Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2012 Cooking Club Week 2b: Indian Resturant curries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    Is it wrong to like the illuminous orange ones? :o

lol Mrs Fox. the illuminous orange ones are gorgeous imho, i just distinguish it like that, no negative connotation or reminiscence of radioactivity intended :)

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭fitzcoff

The standard method uses sugar,coconut powder, curry base, curry masala, pataks tandori paste and pataks tikka paste and cream. im not a fan of this illuminous pink one.

the better resturants use this method.....

Chicken Tikka Masala

Chicken marinade

4 chicken breasts
    2tsp deggi mirch(chili powder)

1tsp mace powder
    1tsp cardamom powder
    10gm ginger paste
    10gm garlic paste
    1tsp lemon juice
    Pinch of salt
    50ml oil

The gravy

150gm butter
    50gm garlic paste
    30gm ginger paste
    Pinch of salt
    1kg tomatoes, pureed or canned plum tomatoes
    200ml chicken stock
    Pinch of salt
    10gm ginger juliennes
    2tsp mace powder
    3tsp cardamom powder
    1tsp ground cumin
    2 green chillies
    1tsp deggi mirch (chili powder)

3tbs fenugreek leaves
    3-4tsp honey
    200ml cream

Add all the chicken marinade ingredients to a bowl and stir until it all blends nicely.
    Cube the chicken and stir it into the marinade. Stir the chicken until its nicely coated and refrigerate for a few hours(if possible).

Melt the butter in a large pot and add the ginger and garlic paste and a pinch of salt. Saute the ginger and garlic for 5 mins stirring occasionally. Stir the tomatoes into the pot. Add the chicken stock and a pinch of salt, simmer the mix for 20mins with the lid on stirring occasionally. Blend the sauce with a hand blender until nice and smooth

Add the dry spices, chillies, ginger juliennes and fenugreek leaves. Simmer the mix for 15mins with the lid on stirring occasionally.

Pour the chicken mix onto a baking tray, spread out the pieces and cook in a preheated oven at 160 degrees for 15-20mins.

Add the honey 1tsp at a time to the sauce, stir in and taste to get your preferred balance of sweetness after each spoon. Add the cream and the chicken and stir in. Simmer the mix for 10mins with the lid on stirring occasionally.

This is the recipe I was asking about the garlis paste and the ginger paste as there are seperate quanities for both the garlic and the ginger

yes they are seperate.

ill post up the other version of tikka masala tomorrow

Chicken tikka Masala (the illuminous version) note, this is a simplified version.

2tbs oil
    2tbs tomato paste
    1tsp fenugreek/methi leaves
    a pinch of chilli powder
    300ml curry base
    2tbs coconut block/coconut flour
    1tbs ground almond
    1tbs sugar
    2tbs yogurt
    precooked chicken/lamb
    a dash of cream
    1tbs coriander leaf

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭earlytobed

Curry Addict, I have trouble finding cardamon powder for the long Tikka Masala recipe. I have both green and black cardamon pods. could i grind either of these to make powder?

• Advertisement

earlytobed wrote: »
    Curry Addict, I have trouble finding cardamon powder for the long Tikka Masala recipe. I have both green and black cardamon pods. could i grind either of these to make powder?

Yes just remove the green cardamom seeds from the husk and crush them to make a powder. I find one bash of a mortal and pestle opens the husk nicely.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

Hi Curryaddict, have you tried cooking the base in the slow cooker for the first part of the process.

Need to make a new batch but don't have time to do on gas!

angeldaisy wrote: »
    Hi Curryaddict, have you tried cooking the base in the slow cooker for the first part of the process.

Need to make a new batch but don't have time to do on gas!

i haven't tried it but i can imagine it would work great. slow cooking the onions should bring out the best in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Hi Curryaddict.

By any chance, would you have a good Biriyani recipe please?

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Hi Curryaddict.

By any chance, would you have a good Biriyani recipe please?

i have a killer biryani recipe but i was going to do that in my next cooking club submission as its fairly tricky.

• Advertisement

i have a killer biryani recipe but i was going to do that in my next cooking club submission as its fairly tricky.

I will have my eyes seriously peeled for that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

YUS!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Please request from mods for the first week slot in 2014. Please. Please!

lol ok arm twisted, ill post it up then, i need to write it down anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 scorpio.045

Curry Addict, thank you very much for all the receipes and info on making fab Indian food, cooked from this thread last w/end and my friends and family were thrilled, well done on such precise and detailed information.

lol ok arm twisted, ill post it up then, i need to write it down anyway :)

Fantastic!!!

Curry Addict, thank you very much for all the receipes and info on making fab Indian food, cooked from this thread last w/end and my friends and family were thrilled, well done on such precise and detailed information.

thanks scorpio, glad you enjoyed!

When I was younger I used to think of Biryani as that boring Indian rice dish. A poor unremarkable pesant dish, with no sauce! As the years went on and I tried it in by chance in the middle east and other spots around the world my respect for it grew and grew. Then Medina opened in Mary street here and I enjoyed it there from time to time.
    My wife is a huge Nasi fan and had grown to love the Biryani even more so she demanded I try to make one like I had eaten in the middle east. So I made my first attempt about 3 years ago and it was gloriously good. It became a staple in our home and we enjoy it weekly so it has been tweaked and perfected.
    The basics of it are chicken or lamb cooked in a heavily spiced broth. The rice is then cooked in the broth using the absorption method. The rice absorbs the broth fully during cooking and the meat is added back in. The result is a highly complex flavoured rice dish, showcasing the amazing flavors of the whole spices. Its very delicious and light yet filling and satisfying. It is also very healthy food, cheap and the food staple of Indai. This recipe makes enough for about 4 hungry adults. We usually eat half of it and freeze the rest for the following week. It’s probably my all time favourite to cook and eat.

Biryani
    4 star anise
    4 sticks cinnamon
    4 bay leaves
    10 cloves
    8 green cardamom pods
    4 black cardamom pods
    16 black peppercorns
    1 tsp cumin seeds
    4 dried red chillies medium size
    1tbs ginger/garlic chopped
    1 onion chopped
    1tsp salt
    2 green chillies (medium sized)
    1 pack of chicken thighs (8-12)
    1.5 tbs. curry masala
    3 mugs of water

2 mugs of basmati rice(soaked for 20mins and drained)
    1 small carrot (diced to the size of a grain of rice)
    Salt to taste

method
    Heat a small amount of oil in a large pot.
    Add the whole spices (first section above) and sauté them for 1 minute, stirring a little so they cook evenly and start to release their aromas.
    Add the ginger/garlic, onion, salt, green chillies and sauté for 2 min.
    Add the chicken thighs and brown them off (takes about 5min).
    Add the curry masala, stir it in for about 30secs then add the water.
    Simmer with the lid on for 1.5 hours.
    Remove the chicken onto a large plate with a tongs so you can squeeze the juices into the pot before putting onto the plate. Strip all the nice chicken meat from the thighs onto a separate plate. Discard the bones and skin.
    Pour the contents of the pot through a sieve into a large bowl. Squeeze the juices from the vegetable matter and spices through the sieve using the back of a ladle, discard the vegetable and spice matter.

The critical bit
    The liquid in the bowl needs to be 3 mugs worth so the ratio of liquid to rice is 3:2. So scoop the liquid out with the mug back into the cooking pot and add water if necessary to make up a full 3 mugs worth. Add the finely diced carrot and bring to the boil.
    Add the rice to the pot and bring it to the boil. Once it starts to boil reduce the heat immediately to a minimum, put the lid on the pot and cook for exactly 6 minutes, do not remove the lid during this cooking time. When the 6 minutes is up remove the lid, turn off the heat and stir in the chicken meat. At this stage the contents of the pot may look a little wetter than you would like and the rice will have a little bite to it. Allow the steam to dissipate, stirring occasionally over a 20 minute period. This allows the contents of the pot to dry up nicely and the rice to cook on its retained heat to perfection. Add salt to taste (a tea spoon should be plenty but be careful).

I wish there was some way to thank a post more than once! You're a legend Curryaddict

I am so going to try the biryani this week! Thanks CA and sorry for twisting your arm :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,513 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Jesus tap dancing christ...

It has been stated before, but Curry Addict, you are a legend.

thanks for the kind comments! I hope you guys like it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I've been making a lot of stew-based curries lately - chicken legs, lamb shanks and so on, cooked in a pot in the oven over the course of 1-4 hours (depending on the meat) in whole spices, curry massala, ginger and garlic.

Then I remove the meat, strain the whole spices and veg out of the stock, reduce the stock and incorporate it into the curries from earlier in the thread.

Especially with the lamb shanks you get draw dropping results.

I must try something like a lamb shank biryani now. Nice one again CA.

Gbear wrote: »
    I've been making a lot of stew-based curries lately - chicken legs, lamb shanks and so on, cooked in a pot in the oven over the course of 1-4 hours (depending on the meat) in whole spices, curry massala, ginger and garlic.

Then I remove the meat, strain the whole spices and veg out of the stock, reduce the stock and incorporate it into the curries from earlier in the thread.

Especially with the lamb shanks you get draw dropping results.

I must try something like a lamb shank biryani now. Nice one again CA.

nice idea, some restaurants do add a tbs or 2 of stock to their curries.
    condensed stock will add a nice whack of flavor. Sometimes if a curry goes a little too dry while cooking, i add a little of the juices from the pot i cooked the chicken in to loosen it up. recently though i like my curries light and delicate with a bit of fire.

Im a huge fan of the stew style curries like hill billy's vindaloo. my wife makes a killer "Surinamese curry" which is stew style and our current addiction. its from a small little country above brazil which has a strong indigenous Indian population which has influenced their food down through the generations. Its made with their own style of curry powder and madame ginette chili which is similar to a scotch bonnet or habenero.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

nice idea, some restaurants do add a tbs or 2 of stock to their curries.
    condensed stock will add a nice whack of flavor. Sometimes if a curry goes a little too dry while cooking, i add a little of the juices from the pot i cooked the chicken in to loosen it up. recently though i like my curries light and delicate with a bit of fire.

Im a huge fan of the stew style curries like hill billy's vindaloo. my wife makes a killer "Surinamese curry" which is stew style and our current addiction. its from a small little country above brazil which has a strong indigenous Indian population which has influenced their food down through the generations. Its made with their own style of curry powder and madame ginette chili which is similar to a scotch bonnet or habenero.

One of the ones I made recently I put in one little scotch bonnet or habanero (can't tell them apart) and I put in no other chillies, dried chillies or chilli powder.

Was like a furnace. The chilli gave it a very distinctive flavour. It was delicious.

Loads of left over stock as well, which I froze.

We were going to have just normal roast spuds and chicken tonight but we're out of spuds so I had to improvise.
    I've marinated the whole chicken in a curry paste.
    Is there any carrot, parsnip or other typical sort of veg you get that you can turn into a side dish that'd go with a curry?
    Just chicken and rice is a little lacking.

Gbear wrote: »
    One of the ones I made recently I put in one little scotch bonnet or habanero (can't tell them apart) and I put in no other chillies, dried chillies or chilli powder.

Was like a furnace. The chilli gave it a very distinctive flavour. It was delicious.

Loads of left over stock as well, which I froze.

We were going to have just normal roast spuds and chicken tonight but we're out of spuds so I had to improvise.
    I've marinated the whole chicken in a curry paste.
    Is there any carrot, parsnip or other typical sort of veg you get that you can turn into a side dish that'd go with a curry?
    Just chicken and rice is a little lacking.

a full scotch bonnet or habanero is a lot to add :) i dont use them much but the wife does. she makes bami goreng with pork at least twice a week for many years now, its her quick comfort food. she usually slices the madame jinette/scotch bonnet in half, adds it to the pan and removes it before eating, it gives a nice firey fruity spice. the heat from these peppers varies a lot, she can tell how spicy it is by smelling it after slicing it in half :)

my wife makes a killer "Surinamese curry" which is stew style and our current addiction.

Ehem, ehem! Cough up the recipe! :cool:

Maybe you should open another thread, "2012 Cooking Club Week 2c: Other curries"

I ran out of Basmati last week, with only Thai Fragrant ones left in press. But the other day my FIL gave us six bags of the EU Aid Long Grain Rice. I know Basmati is a must for Biryani, no way Thai Fragrant can be used for it, but would the Long Grain do?

Ehem, ehem! Cough up the recipe! :cool:

Maybe you should open another thread, "2012 Cooking Club Week 2c: Other curries"

maybe a good idea :)
    ill post up that surinamese curry when i learn how to make it!

• Advertisement

I ran out of Basmati last week, with only Thai Fragrant ones left in press. But the other day my FIL gave us six bags of the EU Aid Long Grain Rice. I know Basmati is a must for Biryani, no way Thai Fragrant can be used for it, but would the Long Grain do?

i don't know so much about rice tbh. I do know that different rices absorb different amounts of moisture so it would be a risk using long grain rice. you might be left with a soggy mess!

We have recently bought some top quality basmati rice, just too see if there is any difference to standard quality in flavor etc. we found when cooking it that we needed to use a 1:1 ratio of rice to water so it absorbs much less water than standard basmati rice which usually is 1:1.5 so even from one basmati rice to another the absorption factor can differ quite a bit.

the top quality basmati rice was nicer in flavor and aroma but it absorbed much less water. It also bled a lot of water into curries which ruined them while eating so back to the standard basmati for awhile and maybe we will try some different top quality basmati in the future and see how that goes.....

Advertisement