Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC modem/router Technicolor TC7200

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭wiz569

donal100 wrote: »
    So are UPC not allowing us to go buy our own modems and use them ourselves?

No mate unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Mathiasb

Is there no way of changing the LAN IP range? I used to be on 192.168.1.x but the default is now 192.168.0.x . Attempting to change just gives:

Error converting one or more entries:

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭genek

just for everyone following this thread, I have switched TC 7200 into bridge mode and all works nicely.
    all details can be found in http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057106714

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

Anyone know how to change the MTU setting? My issue is trying to login to XBL

I have rang UPC and emailed on numerous occasions. Not to sound sexist but I keep getting girls on the phone who keep saying "oh I'm not that technically minded, I need to ask someone".

Anyway they told me to ring this number, 1550 924 124, which cost 95c a minute because changing this settings is not supported by UPC.

I found an article whereby you could Telnet in to the router and change the setting that way but when I attempted to log in, using the admin credentials, access was denied. I am assuming that there are Super Admin credentials that I need to log in.

I also have the older Cisco EPC2425 and was thinking of just switching back to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭white_westie

Mathiasb wrote: »
    Is there no way of changing the LAN IP range? I used to be on 192.168.1.x but the default is now 192.168.0.x . Attempting to change just gives:

Yes you can, see posting http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=88012989&postcount=377

Have been running on a different subnet since the start

WW

• Advertisement

Anyone know how to change the MTU setting? My issue is trying to login to XBL

I have rang UPC and emailed on numerous occasions. Not to sound sexist but I keep getting girls on the phone who keep saying "oh I'm not that technically minded, I need to ask someone".

Anyway they told me to ring this number, 1550 924 124, which cost 95c a minute because changing this settings is not supported by UPC.

Forget about the number they gave you, they mislead people with that.
    Apparently this router is very limited in regards to settings hence most of us using the external routers with more sophisticated settings available.

I am not an expert but if you switch TC into bridge mode it will act as modem hence MTU can be setup on your external router.

Yes you can, see posting http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=88012989&postcount=377

Have been running on a different subnet since the start

WW

Never worked for me either m8,but haven't tried lately as I just changed my devices to the new subnet,

Really want to put the TC in bridge mode but would like to be able to switch back if it went wrong :)

wiz569 wrote: »

Really want to put the TC in bridge mode but would like to be able to switch back if it went wrong :)

according to this lad http://blog.vucica.net/category/troubleshooting you get it back to factory reset by holding reset button for 30s

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭gabbo is coming

Hi

Is it possible to enable both phone ports on this modem, only the outer one is enabled....

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭huggs2

Hi

Is it possible to enable both phone ports on this modem, only the outer one is enabled....
    Yes the outer port is for your 1st phone line.If you order a 2nd phone line they will activate the second port for you.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭gabbo is coming

huggs2 wrote: »
    Yes the outer port is for your 1st phone line.If you order a 2nd phone line they will activate the second port for you.:)

Yea, get that. On an ATA you can configure both to be linked to same sip

Can technicolour do same? (Or upc equivalent to sip)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 donal100

Does anybody know how to setup the parental controls? I went into basic setup and enabled parental controls then went web site filters and added two sites and saved it but they can still be accessed... Any help would be great!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Does anybody know how to setup the parental controls? I went into basic setup and enabled parental controls then went web site filters and added two sites and saved it but they can still be accessed... Any help would be great!
    Have you enabled it in Basic Setup and set the TOD , time of day too and made sure the mode is set to blocked ?

Perhaps restart it ? - though you shouldn't have to

or it might just be more functionality that UPC have removed in the same way you can't use the both Wifi bands at the same time , and you can't use the USB port

http://www.opendns.com/ is another way of filtering stuff

You need to goto "Device Rules" and add the device that you want to apply the rules to :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

I've just upgraded my BB to the 120mg package but am still using the original white Thomson on e I got a few years ago when I signed up. Just wondering is this still ok to use with this package as I seem to remember reading at the time that 60mg was pushing these modems. The UPC guy reckons it should be ok but they will upgrade it for free if not. Its a few years old now so might be worth getting something new out of them, is wifi speeds better on their new equipment?

aaronm13 wrote: »
    I've just upgraded my BB to the 120mg package but am still using the original white Thomson on e I got a few years ago when I signed up. Just wondering is this still ok to use with this package as I seem to remember reading at the time that 60mg was pushing these modems. The UPC guy reckons it should be ok but they will upgrade it for free if not. Its a few years old now so might be worth getting something new out of them, is wifi speeds better on their new equipment?

If it works ok m8 please stay with it,their new equipment is pants tbh :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

wiz569 wrote: »
    If it works ok m8 please stay with it,their new equipment is pants tbh :)

Thanks for that. Works fine just need to run a speed test. That's a shame about their new equipment, really thought I could have got a new decent bit of kit off them.

aaronm13 wrote: »
    .....really thought I could have got a new decent bit of kit off them.

Yeah I fell for that line from them :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Is the BB only modem they use now any good.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 bilbo_2212

Is it possible to switch off wireless on the Tech 72000, plug my own Netgear150 into it as use the Netgear as a router + WiFi...?
    Are there any convoluted settings I'd need to configure....?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

bilbo_2212 wrote: »
    Is it possible to switch off wireless on the Tech 72000, plug my own Netgear150 into it as use the Netgear as a router + WiFi...?
    Are there any convoluted settings I'd need to configure....?

No bridging allowed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

No bridging allowed

no true

Tnks. Presume that's what "Bridging" is
    switching their box to work purely as a modem. (Unsure where, but I thought I read on one of these forums that using a different router+wireless device would work.)

Just saw docentore's reply----could you explain further....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

bilbo_2212 wrote: »
    Just saw docentore's reply----could you explain further....

Check my thread. I wrote it based on my Thomson TWG870, but Technicolor and Thomson is the same company. Few folks confirmed that the method works on Technicolor.

Read it....seems it may be the answer (if I can follow the steps
    noob).
    Will read posts to inform myself further.

(Am trying to pre-empt any problems before signing up to UPC).
    Tnks to you and your colleagues for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 biglovin

Hi, I have an account for offside streams and streamboxtv but i cant view any of the programs when i log in at home on my laptop of iphone. I can log in and view fine from work or when i go 3g on my phone. I am UPC 50mg but i am starting to think that they must be blocking the service. Has anyone encountered something similar?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18 Splish Splashing

What exactly are the problems people are having with this router then? I've just installed it and it seems to work fine, getting downloads roughly 3x faster than previous (30mb -> 50mb advertised speed) and a much better wifi signal throughout the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Is Remote Management really not doable on this either?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭JethroC

docentore wrote: »
    Check my thread. I wrote it based on my Thomson TWG870, but Technicolor and Thomson is the same company. Few folks confirmed that the method works on Technicolor.

I can confirm that this works on the Technicolor TC7200.

It took me about 5 mins at most and worked first time. I now have my Cisco Linksys E2000 with DD-WRT up and running using the 7200 purely as a modem :D

Advertisement