Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling/Walking around the city

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,974 ✭✭✭thesandeman

snubbleste wrote: »

The footpath on SeanMulvoyRd (at the pitch) has the collapsing wooden fence being moved back ~1m and a new fence is being erected. The fence was falling due to the growth of trees and shrubbery.

Jeezuz!! Hope a certain Bohermore politician doesn't see that post. He'll have the riot squad in this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭what_traffic

It has reduced the exit from Merchants Road to one lane. Seems to serve very little purpose.
    City Council have form on this - doing road changes that make very little sense from all road user's perspective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

The National Transport Authority has published a new best practice guide for local authorities, which aims to address the crucial issue of permeability and severance in urban areas.
    Promoting walking and cycling as modes of transport is a key objective of the National Transport Authority, particularly for shorter length journeys. Historically many urban areas in Ireland have been designed without recognition of the importance of walking and cycling, which has resulted in travel by these modes being inconvenient, circuitous, and in some cases less safe than they should be.

In many locations, the preponderance of cul-de-sacs, and the lack of access links through estate boundaries, renders the walk or cycle to schools or shops significantly longer than the straight line distance and gives little choice to people other than the use of their car. This adds to local congestion, to the cost of people’s daily transport, to local air and noise pollution and it requires additional car parking at each destination. To compound all of these impacts, it also removes the potential for people to combine their trips to school, shops etc. with the health benefits of daily exercise.

https://www.nationaltransport.ie/news/permeability-in-existing-urban-areas-best-practice-guide/

This is long overdue, in my opinion. Here in Galway the norm is to make large residential areas impermeable to pedestrians, cyclists and bus users. In addition to the high walls around estates, pedestrian short-cuts are routinely closed off, bike paths are obstructed with kissing gates and car-dependent individuals and groups do their utmost to ensure that pedestrians and cyclists don't succeed in finding any shortcuts to schools, shops, bus stops or each other's homes.

I've only just seen the guide, and at first glance it doesn't appear to offer any solutions to the problem of impermeable estates closed off by high walls. I know of four adjacent estates, totalling a few hundred houses, where the only solution would be to demolish people's properties. Either that or build tunnels or elevated greenways, which will never happen.

The photo shows a wall smeared with axle grease in an attempt to stop people climbing over a wall to access the Western Distributor Road, itself a pedestrian-hostile environment.

356681.jpg

Iwannahurl wrote: »

The photo shows a wall smeared with axle grease in an attempt to stop people climbing over a wall to access the Western Distributor Road, itself a pedestrian-hostile environment.

356681.jpg

This it terrible. Any idea who did this?
    All the newer parts of Galway town have this kind of rubbish permeability.
    Which reminds me the Galway City Councils Smarter Travel bid there was a proposal to put a €10 million bus lane along the entire length of the WDR.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

Hi

Getting reports of a bad oil spill around the Monivea Rd. Apparently its all over the little back road that brings you up and over when you turn left out of Doughiska.

I understand it has also come out onto Monivea Rd itself at the junction with the small shop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,732 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Getting reports of a bad oil spill around the Monivea Rd. Apparently its all over the little back road that brings you up and over when you turn left out of Doughiska.

Google Maps calls it Ballybane More / Old Ballybrit Rd. No idea if that's the right name, but it kinda fits.

Galway Bay FM are giving some coverage to the need to fix the planning mess that is Knocknacarra.

http://galwaybayfm.ie/cyclists-say-knocknacarra-homes-may-need-demolished/

Not before time these issues got a hearing particularly with three new schools on the way.

Original submission is here (790kb)

http://www.galwaycycling.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/2015_GCC_Submission_Galway_City_Integrated_Traffic_Management_Programme.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Galway Bay FM are giving some coverage to the need to fix the planning mess that is Knocknacarra.

http://galwaybayfm.ie/cyclists-say-knocknacarra-homes-may-need-demolished/

Not before time these issues got a hearing particularly with three new schools on the way.

Original submission is here (790kb)

http://www.galwaycycling.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/2015_GCC_Submission_Galway_City_Integrated_Traffic_Management_Programme.pdf

Yep who needs a home when cyclists need a shortcut. Theres already a thread for this.

Yep who needs a home when cyclists need a shortcut. Theres already a thread for this.

Sure and that thread has a title that is clearly intended to be offensive and derogatory towards people who walk, cycle or use public transport in Galway. Even so the thread title has been left in place by the "mods" - clearly showing their position for all to see.

I would also observe that if someone had started a thread on lack of access in Knocknacarra the "mods" would have shut it down immediately and merged it into the "walking and cycling" thread.

But if someone starts a thread complaining about walkers, cyclists or pt users looking for improved access then it gets left out there by the "mods" .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Sure and that thread has a title that is clearly intended to be offensive and derogatory towards people who walk, cycle or use public transport in Galway. Even so the thread title has been left in place by the "mods" - clearly showing their position for all to see.

I would also observe that if someone had started a thread on lack of access in Knocknacarra the "mods" would have shut it down immediately and merged it into the "walking and cycling" thread.

