Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

De Facto Relationships Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 yami1686

I was also told 6 months. I did some searching around when I applied and the time seemed to vary from 2-6 months. I think it is very case-by-case and also dependent on how many applications they have in. Presumably summer holidays might also have an effect?

I think previously in this thread I listed all the things I included, which include the things you were told about. Keep in mind this is permission to remain on the basis of a durably attested long-term commitment. It isn't the same as a student or work visa.. So yes, definitely have everything in order that would indicate this commitment before you apply.

The problem of course, is not the commitment but the fact that one of use (me) would not be able to work for a possible 6 months! It is quite an endeavour to move countries and 6+ months without being able to work is quite difficult. In Belgium I was able to continue working while the process was ongoing because I had my own permit from before.

We have all the documentation we need (as we already went through this process): pictures, emails, trips together, joint bank account, etc.

Here's hoping for the best!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭perfectblue

good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭davepatr07

Hi,

I just want to query this and see if someone out there knows or can point me in the right direction. Sorry if this has come up before earlier on the thread but I think it might be a different situation. I'm (Irish) currently in NZ and engaged to my Filipino partner who is a nurse here. We are looking at some stage to return to Ireland, how does that effect her and would she be able to enter Ireland as a resident or would she have to go on a visitor visa and apply in Ireland for residency? Thought I would ask around.

Cheers

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 20 adublinguy

Hi,

My girlfriend (Brazil) and I (Irish) are planning on applying for the De Facto visa. We are together 2 years and are confident we can put a good case of evidences together. Our main concerns relate to the fact that she is a) not currently in the country (although she has spent 6 years in total in Ireland on student visas) and b) we both had planned on volunteering abroad towards the end of the year (for up to a year). So the main questions we have that I would be very grateful if someone could answer are:

1) Can we apply if my girlfriend is out of the country? I assume GNIB would know this based on the fact there is no current/valid visa in her passport pages? Is this the type of thing they check for?

2) If an application is approved, how long do we have to bring the approval letter to a Garda Station to receive the Stamp 4? i.e. if we receive the approval letter in September and we are out of the country, can we wait until we are back in Ireland in December to get the stamp?

Thanks in advance for any help

I'm just replying to the second question here. You have a limited time allowance to actually go to the INIS and get the new gnib card..it tells you when you get the letter stating the application has been successful. I can't remember off hand how long it is but it's definitely not as long as you would need upto December if you are accepted in sept

Our application (OH is Brazilian) also took 6 months exactly.

I would also explicitly make a point in your application that you are planning to travel together for a long period.. As they really are picky in regards to the applicant being outside the country for so long.. As it states when you get the granting letter that she should remain in the state but can travel for longer periods for family emergencies etc... I'm not sure how strict they are in enforcing this though, but definitely something to bare in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 adublinguy

ggn wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the fee (300 euro) for GNIB is applied for facto relationship as well?

Yes it is.if you are granted any new stamp (4 or 3) you also need a new gnib card which will cost 300. Technically the application is free but the new card isn't!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 JFK20

I am a US citizen (non-EU citizen) and have applied, via the EU1 application to INIS for recognition of my Defacto relationship with an EU citizen in Ireland. They have confirmed receipt of my application and say that it will be dealt with in the next few weeks.
    I arrived on a 90 day visitor approval. I intend to stay and work. The instructions state that permission to remain may be granted while they process my application. My focus now is being eligible to work. If/when my application is approved, I understand that I will not need a work permit.
    My question is about, in the interim. If they are satisfied that sufficient documentation has been provided, then they will provide me with an 'immigration stamp', good to remain for a period of time sufficient for them to complete the processing of my application, but WHAT STAMP? Will I be eligible, in the interim, to work and given that the recognition of my Defatco partner status is pending, would I be eligible to work with a permit?
    I posed the question to them today, I was referred to the instructions for the EU1 form, which does not answer the question of WHAT STAMP and if I will be eligible to work.
    The answer should be much simpler than it seems to be however I find myself posting this, to the general public.
    Anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ay.Jul

hey there, when did u apply for this? a mean what day did u send ur application? how long it take until you get an answer??

I'm planning to apply as well at the end of September and I'm very nervous about it as my visa is good until November.

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Morpork

Once your application is processing you can legally stay in Ireland until you get a reply. I'm not sure how quickly you have to leave if it's rejected, however.

My girlfriend and I applied for the visa about a month and a half before her working holiday visa expired. It took 2-3 months to get the defacto visa with stamp 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ay.Jul

Hey Morpork, what did u do when ur girlfriend visa expired? did they give u another one?or how did they decide to do it so she can stay in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭perfectblue

JFK20 wrote: »
    I am a US citizen (non-EU citizen) and have applied, via the EU1 application to INIS for recognition of my Defacto relationship with an EU citizen in Ireland. They have confirmed receipt of my application and say that it will be dealt with in the next few weeks.
    I arrived on a 90 day visitor approval. I intend to stay and work. The instructions state that permission to remain may be granted while they process my application. My focus now is being eligible to work. If/when my application is approved, I understand that I will not need a work permit.
    My question is about, in the interim. If they are satisfied that sufficient documentation has been provided, then they will provide me with an 'immigration stamp', good to remain for a period of time sufficient for them to complete the processing of my application, but WHAT STAMP? Will I be eligible, in the interim, to work and given that the recognition of my Defatco partner status is pending, would I be eligible to work with a permit?
    I posed the question to them today, I was referred to the instructions for the EU1 form, which does not answer the question of WHAT STAMP and if I will be eligible to work.
    The answer should be much simpler than it seems to be however I find myself posting this, to the general public.
    Anyone know?

I'm not sure what the EU1 application is, but I don't think your interim stamp will be one that gives eligibility to work, since that is usually stamp 4 and lasts a year. possibly you'll receive an extension on your 90 days (when that expires).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭rgt320q

Hi, my fianceé and I submitted our De Facto application last week, though we've still had no word as to it's receipt by the office there. In any case, she just finished her master's degree for which her results are due this week and she has had her visa extended to this Friday (20th) to cover this (after 7 years on a stamp 2), and should be getting another extension for her graduation ceremony in mid-November. I'm just concerned with the release of her results and the expiration of her visa being so close together that the processing time for the next extension may run over the 20th deadline and may reflect badly on our De Facto application - would anyone here have an insight as to whether this would be the case? Also, were any others here given confirmation that their application had been received? how soon after submitting?

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 alianoelle

rgt320q wrote: »
    Also, were any others here given confirmation that their application had been received? how soon after submitting?

Our de facto application was mailed on Aug 22 by registered post, and received by INIS on Aug 26. We have still not received any confirmation of receipt from them, but I spoke to the front desk at Burgh Quay, and he said that there is a massive backlog at the moment and that it is taking 4-6 weeks for them to even open the applications. Everyone was extremely nice at Burgh Quay, but they all were pretty clear that it is an extremely long process with no precise timelines available.

If/when I get our confirmation of receipt, I'll update this post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Soyabean

Hey I was just wondering if anyone knows if my boyfriend and I qualify for De Facto status?
    He is a US citizen and I am Irish. We met 3 and a half years ago in the US where I was a student. We were together for 6 months (not living together) and then I had to return home to Ireland. We maintained a long distance relationship for almost 2 years- with several trips made back and forth. We have both met each others friends and family members and have lots of photos to prove it.
    In March 2013 I moved back to the US to be with him. We are living together in his parents house, so we do not have a lease or utility bill, but we do have other documents like bank statements that show the same address. My visa expires in a month and I will have to move back again. We want to see if he can move to Ireland instead.
    I'm just wondering if our 3.5 year relationship will qualify, even though we have only lived together for 8 months in the US and he has only ever visited Ireland, never lived there.
    Any insight would be great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

Soyabean wrote: »
    Hey I was just wondering if anyone knows if my boyfriend and I qualify for De Facto status?
    He is a US citizen and I am Irish. We met 3 and a half years ago in the US where I was a student. We were together for 6 months (not living together) and then I had to return home to Ireland. We maintained a long distance relationship for almost 2 years- with several trips made back and forth. We have both met each others friends and family members and have lots of photos to prove it.
    In March 2013 I moved back to the US to be with him. We are living together in his parents house, so we do not have a lease or utility bill, but we do have other documents like bank statements that show the same address. My visa expires in a month and I will have to move back again. We want to see if he can move to Ireland instead.
    I'm just wondering if our 3.5 year relationship will qualify, even though we have only lived together for 8 months in the US and he has only ever visited Ireland, never lived there.
    Any insight would be great!

