Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OBDII Bluetooth Car Diagnostic - €6.40 DX.com

Options
  • 13-11-2013 2:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Blue Crystal

Handy device, need a smartphone and an app such as Torque to use it

To get it at this price use code "TOPSALES" when checking out

Bluetooth Car Diagnostic

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭BillJ

Why does it say cable in the item title "BDII Bluetooth Car Diagnostic Cable - Black + Blue + Orange (DC 12V)"

Is a cable different to a dongle? I'm just a bit confused. It's a dongle in the pics

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

I wouldn't chance it ....

Would be afraid I'd plug it in and the car doesn't start anymore :pac:

I wouldn't chance it ....

Would be afraid I'd plug it in and the car doesn't start anymore :pac:

Sarcasm or no? Think i'll order it's only 6.50!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Any free android app or Windows program that I could use with this to clear fault lights, reset service lights etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭brevity

Forgive my ignorance but where would put this? Is there a port or something that I'm not aware of ?

• Advertisement

brevity wrote: »
    Forgive my ignorance but where would put this? Is there a port or something that I'm not aware of ?

Usually above the pedals somewhere. You wouldn't see it unless you went looking for it.

Normally a port somewhere around the dash, glovebox maybe or sround steering wheel

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

My last two DX orders took a month to arrive. Just FYI.

Just ordered it, grand total of 6.58. Had been meaning to get one for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

usually under the steering wheel somewhere. I recommend using this with the torque android app.

• Advertisement

is there an iOS app compatible with these?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Bloody excellent price for this just ordered one too!

BillJ wrote: »
    is there an iOS app compatible with these?

Dash command and engine link but these are not as feature rich as torque.

zarquon wrote: »
    Dash command and engine link but these are not as feature rich as torque.

Doss torque let you turn off service lights etc? Or just show the errors?

TheTechGuy wrote: »
    Doss torque let you turn off service lights etc? Or just show the errors?

Torque allows you to clear codes and reset oil and service lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

That's an ELM 327. Proper bit of kit, that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭brevity

Ok so I've picked up one.

Must get Torque installed on my Touchpad now.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Ok so I've picked up one.

Must get Torque installed on my Touchpad now.

Me too. I have a hand-held cable scanner already and currently no way of running Torque, but for that money I'm not passing it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,029 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

They can be bought a tiny bit cheaper from ebay

e.g. this one for €6.01

Just for stuff like this off dx or somewhere similar, I nearly always find ebay cheaper

I threw together a quick webpage for searching quickly Try it your self here:
    http://checkargos.com/ebay/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

Just ordered one too - cheers OP.

• Advertisement

Always handy to have in the man drawer! Thanks op!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

I've one of these already, paid around €10 at the time a few years back.
    I also paid for the full version of the Torque app (only €3.55 and well worth getting)

If you have trouble getting a consistent bluetooth connection with your Android phone then try this in the Torque App

Go to Settings --> OBD2 Adapter Settings and enable the "Disable ELM327 auto timing" setting.

You can get it to log the telemetry of your engine over trips, eg. O2 mixture or the like (I'm not a mechanic), also you can log your trips via the GPS in your phone coloured plotted by average speed.

Other nice things I don't use.... you can configure a load of dials on your Torque app, like rev counter etc... then get Torque to display the mirror image of the screen. That lets you put your phone on the dashboard and see it's reflection in the windscreen the right way around like a heads-up-display.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13746_7-57465455-48/monitor-your-cars-performance-with-the-torque-app-for-android/

I've run the Torque app against my 2007 Honda Civic and it detected a low pressure sensor reading in the air conditioning ( l knew there was a leak anyway ), but good to see it was picked up.

One thing I don't do... I don't leave the OBD II device permanently connected to the diagnostics port in my car, just in case it's still drawing a tiny amount of power when the engine if off and "might" drain the battery.

It's a good nerdy toy, although in fairness I rarely use it because my car is reliable !

• Registered Users Posts: 65,099 ✭✭✭✭unkel

My last two DX orders took a month to arrive. Just FYI.

The 3-5 week wait on the snail mail from China is one thing

My last DX order was for a micro keyboard and it was dead on arrival. They eventually did replace it and fully refunded my return shipping cost. But it took another 2+ months and a lot of emails.

Complete waste of my time. No more DX for me. I'd rather pay the €1 more and buy on Amazon, knowing that if something is wrong, their returns process is the most hassle free in the world (and won't cost you a cent)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

unkel wrote: »
    No more DX for me. I'd rather pay the €1 more and buy on Amazon, knowing that if something is wrong, their returns process is the most hassle free in the world (and won't cost you a cent)

+1

I've bought literally hundreds of Euro of stuff from DX in the past, but my last order was delayed by 20 days (processing not even shipping), then one of the LED bulbs died within days, and no reply from customer service. I'll only use them as the supplier of last resort now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Blue Crystal

unkel wrote: »
    The 3-5 week wait on the snail mail from China is one thing

My last DX order was for a micro keyboard and it was dead on arrival. They eventually did replace it and fully refunded my return shipping cost. But it took another 2+ months and a lot of emails.

Complete waste of my time. No more DX for me. I'd rather pay the €1 more and buy on Amazon, knowing that if something is wrong, their returns process is the most hassle free in the world (and won't cost you a cent)

Just €1 more? I challenge you to find an item you can get on amazon shipped to Ireland that is only €1 more than its dx counterpart...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Pique

zarquon wrote: »
    Torque allows you to clear codes and reset oil and service lights.

Not on all cars!
    Service lights can be a pain to clear on some cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭lau1247

Boom, done! Thanks OP!

Was looking at it for some time, don't really mind the wait as long as it works when it gets here. It is certainly much cheaper than the guys selling it on adverts.ie

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

If you search for your make and model and 'obd port location' on google you'll find it. There are also databases of locations:
    http://www.outilsobdfacile.com/location-plug-connector-obd.php

Torque also has some advanced plugins: http://torque-bhp.com/wiki/Plugins

If you have a fiat/alfa or lancis i can recommend alfaobd on the play store too.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,099 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Just €1 more? I challenge you to find an item you can get on amazon shipped to Ireland that is only €1 more than its dx counterpart...

I've spent less than a minute researching this. No doubt someone can come up with a better example. This is £9 plus £3.99 UK shipping + €3.50 parcel motel (if we're going to be anal), so about €20 (straight from China too :D). I actually saw one from Amazon recently for £13.99 including free shipping (super saver) but couldn't find it within my one minute search

I paid €22 from DX for the exact same thing. Which was dead on arrival. So Amazon was actually cheaper in this case

QED ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭m4r10

Can also vouch for torque addon, well worth the money, although it won't reset the service light on my Volvo, had to do it manually.
    At that price I might order another one just to have it as a back-up.

PS. Found a mini one on ebay for about €7 if space is at a premium in the car. Some people have reported regularly hitting the device with the knee, so the mini one will stay flush-er (not sure it it's a word :confused:)
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Super-Mini-ELM327-V1-5-Bluetooth-OBD2-OBD-II-Car-Auto-Diagnostic-Scanner-Tool-K-/190847330365?pt=UK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Other_Vehicle_Parts_Accessories_ET&hash=item2c6f63283d

Advertisement