Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New England Patriots thread (MOD WARNING - #4503)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,860 ✭✭✭nerd69

What about Kenny Britt?
    Big and quick.. had some serious drops this year (contract year) can get himself into trouble a bit especially in the off season and NE is a lot closer to NJ than Nashville is

that would be a great signing for the pats never thought of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭me89

kryogen wrote: »
    Fitzgerald would be a fantasy, and a very sweet one at that! Super player, imagine him and getting thrown to by Brady? The production would be through the roof!

Ah to dream............

One can only dream:o, Imagine it did happen tho it would be Moss 07 like production.

What do people think we'll do with our first round pick?

me89 wrote: »
    One can only dream:o, Imagine it did happen tho it would be Moss 07 like production.

What do people think we'll do with our first round pick?

ideally grab ebron but bill will go best player available id imagine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

Thing is we could rattle off so many guys who would fit the Pats system but realistically how many of them will Bill even consider. Given our record of going for big time guys I can't see us making waves with a big name WR. I know people will mention Moss Johnson and Lloyd but realistically out of the 3 Moss was really the only big name and even then he had his own issues.

Johnson had great production in Cinci but his issues were well known by many and Bill felt he could fix him but he didn't fit the Pats system because lets face it he wasn't very smart when it came learning plays. Lloyd then was a hit and miss grab as he had an up and down career. Moss was the only bright spark but even then his production wasn't great with the Raiders when we got him and he had issues.

Unless these guys have issues I can't see the Pats going to get any of them. Patriot way these days is to get a guy in turmoil and offer him a contract that doesn't affect the Pats cap space while trying to fix him and getting production.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I agree with TO., we could list out WR's' until the cows come home. But Bill won't be moving unless there's a real bargain out there which is very unlikely. The other big reason is our cap space, we just don't have the cap room right now. No doubt there will be several players restructured and extended but I still can't see us raising enough space to go after a leading WR.

• Advertisement

i think bill will grab a very good wr/te somehow he does not generally splash or reach for players but its obvious to him and everyone else that the window with tom brady is closing and he need weapons

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

I read on nfl.com that Edelman wants to try out FA and see how much he can make. Would the pats be willing to pay him what he thinks he deserves

I read on nfl.com that Edelman wants to try out FA and see how much he can make. Would the pats be willing to pay him what he thinks he deserves

Ya, he mentioned that on a radio show a couple of days ago. Our cap space isn't good this year no thanks to Hernandez. So I'm worried he'll get a better offer somewhere else. It's gas really, nobody would touch him in last years FA and now they'll be falling over themselves to get him. It makes good business sense to never pay a player what he thinks' he's worth. Better to find common ground and a fair deal for everyone. Edelman is bound to know we're in an unusually bad spot this year. If he wants to stay a Patriot, then he'll meet the team half way. If not he'll go with the highest bidder. Robert Kraft just spoke yesterday about him...
    “I definitely want Edelman back. He’s an outstanding young man. We hope he wants to be back. Once again it’s about two sides coming together.”

What annoys me is we can't get rid of Amendola, because we'll lose about $2.6 million if he's cut. So they'll probably stick with him, try him another year, lose Edelman and this time next be once again regretting not giving Brady the weapons he needs around him, as the window of opportunity continues to close.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Some definite bad luck, some reasonable gambles that didnt work out, but some flat out poor roster decisions in the last few years imo.

Its a tough job trying to balance the roster, I understand that, but instead of signing guys like Amendola, who I was 100% opposed to, the money could surely have been put to better use? Hernandez I would class as a reasonable gamble, which hasnt worked out. He had everybody fooled and if we cant get back any of the cap space because of him then it is truly a monumental kick in the teeth.

The window is closing, we will never see the likes of Brady again, thats my take on it and he deserves to be given the best chance possible of getting another right to firmly cement his place as the GOAT.

If things had worked out, Gronk and Hernandez, I think we would already have that, but they havent, for reasons everyone is aware of. The time is now to do something to fix it. Trades, FA, the draft, this years off season will be fascinating. I think we will lose Blount anyway, Edelman seems to really love the place so he could stay, as long as we can afford to pay him fairly. Unless we can get someone to take Danny he stays too unfortunately. Dobson and Thompkins will have come on leaps and bounds for the experience gained this year, a genuinely top level WR would help them big time

The O line needs work and its a shame thats come at the wrong time, the cap space is really going to affect how we can move this season negatively. Talib may or may not return, that could go either way I think. The D is as always something that needs to be improved, hopefully big Vin can make a full comeback, and a re structure!

Anyway, looking forward to the game tomorrow. Will think more about the off season stuff after that

Edelman seems to really love the place so he could stay, as long as we can afford to pay him fairly.

One thing that struck me immediately after the AFC Championships loss, was how emotional Edelman was in the locker room afterwards. At the time, his emotion reminded of a guy who has played his last game for the team. But I really, really hope I'm wrong on that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭dh1985

Couldnt blame anyone for looking for the best deal available to oneself. If julian does go else where I do think that danny will fill his boots. Boyce may put his shoulder to the wheel also. Patriots have overcome bigger set backs over the years and will come through this no matter the outcome. Everyone cant be as selfless as tom brady. if we had more of him the cap space would not be an issue.

I admire your confidence in Amendola, but I just can't see him getting anyway near the level of trust that Julian had with Tom. His 1 target and 1 drop against the Broncos summed up his season for me - very disappointing. I don't know if you saw the comments from Brady after the AFC title game. He was glowing in his praise of Edelman. And then when a reporter asked him about Amendola. There was a very noticeable, measured pause before he spoke. Of course he said nice things about a teammate like he always does. But the difference in his comments between Edelman and Amendola was pretty obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭dh1985

No doubt I could be mistaken but I do think danny has more to offer. He did start the season well. I think edelman minimsed his targets during the season. Tom brady no more than manning makes average recievers look awesome. Look at welkers production for instance. Not saying welker is only average but he was before he met tom. Great qbs make good recievers great. I did like julian though. He did epitomises then patriot way

Looking on the defensive side of the ball, never mind Brady's lack of elite targets costing us games and titles. Here are some eye wateringly bad defensive stats.......

5Ab4h2.jpg

Those appalling stats have really cost us. We gave up less +20 yards plays this year than the previous 2 years, thanks to the Talib effect. But getting off the field on 3rd down got even worse. A lot of work needs to be done, Adrian Wilson needs to be cut, Gregory might be cut, but he might also be extended to free up some more cap space. Personally I’d prefer to see Harmon winning the starting Safety spot. I can see Gregory have a real squeaky bum summer.

The Talib contract is a priority but the value must reflect how injury prone he is and the critical time he has missed for us in big games. Arrignton should be gone imo, he was so bad in a lot of games this year. Of course the muppets gave him his new contract last year for no reason. I’m not sure of his cap hit, but no doubt we can’t cut him because it’ll cost us a few million. McCourty should have a well deserved long term contract sorted out over the summer.

Jake Bequette who has done absolutely nothing for the last two years should go. He cannot cover Ninkovich and Jones and those lads need quality rotational support. Both played around 93% - 94% of all defensive snaps this season and that is way too high. Keeping both fresh is a priority. Andre Carter should also be sent packing, because he’s not the player we had a couple of seasons ago.

I expect restructures for Wilfork, Mayo and Kelly to again free up more cap space. Wilfork’s cap hit is $7.5 million in 2014, so expect a 2-3 year extension to be added this offseason. I don't think he was playing his best football before it happened, so long term, I have my concerns about Wilfork successfully coming back from his Achilles injury.

Spikes is undoubtedly gone and I think Collins is a starter right now. He was our defensive player of the playoffs and was just getting into his groove near the end of the season. I’d love to pick up another Collins style LB either in the draft or FA. So I hope to see Mayo-Hightower-Collins as our 3 starting LB’s next year. Fletcher will also probably be resigned because he's very versatile and interchangeable with any our the LB's. But who the fifth one will be is anyone's guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,956 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Have you got 3rd down stats for the season just gone?

eagle eye wrote: »
    Have you got 3rd down stats for the season just gone?

Yip, the table above includes the 2013 season and the defensive stop % on 3rd Down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Well, the SB went exactly as I predicted :P

Seriously though, what a performance by Seattle. Outstanding all game.
    Seattle D did as I expected, I just didn't see Denver blow it so badly.

Disappointed for Wes.
    Would have been disappointed for Manning, but he choked big time!

[MOD SNIP]No need for the little personal snipe[/MOD SNIP]

Disappointed for Wes.

I'll be honest and say I'm not. I re-watched our 2011 Superbowl and totally forgot about his shockingly bad drop with 4 minutes left on the clock in the 4th. We were leading, it was a perfect pass and he inexplicably dropped it in the middle of the field. It was a huge drop on third down and we would at least had FG range to increase the lead.To avoid any confusion, it wasn't the sideline drop he had to get a first down deep in the Giant half which came after the 4 minute drop. And maybe it's karma for his role in taking Talib out of the game. I wanted Peyton to win his 2nd ring but I could have cared less about Welker winning one tbh.

Delighted for Wes would be a more accurate description of my feelings if Im being honest.

The only one I feel sympathy for is Manning, a qb of his calibre is going to be criminally under decorated with just 1 ring. Delighted for Pete though and Wilson, they have done a tremendous job drafting and coaching in Seattle lately.

@ Corvus, how could you forget that drop! The screaming I did at the TV after that! **** me I could have killed him in that moment :) Another ring was pretty much a cert there if he just held on to the football!

@ Corvus, how could you forget that drop!!

Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.:(

• Advertisement

Wes was just such a favourite player of mine, I would have liked to see him get a ring.

Deckers FA value took a hit tonight.

Wes was just such a favourite player of mine, I would have liked to see him get a ring.

I would take him in a heartbeat

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

I would take him in a heartbeat

Have him, no refunds though.

Read in an article last week that his big game credentials were questionable. Last night's performance did nothing to dispel that.

Are you allowed post here again then?

Fair play for giving credit where it was due, doesnt exactly absolve you of all the bull**** you have posted this year, but at least its one positive thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Read in an article last week that his big game credentials were questionable. Last night's performance did nothing to dispel that.

If there's any importance to the game at all he goes totally missing, on top of that if he faces any physical DB play at all he falls apart and goes bitching for flags. One of many players i'll be glad to see the back of

After the AFC game, I wasn't too upset.
    I'd picked the Broncos to win, and after watching the NFC game I felt that there winner was coming from the NFC.

On the game last night, I'm not sure how we could have done much better.
    But I've got to believe that Tom and Bill might have done a better job.
    The first two picks by Manning were due to a poor throw (at only 8:0 towards the end of Q1) and not just taking the sack (at 15:0 towards the end of Q2).
    And the decisions/coaching by Fox left a lot to be desired (poor challenge, and no real second half adjustments).

I do feel for the Broncos fans. We know what it's like to lose a SB, but losing in a blowout has really got to hurt.

Looking forward to next season, it still appears that the Pats and Broncos are the best in the AFC.
    But an interesting draft ahead, with some quality players in FA, so it's far from a given that the AFC will be represented by NE/Denver.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

I also think the Pats would've done a better job.

The Broncos kept to the same gameplan, they didn't really seems to make any major adjustments to the Hawks play, which is where I think BB would have done a better job.

That being said, by "better" I mean we would have kept the scoreline inside 30 points...
    Anyone who showed up last night was going to be man-handled by that D.
    I'm glad I didn't have to watch Brady be on the receiving end of it.

jesus lads a lot of bitterness here towards one of yere greatest receivers ever

most teams would have done better yesterday not just the pats broncos just had possibly the greatest collective choke of all time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭me89

nerd69 wrote: »
    jesus lads a lot of bitterness here towards one of yere greatest receivers ever

most teams would have done better yesterday not just the pats broncos just had possibly the greatest collective choke of all time

Manning chokes again surprise surprise. Thats why i take Tom Brady every time:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement