Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Punching a woman - Justified or not? - MOD WARNING FIRST POST

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 13505

Hitting people is bad. Don't hit people. Has anyone posted this video yet? Rather interesting perspective.

Why no linkinserterrthing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f20Oz9Yr_So

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭R.F.

Id never punch a pretty girl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭GenieOz

13505 wrote: »
    Hitting people is bad. Don't hit people. Has anyone posted this video yet? Rather interesting perspective.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f20Oz9Yr_So

What in the name of god has enjoying domestic abuse got to do with this thread?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

IMO there's never any reason to punch anyone unless they are trying to or extremely likely to do you physical harm.
    Otherwise we're into the realm of "drove me to it". i.e. any old excuse at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 13505

GenieOz wrote: »
    What in the name of god has enjoying domestic abuse got to do with this thread?

Knock knock!

Who's there?

Hey don't get.

Hey don't get who?

Hey don't get so deep with me. I'm not looking too much into it. Jeez.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

Spunge wrote: »
    If one gives a sucker punch i believe one waives all rights to the next punch one receives being labeled a sucker punch.

Alcohol really is a disaster of a drug, turns normal people into violent nut cases.

When you say "normal" are you talking about the 999.9% that have a good time or the 0.0001% that are dysfunctional in booze/chip on the shoulder/just pure nutter type?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

13505 wrote: »

I think you have too few posts to have access to all the posting tools. Fixed it for ya anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

sopretty wrote: »
    Would they get a punch on the face to knock them to the ground in the middle of a nightclub?

No

• Registered Users Posts: 5,315 ✭✭✭Reventon93

I think that OP was right to defend his friend. However, because he wasnt directly involved, by being puched, I think it was an over reaction.

If he was puched, by all means hit them back. The fact that it was a women makes absolutely no difference to me in the scale of things.

Women can be worse then men, as some have shown earlier In this thread, and of course you should defend yourself by any means if youre in danger. I dont get why theres such a doubble standard!

And I know what the op means when he said that he was at a disadvantaged because of his size. Im 5'9 and if someone bigger than me had a go, male or female, theyd be getting back what they served.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Reventon93 wrote: »
    I think that OP was right to defend his friend. However, because he wasnt directly involved, by being puched, I think it was an over reaction.

If he was puched, by all means hit them back. The fact that it was a women makes absolutely no difference to me in the scale of things.

Women can be worse then men, as some have shown earlier In this thread, and of course you should defend yourself by any means if youre in danger. I dont get why theres such a doubble standard!

And I know what the op means when he said that he was at a disadvantaged because of his size. Im 5'9 and if someone bigger than me had a go, male or female, theyd be getting back what they served.

Would it be an overreaction if the word friend was replaced with Mother, Sister, Wife, or daughter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭chinacup

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    sopretty, this was my first time I hit a girl and to be honest, if another girl decided to punch any of my female friends, I'd probably slap them in the face to cop the fúck on too.

Just curious. Would you punch another male if one of your male friends was punched or is it just females you'd slap/protect?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

Indeed, what would you do OP, if a 6 foot tall man had hit your friend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭GenieOz

Do ye really think he only hit cause it was a woman?
    Whole new territory of accusation there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

arf91 wrote: »
    Just curious. Would you punch another male if one of your male friends was punched or is it just females you'd slap/protect?

I'd still hit him. If you think it's women that I only hit, then you best leave. I'm not a woman beater and I don't beat people whenever I feel like it. I'd only hit people if they are hitting my friends or family.

GenieOz wrote: »
    Do ye really think he only hit cause it was a woman?
    Whole new territory of accusation there.

Excuse me theres no "accusation" its a question!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

bumper234 wrote: »
    Would it be an overreaction if the word friend was replaced with Mother, Sister, Wife, or daughter?

Why not rewrite the whole OP to suit the argument you're trying to make? The "if this, if that, if the other" works both ways to bolster a fallacious argument either way - if the person who attacked the OP's friend was a child who knocked his friend over, would the OP be justified in lifting the child off the floor with a kick under the chin?
    Why stop there, because you know just as well as I do that there will always be someone looking to justify their behaviour, and should people on the Internet be the moral judge and jury on just how far a person would be entitled to commit violent acts?

The right thing to do there would've been to get his mate to a hospital and report the assault to Gardai, not take the law into his own hands when he had no authority to do so.

Truth be told, I don't believe a word of the OP anyway, not because I don't believe it doesn't happen, but because the special sort of cnut capable of such an act wouldn't care what other people thought of their actions, certainly not enough to start a thread about it, but as fantasy stories go anyway it's a piss poor attempt at painting oneself out to be a hero.

I'd still hit him. If you think it's women that I only hit, then you best leave. I'm not a woman beater and I don't beat people whenever I feel like it. I'd only hit people if they are hitting my friends or family.

Its the fact that you said "I'd slap another girl if they hit one of my girl friends" that made me ask. It made me wonder if you would be so protective of all your guy friends too.

Czarcasm wrote: »
    Why not rewrite the whole OP to suit the argument you're trying to make? The "if this, if that, if the other" works both ways to bolster a fallacious argument either way - if the person who attacked the OP's friend was a child who knocked his friend over, would the OP be justified in lifting the child off the floor with a kick under the chin?
    Why stop there, because you know just as well as I do that there will always be someone looking to justify their behaviour, and should people on the Internet be the moral judge and jury on just how far a person would be entitled to commit violent acts?

The right thing to do there would've been to get his mate to a hospital and report the assault to Gardai, not take the law into his own hands when he had no authority to do so.

Truth be told, I don't believe a word of the OP anyway, not because I don't believe it doesn't happen, but because the special sort of cnut capable of such an act wouldn't care what other people thought of their actions, certainly not enough to start a thread about it, but as fantasy stories go anyway it's a piss poor attempt at painting oneself out to be a hero.

Yeah call the guards:rolleyes:

It's not about having "authority" it's about whether it's right or not to hit a woman in the act of defence. In ops position you say you would have walked away and called the guards, maybe you would maybe you wouldn't. Personally i would have done the same as OP, does that make me one of those "special sort of cnut" you refer to or just someone who lives in the real world?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Lets be honest with each other, men. You are in the exact same situation as me, dancing on the floor with your friend, random lady comes around, punches your friend in the face. Would you honestly stand around and call the guards? No, you'd hit her back unless you are gay then you'd pull her hair or something

Yeah call the guards:rolleyes:

It's not about having "authority" it's about whether it's right or not to hit a woman in the act of defence. In ops position you say you would have walked away and called the guards, maybe you would maybe you wouldn't. Personally i would have done the same as OP, does that make me one of those "special sort of cnut" you refer to or just someone who lives in the real world?

Living in the real world is assaulting people because you felt they were asking for it ?

The OP didnt hit her in self defence he assaulted her after she assaulted his friend. I know I definitely wouldnt have hit her unless it was necessary and at the point the OP hit her it wasnt.

• Advertisement

Lets be honest with each other, men. You are in the exact same situation as me, dancing on the floor with your friend, random lady comes around, punches your friend in the face. Would you honestly stand around and call the guards? No, you'd hit her back unless you are gay then you'd pull her hair or something

You're a real gem of a human being aint ya ? Trying all the girls on the dance floor looking your hole, dancing with the "fat bitch" so you done seem ignorant, needlessly punching a girl in the face and then calling anyone who wouldnt do the same gay.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

jamo2oo9 won't be posting in the thread anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

Oh man this is a whole other offensive territory youre crossing into :rolleyes:

Living in the real world is assaulting people because you felt they were asking for it ?

The OP didnt hit her in self defence he assaulted her after she assaulted his friend. I know I definitely wouldnt have hit her unless it was necessary and at the point the OP hit her it wasnt.

I never said he hit her in self defence, also you were not there so you cannot say if it was necessary or not for him to strike back at the aggressor.

I never said he hit her in self defence, also you were not there so you cannot say if it was necessary or not for him to strike back at the aggressor.

I don't have to be there I just have to read what happened. The same info you use to state you'd have done the exact same thing the OP did.

A girl hits my friend, I protect my friend. I grab the girl, I push her back, I stand between them, I call a bouncer etc. My first instinct wouldn't be to punch someone in the face. Its quite sad that would be the first instinct of so many and that they can so easily justify assault.

I don't have to be there I just have to read what happened. The same info you use to state you'd have done the exact same thing the OP did.

A girl hits my friend, I protect my friend. I grab the girl, I push her back, I stand between them, I call a bouncer etc. My first instinct wouldn't be to punch someone in the face. Its quite sad that would be the first instinct of so many and that they can so easily justify assault.

When acting in defence it's not assault ducy?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Wrong, it is considered self defense. Self defense is not assault.

Wrong, it is considered self defense.

How is it self defence to hit someone who hasnt hit you ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,315 ✭✭✭Reventon93

If they were closer than the friend then no because it wouldn't be an over reaction but reacting to loyalty and there's a difference. Reacting on basic instinct over trying to sort out what just happened is massively different.

Unless you are personally being attacked, there is always that moment when you think whether to react or not, and the reaction should have been to tell her to back off and then leave

• Advertisement

When acting in defence it's not assault ducy?

Sure it is. Just because you want to defend your friend doesn't mean you can dole out punches. Self defence is one thing but "defence" is in this scenario is another and there was no need for the OP to hit the girl so it was plain old assault to lay her out with a punch to the face.

Advertisement