Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things will come to those who wait...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Sunday: Nothing/hungover

Monday: 10.5 miles

Horrible run, very windy morning and chose a very bad route which meant I ran the last 5.5 miles uphill into a strong headwind. Was absolutely knackered when I made it home, soleus was sore for all of this so plenty of ice when I got home.

Tuesday: 54 mins easy/steady

Nice run this morning, much nicer route down along the beach and felt good on this. Calf felt much better but later in the day I was wiped, full of aches and pains and ended up in bed at 7.30pm.

Wednesday: 41 mins

Long drive back home from the wilds of Monaghan and by the evening I felt a little better so tottered out for a few easy miles.

Thursday: 8 miles w/goal mile

Ran into the track for the goal mile, which was about 4 miles or so. Did a mile warm up and tipped around the mile with a few of the young lads in the club, finished in about 5.40 or so. Another few miles cooldown to make me feel less guilty about gorging for the rest of the day.

Friday: 7 miles w/5k time trial

Headed down with a few lads from the club for the now traditional 5k handicap run hosted by one of our neighbour clubs. Wasn't too keen on running in the rain but it's good to meet up with a few of thee lads who are on scholarships in the US. The course is three laps, mostly flat with a small climb on each lap. You have to guess your time and then the slowest people start first and everyone roughly finishes at the same time. I put myself down for 17.30 or so. Just about made it to the start on time and there was only me starting at 17.30, feck! Thankfully two more guys jumped in just as we started. After 400m the guys behind weren't pushing on so I pushed out on my own. Was quite windy in some places but just kept the effort steady, ran mostly on my own and lost a bit of time on the 4th k but when we started catching people in the last k I picked it up a bit and finished in 17.42 ish. Happy with the effort giving the conditions, a good hard run if nothing else and good craic with the lads, my friend broke the course record in a sprightly 15.21.

Getting some good training in at the minute, the advantages of being off work. Will do an hour tomorrow and try and meet up with a few lads on Sunday for a long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭NiallG4

pconn062 wrote: »
    Sunday: Nothing/hungover

Monday: 10.5 miles

Horrible run, very windy morning and chose a very bad route which meant I ran the last 5.5 miles uphill into a strong headwind. Was absolutely knackered when I made it home, soleus was sore for all of this so plenty of ice when I got home.

Tuesday: 54 mins easy/steady

Nice run this morning, much nicer route down along the beach and felt good on this. Calf felt much better but later in the day I was wiped, full of aches and pains and ended up in bed at 7.30pm.

Wednesday: 41 mins

Long drive back home from the wilds of Monaghan and by the evening I felt a little better so tottered out for a few easy miles.

Thursday: 8 miles w/goal mile

Ran into the track for the goal mile, which was about 4 miles or so. Did a mile warm up and tipped around the mile with a few of the young lads in the club, finished in about 5.40 or so. Another few miles cooldown to make me feel less guilty about gorging for the rest of the day.

Friday: 7 miles w/5k time trial

Headed down with a few lads from the club for the now traditional 5k handicap run hosted by one of our neighbour clubs. Wasn't too keen on running in the rain but it's good to meet up with a few of thee lads who are on scholarships in the US. The course is three laps, mostly flat with a small climb on each lap. You have to guess your time and then the slowest people start first and everyone roughly finishes at the same time. I put myself down for 17.30 or so. Just about made it to the start on time and there was only me starting at 17.30, feck! Thankfully two more guys jumped in just as we started. After 400m the guys behind weren't pushing on so I pushed out on my own. Was quite windy in some places but just kept the effort steady, ran mostly on my own and lost a bit of time on the 4th k but when we started catching people in the last k I picked it up a bit and finished in 17.42 ish. Happy with the effort giving the conditions, a good hard run if nothing else and good craic with the lads, my friend broke the course record in a sprightly 15.21.

Getting some good training in at the minute, the advantages of being off work. Will do an hour tomorrow and try and meet up with a few lads on Sunday for a long run.

Good running. I was walking up the hill for the start when I seen you and the boys taking off. I sprinted to the start was told next group going in 5 4 3..... I had no time to even take off top. Ran an even paced 17.40. Happy enough. No speed in legs, Just been doing 6/7 mile runs and steady fartleks since marathon so I am a bit of a slogger at the minute. I think I could run 10k at same pace as this morning. Planning to start doing speed sessions now for next month and giving the vets cc a go in Feb. Training in our group usually starts with this 5k blast on St Stephens Day so plan a good solid 10 days now to kick start new year

NiallG4 wrote: »
    Good running. I was walking up the hill for the start when I seen you and the boys taking off. I sprinted to the start was told next group going in 5 4 3..... I had no time to even take off top. Ran an even paced 17.40. Happy enough. No speed in legs, Just been doing 6/7 mile runs and steady fartleks since marathon so I am a bit of a slogger at the minute. I think I could run 10k at same pace as this morning. Planning to start doing speed sessions now for next month and giving the vets cc a go in Feb. Training in our group usually starts with this 5k blast on St Stephens Day so plan a good solid 10 days now to kick start new year

Less of your nonsense, you seen I was lined up in the same race as you and you were afraid of been put out the back door! :) Good run, well done to the NERD's, enjoyed it. Get some good training in now and we'll have a proper race at the Patsy Kelly.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭NiallG4

Less of your nonsense, you seen I was lined up in the same race as you and you were afraid of been put out the back door! :) Good run, well done to the NERD's, enjoyed it. Get some good training in now and we'll have a proper race at the Patsy Kelly.

Eh did we not have them proper races in November in CC where they actually were races?? I accept your challenge. PK5K 22nd April. I had better start training so.

Saturday: 50 mins recovery

Jogged over to my parents house, took it very easy to give the legs a break after the 5k the day before. Felt good but the legs were a little tired and tender.

Sunday: 11 miles in 78 minutes

Headed out with my brother and friend for a long run, the roads were too icy to run on so changed plan at the last minute and headed out to the grass in Oldbridge. The ground out there was frozen solid which was a relief as it could have been pretty muddy otherwise. Absolutely gorgeous, crisp morning for running and the miles flew by for this, really enjoyed it. Kept the pace easy for the first two laps before picking it up for the last two.

A good week overall, with 55 miles in total with no doubles. Off work this week too so will try and get something similar in again, maybe pushing towards 60. Am planning on running my now traditional 10k race on New Years Day up in the wilds of Monaghan, it's a dog of a course but a good way to start the year. Went for the 6k option last year but might attempt the 10k this year, will probably be the only 10k I run all year (apart from the senior cross country) so will be a chance to get a number on the new 10 round numbers table if nothing else!

• Advertisement

Monday: 4 miles easy

Hadn't intended on running today but got a chance and got 4 easy miles in.

Tuesday: AM 8 miles, PM 3 miles

Double day, glorious run in the morning on grass which was still frozen from the night before. Was feeling good and kept the pace around the 7 minute mile mark I think. 3 more very easy miles in the evening.

Wednesday: 46 mins easy

Jogged over to my parents house, kept this one a little shorter due to race.

Today: Emyvale 10k

Position: 7th
    Time: 36:57

Up in Monaghan for the New Year and the plan was to hit the now traditional 10k race in Emyvale. Was not encouraged when I was woken by the howling wind and rain battering the window and considered staying in bed but the brother was driving up to meet me so dragged myself out. The trees were bending sideways with the wind on the drive over and I briefly considered the 6k but this might be the only 10k I run all year so stuck with the original plan. Got signed up and did a warm up out on the first mile of the course, realised we would have the wind directly in our faces for the first 3k but maybe some shelter then after that.
    After a long wait on the startline in the freezing wind and rain we were off. The race starts with a downhill and people flew off, I held back but must have been in 50th place at this stage. Gradually picked people off and hit the 1st k in 3.38 which was about right. My plan was to run nice and easily for the first 3k and not flog myself, which I did but this meant a lot of the faster groups got away from me and I ran the whole race on my own. Was under a little pressure at 3k but as soon as we turned off I felt much better. Chased down a few lads who I thought I could tuck in with but they were suffering and I had to push on again on my own. Got the 5k in 18.30 exactly and was feeling pretty good, apart from a minor stitch.
    The course up to this point is best described as "rolling". Lots of sharp climbs followed by steep downhills. Started to work a bit harder from 7k onwards and at 7.5k the real fun began, two long steep uphills, each about 200m each to really sap the legs. The first one wasn't too bad and I managed to pass a guy here, passed 8k in 29:42 Recovered a bit on the downhill but the next one killed me and I was really labouring as we came off the top of it. Wind was back in our faces now and when we passed the 9k mark I thought I was in trouble. Then we started passing people from the 6k race and I could hear the announcer at the finish so kept digging. This kilometer felt soooo long as I was really hurting, glanced at the watch with about 200m to see 36:16 so sprinted and just got under the 37 mark (36:57 officially).
    Delighted with that, especially given the bad conditions and tough course. Think I could get under 36:30 on a better day but not too bothered and not sure if I'll do another 10k this year. Felt very strong the whole way through and nice to start the year with a PB.

Overall it's been a good year, after a slightly disappointing summer which kind of fizzled out I got a really good winter in and I'm feeling fitter and stronger now than ever. Hopefully it means good things for this years outdoor track season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Netwerk Errer

Well done lad. PB's over 5 and 10k over the last few weeks, The strength is definitely there for the season to come.

Well done lad. PB's over 5 and 10k over the last few weeks, The strength is definitely there for the season to come.

Thanks NE, here's hoping it pays off this summer! :)

Friday: 50 mins recovery

Meant to get two run in on this day but the body was tired after the race and decided to play it safe and cut it down to one. Felt pretty good apart from a slightly sore hip.

Saturday: 1 hour easy

Easy run, not much to remark on. Still a little tired and hip still complaining a little.

Sunday: A shade over 12 miles on grass/road

Long run today, headed for Oldbridge which was in pretty bad condition, very mucky. After twenty minutes we headed out on the road to break up the run a little before finishing with a final lap in Oldbridge. Felt OK on this, a little tired at the end but that was more to do with the muddy conditions underfoot, took 90 minutes in total.

55 miles for the week, was hoping for 60 but had to drop a run to give the body a chance to recover after the race, no real harm done. Will keep the miles high (well high for me) next week before cutting down a little the week after that. Rest day tomorrow which will hopefully help the hip a little, will get a massage in this week too with the voucher I got for Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Hey PConn, regarding mileage, I've been hovering around the 40 mark for a while now and with me not doing a marathon this year, it would be easy to get into the mindset of doing low'ish mileage for the coming months - I've been thinking lately of increasing the mileage to 50-60 per week - and in the absence of a good plan, I'm unsure of how I'd do it i.e. a couple of long runs or many 7-8m (@ different pace) runs.
    What way do you break up your weeks mileage and what race are you targeting (1500m/5k/10k)

thanks

• Advertisement

Hey PConn, regarding mileage, I've been hovering around the 40 mark for a while now and with me not doing a marathon this year, it would be easy to get into the mindset of doing low'ish mileage for the coming months - I've been thinking lately of increasing the mileage to 50-60 per week - and in the absence of a good plan, I'm unsure of how I'd do it i.e. a couple of long runs or many 7-8m (@ different pace) runs.
    What way do you break up your weeks mileage and what race are you targeting (1500m/5k/10k)

thanks

Hi AMK, I am currently in base phase so the plan is to get the mileage up to about 60 a week and hold it there before introducing quality work. I generally only do one "long run" a week and make up the rest with doubles and 7-9 mile runs. A typical week at the moment and over the next few weeks will look something like this:

Monday: Rest/4 mile very easy
    Tuesday: 7-9 miles
    Wednesday: AM: 30 mins easy/PM session (usually 8ish miles)
    Thursday: 6/7 mile recovery run
    Friday: 7-9 miles/maybe with a 30 minute double run
    Saturday: Session/maybe a double if no second run on Friday
    Sunday: Long run (12 miles which will build up to 15 max)

The plan race wise is to focus on track for the summer, so 800m/1500m. Before that it will be a case of getting into decent 5k shape while touching on all paces from 400m-10k in training, before starting specific training in April/May.

Monday: Rest

Tuesday: 62 mins easy

Up to the grass for this one, which wasn't in the best condition and nearly had a couple of slips. Felt good though and was tipping long nicely by the end.

Wednesday

AM: 4 miles easy
    PM: Session 3x(4x400m) in a 2 min cycle, 3 mins between sets

Splits: (79, 81, 78, 80), (76, 75, 76, 76), (76, 75, 75, 76)

Headed into the track tonight with no real idea what we were doing and the coach wasn't there, so made this one up on the spot. The plan was to do three sets of 4x400m @ 5k, 3k and finally mile pace (80's, 75s and 72s). Conditions are the track were not particularly pleasant with the wind proving to be the biggest nuisance. First set went fine and the pace felt nice and steady. Second set was a lot tougher, dropping from 5.20 a mile to 5 minutes flat and I was glad to have the four done. Decided here to just try and hit the same pace again rather than speed up as it was just too windy and I don't think I could have finished the session. Last set was tough but knowing we only had four to do made it easier and we managed to keep the pace the same as the second set. Tough session and looking back now, maybe a bit too intense for someone who is supposed to be in base phase. Still, nice get some running in @ close to mile pace, I think with the wind these were worth 73-74 on a calm day.

Had a massage today and between that and the session, the legs are a little tender. Couple of very easy days are now in order.

Thursday: 55 mins recovery

Friday

AM: 6 miles on road
    PM: 4 miles on treadmill

Four miles on the road in wild conditions before heading up to Dublin for a few hours. Went into circuit training later that evening when I got back and did half an hour on the treadmill as it was too wild to run outside on quiet country roads. Jumped into the last set of circuits as well an finished with lots of stretching.

Saturday: 7 miles easy

Had intended on doing a short hill session today but got called into work at the last minute and it was too dark by the time I got out so just tipped around the roads instead. Have a few niggles which I'm minding as well so no harm in missing the session.

Sunday: 13 miles in 97 mins

Bit of a longer run this morning, started in the grass in Oldbridge which was in pretty bad condition so headed out on the road for a bit to break up the run. Did about 40 mins on the road before finishing the run back on the grass. Tough run, a combination of tired legs, hilly mucky terrain and strong wind. Still, a nice run to have in the bag.

So, 57 miles for the week which I'm happy enough with. Have a few small niggles I need to watch including a bit pain behind my ankle which seems like a touch of peroneal tendonitis so will have to watch that. This week will be a planned step back week so hope that will give the legs a chance to recover, will still aim to get about 45 miles in. Will then do two more big weeks to bring me up to the end of January (and an indoor 1500m race which will be a shock to the system!).

Monday: Off

Tuesday: 7 miles easy

Step-back week so cut my usual 8-9 mile run to 7 miles. Ran on road and felt a bit rough at the start, but picked up by the end. Very windy.

Wednesday

AM: 5.2 miles easy
    PM: 6 miles w/session

10x200m off 200m jog, 4x400m off 45 secs rest

Wasn't sure that I was going to be able to get out to the track tonight, so headed out this afternoon for a short run before the weather got bad. Turns out I could go to the track then, which maybe wasn't that ideal as I only finished my first run at 3pm so maybe a little close. Conditions were horrendous, extremely windy with severe gusts. I wanted to keep the volume fairly low and do a slightly faster workout to get some speed back into the legs. Decided on 10x200m keeping to the side of the track that was a little more sheltered.
    The plan was to run these at 1500m pace and apart from feeling a bit rusty on the first one or two it went pretty well. I hot mostly 35/36 seconds for each one finishing with a 33 and a 32. I definitely was holding back a little in this so hopefully that can be improved on. Took 200m jog recovery between these so not a lactic building session but a nice way to introduce a little speed back into the legs. The coach then called us over to jump in with him for a few 400's, the lads weren't too keen as we would have the full brunt of the wind but I jumped in for a few. These were very tough and I was done after three, but was convinced to do one more. Hit 74, 74, 76, 72 which was pretty good given the wind, Short recoveries with these reps (45 seconds) so a good workout.

So, 11 miles for the day (so much for a step back!) but the rest of the week will be handy. Will do a session of some sort on Saturday. A new plan is been put in place so looking forward to that. Turns out I might be able to run the Leinsters after all and I'm actually considering the 3,000m. I could run a 1500 at the National League and a 3k at Leinsters and see how they compare and then work on the weaknesses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭ECOLII

Monday: Off

Tuesday: 7 miles easy

Step-back week so cut my usual 8-9 mile run to 7 miles. Ran on road and felt a bit rough at the start, but picked up by the end. Very windy.

Wednesday

AM: 5.2 miles easy
    PM: 6 miles w/session

10x200m off 200m jog, 4x400m off 45 secs rest

Wasn't sure that I was going to be able to get out to the track tonight, so headed out this afternoon for a short run before the weather got bad. Turns out I could go to the track then, which maybe wasn't that ideal as I only finished my first run at 3pm so maybe a little close. Conditions were horrendous, extremely windy with severe gusts. I wanted to keep the volume fairly low and do a slightly faster workout to get some speed back into the legs. Decided on 10x200m keeping to the side of the track that was a little more sheltered.
    The plan was to run these at 1500m pace and apart from feeling a bit rusty on the first one or two it went pretty well. I hot mostly 35/36 seconds for each one finishing with a 33 and a 32. I definitely was holding back a little in this so hopefully that can be improved on. Took 200m jog recovery between these so not a lactic building session but a nice way to introduce a little speed back into the legs. The coach then called us over to jump in with him for a few 400's, the lads weren't too keen as we would have the full brunt of the wind but I jumped in for a few. These were very tough and I was done after three, but was convinced to do one more. Hit 74, 74, 76, 72 which was pretty good given the wind, Short recoveries with these reps (45 seconds) so a good workout.

So, 11 miles for the day (so much for a step back!) but the rest of the week will be handy. Will do a session of some sort on Saturday. A new plan is been put in place so looking forward to that. Turns out I might be able to run the Leinsters after all and I'm actually considering the 3,000m. I could run a 1500 at the National League and a 3k at Leinsters and see how they compare and then work on the weaknesses.

Nice of you to pace coach through 1st session back :D

Solid work, looks like your indoor season similar enough to mine (although will be dropping down for Leinsters to 800)

ECOLII wrote: »
    Nice of you to pace coach through 1st session back :D

Solid work, looks like your indoor season similar enough to mine (although will be dropping down for Leinsters to 800)

Ha I wish man, he was cruising along and I was sucking air through a straw and fighting the urge to vomit!!

Yeah, hope I can make the Leinsters now, might be able to put together a relatively decent indoor season.

Thursday: 45 mins recovery

Friday: 10k easy + circuits

Met a friend for a 45 min run, squeezed in 10k on what was a lovely night. Then headed straight to circuits, tough workout and legs tired after the run.

Saturday: 6 miles w/session

3x1 min uphill, 10 min tempo, 3x1 min uphill

Headed out to the grass at Oldbridge on my tod to do this as the roads were too bad. The hill reps were done on a steeper hill that I was used to, and I could feel the circuits from the previous night in my legs. No idea what pace I was running the tempo at but the effort felt right, although tough going to the slippy grass, even with spikes on. Last three uphills were fine, although I was a little jelly-legged at the end.

Sunday: 10 miles in 74 minutes

Out to Oldbridge again with a gang from the club, they were aiming for 13 mile but I was happy with ten on my down week. Legs still feeling a bit tired and the slippy, hilly terrain didn't help. Glad I could stop at ten and enjoyed a nice coffee as the lads slogged out 3 more miles.

So 45 miles for the week, which is exactly what I wanted. Managed to keep the quality in even with the reduced volume. Legs are feeling tired now after a tough weekend, but hopefully will be OK. Will bring the miles back up this week to the 60ish mark again with two sessions. Few niggles that will need a bit of TLC tonight but nothing too serious I don't think.

Monday: 4 miles v. easy

Knew I wouldn't get out for my double run on Wednesday so got a few extra miles in here instead, unfortunately a last minute call from work meant I had to cut it short.

Tuesday: 7.5 miles easy

Headed up to the grass for this, wore my Inov-8's which are great on the muck with lots of grip. Didn't feel great at the start but after about 3 miles things picked up and I was feeling great by the end. Really picked the pace up for the last 2 mile.

Wednesday: Session

3x(400m, 600m, 400m, 200m) @ 1500m pace

Recovery: 60 seconds between reps in first set, 80 in 2nd, 2 minutes in 3rd with 6 minutes between sets

Splits: (74, 1.53, 73, 36), (72, 1.51, 72, 35), (71, 1.50, 70, 32)

Very long stressful day in work, leaving me very tired heading out for this. Another problem was the smog around the track, it is stuck in the middle of a housing estate and can be a real problem when the weather is calm. The idea with this session was to touch on 1500m pace, but with the recovery increasing with each set it meant there was no big build of lactic, but it still left the legs nicely fatigued. First set was the toughest, took a while to get into it and was struggling to get up to target pace (72 seconds per 400m). Second one was better and the 6 minutes recovery was enough to give it a good lash. Got into it a bit more here and pulled away from my brother on a few of the reps. Third set the fatigue was kicking in but once you got the 600m over you, you could relax slightly. Finished with my fastest reps of the night. There was some lactic build up on the last 100m of the final 400m, but nothing too serious.

Nice to get a bit of pace into the legs and this felt pretty good and makes me feel a bit better about attempting a 1500m in ten days or so. Will talk to the coach to see what he says. Mileage is a bit low so far this week but hope to make it up by the end.

Hell of a session there, 1st set along would have been a great session in itself but to do three definitely a baptism of fire with 1500 specific work, gonna have to watch my back next week :eek:

Hell of a session there, 1st set along would have been a great session in itself but to do three definitely a baptism of fire with 1500 specific work, gonna have to watch my back next week :eek:

Ha tell me about it man, I thought it was a mis-type when I seen 3 sets! :eek: The recovery was generous though so it didn't seem like a real lactic curdling session but tiring all the same. Hopefully we can have a bit of a battle anyway (for the first 400m anyway!) :)

• Advertisement

Ha tell me about it man, I thought it was a mis-type when I seen 3 sets! :eek: The recovery was generous though so it didn't seem like a real lactic curdling session but tiring all the same. Hopefully we can have a bit of a battle anyway (for the first 400m anyway!) :)

Looks like there is one or two more boardsies who could be on the startline also, mind you I am on standby so there is a very small chance I won't be in the guest race if we are short (which shouldn't happen as there are probably about 4 lads who can run between 3.48-4.15 ahead of me that are should be available for call up

Looks like there is one or two more boardsies who could be on the startline also, mind you I am on standby so there is a very small chance I won't be in the guest race if we are short (which shouldn't happen as there are probably about 4 lads who can run between 3.48-4.15 ahead of me that are should be available for call up

Ah cool, hope you don't get called up (no offence!), would be nice to have some company in the guest race. Worried about getting blown out of it completely.

Ah cool, hope you don't get called up (no offence!), would be nice to have some company in the guest race. Worried about getting blown out of it completely.

Me to as I just want a good hard effort and not be afraid to blow up if push too hard rather than being relied on for points.Shouldn't have any problem with that to be honest I would expect 4.25 would have you quite competitive given AAI games are the next day

Thursday: 55 mins recovery

Big standard recovery run on a very cold evening. Very slow as the legs were tired after the session

Friday: 9 miles total + circuits

Out for an easy run in the early afternoon, conditions were pretty rough, wet and windy. Did an hour in total. Headed into circuits then in the evening and did another 10 mins running to warm up. Had a bit of a sore knee so left out ant of the circuits that required a lot of bending/jumping.

Saturday: How not to run a session

Headed into the track again for another session today. Was slightly nervous as the coach hadn't told me what I was doing until I got out and I was expecting something rough. The plan was for the first real lactic building session: 600m timetrial, 10 mins rest, 400m as fast as possible. I was doing this on my own and the conditions weren't great. I found it really cold and the wind was strong on one side of the track. Did a long warm up, drills and strides and put the spikes on for the first time since July!! I had no idea what pace to run and at and boy, did I get it wrong. I was thinking somewhere around 1.35 would be OK?
    Went off and started waaaaaay too hard, checked the watch after 200m and I hit 29, shit. A guy from the club jumped in here with me and I kept going, hit 400m in 60 flat. However the game was up here, the legs immediately tied up and no matter how hard I tried the legs would not respond and I started to feel like Bambi! I actually started laughing with about 100m to go as I'm sure I looked ridiculous flailing my way slowly down the home straight. Finished in 1.36, which was not a disaster but talk about a bad way to run it.

Stood around for 10 mins trying to recover before trying to go again, had a pacemaker this time. Overestimated how fast I thought I could do this rep, maybe 62? Asked for 31 at 200m which we hit but again the legs went heavy and the last 100m was a real struggle. It really is amazing how long 100m can feel when the lactic is flooding into your legs, finished in 64. The next 15 mins were not pretty as the lactic really started to build and I had to lie on the track to recover. Eventually got up and walked a lap to help flush it out, then jogged 10 mins. Extremely tough session and disappointed with my pacing, rookie mistake. Anyway coach said it wasn't a disaster and the fact that I hit 60 for the 400m is encouraging. I just could have done it in a less painful way. Will get out for a few miles later to flush the legs out, and then try to do a long run tomorrow.

Whats your PB for 800 again?

Either way it would be indicative of 2.06 shape, not bad coming off base phase, keep it sensible this year and you will go even further

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

The pacing you can sort out but you have to be happy with a 60s 400m in training at this time of the year. Bodes well for next weekend.

Whats your PB for 800 again?

Either way it would be indicative of 2.06 shape, not bad coming off base phase, keep it sensible this year and you will go even further

2.12 is PB, but only ran 2 800's last year, one in very bad weather. Would have been happy with the times today, there are just easier ways to do it! :)
    The pacing you can sort out but you have to be happy with a 60s 400m in training at this time of the year. Bodes well for next weekend.

Happy with that aspect of it alright KU, could have dipped under 60 today too if I wanted I think, eased back slightly when I seen 29 at halfway! The real trouble started after that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Good session.
    It will stand to you later.
    Pacing will come.

Sunday: 14 miles @ 7.29 pace

Long run this morning on tired legs. Definitely feeling a bit battered after yesterday. Did this half on grass, half on road. The grass was energy sapping as it was quite mucky and hilly and was glad to break it up with the road. Felt pretty good but was working a bit towards the end, longest run in a while!

So, a decent week. Just shy of 60 miles with two sessions. Will aim for similar mileage next week and get a session in on Wednesday. Have my first indoor race next Saturday, the 1500m at the National League which I'm running as a guest. Currently watching the live stream from the Junior/U23's and it's getting me excited about getting back on the track. No idea what to expect but hope the field has a few lads around my level so I can get a bit of a race out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Best of luck tomorrow. Pity I'm not racing but reckon we would have had a good old battle. Will have to wait for another day.

Advertisement