Yes, you should be ok. Read my previous posts in this thread for more info.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Riat

hi,

Thanks to all here who helped me submit my De facto application,I submitted today finger crossed for to be approved ,financial evidence and all other things are strong but worried about one year and three months as today I read it should be 2 years atleast ,let see.

If approved what is procedure done at garda registration any ideas as I am bit concern about this paragraph they mentioned on web site

" If the application is successful the Applicant will receive a permission letter form INIS. Then the Applicant AND the Sponsor will be required to attend at their local Registration Office to register the Applicant as resident in the State on the basis of being the partner of an Irish National or an Irish Resident. Details in respect of registration and renewal of registration will be provided in correspondence issued by the De Facto Section".

this mean sponsor who is not Ireland citizen need to Irish citizen or it is just related going their and getting stamp they are giving me ,if anybody have any idea what going on that day please let me know as my partner bit worried as he loose his right in his country .

Thanks

FYI, followers of this thread might be interested in my post in one of the other relevant forums noting that the INIS website content on de facto permits has recently been updated.

I want to know,how long it takes for confirmation letter to come from De facto application,I am worried as my stay here is expired I was thinking I will receive next day or after three days ,do they send confirmation letter or directly decision on it,I don't have any proofs to go to Garda office to tell them I am waiting for this visa and it is in process,I have receipt from post office but address is not mentioned ,how garda people believe me I am waiting for application,if it is taking time I dont know what I have to do next,hope to hear from you ,it been 6 working days by now,do anybody hear on this soon or after how many days ,thank you.

Riat, we have been waiting for almost 6 weeks and have not yet had any confirmation. Burgh Quay told me that unfortunately there is a large backlog at the moment and that it was taking 4-6 weeks for mail to the de facto department to be opened...so you may be waiting a while longer I'm afraid. I'll update this if I get any news.

Thanks Alainoelle,I know you were waiting for this ,I will also let you know if any information on this,did u call them this week ,my worries is till one month I can wait but after that will be problem for me to stay here I guess ,hoping post office people help me as I send an application to following address.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Bb2013

Sent my application on the 20th of May and got the approval on the 30th of September, whew!

• Advertisement

Bb2013 ,did you get any confirmation after u submitting on May 20th and after how many days did you received confirmation letter from them

Got an email from INIS today to say that I have been granted Stamp 4 for twelve months based on my de facto relationship. So all in all that worked out at about 5 weeks. We had a very straight forward application, that was as clearly laid out as possible, so I imagine it took less time to investigate and process.

I know that the not knowing is hard, but I think that INIS is doing their best to improve the process...hence the updated website.

Good luck to everyone else!

Great news ,happy for you,only 5 weeks great and without confirmation letter cool,I am trying to call them today and see what happens ,thanks alianoelle

You can try calling, but I'm pretty sure the hotline has been discontinued, and there are no other numbers. Your best bet for communication is probably by post or dropping off mail in person at Burgh Quay. Good luck!

I will go to office and see what happens ,thanks for help

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Tazza_OZ

Hi everyone,

I'm a successful defacto applicant that's about to go into renew after 12mths and whilst trying to get further clarification on what I need to provide to support the renewal of the GNIB card and defacto status being extended I've noticed alot of comments on here about people still waiting for an answer...

Like alot of you I was waiting ages with no reply.. back then there wasn't a ph no to call that gave u a person, there was only an email address and a mailing address - I sent letters almost begging for a reply to help them along a bit but as there seemed to be so many applications those emails and letters didn't get any answer.

So I went for a more pro-active approach and went in nearly every day for 2 weeks to the reception area at the front of the building (not the area that gives you tickets, the 1st reception area). I found a lovely younger guy on reception there who was able to empathize with my/our situation being that I had already been on a work permit and was only swapping from that to a stamp 4. Also I told him how we were saving for a house and that without the stamp 4 change I was unable to take on a 2nd job or a better paying 1.

Also highlighted that I'd tried all other avenues of contacting my case worker but was unsuccessful and that I was really worried I had missed some kind of correspondence from them etc. He then called the defacto dept (which is upstairs in that same building) and spoke to them. they were out to lunch at least 3 of the days I tried to start with but I got the case workers name so eventually she was there and available to call down to talk to me face to face on the last day I went into (about 2wks later having gone into the office every day or every 2nd day).

The lady explained she had been meaning to contact me for a few weeks but had overlooked it.. In my case the delay was purely due to me not having provided proof of my partner’s employment in Ireland - noting that if you Irish partner isn't employed in the state (Ireland) then the can reject the application. She told me I could hand deliver the letter to her the next day and it would then be processed and approved. I did this and whilst it did still take another week or so to receive the official approval letter I at least knew it was approved and only a matter of days to get the official letter etc.

I do feel sorry for the workers in that office as they are very much trying to get through the applications as quickly as they can but I do recommend to all of you applying, make sure you are pro-active and don't be shy about chasing up daily on it!!! Without the face to face contact of goin in to the office daily I was just another pile of paperwork - by putting the face to the application the humanity of how real your application and your desire as a couple to make a life in Ireland can be felt and hopefully clear up any paperwork that might be missing or under question.

In the end my application was received in May and approval came out to me approved as of 9th October - and that was last year when they didn't have the lovely detailed information on their website explaining what to include like they do now!!

Anyway I wish you all the best of luck with it and I hope this info has been of some help to those feeling a bit lost in the paperwork and disheartened by the waiting :)

2ND TOPIC: ANYONE WHO HAS GONE TO RENEW / EXTEND THEIR DE FACTO STAMP 4 STATUS - CAN YOU HELP ME WITH WHAT YOU NEEDED TO SHOW DOCUMENTATION WISE TO RENEW PLEASE?

THE APPROVAL LETTER IS VERY VAGUE AS WELL AS THE WEBSITE SAYING "YOUR APPROVAL LETTER GIVES INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO RENEW/EXTEND" WHICH IS BASICALLY A LOOP!!

I'm hoping to not have to go into the GNIB office more than once if we need more documentation to support the renewal/extension which why I'm hoping somebody else out there has gone through the renewal process recently and can share their experience and what was asked documentation wise...?

Thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 BrainM

Hi guys,
    I wounder if you could help me. Maybe anyone was in the similar situation.
    My girlfriend and I applied for de facto in May and we still didnt get anything but my current visa will expire in 2 weeks.
    I am here on graduate scheme visa now (finished a degree and was was able to work for a year). So I have a job right now. My contract will finish in the middle of November. Will I be able to work this month until I get a reply about my visa?
    Do you know if they extend the current visa on the same conditions that your are?

Thanks alot!

Hi,

I am same situation as you BrianM,I visa is expired still waiting to extend ,I need to go to them regarding that ,in email they said I need to keep application form and send orginal passports ,do anybody know what is application form and do anybody submitted original passports ,they said they received application but sending back the documents as I need to include application form and original passports,I am waiting for documents and letter still to reapply again and go to renew visa ,its been two week my visa is expired and writing emails to them ,hope to hear from you,thank you

I got back all the documents yesterday by registered post and letter after two weeks of submission to attached EU 1 form and send original passports and in EU 1 form they mentioned medical insurance which I didnt kept before,do anybody have ideas of insurance which is cheap for both of us ,I checked medical insurance they are costly around 495 for one individual ,I will submit again with missing documents but I need to renew GNIB ,I dont know should I do before posting or after posting as passport will be with them ,I m afraid to go to renew GNIB as it is expired one week before and hope not I cant submit De facto application ,I want to go to them after result of De facto ,seems like they are doing very quickly these days ,hope to hear from you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 BrainM

Hey Rita.
    I am not sure about quick as they still haven't even looked at our application!!!!!

Advertisement