Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New England Patriots thread (MOD WARNING - #4503)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,736 ✭✭✭nerd69

me89 wrote: »
    Manning chokes again surprise surprise. Thats why i take Tom Brady every time:D

ya youve said that a few times :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭me89

nerd69 wrote: »
    ya youve said that a few times :rolleyes:

Have I?

me89 wrote: »
    Have I?

apologies mate my mistake was not you :)

apologies mate my mistake was not you :)

No problem at all;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

After that defensive performance by Seattle, did Talib's value go up?
    Obviously he has injury problem for two years running, and previous off-field issues.
    But good corners are hard to come by, and teams that need to improve in defense will look his way.

• Advertisement

After that defensive performance by Seattle, did Talib's value go up?
    Obviously he has injury problem for two years running, and previous off-field issues.
    But good corners are hard to come by, and teams that need to improve in defense will look his way.

If he wasn't so injury prone then maybe it would but when is the last time he played a full season. As much as i want us to resign him you can't pay top money for a guy who plays 10 games a season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

I think we dodged the bullet last week. I felt we were long odds at beating the Broncos in the AFC Championship last week so I was ok with the loss in my head and as the game unfolded, I was eerily calm.

Imagine if we had sneaked past with a victory against the Broncos and got into the Super Bowl? I think with all the hype and build up, I'd start believing we would have had a chance...we would have been thrashed last night and i would have been gutted, 3x Super Bowl losses...i'd be so sick this morning and all week like the last 2 times so glad now we didn't make it.

Our banged up team would have been destroyed by that Seahawks team, even our full strength team would have struggled, hell even if we got Hernandez back for the game, out on parole for good behavior (aka he went a month without murdering somebody, good job Aaron) we would have lost easily i feel.

But I'm excited about next season, this team can only get more talented. We have one of the youngest teams in the league but we need more weapons on Offense (Dobson looks like he could be a stud and hopefully Gronk will be back at 100%) and on D, if we can keep Talib i think we will be at least in reasonably good shape.

September can't come soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

One man for the Seahawks, one man no defense has ever stopped when he's fit. A man that will carry 3-4 defenders up the field with him if needs be. Yes it's the Gronkanator (providing his knee isn't taken out of course). Three years in a row we've lost him. They really need to devise an effective strategy for him next year. Maybe just play him intermittently for tough games, or just road games. No matter what, we need him fresh and healthy for the playoffs. Brady - Gronk is an unstoppable force when in full flow and with all the bad luck we've had. We certainly could do with some good luck next season.

I see a thread was started on 2014 Free Agents, so looking at our ones this is what I'm predicting....

Patriots 2014 Offensive Free Agents.

Julian Edelman WR He was the only dependable receiver Brady had from the 2012 season. Known for questionable durability, but boy did he step up big time this year with 105 catches for 1,056 yards and 6 TD’s. He was our most durable and consistent player on offense all season. When he was really needed the guy delivered and was Brady's only trustworthy WR all year. Keeping him is a no brainer, but I fear we may be outbid by a team with better cap space.
    My verdict:Keep

Austin Collie, WR – While he only played seven games and had 6 catches for 63 yards. They were all big catches. During the playoffs his production was better and once again he made key catches. In an ideal world I would like to keep Collie and cut Amendola. But that would involve us losing about $2.7 million against the cap and so it won’t happen.
    My verdict:Cut

LeGarrette Blount, RB – He seemed to play his better stuff later in the season and made a huge contribution carrying the team into the playoffs. He hasn’t the flash or slick moves of Ridley. But being built like a block house, he doesn’t need to. I love his run through you and over you style of football and would love to keep him. But again, I fear we may be outbid for him when he tests the open market.

Michael Hoomanawanui, TE –Hooman was really our only TE we had all season and with his 12 cathes for 136 yards and 1 TD he was never going to be a Gronk. Still he did a fine job at times in a blocking role. Having lost our elite TE attack, we will undoubtedly be drafting a TE this year. But looking at the injury jink surrounding Gronk, I expect us to resign Hooman for next season.

Matthew Mulligan, TE – Like Hooman, he was also utilised mainly as a blocker. He has 12 catches for 136 yards and 1 TD. But since I think we’ll be keeping Hooman, I have a feeling mulligan will be the casualty.

Ryan Wendell, OL – Wendell for me he’s is undersized for his position and a lot of our O line problems/Brady’s sacks stemmed from that issue. Like most of the O line, he played much better in 2012 than in 2013. However his durability is a big plus because he played every snap in 2013. But his lack of size is something that can’t keep getting overlooked. I expect him to be resigned and play more of a backup role in the long term.

Will Svitek, OL – He looked like a promising developmental prospect when he was signed. But as injuries ravaged the O line and he was thrown into the action, he was very poor and just not up to standard imo. So I’ll be really shocked if he’s on the roster next season.

Patriots 2014 Defensive Free Agents.

Aqib Talib CB – The game changed when we lost him in the ACF title game against the Broncos. The same way the game changed when we lost him in the AFC title game against the Ravens. He is a game changer, a difference maker on the field and the inspirational leader of the secondary. He has turned into a model pro since joining us and like Edelman, keeping him is a no-brainer. But his proneness to injury should affect him getting top dollar and that issue needs to be taken into account when making him an offer.

Brandon Spikes, LB – He won’t be coming back and I’ll eat my keyboard if he does. He’s a one dimensional run stuffer and that’s it. My fridge has greater speed and mobility for dropping back into pass coverage than he has. The 2013 drafting of the explosively athletic Jamie Collins more or less sealed his faith. Collins will be a a starter in 2014.

Dane Fletcher, LB – Fletcher really is our primary LB reserve right now. I expect Mayo-Higtower-Collins to be our starters next season. And again because of his great versatility for playing the postions, I expect Fletcher should remain our leading reserve.

Andre Carter, DE – He filled a hole this year and that was it. He certainly wasn’t the player he was with us a couple of seasons ago. Michael Buchanan will probably step up into the Carter role next season, So I expect carter won’t be coming back in 2014.

Patriots 2014 Special Teams Free Agents.

Danny Aiken, LS – I think he did a fine job with our FG unit so I expect him to be resigned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

On Blount- I see Toby Gerhart is a free agent and for me would be an upgrade on Blount for little $$$.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I see Blount going also, would like to see him signed but money will be needed more vitally in other areas and with Ridley, Vereen and Bolden I just think he will be looked at as expendable

Was thinking of rewatching all the Pats games this season beginning at week 1.
    Then leaving thoughts on each game here and looking for opinion and I guess reflection on the performance.

Not everyone would have Game Pass, but I think everyone would have their mind on particular incidents that would be interesting.

If nothing else it would help keep us going in the off season :)

Good idea, work away. I got rid of GP before the playoffs, so I'll see what I can remember. My memory isn't bad for football, but don't ask me where I left my car keys.

ya thatd be great i know im not a pats fan but id like to tag a few comments in on what you say.

would make a long boring offseason less boring

Ok then .
    The way I'm doing this is watching the condensed highlights on Game Pass.
    As each play occurs, I'll make a note, i.e. poor pass defense, no QB pressure by D, pen conceded......
    And then combine all notes into the summary.

So first up!

Regular season 1st game @ Bills.

Watching the game, you quickly realise something, there is no Hernandez/Gronk/Woodhead/Branch/Llyod/Welker
    It's kinda crazy looking back with who we started the season without and the changes that Brady had to cope with!

Full credit to Amendola in this game, got injured, but still got open and made game winning plays.
    Edelman did his bit as well, with two TD's.
    Vereen was also a factor in the passing game (and ran very well).
    Thompkins had a few catches but never really got open.
    All of this was when the pass protection was good, but it was also unreliable, Tom was under pressure and sacked three times.

The reverse was that we had no QB pressure on Manuel (apart from once late in the third quarter).
    The defense otherwise had a very good game forcing two turnovers and kept the Bills scoreless in the final quarter which allowed us to win with two FG's.

Blount began the season as our kickoff returner, not very effective, and wasn't doing much in the running game either.
    Ridley fumbled his first carry but was down by contact, after that he was running very well, until he again fumbled (this time untouched) and the Bills recovered and ran it in for a TD, which changed the scoreline to 10:7. Ridley wasn't seen again in this game.
    Our second turnover was when Zudfeld failed to hold onto a pass and the Bills scored a TD from it.
    The last turnover was on the Bills goal line, Tom fumbles the snap and the Bills jump on it.

Another standout from the game was the Bills giving up penalties, 10+, it really hit them hard at times.

Overall, it was a game where we looked good when the pass protection was good. The running game (apart from Ridley's fumbles) was good. The defense played well (but no pass rush). We got the win (Gost doing his job all day), but the Ridley fumbles + the OL not always doing a good job + still integrating the new receivers + Amendola's injury; all would play a part in games to come.

Some stats to how we did against the Bills in comparison to other teams:

Bills defence ranked 20th in total pts allowed (24.2pts per game), conceding 22pts in this game
    Bills defence ranked 10th in total yards allowed (333.4yds per game), conceding 431yds in this game

Bills offense ranked 22nd in total pts scored (21.2pts per game), scoring 21pts in this game
    Bills offense ranked 19th in total yards gained (338.1yds per game), gaining 286yds in this game

Scoring, we matched the average, but yards wise we did a better job than most.
    Seems our defense did a decent job against a below average offense, while our offense didn't turn their yardage into pts.
    Which I think summed up my feelings on the game itself.

Regular season 1st game @ Bills.

Watching the game, you quickly realise something, there is no Hernandez/Gronk/Woodhead/Branch/Llyod/Welker
    It's kinda crazy looking back with who we started the season without and the changes that Brady had to cope with!

Full credit to Amendola in this game, got injured, but still got open and made game winning plays.
    Edelman did his bit as well, with two TD's.
    Vereen was also a factor in the passing game (and ran very well).
    Thompkins had a few catches but never really got open.
    All of this was when the pass protection was good, but it was also unreliable, Tom was under pressure and sacked three times.

The reverse was that we had no QB pressure on Manuel (apart from once late in the third quarter).
    The defense otherwise had a very good game forcing two turnovers and kept the Bills scoreless in the final quarter which allowed us to win with two FG's.

Blount began the season as our kickoff returner, not very effective, and wasn't doing much in the running game either.
    Ridley fumbled his first carry but was down by contact, after that he was running very well, until he again fumbled (this time untouched) and the Bills recovered and ran it in for a TD, which changed the scoreline to 10:7. Ridley wasn't seen again in this game.
    Our second turnover was when Zudfeld failed to hold onto a pass and the Bills scored a TD from it.
    The last turnover was on the Bills goal line, Tom fumbles the snap and the Bills jump on it.

Another standout from the game was the Bills giving up penalties, 10+, it really hit them hard at times.

Overall, it was a game where we looked good when the pass protection was good. The running game (apart from Ridley's fumbles) was good. The defense played well (but no pass rush). We got the win (Gost doing his job all day), but the Ridley fumbles + the OL not always doing a good job + still integrating the new receivers + Amendola's injury; all would play a part in games to come.

Brady missing pretty much all his receiving corp, or 94% of all receptions was totally unprecedented for any QB. It really was the stuff nightmares are made of. I remember the promise Amendola showed in that game and his toughness when he played on through injury. Sadly for me he never showed that same promise from then on. Sudfield was shocking, he showed amazing hands in preseason and looked like he had a hand transplant in that game. Christ I totally forgot about Ridleys fumbling issues. I mean how bad is that, first game of the season and you would expect him to be extra careful and focused.

Sudfield was shocking, he showed amazing hands in preseason and looked like he had a hand transplant in that game. Christ I totally forgot about Ridleys fumbling issues. I mean how bad is that, first game of the season and you would expect him to be extra careful and focused.
    Sudfeld looked the real deal in pre-season, but it wouldn't be long before he was out.
    It wouldn't be the first time we'd see Ridley smash his helmet to the ground on the sidelines either.

In case some of you guys don't know already, here is our list of opponents for the 2014 season. I have also including our usual AFC East rivals.

Home: Buffalo, Miami, NY Jets, Denver, Oakland, Chicago, Detroit, Cincinnati

Away: Buffalo, Miami, NY Jets, Kansas City, San Diego, Green Bay, Minnesota, Indianapolis

Pretty tough imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,032 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

In case some of you guys don't know already, here is our list of opponents for the 2014 season. I have also including our usual AFC East rivals.

Home: Buffalo, Miami, NY Jets, Denver, Oakland, Chicago, Detroit, Cincinnati

Away: Buffalo, Miami, NY Jets, Kansas City, San Diego, Green Bay, Minnesota, Indianapolis

Pretty tough imo.

See you in the Superbowl, so ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Our road games have some potentially tough matches alright, travelling to East to West to play San Diego is not ideal, the Colts at home will be tough, Green Bay is Green Bay and obviously KC could be tricky, but I would be confident of beating our divisional rivals home and away next year (cant possibly have so many injuries, a good draft/FA and a better WR corp due to the good experience gained this year)

I dont think we will have any trouble making the playoffs or anything, but we may need to pick up a couple of really tough road wins to get the number 1 seed which should be the target

Neil3030 wrote: »
    See you in the Superbowl, so ;)

And I'd like to commiserate with you in advance....:pac:

And I'd like to commiserate with you in advance....:pac:

The age old Brady v Manning debate will be settled by the points difference - anything less than 35, Brady gets the gong. :P

The age old Brady v Manning debate will be settled by the points difference - anything less than 35, Brady gets the gong. :P

i think thats pretty much over tbh its almost a carbon copy of montana v marino

i think thats pretty much over tbh its almost a carbon copy of montana v marino

I didn't want to say it....:pac:

I didn't want to say it....:pac:

im neutral belgium any of ye would start a war with words like that :D

Let's let the LOB Criterion settle it once and for all!

Let's let the LOB Criterion settle it once and for all!

rovers dead buddy you gota let him go :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

So Bob Kraft claiming they'll be reluctant to spend big money on Talib, pointing to his injury problems as a big concern....

Guess that'll be him hitting the market.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement