Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MY baby bitten on the head by friends dog.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭fredweena

No dog, however loved, should get a second chance when it comes to young children. If your friend can rehome the dog she has a responsibility to inform everyone of this instance. We rehomed a terrier once that had bitten but he went to a man who used him for hunting and everyone was happy. Dogs are great but children are more important. I feel sorry for both of you in this situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Its funny reading the comments here from its an owners problem not a dog problem to sueing. The dog has shown aggressive behaviour in biting a defenceless child. It needs to be removedfrom contact with all younh kids kids . In Reality this is not possible. The dog I would think needs to be put down. Failing that maybe the people calling for leaving the dog alone would like to offer their two year olds so the dog can be " trained" how to behave

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

fredweena wrote: »
    If your friend can rehome the dog she has a responsibility to inform everyone of this instance.

This is very, very important. In fact, it is possible that if an owner rehomed a dog who they know has bitten, but did not inform the new owner and the dog bit again, the original owner could be held liable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

Hi all.it would brake my heart of the dog was to be put down.my daughter didn't hit it or pull it.honestly I think the only reason it did t break the skin was because my friend was so quick and my baby was right beside us.her dog seemed to bark at first when we got there but that's because he didn't know us.she does have kids three,the youngest is twelve.
    I would hate to loose her as a friend and will never go into her house if the dog is there.i do think there could be options .if she put the dog into a room she. Visitors called but would that really be an option.
    I think my daughter was very lucky today.
    I ,at first thought yes it's like an unspoken rule once a dog bites ESP a child then it had to be put down.i did think this would be the outcome.
    I'm glad I posted now .ill talk to her and maybe make sure he has never bitten before. Anyone not just a child.hopefully it was a once off.im torn I'm writing this and then read the headlines about the other little girl.im such a dope for taking a chance for letting her off my knee.
    I am now afraid of dogs.and I have one.
    I just hope my friend makes the right choice in a very difficult decision.but I think deep Down I could never live with myself if her family lost their dog because of a situation I helped make .my daughter definitely didn't pull the dog.
    Our dog is used to her .she would call him and pet him and somedays hug him.hes part of our family and I'd hate to have to have him put to sleep .
    Really what I was hoping for as a reply is Dont worry Cathy maybe it was a once off.the Reply that if he wanted to break the skin he would off is scary.honestly I think it's because we where quick.
    Anyway thanks everyone for the advice.im going to txt my friend and hope shes ok .my little girl is bruised ,she has a mark on her cheek but I thi k its more from the bang when her face was on the ground.shes telling people
    "Bold wow wow teeth " so she is talking about it.cuddles helped as did sweets.
    Thanks all.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭TheBoffin

cathy01 wrote: »
    Hi all.it would brake my heart of the dog was to be put down.my daughter didn't hit it or pull it.honestly I think the only reason it did t break the skin was because my friend was so quick and my baby was right beside us.her dog seemed to bark at first when we got there but that's because he didn't know us.she does have kids three,the youngest is twelve.
    I would hate to loose her as a friend and will never go into her house if the dog is there.i do think there could be options .if she put the dog into a room she. Visitors called but would that really be an option.
    I ,at first thought yes it's like an unspoken rule once a dog bites ESP a child then it had to be put down.i did think this would be the outcome.
    I'm glad I posted now .ill talk to her and maybe make sure he has never bitten before. Anyone not just a child.hopefully it was a once off.im torn I'm writing this and then read the headlines about the other little girl.im such a dope for taking a chance for letting her off my knee.
    I just hope my friend makes the right choice in a very difficult decision.but I think deep Down I could never live with myself if her family lost their dog because of a situation I helped make .my daughter definitely didn't pull the dog.
    Our dog is used to her .she would call him and pet him and somedays hug him.hes part of our family and I'd hate to have to have him put to sleep .
    Really what I was hoping for as a reply is Dont worry Cathy maybe it was a once off.the Reply that if he wanted to break the skin he would off is scary.honestly I think it's because we where quick.
    Anyway thanks everyone for the advice.im going to txt my friend and hope shes ok .my little girl is bruised ,she has a mark on her cheek but I thi k its more from the bang when her face was on the ground.shes telling people
    Thanks all.

I think your response is a rational one. Glad to see it end well.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

Its funny reading the comments here from its an owners problem not a dog problem to sueing. The dog has shown aggressive behaviour in biting a defenceless child. It needs to be removedfrom contact with all younh kids kids . In Reality this is not possible. The dog I would think needs to be put down. Failing that maybe thee dog alone would like to offer their two year olds so the dog can be " trained" how to behave

Maybe the people with 2 year kids and calling for a reprieve of the dogs life have more common sense than to leave a child on the ground with a strange dog, for instance would u leave the child in a stable with a horse and then ask for the horse to be put down if said horse kicked the child, that's an extreme scenario, but let's get real. Putting a dog down because of human incompetence is also extreme

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭stezie

If the dog intended to, it would pierce the skin in an instant.

If you see a pup playing with an older dog, the older dog would try to teech the pup manners with a nip, and the pup might yelp. This may of happened here.

your friends dog is it around kids all the time?

My friend has two young kids (6month and 2 year) and a labrador. My labrador doesnt have kids about, so I wont let my labrador play with his kids, even though them kids are well used to dogs. I would be scared that my dog would be excited by these "little people" and may nip their fingers or soft bit of skin, by accident.

If the dog was agitated and aggressive, then yes id put it down.

If the dog over stepped the mark and played rough, id put it down to lesson learned, leave the dog be and never leave your kid down beside a strange dog again.

Common sense is needed around dogs, they arent humans and dont think like humans either.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭dubbie82

I don't really agree that the dog needs to be put down just like that. We don't know the whole story, we don't know what breed the dog is, was this a first that he went after a child, is he even used to children etc.
    Just like DBB a few post earlier I am just trying to give you some context here. The OP didn't see what happend, maybe the child unintentionally provoked the dog, pulled his tail or poked his eye? These things happen fast and a dog will defend himselfthe only way he can and that is with his teeth.
    We used to have a dog but were all teenages when we got him. He didn't like sall children, simply because he wasn't used to them. When my little nephew was born he got used to him and probably would have defended the boy with his life but again the boy was thought to respect the dog in return and they got used to each other.
    I remember one particular incident when the dog snapped a neighbours kid when she was small, turns out that she tried to take away his bone and he snapped at her hand and bit her but never broke the skin.
    So maybe the OP and the Dog's owner needs to have a chat with the Vet or someone who has a better knowledge of that particular dog before making a decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

There is a difference between a twelve year old and a two year old. Toddlers make involuntary movements, anything from lifting her hands up to moving her legs could have spooked the dog. A twelve year old, while still a child, is much more adult like in their movements and voice. Has the dog grown up with the children or is it a new addition to the household?

You shouldn't be afraid of dogs, but you should always supervise any interaction. Also read up on dog body language and the signals that a dog gives out. So much can be learned from the way they hold their head/ears/tail, their eyes too.

As I've said, any little bit of movement could have spooked the dog, particularly as he's not used to children this small. She wouldn't have had to pull him to spook him [/QUOTE]

And you should always supervise any interaction with your dog and child. And again, read up on body language, it can be invaluable knowledge.
    Thanks all.

Great that she's ok and not permanently damaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

Thanks all.

That's the first sign right there I have a lab whos the sweetest thing in the world but id still never leave him alone with my 3 year old cousin for a second. Never trust a dog that does not live with a kid is what I say

glad to hear your baby is fine

im just curious to know what kind of dog has your friend got anyways?
    if you already said somewhere in thread sorry i missed it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Thanks all.

You shouldn't be scared by someone telling you that if the dog had wanted to break the skin it would have, it's a good indication that the dog wasn't actually aggressive. If the dog really had had vicious intent it would have broken the skin, regardless of how quick you'd have been either your child's or your friends when interferring.

And with regards to your daughter not having pulled the dog unfortunately it's not that simple, 2 yr olds aren't great at reading doggy body language (neither are a lot of adults) and there may well have been warning signals before.

The dog may just have want to be left alone, could the dog get away from the child? If they were under the table maybe it felt cornered. Is it an older dog? etc. etc. etc.