But if someone starts a thread complaining about walkers, cyclists or pt users looking for improved access then it gets left out there by the "mods" .
    Well as someone who only walks and uses buses I didnt find it offensive in the least which it really isnt. Some folks are sensitive I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

I'm glad the National Transport Authority is "sensitive" enough to recognise the 'planning' mess created by Galway City Council, among others.
    It was commonplace for ... developments to be characterised by a preponderance of cul-de-sacs, high walls or railings with no breaks along long distributor roads, and with no linkages to existing development areas or to local services. ... The social objectives of planning ... were not met. In fact the exact opposite was achieved in many locations throughout Ireland, as segregation between development areas contributed to a general failure to foster community spirit and boost social capital.

These ... patterns, evident in many locations, have resulted in unprecedented dependency on the private car for trips for all purposes nationally. While public transport has also suffered due to the creation of complex and impenetrable road layouts, it is the ability to walk and cycle to local services, jobs and public transport itself that has been most noticeably affected.

https://www.nationaltransport.ie/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Permeability_Best_Practice_Guide_NTA_20151.pdf

With the schools back - has a Zebra crossing been installed at Salerno yet?Council were constructing some kind of crossing but seemed to leave it in limbo unlike the one at St Enda's?

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭buzz11

With the schools back - has a Zebra crossing been installed at Salerno yet?Council were constructing some kind of crossing but seemed to leave it in limbo unlike the one at St Enda's?

No change, the job doesn't appear completed yet (despite works starting last December...9 months ago!)

The pedestrian crossing lights (at the shop) are fitted but not operational.

The crossing at Salerno would have to be explained to understand what exactly its supposed to be. Its a wide raised speed bump but doesn't have zebra crossing white paint so unclear if its a speed bump or pedestrian crossing....

buzz11 wrote: »
    No change, the job doesn't appear completed yet (despite works starting last December...9 months ago!)
    Noticed this bad habit more and more from the Council. Not finishing small jobs around the city like this.

I think they started lots of things last December, probably using up left-overs from last year's budget. They only recently completed the move of the traffic lights outside AIB Eyre Square, started at the same time.

Hi

Does anyone here use the Thomas Hynes Road in Newcastle at rush hour?

I am interesting in finding out the effect of the painted islands have on the space left for cyclists at times of the day when there are large queues of cars.

The road markings in question can be seen in streetview.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.2835482,-9.072764,3a,75y,350.71h,65.79t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sY-t3C0T-wSgvd1DwWRg6lw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I don't use it regularly, but there is zero space for cyclists on the inside, therefore you cycle on the painted traffic island.

Is that not a cycle lane next to the footpaths on both sides?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

No

What is it then? An overtaking lane for pedestrians?

• Advertisement

It's not a cycle path, whatever it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

What is it then? An overtaking lane for pedestrians?

It's part of the footpath. It's just a different surface from being dug up to lay and replace cables, pipes etc..

Not much use as a cycle lane with Clr. Billy Cameron in the way...

369148.png

Two new steel bollards appeared on the footpath edge at Headford Rd between Tesco & Lidl - at a gated entrance to an empty plot.

They are plain dangerous there imho.
    Noted before that the bollard are made by Larkin Engineering..and Noel Larkin is a Councillor..

Two new steel bollards appeared on the footpath edge at Headford Rd between Tesco & Lidl - at a gated entrance to an empty plot.

They are plain dangerous there imho.
    Noted before that the bollard are made by Larkin Engineering..and Noel Larkin is a Councillor..
    I havn't seen them but that is the entrance to an ESB substation afaik.

I havn't seen them but that is the entrance to an ESB substation afaik.
    That's the one. https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.2793877,-9.0498447,3a,49.9y,86.41h,69.2t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s2GezBFWFlzdSjfWIivj7jw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

The narrow footpath is heavily used and the bollards restrict two-way navigation. There are no parking problems there nor is that gated entrance regularly used. I don't understand the placement logic

• Registered Users Posts: 25 JackyJoe

Wouldn't be surprised if someone in city hall though "You'd get a fair few caravans in there" Would be interesting to see if more sites like these suddenly get blocked off.

JackyJoe wrote: »
    Wouldn't be surprised if someone in city hall though "You'd get a fair few caravans in there" Would be interesting to see if more sites like these suddenly get blocked off.
    The bollards are on the footpath, in no way restricting the entrance to the ESB substation

• Registered Users Posts: 25 JackyJoe

Even if on the footpath, would they not stop anyone trying to drive from the road in through the gate? Mind you if that was the intent then they would probably have been nearer the gate. But then wouldn't that be the right thing to do. Odd they would be plonked on a busy pedestrian path

JackyJoe wrote: »
    Even if on the footpath, would they not stop anyone trying to drive from the road in through the gate? Mind you if that was the intent then they would probably have been nearer the gate. But then wouldn't that be the right thing to do. Odd they would be plonked on a busy pedestrian path
    No. I don't get the logic either.

• Advertisement

No. I don't get the logic either.

I think what happens in these situations is that someone in the Departments of Finance or Transport notices that Galway has not spent their <footpath bollard> ** budget for this year.

So an instruction gets issued along the lines of

SPEND THE <FOOTPATH BOLLARD> ** MONEY NOW OR WE WILL TAKE IT BACK.***

** Insert <item> as appropriate

*** probably you will also find that certain city officials have their yearly bonuses constructed around "deliverables" such as "spend <footpath bollard> ** allocation within budgetary cycle for 2015 - 2016". So no spend = no bonus.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement