Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pregnant to get the full rate

Options
  • 17-07-2013 9:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭

So I was talking to a mate of mine last night in the pub. He is a course coordinator or some title like that with unemployed school leavers from 15 up to 21 years doing silly Fetac level 2-3 things. Anyway he told me a few of the 16-17 year old girls on the course are getting pregnant so when they do turn 18 they will be entitled to the lone parent rate and not the reduced rate of JA and the grand prize of child benefit every month. They actually admitted it to people in the centre that was why they got pregnant. Ffs they are only kids themselves and are having babies as assets not because they actually want a child to love and cherish THEY AREN'T CATTLE A BABY SHOULD NEVER BE BROUGHT IN TO THIS WORLD FOR FINANCIAL GAIN.

Thought I would post this as I know after hours loves stuff like this xD

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

.........This will end well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

Not so sure this is new though... has this not been going on for years, in one guise or another?

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭JonSnuuu

Chris___ wrote: »
    doing silly Fetac level 2-3 things.

Oh dear...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

He is a course coordinator or some title like that with unemployed school leavers from 15 up to 21 years doing silly Fetac level 2-3 things.

That's a very silly and ignorant comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,414 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Sounds like sound financial planning,fair play to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

This has a reek of, "I have a mate and went drinking on a Tuesday" about it.

Who gives a f**k about hearsay. They might be thick enough to get knocked up in order to get benefits, or they might be stupid enough to get knocked up on a one night stand, some might even want a child and are just being controversial for the craic.

Why concern ourselves with it, now let's start a thread about bankers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

A man down the pub told you?

Must be true then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

That's a very silly and ignorant comment.

No it's not Niall most of these girls and guys left school because they wanted the training allowance. Most if not all of them would do very well sitting the Junior and Leaving certs and going on to college.

It's shocking the only ambition these girls/boys have is to get money off the state. When I was there age I was working on building sites throughout Munster and I still do today :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Rates of teen pregnancy have consistently fallen over recent years. Of course, the old 'they're getting pregnant to get a house/social welfare/insert other thing that everyone moans about here' stories are still doing the rounds.

http://www.irishhealth.com/article.html?id=19411
    http://www.thejournal.ie/teen-pregnancy-ireland-933254-May2013/
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/archives/2012/1117/world/teenage-pregnancy-levels-at-lowest-since-1966-214221.html

CSO figures: There were 1,720 births to women under 20 in 2011 that number fell by five per cent to 1,639 in 2012. That's fewer than 3% of all births.

So huge numbers of teenage girls getting knocked up then. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭Seedy Arling

I bought these magic beans off a fella down the pub before.

Fcuking robbed!

• Advertisement

A man down the pub told you?

Must be true then.

A man I know for 10 years who I have done work for in the past. It's not just hearsay there are people in this country who will sponge the DSP for their whole lives

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

RachaelVO wrote: »
    Not so sure this is new though... has this not been going on for years, in one guise or another?
    Yeah, when I was in third year in 2005 or so, girls were getting pregnant so they'd get a council flat faster when they left school after the junior cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

200 quid a week to look after a child 24/7/365??

let them at it

No it's not Niall most of these girls and guys left school because they wanted the training allowance. Most if not all of them would do very well sitting the Junior and Leaving certs and going on to college.

It's shocking the only ambition these girls/boys have is to get money off the state. When I was there age I was working on building sites throughout Munster and I still do today :)

Perhaps some do do that, but I feel your comment is pretty harsh on anyone who is genuinely attempting to improve themselves via one of these courses. I think you'd be better of labelling as silly the people who are supposedly trying to milk the State, rather than the courses that actually provide an opportunity to people who haven't followed a traditional academic path.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭JonSnuuu

College isn't for everyone, maybe they can't afford it etc. Don't criticise others for getting an education and dismiss it as "silly" just because it doesn't live up to some imaginary standard in your head.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭mathie

Its far too early for this $hit.

Theres a guy works down the chip shop, swears he's Elvis.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

mathie wrote: »
    Its far too early for this $hit.

And I'm two days from retirement...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

More bloody developers trying to shift the blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Ireland has one of the lowest teenage pregnancy rates in the world check here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teenage_pregnancy#Prevalence refrence is UN stats division.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

So I was talking to a mate of mine last night in the pub. He is a course coordinator or some title like that with unemployed school leavers from 15 up to 21 years doing silly Fetac level 2-3 things. Anyway he told me a few of the 16-17 year old girls on the course are getting pregnant so when they do turn 18 they will be entitled to the lone parent rate and not the reduced rate of JA and the grand prize of child benefit every month. They actually admitted it to people in the centre that was why they got pregnant. Ffs they are only kids themselves and are having babies as assets not because they actually want a child to love and cherish THEY AREN'T CATTLE A BABY SHOULD NEVER BE BROUGHT IN TO THIS WORLD FOR FINANCIAL GAIN.

That is highly ignorant. As someone that volunteers to teach people literacy and numeracy at this level, you need to get off your high horse in rapid fashion. Not everyone is lucky enough to have an education.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,982 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

So I was talking to a mate of mine last night in the pub.
    enough said

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

And also you realize that such information is strictly confidential Chris? Limerick is a small place. Your friend is most likely going to be in a lot of trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

I bet the OP didn't expect this backfiring on him.

True some people on these FÁS and VEC courses were not doing well in school but a big majority of them just go on it for the training allowance.

As a tax payer I have no problem with people receiving child benefit but it should be paid out in the form of vouchers just like food stamps in the US to stop people using it to pay for car insurance or the plasma TV.

I also think lone parents should be made to go out and seek work when the child reaches 4 years of age

In the post office the other day there was a woman screaming at the teller because her friend got the back to school allowance and she didn't while waving a vodafone bill screaming "how am I supposed to pay this" like they have control of the DSP

BTS should be administered through the schools on behalf of the department of education and not given to the parents to spend as they like.

True some people on these FÁS and VEC courses were not doing well in school but a big majority of them just go on it for the training allowance.

As a tax payer I have no problem with people receiving child benefit but it should be paid out in the form of vouchers just like food stamps in the US to stop people using it to pay for car insurance or the plasma TV.

I also think lone parents should be made to go out and seek work when the child reaches 4 years of age

In the post office the other day there was a woman screaming at the teller because her friend got the back to school allowance and she didn't while waving a vodafone bill screaming "how am I supposed to pay this" like they have control of the DSP

BTS should be administered through the schools on behalf of the department of education and not given to the parents to spend as they like.

Again, total and utter bullsh!t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

Not sure if you've thought this one through.

Are you saying that people who get CB in cash payments are not feeding their children?

Just checking. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

You won't be getting my vote wiith those policies OP....nor will your 'friend' down the pub.

It's almost certainly not the majority.

This doesn't work.

Quite a baffling suggestion to be honest.

• Advertisement

It's almost certainly not the majority.

This doesn't work.

Quite a baffling suggestion to be honest.

Between the ages of 4-6 and 7-12 most children that age are in school until 2-3pm. No excuse for a woman not to go out and work between these hours. A lot of women do.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement