Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Statement from NASRPC

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

Just seen that blay. Can they not leave it alone :rolleyes: ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭yubabill1

Actually, a reasonable article IMHO.

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    By which I mean "Ho hum its that loon again on his single minded one man mission for the last 30 years regurigating the same letters as almost as predictable and intresting as my tax return letter in every local and national paper......Oh here's an article on the sex lives of clothes moths!!"

getting printed one thing and fair dues to his determination,but if it hasnt netted him one solitary recruit to CACS.......
    Look at it another way ICABS will be 50 years in 2016....Despite all their pro media coverage,of which they actually claim WE get the better coverage in the press,the two rain forests that must have been used by them sending letters to all and sundry.The many personalities that have been "presidents" of their organisation including the current dweller in the Park,the justice minister,the former enviroment minister...The grand total of achivements they have got sofar of their list of about 70 different campaigns.

Muzzling greyhounds, banning Stag hunting... Well, maybe in 200 years they might actually ban foxhunting:rolleyes:

Point is ,you can simply over egg the pudding too,by being simply boring to your prospective audience.

Ok so we all wrote,write are writing letters since 2011 when we started this experiment....Reckon my name must be on a black list with the papers in Munster on this topic.As I see damn all of mine being published.Please dont tell me I'm the only one writing??

There is some merit in what you and Sparks both have been saying.

The media love a moderate, considered stance in an interview.
    They also love ridiculing extremists who don't know they are being made a fool of.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,946 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

yubabill1 wrote: »
    Actually, a reasonable article IMHO.

I had to read it twice and pinch myself.:eek:
    Thought it was some after effect of the solpadine I've been on for the last week for the flu. In the Journal.ie?? The first to pull every shooting in the US story onto its front page??
    A reasoned and factual enough story too?With mostly reasoned and pro gun comments being green thumbed too??? Has to be a plant from our side or I woke up in some parallel universe Ireland this morning.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

They've done articles in the past that weren't exactly unfriendly to us y'know Grizz...
    And as I've been saying, you just need to send in the material and most of it gets printed. It's not like ICABS have all the editors on their payroll or something, we just don't send in material and they do and that's basicly all there is to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,651 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Blay wrote: »

You'd think Shatter would be more concerned about cleaning up the mess he has presided over in AGS with regards to whistleblowers etc. The idea that criminals intent on crime care about the prevailing firearm licensing system defies logic. Has the Dept of Justice ever tried to explain what is their thinking (if any!!) behind this latest brain fart directed against lawfull gun/pistol owners??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Birdnuts wrote: »
    You'd think Shatter would be more concerned about cleaning up the mess he has presided over in AGS with regards to whistleblowers etc. The idea that criminals intent on crime care about the prevailing firearm licensing system defies logic. Has the Dept of Justice ever tried to explain what is their thinking (if any!!) behind this latest brain fart directed against lawfull gun/pistol owners??

The drive for reform isn't coming from Alan Shatter. It's coming from the Gardai.

I personally don't understand why the Gardai are taking this approach. We aren't causing them any trouble with our legally held firearms - apart from when they incorrectly refuse firearm licences. And if they applied the law properly, we would be out on the range plinking away, causing no hassle, and nobody would even know we existed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,946 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Too much reading Judge Dredd comics I reckon, mis quoting said chacter.. We ARE THE LAW!![ So now!!]:)

While tounge in cheek ,it seems to be the attitude displayed by many supers and cheif supers that they are unaccountable to anyone but themselves Least of all to the law they swore to uphold.:(

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 9,651 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

BattleCorp wrote: »
    The drive for reform isn't coming from Alan Shatter. It's coming from the Gardai.

I personally don't understand why the Gardai are taking this approach. We aren't causing them any trouble with our legally held firearms - apart from when they incorrectly refuse firearm licences. And if they applied the law properly, we would be out on the range plinking away, causing no hassle, and nobody would even know we existed.

Yes but the minister concerned will ultimatly deceide who will win this arguement and given his record to date I wouldn't be hopefull that people with legally held pistols of a certain type will come out the right side of this fight:(

I'm still waiting to see what the proposals will be when they get written.
    And I'm still not taking the word of the NARGC or NASPRC on this, given that they've just put out press releases and the "other side" have given a signed Ministerial letter saying that the NARGC and NASRPC aren't correct.

So far, it's been panic over nothing, but it's fast transforming into a self-fulfilling prophecy where the response to the panic pisses off the wrong people at the wrong time and causes the very thing that the panic was worrying about in the first place.

The irony of that would be downright funny, if it wasn't so utterly stupid and damaging to us.

• Advertisement

Sparks wrote: »

So far, it's been panic over nothing, but it's fast transforming into a self-fulfilling prophecy where the response to the panic pisses off the wrong people at the wrong time and causes the very thing that the panic was worrying about in the first place.

The irony of that would be downright funny, if it wasn't so utterly stupid and damaging to us.

The way I see it, the judge in the recent case granting the licence for the Scott Medal winner gave AGS a cue in the direction of public safety - which I presume he saw in the EU proposals during background research - to allow them have the Firearms Act amended to fit their concept of what should and should not be available to civilians.

AGS grabbed the fig leaf of public safety concerns to raise their "proposals" to Minister Shatter.

...except that the NARGC and NASRPC were notified of this consultation process several months before that case was heard and judgement issued.

...except that the NARGC and NASRPC were notified of this consultation process several months before that case was heard and judgement issued.

It still makes sense if the consultation was due, anyway and they latched on to what was said by the judge at a later stage.

They were hell-bent on the idea that firearms could be stolen up until that point, but I'm sure they saw the document from the EU Commission also. Who knows what they thought of that. Probably a combination of things.

So we've had 2 bad media articles and one neutral on this so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

An interesting article from the Scotsman newspaper which, in my opinion, goes a long way to explain how many police forces view legislation.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/scotland/top-stories/who-does-the-100-year-ban-protect-1-545863#

It still makes sense if the consultation was due, anyway and they latched on to what was said by the judge at a later stage.
    Except that they've been pushing the public safety line since 1924.
    It's not exactly a well-kept secret that the AGS range in opinion on a spectrum from "So long as it's very safe and strictly controlled, we tolerate private firearms ownership for a small group of the public for specific purposes and in places we know about" to "No. And what was your name again so I can inform C3?". And it's been that way for a long time.
    They were hell-bent on the idea that firearms could be stolen up until that point, but I'm sure they saw the document from the EU Commission also. Who knows what they thought of that. Probably a combination of things.
    Probably "oh, the EU's saying what we've been saying in public for years" or something like that. From the first public FCP conference six years ago for example:
    Then the Firearms Safety talk, and this was probably the least well received (though again, noone shouted or booed :D ). The presenter was from the National Crime Prevention Unit, who issue guidelines as advice to supers (they do not issue standards or rules, only advice as the super is the persona designata).
    I think his initial statement, repeated a few times through the talk, that firearms are designed to kill didn't endear him to anyone. That was cited as the need to have controls in place.
    The bulk of the responsibility for safety falls on the licenced firearms holder and while the vast majority are responsible, there are a minority of exceptions who create the need for controls.
    There are four main threats to safety -
    Accidental Shootings: Mostly these are caused by people leaving firearms accessible to non-shooters who pick them up and "play" with them and have accidental discharges as a result. This happens regardless of the background of the non-shooter involved.
    Acts of Passion: Described as a row in a domestic situation where the protagonists would pick up a knife and stab their spouse - and if a firearm was easily accessible would use that as well.
    Suicides - About 30 per year, and while it's not possible to prevent a determined person from committing suicide, the twin points were made that (1) it's usually not the licencee who commits suicide, and (2) in some cases it's the 18-year-old filled with angst over breaking up with his girl who shoots himself, whereas if he hadn't, he'd have been fine the next morning.
    (As we put it to each other over coffee, the reason we've not been granted licences for our .375H&H rifles is that we might have been devestated when our teenage girlfriends leave us for younger men and might have shot ourselves, and therefore the Gardai are really just telling us that they love and treasure us by refusing certificates)
    Burglary & Theft - ~350 cases per year, ~30 of which are from cars. Stolen guns are used in crime. Cabinets are only rarely broken into, most thefts are from outside the cabinet.
    In the case of Driving, we have controls - licencing, insurance, roadworthyness checks, the rules of the road. We need similar controls for shooting, but only because of a careless minority.

(Like I said, not the most well-received of talks, it was met with a measured but polite silence)
    So we've had 2 bad media articles and one neutral on this so far.
    Two bad, one that didn't count (neutral) and PQs coming at the worst possible time (when the Minister is under severe political pressure and needs a distraction).

It feels to me like someone's playing amateur hour with the politics of this to be honest. And that usually ends up with us getting it in the fork as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

The article about the background of the Dunblane mass murderer is very interesting. If all that is in it is correct it boils down to one public protection unit sergeant doing his job correctly and the rest of his colleagues doing a blind paperwork box ticking exercise. Again, going by the content of the article one question stands out a mile. Was there even a need to implement a ban on handguns if the licencing authorities had done a proper job with the available intelligence and legislation prior to the massacre. Keep in mind that the sergeant who formed the negative opinion on the murderer advised that he should not have a firearm at all, again assuming that the newspaper article is factually correct.

...and again...

March 4 2014:
    Dara Murphy (Cork North Central, Fine Gael)
    305. To ask the Minister for Justice and Equality his plans to alter legislation in relation to gun ownership for hunting and target practice; if he has received any requests to alter such legislation; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [10365/14]

Éamon Ó Cuív (Galway West, Fianna Fail)
    324. To ask the Minister for Justice and Equality if new restrictions are being considered in relation to the ownership and use of 30mm calibre rifles, semi-automatic rifles and semi-automatic shotguns; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [10999/14]

Alan Shatter (Minister, Department of Justice, Equality and Defence; Dublin South, Fine Gael)

I propose to take Questions Nos. 305 and 324 together.

In relation to possible changes to firearms licensing I refer the Deputies to my reply to questions 8957/14, 9245/14 and 9736/14 of 25 February 2014. The position is unchanged since then. That reply stated:
    Reply to questions 8957/14, 9245/14 & 9736/14 of 25 February 2014:

In light of public safety concerns highlighted by the Garda Commissioner and difficulties in the interpretation of the legislation expressed by members of the judiciary, my Department is examining key issues relating to firearms licensing in conjunction with An Garda Síochána. Recommendations are currently being finalised and I expect to receive a report in due course. No decisions will be made in advance of consideration of these recommendations.

Opportunities for consultation with relevant stakeholders will be explored when work on the proposals is further advanced.

Who's got a 30mm rifle in O'Cuiv's constituency?

Pretty indicative of how the guys asking the questions wouldn't know enough to judge the answer, that is.

Also, again, today, more of it. This is going to bite us in the arse lads...
    6 March 2014:
    Michael Healy-Rae (Kerry South, Independent)
    190. To ask the Minister for Justice and Equality the position regarding proposals to place further restrictions on firearms; if there will be an independent inquiry and report into the way the licencing system has been administered since the new legislation came in to force and before any new proposals are considered; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [11481/14]

Alan Shatter (Minister, Department of Justice, Equality and Defence; Dublin South, Fine Gael)

As I indicated in my reply to the Deputy's Question Number 143 of the 12th of February 2014, my Department is currently examining key issues relating to firearms licensing in conjunction with An Garda Síochána. The recommendations resulting from this process will be forwarded to me in due course. No decisions will be made in advance of consideration of these recommendations. However, the issue of public safety will be paramount in such consideration.

It is my intention that opportunities for consultation with relevant stakeholders will be explored when work on the proposals is further advanced.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Also, again, today, more of it. This is going to bite us in the arse lads...
    6 March 2014:

I think the Minister and a lot of TDs are realising how many people won't be happy if changes are made to the type of firearms that are allowed.

If I was a Minister or a TD, I think I'd be less likely to want to p1ss off a lot of people than a few people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I think the Minister and a lot of TDs are realising how many people won't be happy if changes are made to the type of firearms that are allowed.

If I was a Minister or a TD, I think I'd be less likely to want to p1ss off a lot of people than a few people.

And the answer, to be blunt, is not that many, and they're dispersed widely. The minister is quite clearly sick of the questions coming from the NARGC's rumour mill. If they have information, they're free to be 100% candid on the specific details and the source and the state of play with regard to the minister's views on the so far unseen proposals. Otherwise, this is just antagonistic baiting of the minister at a time he needs a crutch to lean on. Don't have us be that crutch.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Sikamick

And the answer, to be blunt, is not that many, and they're dispersed widely. The minister is quite clearly sick of the questions coming from the NARGC's rumour mill. If they have information, they're free to be 100% candid on the specific details and the source and the state of play with regard to the minister's views on the so far unseen proposals. Otherwise, this is just antagonistic baiting of the minister at a time he needs a crutch to lean on. Don't have us be that crutch.

I don't think the Minister needs a crutch to lean on, he is quite capable and I don't think we are as much of a problem as people make us out to be. In saying that don't burn your bridges we might need the NARGC and the NASRPC if the S**T did hit the fan. As the saying goes, keep your powder dry.

Sikamick

Got a nice rabbit this morning and picked up a copy of the Sunday Times: Looks like the gloves are off -

<SNIP>

MOD NOTE - Lads the laws on copyright are very tight and at present we are being updated on the definitions of what is and is not allowed. So until such a time as we get this clarified we have to stop all copying and pasting.

Apologies.

Mod Team.

Got a nice rabbit this morning and picked up a copy of the Sunday Times: Looks like the gloves are off -

<SNIP>

MOD NOTE - Lads the laws on copyright are very tight and at present we are being updated on the definitions of what is and is not allowed. So until such a time as we get this clarified we have to stop all copying and pasting.

Apologies.

Mod Team.

I hope for the sake of the Gardai's credibility that the article is a little bit overcooked. If it's on the mark one can rest assured some serious issues will arise that will leave a big mess on some desks. Personally I feel for all well meaning members of AGS who have been supportive of the shooting community over the years -and we all know that they're out there - if this is true.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭SVI40

It did come out during the judicial review in February 2012 under cross examination that the CS in question did alter some forms after the legal proceedings had commenced.

Supplemental mod note - For the record, the current legal ruling on copyright is that anything quoting 11 words or more - including the headline itself can violate copyright. The problem is that Minister Sherlock's ridiculous SI has left all this up to the courts so nobody properly knows where they stand in regard to the copyright line until someone steps over it and someone else sues (and if you think the NNI haven't been taking a stonking great interest in all of this, read this and weep).

So if you do see an article of interest, give the http:// link to it and talk about it, but you can't quote it directly.

Sorry, but this one's not something we get a say in :(

Looks like the gloves are off
    You'd hope not, or we'd be in a boxing match between Mike Tyson and Stephen Hawking and we wouldn't be Tyson in that metaphor...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

Why ? The laws of the land apply as much to the gardai as anyone else, if not more so. They have done just as they feel like for too long. I doubt the gardai would treat criminals with as much contempt as they do us.

rowa wrote: »
    Why ? The laws of the land apply as much to the gardai as anyone else, if not more so. They have done just as they feel like for too long. I doubt the gardai would treat criminals with as much contempt as they do us.

Need to disagree on that one rowa, the district where I'm living has been very accommodating to all gun owners I know and nobody of sound character I know of around the local hunting scene has to my knowledge ever been refused anything you and I would deem reasonable. I would even argue that in some cases the local Super has been extremely accommodating and has been willing, without a shadow of a doubt after thorough consideration, to not hold past mistakes or actions against people while he could have easily done so in very hard to contest circumstances.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,541 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

So if you do see an article of interest, give the http:// link to it and talk about it, but you can't quote it directly.

Ok, here you go:
    http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/ireland/article1385075.ece?CMP=OTH-gnws-standard-2014_03_08
    Sorry, but this one's not something we get a say in :(

Understood.

Advertisement