Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

agreed - great visibility for the busking festival great music in the Dennis Burke Park today - and on a shoestring - just leaves me with more questions about what the junction festival are doing at all.

When you look at the budgets involved for both its a genuine question, but I brought that argument up elsewhere a year ago and got some nasty responses. I remember junction being a decent "for everyone" festival somewhat like the busking festival but now it seems to me like its a behind closed doors event for the few.

Serious kudos to the organisers of the busking festival, what a festival it has turned out to be and getting better every year. Can't wait for next year..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,389 ✭✭✭cml387

When you look at the budgets involved for both its a genuine question, but I brought that argument up elsewhere a year ago and got some nasty responses. I remember junction being a decent "for everyone" festival somewhat like the busking festival but now it seems to me like its a behind closed doors event for the few.

Serious kudos to the organisers of the busking festival, what a festival it has turned out to be and getting better every year. Can't wait for next year..

It's a question of who you know.

cml387 wrote: »
    The town is being buzzed at the moment by a small aircraft,

I've seen it a few times before, always in the evening.

Does anyone know who's giving the free show?

This has me worried...What do you mean being buzzed? I read in the paper a while ago about planes,and contrails..It said they were spraying stuff from the planes..What size plane was it?...Was there anything come from the back of it? Someone should look into this!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,449 ✭✭✭touts

This has me worried...What do you mean being buzzed? I read in the paper a while ago about planes,and contrails..It said they were spraying stuff from the planes..What size plane was it?...Was there anything come from the back of it? Someone should look into this!!

Bloody illuminate testing their mind control drugs over Clonmel again..... give Mattie McGrath a ring and ask him to bring it up in the Dail.

There's a guy who takes photos with a drone. Can't find his name, it could be him.

• Advertisement

There's a guy who takes photos with a drone. Can't find his name, it could be him.

No, this was a low winged full sized small aircraft. If I'd had the binoculars out in time I could have read the reg.

touts wrote: »
    Bloody illuminate testing their mind control drugs over Clonmel again..... give Mattie McGrath a ring and ask him to bring it up in the Dail.

Would it be anything to do with the water charges..They might be taking pictures of who left them put in the meter,or maybe they can read the meter from the air.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Would it be anything to do with the water charges..They might be taking pictures of who left them put in the meter,or maybe they can read the meter from the air.

They are probably using cml387's binoculars !!

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭All in all

Hi, does anyone know if there are any barbers in Clonmel open late on Thursday or Friday nights?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

elverys moving away from market street to menarys , remember when market street was one of the busiest places in town , absolutely nothing there now ,

• Advertisement

pudzey101 wrote: »
    elverys moving away from market street to menarys , remember when market street was one of the busiest places in town , absolutely nothing there now ,

It's a pity as it's a nice pedestrian area with a lot of potential. Unfortunately the exorbitant rates have a lot to do with it being idle and there doesn't seem to be any will to help matters.

Elverys move is a good one imo. Menarys is a prime spot and should bring them more custom.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

The county council and their ridiculous rates drive me insane. Would they not rather lower the rates to get some money at least coming in rather than having all units empty and no rates being paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Loughc wrote: »
    The county council and their ridiculous rates drive me insane. Would they not rather lower the rates to get some money at least coming in rather than having all units empty and no rates being paid.

What kind of rent are we talking about for Market Place ?

Everybody talks about extortionate rent/rates in in Market Place but never says exactly what they are now.

Everybody talks about extortionate rent/rates in in Market Place but never says exactly what they are now.

I don't know what they are but the last 2 or 3 businesses I know to have pulled out of there have all blamed rates for their move. I know one or two people who have enquired about opening up there and decided not too because of the sane reason.

I don't know what they are but the last 2 or 3 businesses I know to have pulled out of there have all blamed rates for their move. I know one or two people who have enquired about opening up there and decided not too because of the sane reason.

Well I know someone who left there and moved to someplace else in the town. Are rates higher in Market Place than anywhere else?
    I genuinely don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Tubberadora

One place still trading paying 14k per year and its not one of the chains...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭F34

Rates in Clonmel have remained at the same level since 2008!!! The council see nothing wrong with this and indeed are proud to point out that they haven't changed since 2008.

I remember present time pulling out of there and the rates were the main reason. Can't find it now but there is a website that gives the rates and the multipler for Clonmel.

The rates in Market place are the among the highest in town afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Can't understand why Council rates would be higher in Market place than O'Connell st.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭PatQfarmer

tippspur wrote: »
    Can't understand why Council rates would be higher in Market place than O'Connell st.
    Market Place was developed under a scheme where it was rate-free for 10years. The OPW decided the Rateable Value for the shops, surprisingly much higher than O'Connell St or Gladstone St.
    Because no one had to pay them at the time, no one appealed within the statutory time, so it became the legal RV.
    Most of Market Place rates are double Gladstone St rates.
    The CoCo cannot "change the rate", it is a statutory function.
    The only way the rates can be changed is via a whole-town revaluation. This is expected within the next few years, when OPW is finished doing same in Dublin, Cork & Waterford.

• Advertisement

PatQfarmer wrote: »
    Market Place was developed under a scheme where it was rate-free for 10years. The OPW decided the Rateable Value for the shops, surprisingly much higher than O'Connell St or Gladstone St.
    Because no one had to pay them at the time, no one appealed within the statutory time, so it became the legal RV.
    Most of Market Place rates are double Gladstone St rates.
    The CoCo cannot "change the rate", it is a statutory function.
    The only way the rates can be changed is via a whole-town revaluation. This is expected within the next few years, when OPW is finished doing same in Dublin, Cork & Waterford.

While they can't change the rate they can change the multiplier which is €56.77 which depending on your rate factor it can become a lot. As far as I know for the old present time premises it was over €200 so it's €56.77 * €200 giving rates of €11,300 that's rough figures think the time they closed the owner was saying the rates were close to 12k.

There is a newer rate system that is based on a business's revenue which is a much better system than the one currently used. But even in Cork the Council there have made a mess of it in that half of the businesses there are on the new system and others on the old one.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭PatQfarmer

F34 wrote: »
    While they can't change the rate they can change the multiplier which is €56.77
    I wish they would! But as they do a "Budget" first, then divide the cost of running the town by the Rateable Value, the multiplier is unlikely to drop anytime soon. If they did, everyones rates would be reduced accordingly...and they might run out of funding:rolleyes:

The money which should now be accruing to the council from the property tax may make the situation better in that they won't be attempting to garner income from such a small base (i.e the commercial properties).
    Food for thought for those vehemently opposed to the property tax at the time.
    And whatever happened to that protest?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

The money which should now be accruing to the council from the property tax may make the situation better in that they won't be attempting to garner income from such a small base (i.e the commercial properties).
    Food for thought for those vehemently opposed to the property tax at the time.
    And whatever happened to that protest?
    Except that the property tax money is now going to Irish water and not the councils.

tippspur wrote: »
    Except that the property tax money is now going to Irish water and not the councils.
    Exactly. So the councils no longer have the costs of water services to pay out of their income.

Hey wondering does anyone here know a guy driving around a 05 black Golf with German number plates with the German test stickers on them as well? What ever bulbs he's using in his headlights they are very blinding to other divers and dangerous. Would prefer not to go to the Gardaí if anyone knows him and wants to have a quiet word in his ear.

Hey wondering does anyone here know a guy driving around a 05 black Golf with German number plates with the German test stickers on them as well? What ever bulbs he's using in his headlights they are very blinding to other divers and dangerous. Would prefer not to go to the Gardaí if anyone knows him and wants to have a quiet word in his ear.

That could describe any number of cars, unfortunately.
    Nor would a quiet word in the ear do any good, as the lad has paid good money to make his car dangerous to other road users.
    You can report to the garda hotline 1890 205 805. If you don't leave a name they won't prosecute but it may go up on pulse and cause him some trouble in the future.

Matt Black?

Matt Black?

I'm not sure to be honest was so blinded by his lights i didn't notice lad driving it had short black hair. I'd say he has put hids into the lights without making sure they were suitable which they most certainly aren't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

If they are that bad I'd personally prefer you report it than he blind someone I know causing them to crash

Advertisement