Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting Stuff Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Seems that children from religious backgrounds have a much harder time separating fact from fiction.

Judgments About Fact and Fiction by Children From Religious and Nonreligious Backgrounds

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/cogs.12138/full
    Abstract wrote:
    In two studies, 5- and 6-year-old children were questioned about the status of the protagonist embedded in three different types of stories. In realistic stories that only included ordinary events, all children, irrespective of family background and schooling, claimed that the protagonist was a real person. In religious stories that included ordinarily impossible events brought about by divine intervention, claims about the status of the protagonist varied sharply with exposure to religion. Children who went to church or were enrolled in a parochial school, or both, judged the protagonist in religious stories to be a real person, whereas secular children with no such exposure to religion judged the protagonist in religious stories to be fictional. Children's upbringing was also related to their judgment about the protagonist in fantastical stories that included ordinarily impossible events whether brought about by magic (Study 1) or without reference to magic (Study 2). Secular children were more likely than religious children to judge the protagonist in such fantastical stories to be fictional. The results suggest that exposure to religious ideas has a powerful impact on children's differentiation between reality and fiction, not just for religious stories but also for fantastical stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

^^ reminds me of :)

Study finds studies are wrong

Based on an attempt to replicate published studies, many failed. Among the reasons given were small sample size and a culture to not criticise senior colleagues in the field. It seems like the social sciences are facing many credibility issues.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/28/science/many-social-science-findings-not-as-strong-as-claimed-study-says.html?_r=0

The past several years have been bruising ones for the credibility of the social sciences. A star social psychologist was caught fabricating data, leading to more than 50 retracted papers. A top journal published a study supporting the existence of ESP that was widely criticized. The journal Science pulled a political science paper on the effect of gay canvassers on voters’ behavior because of concerns about faked data.

Now, a painstaking yearslong effort to reproduce 100 studies published in three leading psychology journals has found that more than half of the findings did not hold up when retested. The analysis was done by research psychologists, many of whom volunteered their time to double-check what they considered important work. Their conclusions, reported Thursday in the journal Science, have confirmed the worst fears of scientists who have long worried that the field needed a strong correction.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 33,934 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

silverharp wrote: »
    a brief intro into computational ethics , the idea that AI in the future will have to be programmed to make ethical decisions

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Laws_of_Robotics ? (cba to watch video :p )

Life ain't always empty.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Not religious...but

The Horribly Slow Murderer with the Extremely Inefficient Weapon by Richard Gale

The New Yorker casts an eye back over Cotton Mather and the Salem Witch Trials:

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/09/07/the-witches-of-salem?mbid=social_facebook

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

http://www.paviliontheatre.ie/events/view/an-evening-with-richard-dawkins

Going myself. Thought other folk here may be interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

legspin wrote: »
    http://www.paviliontheatre.ie/events/view/an-evening-with-richard-dawkins

Going myself. Thought other folk here may be interested.
    Oh nice thanks, signed up.

Booked!

I think a pint or two afterwards will be called for...

ETA: Mrs Desiato wants to know if there is anywhere in the area that serves gluten-free Hawaiian pizza. Now that's a heresy on two counts :pac:

Life ain't always empty.

ETA: Mrs Desiato wants to know if there is anywhere in the area that serves gluten-free Hawaiian pizza.
    There's a Milano in Dun Laoghaire a few yards from the library which does gluten-free pizzas. Not so sure about the pineapples though :)

http://www.milano.ie/pdfs/files/SPRM15_MIL_MAIN_003084_LR.PDF

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,361 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

a new one on me - andorra's co-ruler (along with (currently) francois hollande) is a catholic bishop, and it's a postion which comes with his role in the church:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joan_Enric_Vives_Sic%C3%ADlia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,407 ✭✭✭TheChizler

a new one on me - andorra's co-ruler (along with (currently) francois hollande) is a catholic bishop, and it's a postion which comes with his role in the church:

That's a QI piece of trivia right there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I thought HQ had banned them from political office way back.

Is it a new one, or is one of the other ones with a funny shaped head? Only trial by anthropologist combat can decide......

"Homo naledi: New species of ancient human discovered, claim scientists
    Bones found in South African cave are Homo naledi, a new species of ancient human relative, say researchers, but some experts are sceptical of find"
    http://www.theguardian.com/science/2015/sep/10/new-species-of-ancient-human-discovered-claim-scientists

Anyone with a thing about small spaces might want to dodge the diagram there.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,063 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Nodin wrote: »
    Is it a new one, or is one of the other ones with a funny shaped head? Only trial by anthropologist combat can decide......

Bones found in South African cave are Homo naledi, a new species of ancient human relative, say researchers, but some experts are sceptical of find"
    http://www.theguardian.com/science/2015/sep/10/new-species-of-ancient-human-discovered-claim-scientists

I was warned, but still looked. 8 inches. Arrrrgh

looksee wrote: »
    I was warned, but still looked. 8 inches. Arrrrgh

The question "how did they go through that?" arises on two levels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

They missed a trick in not calling these lads Gollums.
    Especially after finding the Hobbits a few years ago in Asia.

I think I know what the "superman's crawl" section of the cave is about.
    I was down a very tight chute a few years ago, and told the only way through was to adopt the superman crawl position; one arm forward to pull yourself along, and one arm back towards your leg. That way your shoulders are squeezed into a diagonal, and you wiggle along. Never again.
    "Dragon's back" must be an even worse contortion, I suspect the vertebrae would suffer terribly.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Michael OBrien

Nodin wrote: »

I am excited to see how they will date it and when they do how old the bones are. I am betting close to the 2 million mark (younger than 2), probably a cousin species not a direct ancestor.
    Report will be exciting no matter what age they turn out to be, but the popular media will probably feck it up with all sorts of nonsense as usual.

interesting little prediction/observation on the next big "anti" , the 2000's was the Anti Theist decade , in the last couple of years Anti Feminist seems to have caught on as observed by popular channels like Thunderf00t morphing as so. the next Anti could be progressivism in general.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

OK, so Richard Dawkins only took off as an atheist because of 9/11. Then he and his buddies all moved to anti-feminism, and now the next big thing for these trendies is to become conservatives. Right so. ;)

recedite wrote: »
    OK, so Richard Dawkins only took off as an atheist because of 9/11. Then he and his buddies all moved to anti-feminism, and now the next big thing for these trendies is to become conservatives. Right so. ;)

I didn't take that from it , Dawkins has a specific niche , so he will keep doing what he does. I have noticed though that some of the atheist channels are tackling topics related to other cultural vandals .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,843 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

recedite wrote: »

I did a bit of Googling about the creator of that video, he seems to be connected to the "Men Going Their Own Way" movement, so naturally he'd have a bone to pick with progressivism.

Is there no merit to simply stating your position as anti-bull****?

What ism is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

silverharp wrote: »
    interesting little prediction/observation on the next big "anti" , the 2000's was the Anti Theist decade , in the last couple of years Anti Feminist seems to have caught on as observed by popular channels like Thunderf00t morphing as so. the next Anti could be progressivism in general.
    The next Anti is already here, silverharp. It's Anti Muslim. Had you not noticed?

I did a bit of Googling about the creator of that video, he seems to be connected to the "Men Going Their Own Way" movement, so naturally he'd have a bone to pick with progressivism.

there is a queue , where I noticed it first was the Youtube channel Atheism is Unstoppable, he started out as mostly poking fun at christians but now spends most of his time going after the far left progressives on Islam, and race etc. I cant say I agree with everything he puts out but given the way the US is , if you have fox at one end the "Anti Fox" networks are sounding just as kooky these days like TYT

Peregrinus wrote: »
    The next Anti is already here, silverharp. It's Anti Muslim. Had you not noticed?

that will be a long burn I guess. What I see there is that most people arent interested in actually learning about Islam because its far too tedious to learn about. Whats more interesting is the reaction to it , you have the religious right, broadly Liberal and left progressive. If you like to think of yourself as a Liberal then both extreme look equally flawed

Weird.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/bizarre-leaflet-claims-to-offer-mobile-euthanasia-1.2351391
    Mystery surrounds a bizarre leaflet drop in North Dublin claiming to offer euthanasia services in Ireland.

Tranquillity Euthanasia claims to offer a mobile automated service to clients that is sensitive and legal.

Euthanasia and assisted suicide are illegal in Ireland, while they are legal in Belgium and Switzerland.

The glossy, four-page leaflet says the organisation is Irish-owned and has worked hand-in-hand with engineers in Belgium and a legal team in Switzerland to develop its “euthanasia portal”.

This allows clients to “take that last step in life at a time of their choosing, in comfortable surroundings, in dignity without fear of legal repercussion”.

The leaflet then explains the nine easy steps to “eternal tranquillity”.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,063 ✭✭✭✭looksee

No! Dub - Dubendorf, not Dublin!

National Geographic sells itself. To climate-change deniers, Rupert Murdoch and the general Fox News hivemind. Viewers are not happy.

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/09/viewers-vow-boycott-after-rupert-murdoch-buys-natgeo-cash-triumphs-over-conservation-conscience/

looksee wrote: »
    No! Dub - Dubendorf, not Dublin!

:confused:

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement

I'd say the tranquility thing is a spoof by some anti-euthanasia people, designed to generate public outrage. Thereby preparing a hostile environment for any politician thinking of publicly supporting any changes to the current laws which make it illegal for relatives to travel or help in any way with a terminally ill person's possible trip to a Dignitas centre abroad.

Advertisement