Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

UPC modem/router Technicolor TC7200

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 TheCountEIRE

ED E wrote: »
    Yeah, they just reprovision it. Its a few clicks from their end. The wifi will only push 40Mb on it but if you connect with gig you'll see the full speed.

Ok, so will they do that though if i ring them up? They gave us the new TC2700 with the upgrade so is it likly they'll let us use the old router and take of the limitation? I can probably fix the solution if i can get the 3925 going with the 120meg and bridge support.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,160 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Ok, so will they do that though if i ring them up? They gave us the new TC2700 with the upgrade so is it likly they'll let us use the old router and take of the limitation? I can probably fix the solution if i can get the 3925 going with the 120meg and bridge support.

They should do it if you ring em. Bastards might try and charge an "activation" fee though.

They should do it if you ring em. Bastards might try and charge an "activation" fee though.

Sounds about right, will try this then. Cheers man.

By the way, i've heard on a UPC connection that you cannot get your own router to replace the terrible ones offered? Can anyone confirm this, just running out of options here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭wiz569

By the way, i've heard on a UPC connection that you cannot get your own router to replace the terrible ones offered? Can anyone confirm this, just running out of options here.

Correct you must use their equipment,would not be so bad if it wasn't so crap,or if they allowed bridge mode

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭m_stan

Can someone please explain in very basic non technical terms what 'no bridging mode' means?

I'm currently on 30mb broadband with UPC with a Cisco router and want to switch to 120mb which will mean there's a 50/50 chance I'll end up with the Technicolor router. I currently have my existing Cisco router connected to 1) a 16 port switch that connects it all the rooms around my house with wired connections to devices on the ends, and one Wifi router at the end of my garden and 2) a Sonos Bridge for my wireless music.

As well as the answer to the above question, can anyone confirm whether the lack of 'bridging mode' on the technicolor router will break the above setup in any way? If it does, I might avoid the risk and stay with the 30mb!

Thanks in advance

If you have the cisco with no antenna (3925) then you CAN bridge.

If its the 2425/TC7200 then you cant bridge.

Bridging gives control of the network to another device. Your setup wont be effected at all by changing modem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭m_stan

If you have the cisco with no antenna (3925) then you CAN bridge.

If its the 2425/TC7200 then you cant bridge.

Bridging gives control of the network to another device. Your setup wont be effected at all by changing modem.

Thanks. The irony here is that I DO want the TC7200 since it's compatible with my Sonos system (the Cisco is not).

When you say 'bridging gives control of the network to other devices' what does that mean, and in what situations does it cause issues? Just thinking down the line and what downsides I might face if I go ahead. Thanks in advance and sorry for the dumb questions.

Right now the Cisco is both Modem(Think transmitter for the cable line) and Router(Gives out IP addresses, routes traffic, runs the firewall etc). Bridging means the Cisco just does the modem part, sending and receiving data off the cable, and the device its bridged to does the "thinking". This is handy if the Cisco isnt able to keep up with your usage or doesnt have the features you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,798 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Right now the Cisco is both Modem(Think transmitter for the cable line) and Router(Gives out IP addresses, routes traffic, runs the firewall etc).

So, what does the 7200 do or not do that's different? Is it not a router? Is it not a modem?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 gasman77

The 3925 and 7200 are both modem/routers and both have the same deficiencies, namely poor wireless range and router performance.
    However it is possible to put the 3925 into bridge mode whereby it becomes purely a modem. Now you can attach your own router of choice allowing enhanced performance etc.
    The 7200 has no bridge mode option, hence it is less versatile

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If you can't bridge would there be any point in using your routers IP address as DMZ host ?

If you can't bridge would there be any point in using your routers IP address as DMZ host ?

Yes and no. Thats how I used to do it before the update for the Cisco firmware. It gives you the features of the new router, but latency isnt great as you're still double NATing. My latency out to the INEX point in Citywest(least I assume thats where its hitting) is 21ms, thats more like 45 through the cisco when its routing. Worth something if you're gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Gabber113

I got also one of those 7200 beasts and was looking to add opendns for free to it. That how I ended up in this forum...
    and got it to work with LAN and Wifi... not sure if already soemposted this but the solution has already been posted.
    Anyway I just registered at http://www.opendns.com/home-solutions/parental-controls/ and have free full access.
    Then I added the DNS: Basic > Local Area Network > DNS Server
    Saved and restarted after flushing dns and cache - few minutes later its all working via LAN and WIFI;)
    Filters settings can be changed in open dns dashboard...

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2 fartfile

Assume you are talking about the changing the IP addr of the router - so just go into the LAN setup page and change it to whatever you want, save and router should reboot.
    Easier to do this when connected via cable not wireless.

WW

Doesn't work for me, I tried to change it from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.1.1 and it won't take. Saw some previous posts stating the same thing that no one could change the internal IP, so was wondering if anyone had tried doing it this way...

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭white_westie

fartfile wrote: »
    Doesn't work for me, I tried to change it from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.1.1 and it won't take. Saw some previous posts stating the same thing that no one could change the internal IP, so was wondering if anyone had tried doing it this way...

Just looking at my setup again and only thing I remember was that I kept getting locked out after making the changes. Only a reboot allowed me back in.
    All I did was connect via cable, selected BASIC, LOCAL AREA NETWORK menu, changed IP Address field as well as Starting Local Address, clicked Save, and modem restarted. I then had to power cycle to allow me back in, but address and dhcp range was changed.

My TC7200 Software Version is STD6.01.08.T20 - don't think it's changed since I go it.

Don't understand why it's not working for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 donal100

So I was thinking that UPC have disabled the USB port on the router and have taken away most of the features that would normally be on the Technicolor modem with their own firmware. I haven't seen an update area on the modem but I did find restore. Would it be possible to flash the modem with the original technicolor firmware and have a decent modem?

donal100 wrote: »
    So I was thinking that UPC have disabled the USB port on the router and have taken away most of the features that would normally be on the Technicolor modem with their own firmware. I haven't seen an update area on the modem but I did find restore. Would it be possible to flash the modem with the original technicolor firmware and have a decent modem?

Nope, these are provisioned devices so if you flashed it yourself you'd disconnect from the network completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Am I Evil?

Not happy with this router at all.
    I had the Cisco 3950 and it worked well until the last few weeks where it went a bit mental.

UPC shipped me out a replacement and it was this Technicolor. Wifi speeds have dropped from 70+ with the cisco to between 40-50 with the technicolor

Not good enough

Anybody brave enough to try this on the TC7200?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057106714

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

wiz569 wrote: »
    Anybody brave enough to try this on the TC7200?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057106714

I did this on my friends connection. Worked like a charm :)

Nice one m8,

Did you hit any unexpected problems on the way,and did you find anyway to reverse the procedure,if needed?

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Am I Evil?

Whats the benefit of doing that lads?
    Can I then go off and use my own router? Preferably an 802.11ac? :pac:

Am I Evil? wrote: »
    Whats the benefit of doing that lads?
    Can I then go off and use my own router? Preferably an 802.11ac? :pac:

It puts the TC7200 into modem only mode,so yes you can then use any router of your choosing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Nice one m8,

Did you hit any unexpected problems on the way,and did you find anyway to reverse the procedure,if needed?

I didn't run into any really. I was using a bog standard windows 7 laptop and I haven't found a way to reverse it but then again, I wouldn't really need to unless I fecked up royally :-P

And just to confirm, it now runs completely in modem mode and has no detrimental effect on bandwidth/speeds etc

Very tempted to try but there are 4 of us relying on internet here lol

And just to confirm, it now runs completely in modem mode and has no detrimental effect on bandwidth/speeds etc

Very tempted to try but there are 4 of us relying on internet here lol

Ha wi569, in the same boat as yourself. Was barred from playing with modem after initial failures to even get it to read snmp trap info, and with exams coming up house cannot be without broadband.
    Tried inititally to connect to the 7200 using both CMWatch and MIBBROWSER but no luck. Might get an opportunity to try over the weekend, but even if it works would be reluctant to make the change unless there was a rollback.

@poisonedstream - not brave enough to try it on your own kit....:P

I didn't run into any really. I was using a bog standard windows 7 laptop and I haven't found a way to reverse it but then again, I wouldn't really need to unless I fecked up royally :-P

Was wondering
    Does a factory reset not return everything to as was before?
    Can you not connect and reverse the oid value back to 2 again?
    Does the phone still work when in bridge mode?

Regards
    WW

• Registered Users Posts: 18,798 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Does anyone know how to force an IP address change on this modem?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 donal100

So are UPC not allowing us to go buy our own modems and use them ourselves?

Advertisement