Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Ascii

glineli wrote: »
    It was too good to be true.......................

What was too good to be true???? Did you hear something I didn't

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

Based on post 1885
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=89876640&postcount=1885

it was due to be signed today
    At last, the signing of the contracts for the €550 million Gort to Tuam motorway will take place on Monday – with the creation of a possible 2,000 jobs in the process.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Day's not over yet!

spacetweek wrote: »
    Day's not over yet!

Thats the spirit!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

There's still time, maybe they got stuck behind a tractor on the way up from Gort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭f2

dloob wrote: »
    There's still time, maybe they got stuck behind a tractor on the way up from Gort.

Tractor must have broken down!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭LFC Murphy

Maybe we should ask Declan Tierney in the tribune

His answer would be interesting, some of his sources must have got their information on this thread or the pub!

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭annfield1978

It'll be next week

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭LFC Murphy

It'll be next week

Sure it will :rolleyes:

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

It'll be next week

It'll always be next week.

C Cannon on GBFM this morning expects contracts in next 10 days, project is still on track

Leo V tweeted me an answer the other day to say he doesnt know for sure, soon he hopes, a lot of parties involved and all must agree on everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭RichardoKhan

This is getting as long in the tooth as Elton John 'Farewell' concerts...........

f2 wrote: »
    C Cannon on GBFM this morning expects contracts in next 10 days, project is still on track

Sounds like the best information we have had so far and seeing as its a gov minister hopefully its on the money

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭ratracer

Next week so...... For a change!

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭VR6

You guys really are eternal optimists !

Contracts will be signed some time in the next few months for sure, but as for the next 10 days I would lay any money that will not happen.....

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭jenningso

http://galwaybayfm.ie/signing-contracts-gort-tuam-motorway-month/

I'm sure there are complexities alright, but I bet there's pressure on to sign and turn the sod in the lead up to the local elections, the nearer the better for the government parties. I'd put my money on THAT!

jenningso wrote: »
    I bet there's pressure on to sign and turn the sod in the lead up to the local elections, the nearer the better for the government parties.

If I was one of the businesses involved, I would not be railroaded into signing to suit the politicians timetable.

There is 500 million euros involved - screw the politicians and their photo ops.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭jj72

If I was one of the businesses involved, I would not be railroaded into signing to suit the politicians timetable.

There is 500 million euros involved - screw the politicians and their photo ops.

Surely that is exactly why they will be railroaded into suiting the politicians timetable.

• Advertisement

jj72 wrote: »
    Surely that is exactly why they will be railroaded into suiting the politicians timetable.

What are the politicians going to do if they refuse to sign until after the locals?

Cancel the project? I don't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

What are the politicians going to do if they refuse to sign until after the locals?

Cancel the project? I don't think so.

Besides, Leo wants this one on the books before he leaves for health.

Leo heading for the poison chalice mmmmmmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭RichardoKhan

antoobrien wrote: »
    Besides, Leo wants this one on the books before he leaves for health.

Ah Leo "the chosen one" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Leo heading for the poison chalice mmmmmmmmm

Let's hope he has a drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

Taxpayer to pay truck tolls? (Limerick Post)

The Limerick Post has learned that the Transport Minister is trying to negotiate a new deal with Direct Route, the company that already has an agreement from the Government to pay any shortfall in their projected income.
    I wonder if the tolling issues at the Limerick Tunnel operated by Direct Route, is holding up the signing of the contract to complete the Gort-Tuam motorway with the very same company?

Leo Varadkar has recently conceded that the €5.2m (traffic guarantee clauses) paid to the operators of the Limerick Tunnel (M18) was a bad deal.

So would I be jumping to conclusions if I thought that the Minister could be using the un-signed Gort-Tuam contract as a bargaining chip with Direct Route?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

So this week again, maybe.

http://galwaybayfm.ie/contract-new-date-signing-gort-tuam-motorway/

Galway Bay fm newsroom – Contracts for the long-awaited Gort to Tuam motorway may finally be signed this week.

Discussions have been held with over 20 stakeholders prior to the progression of the project, which will cost in the region of over 500 million euro.

Direct Route, the contracting consortium for the new motorway, includes three Irish firms- Roadbridge, John Sisk and Lagan Construction.

Transport Minister Leo Varadkar has confirmed that there will be no tolls on the route which is expected to open to traffic in 2017.

There have been many false dawns regarding the signing, but a spokesperson for the NRA says it’s likely that the contracts will be signed on Wednesday.

I wonder if the tolling issues at the Limerick Tunnel operated by Direct Route, is holding up the signing of the contract to complete the Gort-Tuam motorway with the very same company?

Leo Varadkar has recently conceded that the €5.2m (traffic guarantee clauses) paid to the operators of the Limerick Tunnel (M18) was a bad deal.

So would I be jumping to conclusions if I thought that the Minister could be using the un-signed Gort-Tuam contract as a bargaining chip with Direct Route?

Does it make sense for Direct Route to hold up a project over the willingness of the government to subsidize a different project they have on the books? Not really, they'll get paid either way.

It makes no sense for the government as it would have effectively bought control of Galway Co Co had it gone through last year (now it just looks like an election stunt).

dloob wrote: »
    So this week again, maybe.

Anyone wanna bet that it will be signed on Wednesday, the same date as NX/N11 was signed last year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

antoobrien wrote: »
    Does it make sense for Direct Route to hold up a project over the willingness of the government to subsidize a different project they have on the books? Not really, they'll get paid either way.

It makes no sense for the government as it would have effectively bought control of Galway Co Co had it gone through last year (now it just looks like an election stunt).
    Sorry, I did not mean it like that.

Direct Route has no obligation what so ever to change the conditions associated with the Limerick Tunnel (M18) contract.

That said, Direct Route is probably very anxious to get the contract for the Gort-Tuam motorway signed too.

All that I’m saying, is that it gives Leo Varadkar an opportunity to persuade Direct Route to negotiate a new deal on those traffic guarantee clauses before he signs off the Gort-Tuam contract with them.

Advertisement