Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Improvements at Ryanair

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

is the site working ok for ye?

i wasnt able to get anything on it earlier, then managed to do an online check in earlier, then was able to book flights and now again cant get anything to work.

its very very shaky since the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

is the site working ok for ye?

i wasnt able to get anything on it earlier, then managed to do an online check in earlier, then was able to book flights and now again cant get anything to work.

its very very shaky since the weekend.

I was able to check flight prices at 3pm yesterday, but I had to try checking in twice at about 3:30 as the first attempt lead to a freeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

Here's Michael O'Leary on Newsnight last night; discussing customer service and the recent developments in Ryanair.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

What a legend. I'm sure there are people who will watch that interview and have the opposite reaction to me. Their welcome to their opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Razor44

im no MOL fan tbh, but she's not so much as interviewing him as shouting at him. shoddy journalism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

Razor44 wrote: »
    im no MOL fan tbh, but she's not so much as interviewing him as shouting at him. shoddy journalism.
    It looked like she was going out of her way to provoke him and she ended up giving Ryanair perfect publicity for this new image.
    A few years ago MOL would have told her to F off. Now he comes across as a caring, apologetic, genuine airline man. Played Kirsty perfectly.
    If the service improves as well as MOL has done there, then happy days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

I love MOL. The interviewer really didn't do her job well. Splurted out questions which have been answered before and brought up dispatches program.

/OT I like the way Ryanair get given out to for bikini girls when its not just women used to sell stuff, look at Galaxy ad with the male dancers.

There was an air of self-righteousness about her interview style - while totally misrepresenting Ryanair in a way that wouldn't be imitated for any other airline.

Michael O'Leary 1 - 0 Newsnight

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

That was a terrible performance by the interviewer alright. She just kept on bringing up the usual qualms like the paying for the boarding card if you forget it, and the dispatched programme.

It seems like no matter what Ryanair do, they will be attacked by the media. Fairplay to MOL keeping it together in that interniew

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭yer man!

Talked to a Ryanair pilot earlier, he told me they're bringing in allocated seating because they have been losing time on the turn arounds with people trying to decide on seats once on the plane. They will still offer certain seats on the flight at a higher cost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

yer man! wrote: »
    Talked to a Ryanair pilot earlier, he told me they're bringing in allocated seating because they have been losing time on the turn arounds with people trying to decide on seats once on the plane. They will still offer certain seats on the flight at a higher cost.

But sure that has been happening for years! It hasn't suddenly changed. Perhaps the partial introduction of allocated seating slowed it down and a full roll out will reduce it again.
    They have brought it in because that's what the majority of customers wanted as well as how this may generate even more ancillary revenue for them. People would now be more likely to pay to reserve a seat instead of having a middle seat assigned to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 kelso00

new website launched this morning...looks much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

kelso00 wrote: »
    new website launched this morning...looks much better.
    christ thats some improvement

they have gone from an unbelievable dodgy looking website which looks like something a scammer in Nigeria has put together to create a front for a small time identity theft operation, to a website that actually somewhat approaches being representive of a company which has 4.3 shaggin billion euro yearly turnover.

hats off, toning down the stubbornness and gobsh1tery is paying off.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

If Ryanair continue like this, Aer Lingus will be worried.

bk wrote: »
    If Ryanair continue like this, Aer Lingus will be worried.
    flip.

Ryanair now trying to be business friendly with flexi fares AND family friendly with some package for cheaper kids seats and bags according to comments from MOL today in the indo:
    http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/ryanair-to-target-businesses-families-with-flexible-fares-29756355.html

em,
    I am stunned, especially the family friendly bit which goes against everything Ryanair stood for.
    i.e. its the customers fault for having kids, which cannot carry hand luggage but still need baby equipment, bottles changes of clothes for when they sh1t/ puke themselves - so cough up the cash for the priority queue (which still is a pain with kids) and stupidly expensive checkin bags.

The THOUGHT that folks like me will just then decide to operate an "any airline but Ryanair" policy or just take the ferry just never seemed to come into it.
    Its not snobbery to blacklist Ryanair if you have kids. It (till now) was just a matter of making a rational practical decision that travelling with an airline that doesnt want your business might work out best for all parties concerned.

again. I am stunned.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,261 ✭✭✭markpb

Its not snobbery to blacklist Ryanair if you have kids. It (till now) was just a matter of making a rational practical decision that travelling with an airline that doesnt want your business might work out best for all parties concerned.

We've traveled with our baby several times with Ryanair (to London at 3 months old, to Barcelona at 6 months and Venice at 15 months) and never had any problems. Yes, we bought priority boarding because it makes life easier but the staff were always helpful and they accommodated us even though our carry on bag was clearly bigger than it should be.

markpb wrote: »
    We've traveled with our baby several times with Ryanair (to London at 3 months old, to Barcelona at 6 months and Venice at 15 months) and never had any problems. Yes, we bought priority boarding because it makes life easier but the staff were always helpful and they accommodated us even though our carry on bag was clearly bigger than it should be.
    with 1 kid its not too stressful as you simply need 2 adjoing seats anywhere on the plane as even dad is not essential to the operation.
    But with 2+ young kids you are not doubling the problem you are increasing it exponentially as you NEED to be grouped together in order to have the kids with the parents and both parents near each other to pass over and back snacks (and bribes) for the kids, and priority boarding doesnt guarantee you that. Not to mention small kids may "need to be near mammy" or they may just bawl and scream the place down.
    Priority boarding gives a good likelyhood of being near each other, but sorry a good likelyhood is not a good enough basis to be getting on a plane for almost 3 hours to put yourself in a situation where you are possibly running up and down a plane to fetch or pass supplies to each other.

Grand, you could pay for allocated seating in the past months if you have a larger travelling group which needs to stay together BUT taking our situatuion when its 4 x €10 there, and 4 x €10 back, and then a single checked in bag for 30 odd euro each way, thats a penalty of €140euro on top of the fares because you want to travel in a less than paniced state with your family.
    But, isnt the point of flying Ryanair and taking whatever rules and pain that come with it so you get a good price?

If you are paying so much to avoid a screaming match and hassle that you could fly on an airline like aerlingus, well, your obvious choice is to do exactly that!
    And every such decision costs Ryanair 3 or 4 or 5 (etc) full fares which all in one fell swoop decide not to fly with them.

Priority boarding gives a good likelyhood of being near each other, but sorry a good likelyhood is not a good enough basis to be getting on a plane for almost 3 hours to put yourself in a situation where you are possibly running up and down a plane to fetch or pass supplies to each other.
    Surely that is no different to AL. Waiting for 30 hours beforehand to check in and take the seats left is generally fine, but cannot guarantee everyone sits together. You need to pay for this with AL as well.

One thing Ryanair have always done is to seat the entire group of a disabled person together, at no cost. You have to sit down the back of the plane but seats are reserved together, at no cost. I was very (pleasantly) surprised to find this out a few years ago (even though I had bought priority boarding for all of us).

Peppa Pig wrote: »
    Surely that is no different to AL. Waiting for 30 hours beforehand to check in and take the seats left is generally fine, but cannot guarantee everyone sits together. You need to pay for this with AL as well.

One thing Ryanair have always done is to seat the entire group of a disabled person together, at no cost. You have to sit down the back of the plane but seats are reserved together, at no cost. I was very (pleasantly) surprised to find this out a few years ago (even though I had bought priority boarding for all of us).
    any time we have flown aer lingus they have seated us together for free, often in the first 6 rows. Even in peak summer and christmas periods.
    When my wife was flying with our first child, they seated her at the front (for no cost) and blocked the other 2 seats on the system so nobody else would end up beside her.
    This experience was good enough that she actually travelled with both our kids on her own a couple of times (i.e. 2 return flights) with aer lingus and found it fairly hassle free.

But, to be breast feeding one child, and to queue, and to lug hand luggage, and mind a second child in that hour long queue, on your own, leaving aside that child 2 may need to leave the queue and go for a pee, if they havent already done one on the floor - which Ryanair expects you to be able to do as if by magic because "children are no different a passenger than any other" is just bollicks.

Children ARE different, and traveling with them is different, which is why they are coming in with options to make flying with them a workable proposition.

any time we have flown aer lingus they have seated us together for free, often in the first 6 rows. Even in peak summer and christmas periods.
    Same here, but it cannot be guaranteed unless you pay when booking.

• Advertisement

Excellent new website - dramatically reduces the amount of clicks and unnecessary distractions leading direct to purchase.

Just one annoyance - they still put 'Do not require Insurance' under Denmark instead of as a separate box. I guess some things will never change.

In fact, it now makes the Aer Lingus website look weaker.

Same here, but it cannot be guaranteed unless you pay when booking.
    indeed, but even if you left it till the 30 hours before or even checking in at the desk, you have a fairly high chance of getting seats somewhat near each other regardless of where it is.
    And either way, theres no scrum or queue and you can let the kids play away, or go to the toilet, or breast feed them or whatever without needing to think about a queue, let alone be queuing in one. And you arent tricking about on the plane looking for a seat and leaving it to chance if you are remotely near each other.

see, Ryanairs strategy before now was to get a family to pay all the extras, and still what you get is messy.
    Well, that works to a point in increasing revenue by a certain amount, but a passenger who decides NOT TO FLY WITH RYANAIR in the first place isnt benefiting the company and whatever increased revenue you get from making it slightly less annoying to fly with a family is small compared to 4 or 5 full peak time fares that you would get from every family who decide not to fly with you at all.

Anyhow, I'll be driving the 1200odd km at christmas to Cherbourg to get the ferry to Rosslare and will enjoy the stress free, abeit long, journey with no limit to my luggage in the rather spacious boot of our focus estate car.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭RichieO

Excellent new website - dramatically reduces the amount of clicks and unnecessary distractions leading direct to purchase.

Just one annoyance - they still put 'Do not require Insurance' under Denmark instead of as a separate box. I guess some things will never change.

In fact, it now makes the Aer Lingus website look weaker.

I agree entirely, I have annual travel insurance and there is no allowance for this, very annoying, having them try to make you feel guilty for having no insurance..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

Little improvements in the Ryanair pr machine can't fix this though:

http://ryanairdontcarecrew.blogspot.ie/2011/06/paul-ridgard-rip-ryanair-first.html?m=1

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Looks like Ryanair are looking at revising their avoidance of Main Airports as part of their new strategy! Its rumored an Amsterdam base is in the works! http://cabincrew.aviationjobs.me/2013/11/cabin-crew-ryanair-amsterdam-netherlands.html
    DUB is a very likely route with ORK and even SNN possible in the future !
    EI wont like this! They have had AMS to them selves for a long time!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Little improvements in the Ryanair pr machine can't fix this though:

http://ryanairdontcarecrew.blogspot.ie/2011/06/paul-ridgard-rip-ryanair-first.html?m=1

Yes i wonder will ryanair reconsider its treatment of staff? Somehow i doubt it!! But one can hope! There are allot of airlines out there who make a nice profit and at the same time manage to treat their staff with decent TandC's and pay! :eek::eek: Shock horror

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

AL don't allow you to even check yourself in if you have an infant on your lap. They assign seats for you all sitting together.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭ProfessorPlum

Aer Lingus policy is to sit families with young children together. You do not have to pay extra for the 'service'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

Didn't realise they had updated the web page. Was expecting the flashing and the yellow. Logged on literally roared WTF. Had to double check it wasn't a fraud website(although that can be interpreted differently) I must say I do like it, looks quiet professional now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

Wish they would reduce the cost of travelling with sporting equipment.

I quite often fly to the UK with golf clubs and they charge £100 to bring your clubs alone then put £50-£80 of your return ticket on top. I can fly with Cityjet for £90 and British Airways or £80 return and you can bring a bag or sporting equipment such as golf clubs for free.

I know they won't stop charging for them but at least lower the price to £25 or £30 a bit a little more competitive with BA and/or Cityjet.

Advertisement