup?registration=89ky4309

http://www.mywheels.ie/free-car-check-report/?VRN=89ky4309

Cartell.ie shows it as a Mini City E. The NCTS site shows it as the same make/model but looks like its due an inspection.

KY reg...I swear that was cork registered yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Must be a pink elephant.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭CianDon

KY reg...I swear that was cork registered yesterday

Absolutely, was up as 89-C with different pics when I posted it. Hmmmmmm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

CianDon wrote: »
    Absolutely, was up as 89-C with different pics when I posted it. Hmmmmmm

Could have been a genuine mistake.

Advertisement