Really, regardless of what people here think they know there's nobody here on the thread that can make any statements on whether or not that dog is fit to be around people or needs to be pts without seeing the dog and observing its behaviour in various situation.

In my experience, sadly, in these scenario's the main thing that stops a dog like this from being fully rehabilitated and living a happy life in it's home is the owners having lost trust in the dog. (understandably)

So rehoming could be a very viable option but like people already pointed out it would need to be done well, dog assessed and home assessed.

I hope your little one is okay, I'd imagine she will be, kids are great like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Tea Tree

similar happened with my child and my mothers dog a few years back. I'll never forget that snarl and snap sound:(. I turned expecting to see blood gushing but there was just a little mark above his eye. With the benefit of hindsight and having learned more about dogs since I now know that all the warning signs were there but I just didnt see them or recognise them. The child naturally stayed away from the dog after that and the dog didnt want to be near him anyway. after that on the rare occasions that any little visitors were at the house the dog was put out in her shed. no problems. she was happier away from the chaos anyway.

My own dog is put into her bed in the utility room if there are any visitors with small kids as she is over exuberant and could easily knock over and frighten a child. I also dont trust her 100% for various reasons though she's never bitten anyone in her time with us. It's not a problem for her to be kept out of the room for a while. If it's going to be a long time one of us will take her out for a little walk at some point but I'd rather not risk having anyone hurt.
    I would think your friend would be happy to do likewise.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

First off I hope your little one is okay and doesnt develope a fear of dogs because of this.

Now with that said and it may have already been said in the thread already as I have not read past to OP right now responsibility has to be taken on both sides.

You mention that the dog did not break the skin? Sounds like the dog was being defensive rather then aggressive. If the dog wanted ot it could of broken the skin very easily. This leads me to believe that the dog may have felt intimidated or confused.

With that I would not simply have the dog PTS. I Would 100% recommend the dog be better socialized though and have a behaviorist take a look into it.

Your share of the blame comes from having your child on the floor in the same room as a dog. No matter how well you know the dog you should never let your child around one as young as yours was.

Again I hope your child is okay.

Again I have not read the entire thread so sorry if anything here was mentioned already or some of the information contradicts further information posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

'The dog has to be put down'

Such an Irish reaction.

- was the dog socvialised from a young age ?
    - has the dog been brought to the vet for a health check ?
    - what was the baby doing on the floor with the dog ?
    - is the dog walked on a daily basis
    - does the owner interact with the dog on a daily basis

Dogs don't bite for no reason.

Glad to hear the baby is fine but the dog doesn't have to die at least not before being assessed by a REPUTABLE behaviourist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

It must have been a terrifying experience for all who were involved. However, I don't understand the lynch mob mentality of some people insisting on killing the dog. There are other avenues to be explored, such as a dog behaviourist, before considering killing the dog. Make no mistake, it is killing the dog, not putting it to sleep.

It must be an awful predicament for both the OP and the dogs owner to be in and what's needed is cool heads and constructive action, not knee jerk hysteria from people who weren't present at the time. I'm so glad that the OP's child wasn't seriously injured, I realise that it could have been far more serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

Again thanks for the replies.
    I'm not going to say the breed .because I think it doesn't really matter.
    A dog is a dog is a dog.
    He is their family pet.i don't know how long she has him.i can't say it more strongly honestly my daughter was sitting next to my foot really close to me.i agree I shouldn't have taken her word for it that he's ok.i took a chance I never should off .it is a mistake I made and she nearly paid dearly for it.i will never ever let her near a dog again no matter how well behaved he is for its owner.she was supervised within arms reach with a dog I was told was ok and friendly.
    Thanks ill let yous know what she chooses to do but all the advice has help.
    Ps I would never ever ever think of sueing.
    She's a friend ,I am my daughters mam .it was my job and is my job to look out for her .if anyone should sue its my little girl.i would gladly hand over every penny I have . It would still be a small price for a big lesson learnt .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Good on you, depending on what breed it is it could just cause more hysteria.

Good luck with everything

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

My question here is why was a child on the floor with a dog where you or the owner didnt know how he would react to it.

If the dog had not been socialised with kids it should have been kept separate from the child while she was in the house. End of story. Getting the dog destroyed is not the answer and is taking the easy way out. The dog is like that because it has never been taught any different and hot to react in such circumstances. Instinct simply took over.

The dog was comfortable in that situation, owner didnt recognise the warning signs, dog acted out protecting itself. Had the dog been aggressive your child would have far more injuries than she has. Ive been around dogs all my life and you learn to read a dog by its reactions. If your in any doubt whether it was being aggressive or not then it wasnt. You will know for sure if its being aggressive if it had been

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Cocolola

Hi OP.

Sorry about what happened, glad your little one is ok though. As has been said before, this was just the dog's way of warning her to back off without wanting to cause any harm. I know you said your daughter didn't do anything to the dog but it may still have been showing signs of stress and anxiety that can be hard to read if you don't know what they are. This pic I found very helpful for my niece and her parents once she started interacting with our dogs at home.

C--Users-Melissa-Desktop-fearposterpic-resized-600.JPG

I hope you both can get past this in time and that it doesn't have a lasting effect on how you see dogs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32 trades101

It's not fair that whenever a dog bites someone they get put down. If you bit someone would you get put down.
    If your daughter bit the dog would your daughter be put down ?
    Of course not.
    In future the dog should be put in a room when visiting bit he should not be put down.

• Advertisement

I think I saw a poster kicking around on facebook similar to the above but focused on a childs actions around dogs... what to teach your child not to do e.g. staring straight into a dogs face close up/ hugging an unknown dog etc.

Does anyone know that one? Quite useful I think as often people don't know what can be a potential trigger with some dogs.

Hi again op,
    I just wanted to say good on you for taking all opinions, good and bad, on the chin... Not everyone would take criticism of the mistakes they made as well as you have.
    But don't beat yourself up over it. A mistake was made on both sides, but you got away with it, and have learned a lesson. How many people can say they haven't made a booboo that they were lucky to get away with?
    It sounds like your little girl isn't too worried, but try your best not to over-react and pass your worries onto her... Fear of something that's everywhere must be very debilitating!
    I will say to you that many, indeed I'd nearly say most dogs have reservations about toddlers. They may be fine with infants, and fine with older kids, but toddlers are like a different species altogether, the way they move, and sound, and are oblivious to the discomfort they're causing to a nearby dog, and many dogs find it really difficult to tolerate them.
    You say that your wee girl hugs your dog.... This is not a good habit to allow your little girl to get into: hugging is a seriously intrusive thing to do to a dog (unless the dog knows you really well), and is a scenario where the mildest dog will get agitated. In addition, if your daughter does it to your dog, who might be a patient saint, then in her mind she's okay to do it to all dogs. As you have found out, this is not the case!
    I'd suggest you take some time to read up on Dr. Sophia Yin's writings about dogs and kids, she's one of the world's leading behaviourists in matters of kids and dogs (cocolola has linked to one of Yin's graphics).
    Good luck op, keep the chin up!

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ferretone

Tea Tree wrote: »
    I think I saw a poster kicking around on facebook similar to the above but focused on a childs actions around dogs... what to teach your child not to do e.g. staring straight into a dogs face close up/ hugging an unknown dog etc.

Does anyone know that one? Quite useful I think as often people don't know what can be a potential trigger with some dogs.

Young Persons' Guide to Woofs and Growls

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23 kensiemac

My little girl is two.I was visiting a friend today and my daughter was playing on the floor RIGHT beside my foot.My friends dog was there.My friends had been given it a cuddle, the dog was givent he paw and sit.My daughter gave him a rub.I looked up ,heard a noise, looked down and the dog just went for her.
    She fell forward , the dog had its teeth in her heard.He was making a snarling noise.He seemed to be trying to get to her face or something.Its like he didn't want to bite her head.Does that even make sence.
    My friend pushed the dog off her and I lifted her up.MY GOD, I cant even begin to tell you how scared I was.
    She is ok, she has a bruise/Bite mark on her head. It didn't brake the skin.

I was crying, she was crying, my friend was crying.
    My friend looked at me and said, I'm going to have to get him put down.
    I don't know what to say, I think yes, the way the dog turned, and no she didn't pull him or slap him, she just sat beside me , on my foot nearly.
    My heart is broke for my friend, but at the same time, my little girl was so lucky.
    If I had been 2 seconds away from her God only knows.
    I wont sleep tonight,I just keep seeing the image over and over.
    I know the dog has never done this before.
    Any thoughts. Please be nice, its not something me or my friend want.I know she feels terrible. She is as upset as I am, but I'm worried, he could turn again. She has young kids.
    Thanks

Terrible story, but a dog should not be near a two year old.
    As to being put down - absolutely no way, why should dog pay for your mistake. At worst he should be re-homed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32 trades101

kensiemac wrote: »
    Terrible story, but a dog should not be near a two year old.
    As to being put down - absolutely no way, why should dog pay for your mistake. At worst he should be re-homed.

Why move the dog out of a home it loves because of the OPS Mistake to leave a 2 year old with a dog

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Again thanks for the replies.
    A dog is a dog is a dog.

I can't commend you enough for saying this and not stating what the breed is. The breed does not matter.
    wrote:
    She's a friend ,I am my daughters mam .it was my job and is my job to look out for her .if anyone should sue its my little girl.i would gladly hand over every penny I have . It would still be a small price for a big lesson learnt .

What an excellent and well rounded response cathy, considering it was your own child involved and not being influenced by the mixed replies so far. There's not many who would think like yourself, so I am beyond impressed with you being able to tell the difference between instant judgement and reasoned accountability, on both yours and your friends behalf. Well done.
    Cocolola wrote: »
    This pic I found very helpful for my niece and her parents once she started interacting with our dogs at home.

C--Users-Melissa-Desktop-fearposterpic-resized-600.JPG

I hope you both can get past this in time and that it doesn't have a lasting effect on how you see dogs.

+1

A poster that should be widely used and available in Schools nationwide.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

I have a toddler (turns 3 at Christmas)
    She has zero dog sense despite my best efforts to teach her :rolleyes:
    We live in a cat house no doggies here (yet)
    But the in laws have JRT's my parents have a JRT and I have friends with Rotties, Labs and Collies
    I would never ever ever let her interact with a dog without 110% supervision
    Sorry OP IMHO this is as much your fault as anyone's and I certainly wouldn't be looking for the dog to be PTS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I was bitten numerous times as a small child, nothing major, nothing that ever broke the skin, just warning snaps, I loved animals especially dogs but was neve taught how to behave around them and wanted to pet and hug and love on every one I saw. every parent should know the warning signs of an uncomfortable dog, every child should be taught how to behave around them.

I was again attacked as a teen by a dog I was minding, that was a completely differnt story, he grabbed me by the arm and broke the skin, that was a completely different situation of a (very) large dog who had not been socialised properly.

I have to commend you OP, a lot of parents would have been screaming that the dog was dangerous and had to be put down. You had the good sense to look at the situation as a whole. There is a woman in the UK who's child was killed by a dog, now honestly my heart goes out to her, I couldn't imagine how difficult it is for her but she wants legislation to be put in place that all dogs have to be muzzled around children under 12. Now I'm sorry but that's only going to cause more problems as the dog is going to eventually figure out that every time a child comes around they have to have a contraption put on their face that they don't like. They are going to think of children negatively.

I am very careful with my own dog around children, a friend of mines kid is like me when I was a child, he wants to hug him and lie on him and is just generally all over him, I have to watch him very carefully to try and teach him that he needs to give him his space, now my dog loves kids and loves to see this fella coming so he can give him a good licking but one day when I was out of the room and my dog was in his crate I think he crowded him and since then when he is in the crate he growls at and is fearful of children, this was my fault for not supervising them properly, me and my friend were in the other room. He also now depsises the crate as he connects it with that incident and has only started using it again in the last few days, that was months a ago! He is perfect outside of it in any other situation, still loves kids and that little boy but it definitely made me more careful, all dogs, even those who adore children like my guy have their limits.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement